Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by Pot Hale on Mon 01 Jul 2019, 4:56 pm

Eir customers were informed last week that they will no longer get BT Sport and associated channels for free from next season.

Sky Ireland are launching a new Sports Extra package for subscribers to pay one price for that will carry PRO14, Premiership rugby, Champions Cup, and Champions League soccer.    

That will leave Eir fighting for sports fan customers.


Last edited by Pot Hale on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6620
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 97
Location : Duffling

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by St John The Enforcer on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 9:52 am

Interesting to see how Sky can sell Premier sports in Ireland.

Premier sports is a management buyout of Setanta UK while Eir bought Setanta Ireland.

Not sure how the deal shakes out between the 2 but presume that Eir would have first dibbs in the 26 counties.

Meaning that there would no longer be a "one stop shop" for Irish provincial Rugby with Eir losing BT Sports.

St John The Enforcer

Posts : 382
Join date : 2013-05-30

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by profitius on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 10:18 am

So if we want champions cup rugby which is a tiny part of the sky/BT package, we'll have to pay for everything? These companies are ripping people off big time.

IPTV Whistle
profitius
profitius

Posts : 4260
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by geoff999rugby on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 11:09 am

profitius wrote:So if we want champions cup rugby which is a tiny part of the sky/BT package, we'll have to pay for everything? These companies are ripping people off big time.

IPTV Whistle

Welcome to the World of UK rugby

I'm surprised it lasted so long to be honest

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by maestegmafia on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
profitius wrote:So if we want champions cup rugby which is a tiny part of the sky/BT package, we'll have to pay for everything? These companies are ripping people off big time.

IPTV Whistle

Welcome to the World of UK rugby

I'm surprised it lasted so long to be honest

I agree with that. If fans want to see the massive budget teams exist then they have to pay for it.

We’re the days of supporting your home club which was full of local players not international super stars really that bad? It was more conducive to international rugby, it was more economically viable too.

What are the running budgets of the top English and french teams these days? £20m ???

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22707
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 5:00 pm

This is brilliant news for the PRO14 in Wales, as more people are purchasing SKY Sports for the Premier League, the PRO14 will be more exposed thus creating more interest.

I cannot imagine the Irish fans will be happy about this though.

LordDowlais

Posts : 13832
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by Pot Hale on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 11:13 pm

LordDowlais wrote:This is brilliant news for the PRO14 in Wales, as more people are purchasing SKY Sports for the Premier League, the PRO14 will be more exposed thus creating more interest.

I cannot imagine the Irish fans will be happy about this though.

The PRO14 will still be on Premier Sports in Wales.   Possibly will also be available to purchase separately with BT Sport from the Sky Sports Extra package in addition to paying for the Sky Sports package if they wish.  

Eir are a crap service provider and their customer care stinks - although their sport division has improved its content.   Sky Ireland will offer the Sports Extra package on its own which will have BT Sport 1&2 and Prem Sports 1&2.  Not sure what they will do in the UK.  It probably wont be on the Sky Go list.


Last edited by Pot Hale on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6620
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 97
Location : Duffling

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by geoff999rugby on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 11:24 pm

LordDowlais wrote:This is brilliant news for the PRO14 in Wales, as more people are purchasing SKY Sports for the Premier League, the PRO14 will be more exposed thus creating more interest.

I cannot imagine the Irish fans will be happy about this though.

It makes no difference to Wales - the set up is the same as before - the set up you have condemned.
Makes no difference to Northern Ireland fans either
As I said just put people in the Irish Republic in the same boat, as all parts of the UK

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by Pot Hale on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 11:47 pm

profitius wrote:So if we want champions cup rugby which is a tiny part of the sky/BT package, we'll have to pay for everything? These companies are ripping people off big time.

IPTV Whistle

No. There will be the Sky Sports package. Separate. And you can also buy as well or instead, Sky Sports Extra package which will have BT and Prem Sport. Those two will give you PRO14, Premiership Rugby and all the Champions Cup games plus the Champions League, Serie A and some GAA games.

