The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+3
James100
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 29 Jun 2019, 4:59 pm

Surrey have named a squad of 13 for this week’s Specsavers County Championship match with Yorkshire, starting at Scarborough on Sunday.
Of the professional squad, ten are unavailable for selection in this match. Yikes Club captain Rory Burns has not been included in the squad having been unwell over the last 48 hours. Rolling Eyes Ben Foakes will lead the side.
On the plus side Matt dunn has recovered from his ankle injury Very Happy
Yet again there is still no update on Virdi Headscratch
FULL SQUAD
Ben Foakes (c)
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Jordan Clark
Rikki Clarke
Sam Curran
Matt Dunn
Dean Elgar
Will Jacks
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
Jacks and Clark to miss out possibly, it would be very harsh on Dunn to miss out.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sat 29 Jun 2019, 6:18 pm

Good man, JimBob. Thanks for this.

I fear Dunn will miss out. You don't often change a winning team (except where the skipper has had the squits for 2 days!) and so Clark might keep his place. Fairly common knowledge now that Dunny rolled his ankle the day before the Warks game playing football with team mates at the Oval. Rolling Eyes

Patel to just edge Jacks out and possibly open with Stoneman.

I understand there's no restriction on how much Sam Curran can bowl in this game. Surrey were very unhappy about the ECB limiting him to 30 overs for the Warks game and were going to leave him out before Dunn got crocked - that's why he wasn't named in the original squad.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by James100 Sun 30 Jun 2019, 10:51 am

Surrey bowling, Jacks and Dunn miss out

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Jun 2019, 11:43 am

Should be noted we opted for a toss, so clearly wanted to bat first at Scarbados
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 30 Jun 2019, 2:52 pm

bad toss to lose Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 30 Jun 2019, 3:06 pm

1st bowling point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 30 Jun 2019, 3:20 pm

Yorks 5 down for a little over 200. 3 for Clark.

On paper at least, Yorks have a very decent bowling line up for this match but a long tail. Get 'em all out today for under 300 and it'll be a good job well done.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 30 Jun 2019, 5:20 pm

annoying 45 runs partnership for the 9th wkt mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 30 Jun 2019, 5:51 pm

327 all out, 77 for the last 2 wkts
would have taken it at 187 for 1 though

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 30 Jun 2019, 6:43 pm

48 for 0 at stumps Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Jun 2019, 6:48 pm

I would say that is an excellent day for Surrey. Not on top in the game, but at 187-1 it looked like they might be batted out of it, and now we have a shot tomorrow to bat Yorkshire out of it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 30 Jun 2019, 7:46 pm

Didn't see any play but have to clap Clark for his fivefer. He's been poor much of this season but was a lot improved with the ball last time out against Warks.

Good as well to bat through the last 14 overs without loss. We'll need to continue applying ourselves tomorrow - Yorks have 5 decent (or more than decent) frontline bowlers in their line up.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 30 Jun 2019, 10:04 pm

Agree that we have come back well, in a fast moving game

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 30 Jun 2019, 10:21 pm

Unable to make Scarborough this year, but based on my elderly parents feedback it was an excellent day for batting, except for about an hour when the tide brought completely different overhead conditions. It is a shame that the batters we unable to see this period out, as Patterson and Coad showed what could have been.

Tide is an hour later tomorrow so Surrey have a real chance to be up near 400 by the time conditions shift. A long day in the field beckons for YCCC.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Mon 01 Jul 2019, 11:45 am

Elgar falls to Coad for 24

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 01 Jul 2019, 3:02 pm

Stoneman goes to a century and then is given out caught behind in what I can only describe as the worst umpiring decision I have ever seen - he's missed it by a country mile, clearly hit his body/jumper and given out caught behind

