The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread

+21
eirebilly
Nathaniel Jacobs
compelling and rich
Eyetoldyouso
LondonTiger
Afro
alfie
king_carlos
Duty281
VTR
KP_fan
JDizzle
msp83
Dolphin Ziggler
Jetty
robbo277
Gooseberry
James100
Soul Requiem
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
25 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread - Page 4 Empty England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 17 Jul - 14:02

First topic message reminder :

England have announced their squad for the one off test match against Ireland, it is as follows

Joe Root
James Anderson
Moeen Ali
Jonny Bairstow
Stuart Broad
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Joe Denly
Lewis Gregory
Jack Leach
Jason Roy
Olly Stone
Chris Woakes

Lewis Gregory, Jason Roy & Olly Stone could make debuts.

James Anderson included & Jack Leach returns.

Buttler and Stokes are rested.

Wood & Archer not considered because of injury. Wood out for 4 to 6 weeks.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread - Page 4 Empty Re: England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread

Post by KP_fan Wed 24 Jul - 12:19

Not watching & curious to know how fast is this guy Murtagh?
what's his speed
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread - Page 4 Empty Re: England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread

Post by Gooseberry Wed 24 Jul - 12:20

Roys innings is looking pretty good in context

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 24 Jul - 12:20

Absolutely chuffed for Murtagh - sensational stuff
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Wed 24 Jul - 12:20

Good old Moeen all rounder supreme yet another failure.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Jul - 12:20

This is the new worst day in English cricket history, swiftly replacing some horror that happened in the Caribbean in 2019.

Murtagh's done a solid to eclipse Tendulkar and get on the honours board.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 12:20

alfie wrote:
eirebilly wrote:The track looks pretty decent for batting as well which is an even bigger shock...

Think it's quite decent conditions for bowling so far ... Doing a bit...but Ireland have surpassed any expectations Shocked

Seven down ! Murtagh on the honor board inside seventy five minutes clap

Aye the pitch is ok for bowling but its certainly not a fully bowling track, looks decent for batting as well.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Wed 24 Jul - 12:21

KP_fan wrote:Not watching &  curious to know how fast is this guy Murtagh?
what's his speed
73-75mph

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Jul - 12:22

what's his speed

Slower than McGrath.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 24 Jul - 12:22

Ireland are still 3/1

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 24 Jul - 12:23

Analysis later. Jokes are best for now I think.

Anyone care to predict the England total ? I'll say 75.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 24 Jul - 12:23

what's his speed

Hes just an average county player, hes bowling just over medium pace to get the maximum movement. 110-120kmph or thereabouts
The conditions are perfect for him with the green grass and high humidity.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 24 Jul - 12:24

im sure we'll be fine with the aussie 90mph + swing. its the really slow swing we struggle with Whistle

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 12:25

Watch Broad and Curran put on about 150 now...

Both can bat a bit.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 12:26

alfie wrote:Analysis later.  Jokes are best for now I think.

Anyone care to predict the England total ?  I'll say 75.

I think England will pass 130.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 24 Jul - 12:27

eirebilly wrote:
alfie wrote:
eirebilly wrote:The track looks pretty decent for batting as well which is an even bigger shock...

Think it's quite decent conditions for bowling so far ... Doing a bit...but Ireland have surpassed any expectations Shocked

Seven down ! Murtagh on the honor board inside seventy five minutes clap

Aye the pitch is ok for bowling but its certainly not a fully bowling track, looks decent for batting as well.

I think it will be later. A good toss to lose for Ireland. But I think there will be a bit for the bowlers even after lunch. If Ireland can get a half decent start they could be on for a healthy first innings lead .

Have to get young Sam out first mind...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Jul - 12:32

Duty281 wrote:England's top order is vulnerable and with a green top and the ball nibbling around, Ireland simply must do damage in the first hour. If they don't, it'll be a very long day in the field. A 98 over and seven hour day in this heat!

Yep, I think they did some damage!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 24 Jul - 12:34

Whew ! Made it to drinks ...

See , this is what you get when you make Boris Johnson Prime Minister Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 12:34

I am trying not to get ahead of myself with excitement here. So chuffed for the start that Ireland have made but they still have to bowl England out and make a score themselves to stand any chance. I cant see England collapsing like this in the second innings.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 12:44

Oh Ultra edge Very Happy

Great review from Ireland...

Sam Curran has some job to do now...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 24 Jul - 12:44

Not watching. Had a mate text me to say how well Ireland were doing.
Great so far, but we still have to bat yet.
Will have to keep checking my phone through the afternoon.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Jul - 12:47

10/11 on Bet365 that England score fewer than 95 runs in this innings. Might as well.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 24 Jul - 12:49

eirebilly wrote:I am trying not to get ahead of myself with excitement here. So chuffed for the start that Ireland have made but they still have to bowl England out and make a score themselves to stand any chance. I cant see England collapsing like this in the second innings.

Yeah there's a bit of cricket left in this yet. But Ireland ...who have just taken the eighth wicket !- are surely in with a chance of a solid first innings lead. Great review judgement again Ireland

If England are to fight back they'll need to display more a lot more gumption with the ball than this insipid effort from the bats.

Think they massively underestimated Ireland. You'd have thought they'd learned that lesson in West Indies a few months ago...

61/8 picard My 75 prediction looking reasonable.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 24 Jul - 12:50

This is dreadful, the price to pay for winning the World Cup?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 24 Jul - 12:52

And of course they have underestimated Ireland, the team looked very lopsided and undercooked from the start. Didn't expect anything this bad, but unproven top three plus a bunch of flaky allrounders it's not that surprising

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 12:53

67-9

75 AO is on the cards Alfie...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 24 Jul - 12:53

Saying all that, I actually think if England can get to about 120 they are in the game, as Ireland batting could be very bad as well

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Jul - 12:55

VTR wrote:Saying all that, I actually think if England can get to about 120 they are in the game, as Ireland batting could be very bad as well

This could be the first test match ever finished by stumps on day one!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 24 Jul - 12:58

Curran caught short leg...end is nigh.