Eir Sport cannot be happy with that outcome. Am really glad that I didn’t sign up with them last year after all theyre messing about with their installation.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6620
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 97
Location : Duffling

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 9:37 am

This is great news for me, I have both BT sports and all the SKY Sports channels, although I decided against buying Premier Sports out of principle.

I can now watch my beloved Merthyr and catch up with the Pro14 on the box. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Posts : 13832
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by tigertattie on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 9:45 am

LordDowlais wrote:This is great news for me, I have both BT sports and all the SKY Sports channels, although I decided against buying Premier Sports out of principle.

I can now watch my beloved Merthyr and catch up with the Pro14 on the box. Yahoo

You'll likely find you need to pay extra to add this new rugby channel to your package!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 7019
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 9:52 am

tigertattie wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:This is great news for me, I have both BT sports and all the SKY Sports channels, although I decided against buying Premier Sports out of principle.

I can now watch my beloved Merthyr and catch up with the Pro14 on the box. Yahoo

You'll likely find you need to pay extra to add this new rugby channel to your package!

Nope, I pay the full whack for my Sky as it is. I think it's called Sky World, it states you get every channel that they provide and all the on demand stuff, I need everything, as my girls all watch different stuff, I also pay for Netflix for them. Of course if any of them wanted Premier sports I would have bought it, but as it was only me who was interested, I decided to give it a miss out of principle.

LordDowlais

Posts : 13832
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 9:57 am

LordDowlais wrote:This is great news for me, I have both BT sports and all the SKY Sports channels, although I decided against buying Premier Sports out of principle.

I can now watch my beloved Merthyr and catch up with the Pro14 on the box. Yahoo

So you pay Sky Sports and BT Sports which cost far more - even if directly through packages but not Premier Sports which shows the Welsh rugby region games out of principal ?

Strange use of the word principle  Headscratch

Also do you think they will add in Premier Sports for free - not a chance

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by St John The Enforcer on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 9:59 am

tigertattie wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:This is great news for me, I have both BT sports and all the SKY Sports channels, although I decided against buying Premier Sports out of principle.

I can now watch my beloved Merthyr and catch up with the Pro14 on the box. Yahoo

You'll likely find you need to pay extra to add this new rugby channel to your package!

Of course you will. You will have to subscribe to the "Sky sports extra" package which includes premier and BT. If you currently get BT because you subscribe to their broadband then it will cost A LOT more. I'm sure it will be cheaper to pay the 10er extra for Premier. If you currently pay separately for BT (a tiny minority I would guess) then it may work out.

In the 26 counties of Ireland you can subscribe to "Sky sports extra" but the Pro14 will not be available to you on Premier Sports until at least the 2021/22 season as Eir sport have the exclusive rights until then.

And there were people on here last year who were saying Premier and Eir were "the same company"  Laugh

St John The Enforcer

Posts : 382
Join date : 2013-05-30

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 10:15 am

geoff999rugby wrote:Strange use of the word principle

I have my principles, as do you I would wager, are you questioning mine ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 13832
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by rodders on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 10:32 am

Right so I subscribe to premier, but not sky sports...can I still watch pro14?
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25347
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 10:34 am

Not at all - but I doubt you really understand the meaning of the word principle.
Sound to me you are making a simple economic decision and would rather pay the higher rates that Sky Sports and BT Sports cost than
the cheaper rates of Premium Sports.
That is fine, if it works for you, but the moral outrage you have expressed about Premier Sports charging for Pro14 games rings hollow when you are prepared to pay more for other sports providers.

When your package provider ask for more money, as they will, to show Premier Sports, will you pay or not pay on principle ?

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 10:35 am

St John The Enforcer wrote:
And there were people on here last year who were saying Premier and Eir were "the same company"  Laugh

I thought the same Whistle

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 10:38 am

rodders wrote:Right so I subscribe to premier, but not sky sports...can I still watch pro14?

I would assume so - in the same way you can get BT Sports on Sky and Vice Versa and can get both on Virgin.
Simple case of those providers paying to show the channels and passing the cost onto to the customer.
Which is why anyone thinking it will be added to their current package without cost is delusional

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LondonTiger on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 11:07 am

geoff999rugby wrote:
rodders wrote:Right so I subscribe to premier, but not sky sports...can I still watch pro14?

