The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champagne Super Over

+2
Gooseberry
LondonTiger
6 posters

Go down

Champagne Super Over Empty Champagne Super Over

Post by LondonTiger Mon 15 Jul 2019, 9:28 am

So, how are people feeling today? 

If that was a film script, no one would believe it. I watched it and do not believe it.

New Zealand did not deserve to lose that game and if ever a title should have been shared that was perhaps it. After a four year period where England have been the best one day team, winning in all conditions, it would be churlish to begrudge them the ultimate win.

To the plucky losers, don't look back in anger, and remember Kane, you're our wonderwall.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Champagne Super Over Empty Re: Champagne Super Over

Post by Gooseberry Mon 15 Jul 2019, 10:17 am

I'm actually increasingly realising just how much England winged it at the end there. There were marginal moments both ways ( including the bad wide call) but the ones that favoured England were so unusual.

The atmosphere in Lords was something else, even more electric than the Ashes 2005 victories.

All in it's been a very good world cup ( rain aside) after a tepid start. Maybe it was more engaging because England were favourites and made the final but it didnt get as much of a drag toward the end if the groups as I'd expected.
Also the new kookaburas and pitch preparation showed gave something back to clever bowlers. Its interesting just how much tactics evolved through the tournament as a result. First of it was bowl first and use leg spinners, then raw pace, then bat first, then slower balls and cutters became the most valuable currency in most games.

England didnt have it laid on a plate for them through this either. The flatbtrack bullies tag had some merit, and they have struggled more with these short chases than they had pulling back 350 plus scores in the build up to the world cup. But they adapted and handled the pressure, and showed they could beat strong bowling teams in chases even when the ball was moving.

Theyve beaten all the best sides ( except Pakistan who really deserved a semi spot as much as new zelaand did), and had to win in different ways and different conditions. They are deserved winners evening the final was a bit ridiculous and they relied on some silly laws.

So now the talk is about the legacy ( remember the Ashes?) and what a boost this is. Think of all the casual and new fans who will be drawn to the show piece event this summer....the 100.
Oh.

What channel is golf on?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 15 Jul 2019, 12:16 pm

It was an amazing experience only my 3rd trip to Lords and one I'll never forget.

Stinking headache this morning, really feel for NZ they really didn't deserve to lose.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 15 Jul 2019, 12:58 pm

Totally gutted with the result but that's how it goes and it was a good game

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 15 Jul 2019, 1:05 pm

Steffan wrote:Totally gutted with the result but that's how it goes and it was a good game

Its always gratifying for us to ruin the day of the anyone but England (and Wales) crowd.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 15 Jul 2019, 1:11 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
Steffan wrote:Totally gutted with the result but that's how it goes and it was a good game

Its always gratifying for us to ruin the day of the anyone but England (and Wales) crowd.

Same when we won the 6 nations this year I guess with you lot. Here's hoping we can get to the rugby world cup final this year and you can cheer on our opponents like you did in 2011 and 2015 and the football Euro 2016 knockout stages Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 15 Jul 2019, 1:56 pm

Mogg looking silly was funny though

Champagne Super Over Mogg10

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 15 Jul 2019, 2:13 pm

Ignoring Steffan's "input" , who's only interest is to troll on here when England win, it still feels good to have won even in that manner. That last hour, we had it won, then Buttler was out and it was lost, then it came back a bit. Boult caught Stokes and it was over, but he took one step too many back. I thought we'd win it after those overthrows, but we didn't. 15 off our over, I was certain it was enough, but when Neesham hit that six I thought we'd lost again.

Just an incredible roller-coaster finish, not something that I will ever forget

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 15 Jul 2019, 2:20 pm

VTR wrote:Ignoring Steffan's "input" , who's only interest is to troll on here when England win
Oh come on I am sure you can take a bit of banter. To be fair the pub I watched the game in had everyone (except me of course) cheering on England. Each to their own. Perhaps English success will encourage us Taffies to try and get a team together. We got the stadium for it at least. No decent players at the moment though sadly laughing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 15 Jul 2019, 2:35 pm

I don't mind it, just question you haven't been on here once until the day after England (and Wales) finally win something of note. Wales will probably never produce an overall competitive team, but have given us some cracking players, Simon Jones of course an amazing talent who had his career cut cruelly short

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 15 Jul 2019, 3:39 pm

Steffan its the England and Wales Cricket Board. E &W C B Whistle
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 15 Jul 2019, 8:06 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Steffan its the England and Wales Cricket Board. E &W C B Whistle
laughing

Which part of England and Wales is Eoin Morgan from then?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 17 Jul 2019, 11:28 am

The air in his lungs.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 18 Jul 2019, 7:22 am

At risk of further feeding the troll Morgan has a British passport, and is eligible for a full knighthood.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 19 Jul 2019, 9:16 pm

Best not let the hilarious duo on here know which part of New Zealand Colin de Grandhomme is from

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 19 Jul 2019, 10:00 pm

No wonder hes not been nominated for New Zealander of the year

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Wed 07 Aug 2019, 12:45 pm

Gooseberry wrote:At risk of further feeding the troll Morgan has a British passport, and is eligible for a full knighthood.
Morgan's eligibility has never been in question. What I do question is why he ever bothered to play for us Irish in the first place if playing for England was always his goal. This is international cricket not league football where a player can just use one club as a stepping stone to another and neither does it exactly help developing cricket nations.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Wed 07 Aug 2019, 12:48 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Steffan its the England and Wales Cricket Board. E &W C B Whistle
Wales should have its own cricket team rather than having to be a mere silent partner in the England setup no doubt about that. From what I have been told though the real enemy of Welsh cricket lays within, thus being the suits in Glamorgan CC who would rather rake in the cash from the ECB rather than help establish and international side for Wales to compete.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down