Ireland on fire...but this is embarrassing.

I take your point about lopsided team , VTR : but in fairness they almost had to rest a couple of players - arguably should have rested more. And not too many ready made spares to put in their place. Perhaps it's what you get for prioritizing white ball cricket to the degree they have. And that did have its upside...

Do hope they turn up with the ball later on !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 13:00

How much cricket has Broad been playing recently? Not part of the ODI squad and I am not a great follower of CC so can anyone tell me if he has played much and if he is in some form? He could be crucial for England today.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Jul - 13:02

Stone playing the best shots of the innings. Gorgeous.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 24 Jul - 13:02

eirebilly wrote:I am trying not to get ahead of myself with excitement here. So chuffed for the start that Ireland have made but they still have to bowl England out and make a score themselves to stand any chance. I cant see England collapsing like this in the second innings.

Why not? They've already done it once. Maybe they will do something similar again. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Jul - 13:03

eirebilly wrote:How much cricket has Broad been playing recently? Not part of the ODI squad and I am not a great follower of CC so can anyone tell me if he has played much and if he is in some form? He could be crucial for England today.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/10617.html

One CC game in July, two in June, two in May. Figures from those games don't suggest he's firing on all cylinders.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 13:04

Pal Joey wrote:

Why not? They've already done it once. Maybe they will do something similar again. Very Happy

Being Irish, I am naturally negative of anything good done by Ireland Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 24 Jul - 13:07

Past my 75 now Smile

Olly Stone showing up the top order...or maybe it's getting a bit easier to bat. Which ain't great news for England's bowling prospects.

Five players from the WC squad have made , what : 5-2-0-0-0 ? So much for form carrying over...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 24 Jul - 13:08

85. Wow.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 13:08

85-AO

What a performance from Ireland clap
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 24 Jul - 13:09

eirebilly wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:

Being Irish, I am naturally negative of anything good done by Ireland Very Happy

You still gotta stand tall like yer song says though... especially when things are going well. Very Happy

There we go. 85 all out. Well done Ireland! clap guinness

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 13:10

Stand Up For Murtagh, What a performance by him clap

Excellent English crowd acknowledging his performance and showing him full respect. Quality clap
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Jul - 13:12

Duty281 wrote:10/11 on Bet365 that England score fewer than 95 runs in this innings. Might as well.

Ta! thumbsup

It was decent from Ireland, but nothing more. They pitched the ball up, put it in the right areas and asked questions of the England batsmen. Rather than answer those questions, the vast majority of England's batters surrendered their wickets without struggle. It was embarrassing and it's a darker day than the horrors abroad in New Zealand or the Caribbean.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 24 Jul - 13:13

Well done Ireland clap

5/13 for Murtagh ...extraordinary performance. Hats off to them regardless of the horror of the spineless England fold up.

I imagine any temptation to chuckle at Australia bowling itself out for ninety or so yesterday might be somewhat muted today Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 13:13

Since I am at home with a busted ankle, the sun is shining and Ireland are doing well in the cricket. I may be forced to have an early drink Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 24 Jul - 13:18

eirebilly wrote:Since I am at home with a busted ankle, the sun is shining and Ireland are doing well in the cricket. I may be forced to have an early drink Very Happy
How you break it this time, Billy? Not helicopter again? Hopefully you tripped over the dog.  Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 24 Jul - 13:20

Well that wasn't in the script.

England will have to bowl well to restrict Ireland, but there should still hopefully be some assistance. There are 74 overs left in the day and if Ireland bat all of those we're in trouble. If we can bat the whole of Day 2 and then some of Day 3 we've got a chance.

How many runs would be enough to win this test for England given Ireland will bat last? We've got 85, we could get 300 in the second innings but even that would require two on-the-money bowling performances.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Jul - 13:23

Pal Joey wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Since I am at home with a busted ankle, the sun is shining and Ireland are doing well in the cricket. I may be forced to have an early drink Very Happy
How you break it this time, Billy? Not helicopter again? Hopefully you tripped over the dog.  Smile

Herself has banned me from Helicopters Very Happy

Popped it very badly (hanging the washing out LOL) and I had to get it welded, in a big compression boot now.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Jul - 13:24

England did not lose 10 wickets in a session between 1938 and 2016. They have done this 4 times in their last 34 Tests:
v Ban Mirpur 2016
v NZ Auckland 2018
v Ind Nottingham 2018
v Ire Lord's 2019

Very telling.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 24 Jul - 13:36

guinness guinness

Reckon you could have two. Smile

I'm on antibiotics after some dental work so my scotch intake is best limited...probably just as well with that innings as I have to work tomorrow...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 24 Jul - 13:49

Expecting England to be batting again tonight, but let's see. Broad immediately bowling on a full length.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 24 Jul - 14:05

23 balls bowled so far and I can only count one being in the right area

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 24 Jul - 14:06

Duty281 wrote:Expecting England to be batting again tonight, but let's see. Broad immediately bowling on a full length.

Your optimism not squashed yet then Duty ?

Might happen. Or they might be chasing a lot of leather. Ireland batting doesn't look too strong. But England will be chastened by that awful collapse ...which can work two ways. Fire them up ; or lose heart quickly if they don't see early results.

Depends where their heads are I guess. Though pitch conditions look easier already...Woakes not looking too threatening so far.

I'll be interested to see what Stone can do.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 24 Jul - 14:20

Love my boy Sir Chris, but he ain't half bowled a Poopie spell here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next