I would assume so - in the same way you can get BT Sports on Sky and Vice Versa and can get both on Virgin.
Simple case of those providers paying to show the channels and passing the cost onto to the customer.
Which is why anyone thinking it will be added to their current package without cost is delusional

Anyone still in a contract for Sky World Package - that covers all their channels - gets new channels added for no charge, for the length of the contract. Once the contract comes to an end then new charges apply - these can actually go down if the previous one was covering the cost of equipment.

It should be noted that right now the cost for a brand new customer for every channel (and any new ones in teh next 18 months) is around £100 pcm. I cannot justify that kind of payment, others can I am sure. Thus I get BT Sports allowing me to watch Premiership and European rugby and Now TV for anything else I really want to watch on a PPV basis - or go to my Brothers and watch his Sky Very Happy

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 22202
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by geoff999rugby on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 11:27 am

Fair enough - but £100 pcm just for TV !!!

Looking at my Virgin TV package - I pay less than £60 for all of that except Sky Sports (which I can add when I want and it would still be less) which drops below £50 when I unsubscribe to Premier Sports for 3/4 months a year.
Ok I don't get Sky Atlantic but is one channel worth it ?? - not in a million years.
I have flexibility, with that package you are trapped into a contract paying top dollar.

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 12:00 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Not at all - but I doubt you really understand the meaning of the word principle.

How very arrogant and condescending you are. Rolling Eyes

geoff999rugby wrote:Sound to me you are making a simple economic decision and would rather pay the higher rates that Sky Sports and BT Sports cost than
the cheaper rates of Premium Sports.  

This is not an economic decision, not one jot, I am lucky enough to be in a position where I can afford most things I want due to my financial position. Money is not the point of this for me.

geoff999rugby wrote:That is fine, if it works for you, but the moral outrage you have expressed about Premier Sports charging for Pro14 games rings hollow when you are prepared to pay more for other sports providers.

Not once have I expressed moral outrage over the cost of this, in fact, you can find numerous comments on other threads on this forum where I have said it's a good deal.

This just proves, that your motives on confronting this subject with me, is less to do with the subject, and more to do with me as a member on this forum.


Last edited by LordDowlais on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Posts : 13832
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 12:02 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:
rodders wrote:Right so I subscribe to premier, but not sky sports...can I still watch pro14?

I would assume so - in the same way you can get BT Sports on Sky and Vice Versa and can get both on Virgin.
Simple case of those providers paying to show the channels and passing the cost onto to the customer.
Which is why anyone thinking it will be added to their current package without cost is delusional

Anyone still in a contract for Sky World Package - that covers all their channels - gets new channels added for no charge, for the length of the contract. Once the contract comes to an end then new charges apply - these can actually go down if the previous one was covering the cost of equipment.

It should be noted that right now the cost for a brand new customer for every channel (and any new ones in teh next 18 months) is around £100 pcm. I cannot justify that kind of payment, others can I am sure. Thus I get BT Sports allowing me to watch Premiership and European rugby and Now TV for anything else I really want to watch on a PPV basis - or go to my Brothers and watch his Sky Very Happy


It's not just for TV though, it's my phone line rental, it's my unlimited fiber optic internet and a lot of other things.

LordDowlais

Posts : 13832
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by marty2086 on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:That is fine, if it works for you, but the moral outrage you have expressed about Premier Sports charging for Pro14 games rings hollow when you are prepared to pay more for other sports providers.

Not once have I expressed moral outrage over the cost of this, in fact, you can find numerous comments on other threads on this forum where I have said it's a good deal.

This just proves, that your motives on confronting this subject with me, is less to do with the subject, and more to do with me as a member on this forum.

Well that's a lie

What principle are you standing up for exactly?

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 5:02 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:That is fine, if it works for you, but the moral outrage you have expressed about Premier Sports charging for Pro14 games rings hollow when you are prepared to pay more for other sports providers.

Not once have I expressed moral outrage over the cost of this, in fact, you can find numerous comments on other threads on this forum where I have said it's a good deal.

This just proves, that your motives on confronting this subject with me, is less to do with the subject, and more to do with me as a member on this forum.