Nonsense
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 01 Jul 2019, 3:03 pm

https://twitter.com/_marcus_hook/status/1145688415134003200?s=21

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 01 Jul 2019, 3:15 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Stoneman goes to a century and then is given out caught behind in what I can only describe as the worst umpiring decision I have ever seen - he's missed it by a country mile, clearly hit his body/jumper and given out caught behind

Nonsense

I dont think anyones going to belive that Stoneman actually scored a century. The umpire shouldve done this far sooner to save the fielding sides embaressment and shame.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 01 Jul 2019, 3:17 pm

I agree it was a poor call, but I have seen many worse. Using stills never gives an accurate picture:

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Stonem10

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 01 Jul 2019, 3:55 pm

2nd batting point clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 01 Jul 2019, 5:25 pm

3rd and final batting point
Apart from rocky, yet again the rest of the batsmen have let us down Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 01 Jul 2019, 6:05 pm

2 thru 8 all made over 20, but none went onto 50 - not good enough really, even if there is clearly something in the pitch for the bowlers, at least one of them has to take on the responsibility and go on.

Would say Yorkshire have the slight advantage now, with Surrey having to bat last
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 01 Jul 2019, 6:08 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:2 thru 8 all made over 20, but none went onto 50 - not good enough really, even if there is clearly something in the pitch for the bowlers, at least one of them has to take on the responsibility and go on.

Would say Yorkshire have the slight advantage now, with Surrey having to bat last
spot on olly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 01 Jul 2019, 7:38 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:2 thru 8 all made over 20, but none went onto 50 - not good enough really, even if there is clearly something in the pitch for the bowlers, at least one of them has to take on the responsibility and go on.

Strongly agree with Olly's opening coment. It even ended up being 2 to 9 and it's fair enough to include the number 9 there as he (Clark) is meant to be an all rounder. Some may remember he scored a century against us not long ago!

I'll hold fire on who has the advantage. For one reason, I haven't seen any of the stream. I don't know how well the Maharajah bowled today (thought he would have bowled more before lunch when I glimpsed the score). However, I am conscious that we too often turn to jelly when up against a quality spinner 4th dig. Against that, we do have a 35 run lead - it would be very handy and put us in a decent position to have 'em at least 1 down before they reach parity.

One thing I am annoyed about is Clark getting out with only 2 overs left until stumps, presumably biffing away as he had hit boundaries off the previous 3 balls. Fair enough to do that to get us and JimBob a 4th batting point but once that was accomplished, the approach should have been to bring the shutters down, bat out the day and bring 'em back to bowl and field in the morning. Now their openers have as much time as they need to prepare for their knock and know exactly when it will be starting.

Anyway, tomorrow is Day 3. A day we must win. Moving Day.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 02 Jul 2019, 6:44 am

Yorkshire will fold to 180ao, Surrey to win by 8 wickets.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 02 Jul 2019, 11:50 am

LondonTiger wrote:Yorkshire will fold to 180ao, Surrey to win by 8 wickets.

Tiger's fears for his Yorkies unjustified so far. 34/0 better justifying my annoyance at Clark for chucking his wicket away late last night and allowing the Yorks openers to prepare as well and as much as they wanted. Currently they're 34/0 off 11 overs, just 1 run short of parity. 6 bowled on the reel by Morkel, that'll be it for him for a while.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 02 Jul 2019, 6:30 pm

Yorkshire 268 ahead 1 wkt left a very interesting last day ahead Erm

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 02 Jul 2019, 6:40 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Yorkshire 268 ahead 1 wkt left a very interesting last day ahead Erm

Yeah, I just wish we had all of the last day to bat.

An evil Surrey supporter would be hoping now that Morkel can smack one on the Maharaja's bowling hand early in the morning .... EDIT: Rats! he's already back in the hutch. He'll be sending a few done on day 4 for sure.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : As above.)

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 02 Jul 2019, 10:10 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Yorkshire 268 ahead 1 wkt left a very interesting last day ahead Erm

100 less would be interesting! Why did Clark only bowl 3 overs? Injured? Or back to the bowler we all know?