Well that's a lie

What principle are you standing up for exactly?

The fact that I think the Pro14 selling out to Premier Sports is a good thing, in my opinion, it's not. It is short term gain, for long term pain.

Also, I am not doing this with you, but I will say in all honesty, that I have said it is a good deal on more than one occasion, on other threads, so please do not drag this one down, with point scoring and the what not.


LordDowlais

Posts : 13832
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by marty2086 on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 5:11 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:That is fine, if it works for you, but the moral outrage you have expressed about Premier Sports charging for Pro14 games rings hollow when you are prepared to pay more for other sports providers.

Not once have I expressed moral outrage over the cost of this, in fact, you can find numerous comments on other threads on this forum where I have said it's a good deal.

This just proves, that your motives on confronting this subject with me, is less to do with the subject, and more to do with me as a member on this forum.

Well that's a lie

What principle are you standing up for exactly?

The fact that I think the Pro14 selling out to Premier Sports is a good thing, in my opinion, it's not. It is short term gain, for long term pain.

Also, I am not doing this with you, but I will say in all honesty, that I have said it is a good deal on more than one occasion, on other threads, so please do not drag this one down, with point scoring and the what not.


You said geoff was attacking you rather than the claim then told a bold face lie, excuse me for pointing out you told a bold face lie as I took your advice and looked for the comments you said exist...they don't so you claiming others are trying to point score is quite hilarious

Didn't you think that Eir were going to be showing all games from Ireland and Premier all games from the UK? Erm

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LeinsterFan4life on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 5:53 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:That is fine, if it works for you, but the moral outrage you have expressed about Premier Sports charging for Pro14 games rings hollow when you are prepared to pay more for other sports providers.

Not once have I expressed moral outrage over the cost of this, in fact, you can find numerous comments on other threads on this forum where I have said it's a good deal.

This just proves, that your motives on confronting this subject with me, is less to do with the subject, and more to do with me as a member on this forum.

Well that's a lie

What principle are you standing up for exactly?

The fact that I think the Pro14 selling out to Premier Sports is a good thing, in my opinion, it's not. It is short term gain, for long term pain.

Also, I am not doing this with you, but I will say in all honesty, that I have said it is a good deal on more than one occasion, on other threads, so please do not drag this one down, with point scoring and the what not.

Do you not see how this is yet again one of those situations where the pro 14 simply can't win with you guys. For years the arguments on here were about how poor the tv deals were and then when they go out and get a much bigger tv deal... the same people complain again.

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 5286
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 29
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 8:05 pm

I'm not complaining this time though. thumbsup

SKY Sports has a much wider audience than Premier Sports do, this gives the league a lot more exposure, and lets be honest, everybody and their dog buy Sky Sports for the football, now they will not be able to watch the football without at least coming across the Pro14 in some way or another.

That is what it's all about, exposure.

LordDowlais

Posts : 13832
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by LeinsterFan4life on Wed 03 Jul 2019, 9:28 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I'm not complaining this time though. thumbsup

SKY Sports has a much wider audience than Premier Sports do, this gives the league a lot more exposure, and lets be honest, everybody and their dog buy Sky Sports for the football, now they will not be able to watch the football without at least coming across the Pro14 in some way or another.

That is what it's all about, exposure.
You're talking like they can just pick and choose which broadcaster they want to be on. If Sky sports are selling your league short, than you have to look at other options...

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 5286
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 29
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by BamBam on Thu 04 Jul 2019, 9:24 am

Unless I'm being dumb, doesn't this deal only affect those in the ROI?

Sky and BT have signed a content sharing deal in the UK which was meant to go live in early 2019, but there's been no mention of it recently. There was also no mention of Premier Sports at the time, so unless something has changed on that end, I'm not sure that anyone outside of the Republic will see anything different when it comes to the Pro14 coverage 

Premier have the rights in the UK for the next two seasons at least, they'd have to agree to a similar deal with both Sky and BT, which may be tricky

BamBam

Posts : 15884
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by marty2086 on Thu 04 Jul 2019, 10:22 am

BamBam wrote:Unless I'm being dumb, doesn't this deal only affect those in the ROI?

Sky and BT have signed a content sharing deal in the UK which was meant to go live in early 2019, but there's been no mention of it recently. There was also no mention of Premier Sports at the time, so unless something has changed on that end, I'm not sure that anyone outside of the Republic will see anything different when it comes to the Pro14 coverage 

Premier have the rights in the UK for the next two seasons at least, they'd have to agree to a similar deal with both Sky and BT, which may be tricky

No you're spot on

Given how things are going for Sky at the moment and the content they're losing you'd expect them to try and go hard for the Pro14 this season which would drive up the price. You might even have Amazon, YouTube or Facebook sniffing around if Premiers numbers are impressive enough

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by The Oracle on Thu 04 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

So, will this actually be any ‘better’ than it is/was recently for Lord Dowlais? Or will it just be the same for him for the 19/20 season? I can’t see that it will be any different/better for him, from what I’ve read.
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2624
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by BamBam on Thu 04 Jul 2019, 7:23 pm

I don't think anything changes outside of the Republic of Ireland, so it'll be exactly the same. That's not to say Sky couldn't end up agreeing a similar deal in the UK, they already have the BT part signed

BamBam

Posts : 15884
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by maestegmafia on Thu 04 Jul 2019, 11:53 pm

BamBam wrote:I don't think anything changes outside of the Republic of Ireland, so it'll be exactly the same. That's not to say Sky couldn't end up agreeing a similar deal in the UK, they already have the BT part signed

Which is why a lot of our Irish mates are not very happy

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22707
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 1:45 am

maestegmafia wrote:
BamBam wrote:I don't think anything changes outside of the Republic of Ireland, so it'll be exactly the same. That's not to say Sky couldn't end up agreeing a similar deal in the UK, they already have the BT part signed

Which is why a lot of our Irish mates are not very happy

Well I’m happy which is why I created the topic which referenced Eir Sports in Ireland getting outbid for the BT re-broadcast rights and then Sky packaging Premier Sports with it . Not sure why people have assumed I was writing about the UK.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6620
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 97
Location : Duffling

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by maestegmafia on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 7:34 am

Pot Hale wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
BamBam wrote:I don't think anything changes outside of the Republic of Ireland, so it'll be exactly the same. That's not to say Sky couldn't end up agreeing a similar deal in the UK, they already have the BT part signed

Which is why a lot of our Irish mates are not very happy

Well I’m happy which is why I created the topic which referenced Eir Sports in Ireland getting outbid for the BT re-broadcast rights and then Sky packaging Premier Sports with it .  Not sure why people have assumed I was writing about the UK.  

I am glad that you’re happy Pot

Exciting time of year in the build up to the new season. I am guessing that I’ll go with the sky deal too.

Do you have a link?

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22707
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by BamBam on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 9:25 am

Unless I'm mistaken and you're in Ireland, you physically can't go with the Sky deal maesteg

BamBam

Posts : 15884
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 5:32 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
BamBam wrote:I don't think anything changes outside of the Republic of Ireland, so it'll be exactly the same. That's not to say Sky couldn't end up agreeing a similar deal in the UK, they already have the BT part signed

Which is why a lot of our Irish mates are not very happy

Well I’m happy which is why I created the topic which referenced Eir Sports in Ireland getting outbid for the BT re-broadcast rights and then Sky packaging Premier Sports with it .  Not sure why people have assumed I was writing about the UK.  

I am glad that you’re happy Pot

Exciting time of year in the build up to the new season. I am guessing that I’ll go with the sky deal too.

Do you have a link?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/eir-confirm-that-customers-will-no-longer-receive-bt-sport-free-of-charge-1.3942893
ove
Hmmm - on second reading of the above article and others, and then looking at the revised Sky Sports Ireland link - https://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sports-extra/ that's been put up, I'm now wondering if journalists have jumped the gun in assuming that PRO14 rugby on Premier Sports will be shown in the Republic of Ireland or if some/all of these games will be geo-blocked against Eir Sport and/or TG4 showing them.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6620
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 97
Location : Duffling

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by St John The Enforcer on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 6:41 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
BamBam wrote:I don't think anything changes outside of the Republic of Ireland, so it'll be exactly the same. That's not to say Sky couldn't end up agreeing a similar deal in the UK, they already have the BT part signed

Which is why a lot of our Irish mates are not very happy

Well I’m happy which is why I created the topic which referenced Eir Sports in Ireland getting outbid for the BT re-broadcast rights and then Sky packaging Premier Sports with it .  Not sure why people have assumed I was writing about the UK.  