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 03 Jul 2019, 11:36 am

56 and counting for the 10th wicket now, wonder when they'll declare?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 03 Jul 2019, 11:51 am

thegooch7 wrote:56 and counting for the 10th wicket now, wonder when they'll declare?!

Think we should now look to bat out a draw personally - if we'd wrapped it up quickly then I would've fancied a chase, but now getting 320 in 70 odd overs? Seems unlikely to me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 03 Jul 2019, 11:52 am

thegooch7 wrote:56 and counting for the 10th wicket now, wonder when they'll declare?!

All out now but that that last Yorkie wicket got away more than we wanted. A maiden 50 as well for Coad, hmmm - Morkel shouldn't be allowing that.

318 to get in 83 overs. Possible but very difficult. Keep the wickets until tea and then charge.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 03 Jul 2019, 1:13 pm

Good platform at lunch 68-0, need 250 off minimum 63. That's 4ish an over, do-able if we can keep in touch with the rate and keep wickets in hand. If only we'd knocked that last wicket over cheaply!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 03 Jul 2019, 1:39 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Good platform at lunch 68-0, need 250 off minimum 63. That's 4ish an over, do-able if we can keep in touch with the rate and keep wickets in hand. If only we'd knocked that last wicket over cheaply!!

Bang on the money there, Goochie.

As well as the spinner Maharaj, Patterson won't be easy to get away. Patterson tends to go unnoticed but he's a handy performer. Expect those two to put in a few shifts between now and stumps.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 03 Jul 2019, 2:44 pm

An hour into the afternoon and going ok. Not far behind the rate and only lost Stoneman.

Patterson going at 2.9 and the Maharaja at 3.4 whist the other three going between 4 and 5.5. I'm sure that shows where the bulk of the overs will be coming from.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 03 Jul 2019, 2:55 pm

Borthwick gone for an enterprising 24, Patel in now, need these 2 to see us to tea, then launch the assault afterwards, with Clark at 9 no need to shut up shop

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 03 Jul 2019, 3:32 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Borthwick gone for an enterprising 24, Patel in now, need these 2 to see us to tea, then launch the assault afterwards, with Clark at 9 no need to shut up shop

Agree Gooch - Foakes, Curran, Smith, Clarke and Clark all capable of scoring quickly, but need to be given a platform and freedom to do so
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 03 Jul 2019, 3:37 pm

...and we promptly lose Elgar, then Foakes for nothing.

Shut up shop time now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 03 Jul 2019, 3:37 pm

Cue the collapse, came to a standstill, then 2 wickets before tea

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 03 Jul 2019, 3:37 pm

You could be right Olly, need 5 an over now as well

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 03 Jul 2019, 3:39 pm

Wtf is going on, 5 down now!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 03 Jul 2019, 3:41 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Wtf is going on, 5 down now!!

Managed to turn a position where we might win, into a position of near certain loss within 10 minutes picard
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 03 Jul 2019, 3:45 pm

8 balls we had to survive to tea, now they can surround the bat....33 overs is looking a long way off to survive now

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 03 Jul 2019, 4:04 pm

Just caught up with the score - we've lost at least 1 wicket too many to try for the win. Shut up shop, garden and chat between overs to make sure they don't get more than the minimum number and try to force the draw. That can be the only realistic aim now. Bl**dy annoying though - a couple of overs before the break we were decently placed.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 03 Jul 2019, 4:08 pm

looks like Jason Roy has heard about the surrey score Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 03 Jul 2019, 4:10 pm

Who was at fault for the stupid run out? mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 03 Jul 2019, 4:11 pm

6 down steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 03 Jul 2019, 4:20 pm

5 wkts for 6 runs raspberry raspberry raspberry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 03 Jul 2019, 4:21 pm

Oh what a horror show ...6 / 27 yikes

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 03 Jul 2019, 4:55 pm

18 overs left Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next