I am glad that you’re happy Pot

Exciting time of year in the build up to the new season. I am guessing that I’ll go with the sky deal too.

Do you have a link?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/eir-confirm-that-customers-will-no-longer-receive-bt-sport-free-of-charge-1.3942893
ove
Hmmm - on second reading of the above article and others, and then looking at the revised Sky Sports Ireland link - https://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sports-extra/ that's been put up, I'm now wondering if journalists have jumped the gun in assuming that PRO14 rugby on Premier Sports will be shown in the Republic of Ireland or if some/all of these games will be geo-blocked against Eir Sport and/or TG4 showing them.
I mentioned that on Wednesday. ALL of the games will be geo blocked for the next 2 seasons

St John The Enforcer

Posts : 382
Join date : 2013-05-30

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by St John The Enforcer on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 6:46 pm

St John The Enforcer wrote:
In the 26 counties of Ireland you can subscribe to "Sky sports extra" but the Pro14 will not be available to you on Premier Sports until at least the 2021/22 season as Eir sport have the exclusive rights until then.

And there were people on here last year who were saying Premier and Eir were "the same company"  Laugh

St John The Enforcer

Posts : 382
Join date : 2013-05-30

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 05 Jul 2019, 7:35 pm

St John The Enforcer wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
BamBam wrote:I don't think anything changes outside of the Republic of Ireland, so it'll be exactly the same. That's not to say Sky couldn't end up agreeing a similar deal in the UK, they already have the BT part signed

Which is why a lot of our Irish mates are not very happy

Well I’m happy which is why I created the topic which referenced Eir Sports in Ireland getting outbid for the BT re-broadcast rights and then Sky packaging Premier Sports with it .  Not sure why people have assumed I was writing about the UK.  

I am glad that you’re happy Pot

Exciting time of year in the build up to the new season. I am guessing that I’ll go with the sky deal too.

Do you have a link?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/eir-confirm-that-customers-will-no-longer-receive-bt-sport-free-of-charge-1.3942893
ove
Hmmm - on second reading of the above article and others, and then looking at the revised Sky Sports Ireland link - https://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sports-extra/ that's been put up, I'm now wondering if journalists have jumped the gun in assuming that PRO14 rugby on Premier Sports will be shown in the Republic of Ireland or if some/all of these games will be geo-blocked against Eir Sport and/or TG4 showing them.
I mentioned that on Wednesday. ALL of the games will be geo blocked for the next 2 seasons

So it's the soccer, football and hurling on Premier Sports that is the possible draw for fans along with the BT offering on soccer and Euro Cup rugby.
Eir Sport/TG4  will have the PRO14 and the RWC matches.
TV3/Virgin for 6 Nations.

Oh well.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6620
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 97
Location : Duffling

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by RugbyFan100 on Fri 26 Jul 2019, 11:04 am

profitius wrote:So if we want champions cup rugby which is a tiny part of the sky/BT package, we'll have to pay for everything? These companies are ripping people off big time.


Shocked You poor thing. Welcome to our world.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1665
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by The Oracle on Fri 26 Jul 2019, 11:56 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
profitius wrote:So if we want champions cup rugby which is a tiny part of the sky/BT package, we'll have to pay for everything? These companies are ripping people off big time.


Shocked You poor thing. Welcome to our world.


Yeah, I thought that was just the norm Headscratch
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2624
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by Lagon on Sat 27 Jul 2019, 1:26 am

.


Last edited by Lagon on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Lagon

Posts : 82
Join date : 2019-04-30

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by RugbyFan100 on Sat 27 Jul 2019, 11:02 am

Lagon wrote:Rugbyfan100, want to play a game? All legal.

Stop harrassing me.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1665
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport  Empty Re: Sky get rights to BT SPort, Champions Cup and Premier Sport

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum