PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Well done Shane Lowry!

2).I suppose it's fitting that, in this season of the compressed "Majors" calendar, that we have 4 x PGA Tour (recognised) events in two weeks.
The only surprise to me is that people still think this four-Majors-in-three-and-a-bit months plan is a good idea.
Anyway, the good news is that Lowry gets to be the last Major Champion for almost 9 months, rather like PFC holding the FA Cup for longer than any other team in history.

3).There'll no doubt be some sort of post mortem at season's end with, presumably, the PGA Tour and network broadcasters slapping each other on the back congratulating themselves on getting away with it, and most likely for the foreseeable future.
But how many players will echo the commentary of Justin Rose who clearly feels the rhythm of the season has been disrupted as the focus is now on the FedEx Cup and not the PGA (which, quite honestly, I can barely remember)?
"For me, major championships are the things which should be protected most. That's how all our careers are ultimately going to be measured." And he said that before The Open began.

4).Another surprise, because I clearly got it wrong, is that so few eligible players are giving the latest WGC in Memphis a miss. After five chose not to enter, only Shane Lowry opted to take the week off whereas I would have expected half a dozen more to sit it out. Oh well!

5).The "WGC-FedEx St Jude Invitational" gets underway shortly at TPC Southwind in the Memphis, TN, area. The weather should be perfect for scoring, highs of about 30C (cool by London standards), no significant wind and little to no threat of rain or storms.
The only wrinkle could be that water comes into play throughout the course, traditionally the course hosting a full-field with more water balls than any other. Not this year obviously as only 63 will be competing as they try to pad their bank accounts and FedEx point totals.
If you're not familiar with the course, it's a Par-71 (EDIT, Now apparently a Par-70), appropriately demanding for the Tour's rank-and-file who usually compete here, but not exactly a memorable challenge for the World's best.
One competitor who badly needs a strong performance is Alex Noren, and hopefully this will be just the place for him. Otherwise, Greensboro next week represents his final chance to secure his Tour card for next season - unless he plays the WTF series.

6).The Tour's second division are in the gorgeous Lake Tahoe area, playing the Barracuda Championship at scenic Montreux G&CC, the PGA Tour's version of Crans-sur-Sierre. They'll be playing the modified Stableford scoring system but most of those top pros qualified to be there have stayed away in droves.
We'll be following progress there regardless. Apart from the usual suspects, Messrs Harrington, Kaymer and Pavan will be there, whilst fellow Europeans (including Kaymer of course) will see the week as a second to last gasp for retaining their cards. It's a broken record in these notes but this lot includes:
Broken Record Laird
Broken Record Blixt
Broken Record Power
Broken Record Jaeger
Broken Record Cejka
Broken Record Straka

7).Hadn't realised that the 2026 Ryder Cup venue was just about to be announced and happy enough to see it go to Adare Manor, in Limerick. Which other venues were under consideration?

8).And, while we're at it, what about the quandary that the very excellent Portrush has placed the R&A in? It seems that Portrush is pencilled in for either 2024 or 2026 (does the Adare Manor announcement thus make 2024 more likely?). So far, we have:
2020: RStG
2021: St.Andrews
2022: Hoylake
2023: ? Presumably Muirfield?
2024: ? Portrush or Lytham?
2025: ? I wonder if they'll go back to TOC after just four years
2026: ? Lytham or Portrush?
The R&A can move in mysterious ways so no idea on any of that. Hopefully there's no collusion to get Turnberry included, despite its quality being unimpeachable.

9).I still don't understand why the Tour is so anxious to avoid the NFL - it certainly doesn't affect demand for US Open Tennis action and it won't impact demand for next year's Ryder Cup either. Hopefully the European Tour will capitalise appropriately and their top players will support the autumn European Tour schedule.

10).Trying to learn the words to Fields of Athenry - help Shane!


Last edited by kwinigolfer on Thu 01 Aug 2019, 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down


PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Sun 28 Jul 2019, 10:46 pm

It’s not that he doesn’t win. It’s how he plays.

pedro

Posts : 6844
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson on Sun 28 Jul 2019, 10:55 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:Watching golf when Rory is in contention after three rounds is getting extremely repetitive. You can pretty much guarantee he’ll shoot 4 or 5 shots worse than his main competition. I don’t know what support he has psychologically but, assuming he does have a sports psychologist, I’d suggest he needs a new one.


How would you account for his wins at The Players and in Canada?
Sure it's disappointing that he doesn't win every time he's in the shake-up, but how many do? Koepka will become the only player on Tour this year with more wins than Rory . . . . .

But when some suggest he is the world's best which is all kinds of wrong btw.....he hasn't won a major in 5 years now....Brooks is so far ahead of Mcilroy at the moment when it matters the most.

sirbenson

Posts : 2804
Join date : 2011-06-04
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:07 pm

Agree with that.
But he's that far ahead of the rest also.
Undeniable that today was disappointing. But he still beat 57 pros, only got beaten by 3.
Last week notwithstanding, Rory is incredibly consistent and how many would be against him winning another Major?

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson on Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:27 pm

Yes, I should have said that Brooks is miles ahead of the rest when it matters most! And yes Rory will add to his major tally as much as it pains me to say he's too good to go the rest of his career without winning major(s)

sirbenson

Posts : 2804
Join date : 2011-06-04
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock on Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:43 pm

Well done Brooks. Truly the best in the game today. Still, I feel the bloke from the Island of Ireland, has yet another gear. Time to win another major Rory.

Kwin, I would not bet against Rory to win another Major ... but really? Why not 5 - 10 more to put him in Tiger category? Shoot a bit higher. Game on for the lad.




Shotrock

Posts : 3538
Join date : 2011-05-10
Location : Philadelphia

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 12:05 am

Can Rory still wins majors? Of course he can, he’s a phenomenal player. It’s worth pointing out that Brooks is an incredible player and his 7 wins consist of 4 majors, 1 WGC and 2 regular PGA titles. Maybe Rory should try what Brooks does and concentrate only on the majors. Expend less efforts on the lesser events.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Posts : 1923
Join date : 2016-12-17

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 1:08 am

Fine win for Collin Morikawa, these guys are good!

And well done by Martin Laird, Jonas Blixt and Straka - they'll all retain/earn PGA Tour membership for 2019/2020.

Work ahead in Greensboro for Kaymer, Noren and Power.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 11:34 am

Hi, just an update on my weekly Sergio agenda.

Pea Brain limited his destruction to just a tee box this week. No caddies or greens hurt.

https://twitter.com/dylan_dethier/status/1155603291683926016?s=19
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 14827
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 11:44 am

McLaren wrote:Hi, just an update on my weekly Sergio agenda.

Pea Brain limited his destruction to just a tee box this week. No caddies or greens hurt.

https://twitter.com/dylan_dethier/status/1155603291683926016?s=19
Just a turf, isn't it?

pedro

Posts : 6844
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 12:05 pm

Don't get that Pedro.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 14827
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 12:06 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Agree with that.
But he's that far ahead of the rest also.
Undeniable that today was disappointing. But he still beat 57 pros, only got beaten by 3.
Last week notwithstanding, Rory is incredibly consistent and how many would be against him winning another Major?
It's about what he does when the heat is on cf. what he's capable of isn't it? We all know he can shoot really low when there's little/no pressure. Part of the negativity is due to the Woods-like publicity etc about him being God-like. Understandable, that, albeit not entirely McIlroy's fault. Great career by most standards, but if he's not careful, there'll be a lot of 'what might have been' appended to it when he's finished.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8801
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 12:09 pm

McLaren wrote:Hi, just an update on my weekly Sergio agenda.

Pea Brain limited his destruction to just a tee box this week. No caddies or greens hurt.

https://twitter.com/dylan_dethier/status/1155603291683926016?s=19
:yawn:
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8801
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Be_the_ball on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 2:05 pm

McIlroy looks like he's feeling the pressure, and I couldn't blame him. Who would really want to be in the limelight like that. He was under a huge amount of pressure for Portrush, and The Masters. He really is a focal point and selling point of The PGA Tour. It's a lot of pressure and even Woods couldn't handle that eventually. I wouldn't envy him on that front, I would like his golf swing but not the expectation that comes with it. I think he could do with a bit of a break. The expectation is so crazy even though he's having a great season he hasn't won major.

Be_the_ball

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Exiled Dub.

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Born Slippy on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 2:17 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:Watching golf when Rory is in contention after three rounds is getting extremely repetitive. You can pretty much guarantee he’ll shoot 4 or 5 shots worse than his main competition. I don’t know what support he has psychologically but, assuming he does have a sports psychologist, I’d suggest he needs a new one.


How would you account for his wins at The Players and in Canada?
Sure it's disappointing that he doesn't win every time he's in the shake-up, but how many do? Koepka will become the only player on Tour this year with more wins than Rory . . . . .

From memory, the Players threatened to go the same way but Fleetwood was equally poor (and the only player within 4 shots at the start of play) and failed to apply any pressure. Rory then pulled it together on the back 9. Canada was an outlier and a fabulous performance but part of me does still think it was just a warm up event, where the pressure was off just before a major.

I’d need to do some analysis but I strongly suspect that the times Rory has been in the final couple of pairs over the last few years in bigger events, he regularly has poor rounds - far more than would be expected for a top player. Clearly, he’s still a phenomenal player but it feels he could be much greater.

Born Slippy

Posts : 4401
Join date : 2012-05-05

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 3:57 pm

Gotta love Peabrain!

Shotrock

Posts : 3538
Join date : 2011-05-10
Location : Philadelphia

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 3:57 pm

pedro wrote:
Just a turf, isn't it?

"Just a turf"?

Hmmm? Were the greens that he damaged in Saudi Arabia, just turf?


Sergio, after Saudi incident wrote:"Happy to be in my first PGA Tour event of the season and have my brother on the bag again this year," "I’ve obviously had some time to reflect, and want to again say I’m sorry to my fans and fellow competitors. What happened is not an example I want to set, and it's not who I truly am. I am an emotional player and while I believe that's one of my biggest strengths, it's also one of my biggest flaws. I’m focused on working hard to channel that emotion the correct way and to be the best me, learn from it and move forward. Thanks for all the support."

Yep, he is working hard.

GPB

Posts : 6683
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 4:00 pm

The 2019-2020 PGATour schedule. Looks like the WGC-St Jude is going to conflict with Irish Open. Keith Pelley's blue eyeglasses are already in a knot.

2019-20 PGATour schedule:
PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Screen%2520Shot%25202019-07-29%2520at%25208.50.28%2520AM

GPB

Posts : 6683
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 4:15 pm

GPB wrote:The 2019-2020 PGATour schedule.  Looks like the WGC-St Jude is going to conflict with Irish Open.  Keith Pelley's blue eyeglasses are already in a knot.

2019-20 PGATour schedule:
PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Screen%2520Shot%25202019-07-29%2520at%25208.50.28%2520AM


GPB,
I just saw that; has it just been announced? Think I speculated that last week, but can't find it now!
The autumn schedule is packed!!

Ha! Yup, just saw my Friday comment on The Open thread - Golf Channel mentioned the date switch last week. I just hope enough European Tour players come out and tell Monahan b0ll0cks and play in Ireland. Wonder how Jon Rahm feels about it, for instance, Rory & Shane too?
Either the PGA Tour is tone deaf or deliberately, and maliciously, trying for death-by-a-thousand-cuts.
Rolex to Timex at a stroke.


Last edited by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by wiretapper on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 4:29 pm

Sure is a lot of tournaments going up against NFL games there. Do they get a discount?

wiretapper

Posts : 521
Join date : 2016-07-20
Location : Location : Location

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 4:31 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
GPB wrote:The 2019-2020 PGATour schedule.  Looks like the WGC-St Jude is going to conflict with Irish Open.  Keith Pelley's blue eyeglasses are already in a knot.

2019-20 PGATour schedule:
PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Screen%2520Shot%25202019-07-29%2520at%25208.50.28%2520AM


GPB,
I just saw that; has it just been announced? Think I speculated that last week, but can't find it now!
The autumn schedule is packed!!
once we get an update on more of the other Tours schedules, I'll update the multi tour graphic for 2019-20

robopz

Posts : 3394
Join date : 2012-04-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 4:35 pm

Sergios "Thanks for all the support." is a little generalised when you have guys like navy out there doing lots of hard work to defend him. Surely navy deserved to be mentioned by name?
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 14827
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 4:37 pm

wiretapper wrote:Sure is a lot of tournaments going up against NFL games there. Do they get a discount?
sponsor Tab for GC broadcast fall events over here go for about 3 million less per week than Network TV events.  That's basically the difference in the title sponsor advertising commitment.  Korea, Japan & HSBC are their own deals ans all three get premium very high title sponsor fees.

robopz

Posts : 3394
Join date : 2012-04-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 4:45 pm

Kwini... The sooner people realize the WGCs are PGA Tour properties, and the tour is going to schedule them for they damn well need to schedule them, everything will go a lot easier.

But there's two solutions really... 1) massively ignorant over-reaction and cutting off ET noses to spite their face like 2016, or... 2) move the Irish open for 1 year to another spot on the schedule.

There's only three weeks between the 2 opens next year anyway... So something was already going to have to change. Just figure it out and schedule the Irish as best they can without throwing another s**t-fit is the only winning play.

robopz

Posts : 3394
Join date : 2012-04-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 5:05 pm

Robo; It wasn't too long ago (2016) that the French Open's date on the schedule, two weeks before the Open Championship, was sacrosanct.

Three years late, the French Open is buried in the schedule, in late October. The other day I looked for it, and I honestly couldn't find it.

It seems like hosting a European Ryder Cup event is like asking Dr. Jack Kevorkian to your hospital bed.

K-Club used to host the European Open
Celtic Manor used to host Celtic Manor Open
Gleneagles used to host the Johnnie Walker

Pooooof, Dust in the Wind.




GPB

Posts : 6683
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 5:32 pm

GPB wrote:Robo;  It wasn't too long ago (2016) that the French Open's date on the schedule, two weeks before the Open Championship, was sacrosanct.

Three years late, the French Open is buried in the schedule, in late October.  The other day I looked for it, and I honestly couldn't find it.

It seems like hosting a European Ryder Cup event is like asking Dr. Jack Kevorkian to your hospital bed.

K-Club used to host the European Open
Celtic Manor used to host Celtic Manor Open
Gleneagles used to host the Johnnie Walker

Pooooof, Dust in the Wind.
A reminder it's all about sponsor value & timing. When French Open lost HNA it got the same treatment Houston Open got here when it got caught in "sponsorless no man's land".   If it's a prime spot (like it was for both Houston and the French Open), competing events with stronger sponsors swoop in like vultures to roadkill.

I think the problem with K-Club, Celtic Manor & Gleneagles was economy coupled with it's become just too high a ticket for these kinds of clubs resorts to have to self sponsor. And an independent title sponsor doesn't want to share the branding.  (Which is why PGAT might be seeing the end of Greenbrier after their commitment ends after 2021. That one will be solely dependent on if Jim Justice still feels like he needs the ego-stroking)


Last edited by robopz on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

robopz

Posts : 3394
Join date : 2012-04-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 5:34 pm

robopz wrote:Kwini... The sooner people realize the WGCs are PGA Tour properties, and the tour is going to schedule them for they damn well need to schedule them, everything will go a lot easier.

But there's two solutions really... 1) massively ignorant over-reaction and cutting off ET noses to spite their face like 2016, or... 2) move the Irish open for 1 year to another spot on the schedule.

There's only three weeks between the 2 opens next year anyway... So something was already going to have to change. Just figure it out and schedule the Irish as best they can without throwing another s**t-fit is the only winning play.  


That's all very well, robo, but what's a W(already long since a euphemism)GC without the World players (if not Worldwide locations)?

I love the Tour for what it brings to events all round (much of) the country, but it's increasingly parochial - and, in my opinion anyway, unhealthily so for a worldwide sport. Unlike, for instance, baseball.

Somewhat ironically now, about 30 years ago I travelled to England to make a corporate presentation about the compelling excellence of FedEx's worldwide service and why a 33,000-employee company should use it. Silly me, I should have realised their hidden agenda was to buy the PGA Tour and as much worldwide golf as it could get its hands on.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 5:47 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
robopz wrote:Kwini... The sooner people realize the WGCs are PGA Tour properties, and the tour is going to schedule them for they damn well need to schedule them, everything will go a lot easier.

But there's two solutions really... 1) massively ignorant over-reaction and cutting off ET noses to spite their face like 2016, or... 2) move the Irish open for 1 year to another spot on the schedule.

There's only three weeks between the 2 opens next year anyway... So something was already going to have to change. Just figure it out and schedule the Irish as best they can without throwing another s**t-fit is the only winning play.  


That's all very well, robo, but what's a W(already long since a euphemism)GC without the World players (if not Worldwide locations)?

I love the Tour for what it brings to events all round (much of) the country, but it's increasingly parochial - and, in my opinion anyway, unhealthily so for a worldwide sport. Unlike, for instance, baseball.

Somewhat ironically now, about 30 years ago I travelled to England to make a corporate presentation about the compelling excellence of FedEx's worldwide service and why a 33,000-employee company should use it. Silly me, I should have realised their hidden agenda was to buy the PGA Tour and as much worldwide golf as it could get its hands on.
 you have to go back to 2016 to understand why the PGA Tour did what it did. It knew the Olympics was coming up and was working for 2 years with the ET trying to find some win-win. PGA Tour was massively revamping their schedule to work in the Olympics, but ET was refusing to cooperate.  Finally Fincham just said forget it, this is where it's playing.  The solution in 2016 was so mind-numbingly simple. Switch the French Open with the BMW... Boom problem solved and the ET'S top-tier members aren't forced into a choice of one of the other.

But Pelley was trying to make his bones and went through all those wild gyrations with the French Open points while de officializing the WGC in an at attempt at some power play and to embarrass the PGAT,. What he accomplished in doing so was to find about the only lose-lose situation possible.

So come to 2020 and here's the bottom line... PGAT has no interest in a replay of 2016. (Trying to play nice and getting it shoved up their butts anyway).  So unlike 2016, hopefully this time Pelley was on board, and is trying to figure the win-win solution for the Irish open AND his membership.  And once again, because ET has so many open weeks to work with, it's mind-numbingly simple IF Pelley wants it to be.

robopz

Posts : 3394
Join date : 2012-04-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 5:54 pm

We'll see robo. But Pelley has shown he can be a first class idiot and I wouldn't trust him to make a sensible decision.
Plus this affects other tournaments, especially the "Scottish", it's not just the "Irish".
There's no place for a WGC in there, except via the gospel according to Memphis.

Too much compression! I blame the NFL . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 6:26 pm

McLaren wrote:Sergios "Thanks for all the support." is a little generalised when you have guys like navy out there doing lots of hard work to defend him. Surely navy deserved to be mentioned by name?
Tumbleweed
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8801
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 6:27 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:We'll see robo. But Pelley has shown he can be a first class idiot and I wouldn't trust him to make a sensible decision.
Plus this affects other tournaments, especially the "Scottish", it's not just the "Irish".
There's no place for a WGC in there, except via the gospel according to Memphis.

Too much compression! I blame the NFL . . . . . .
well I just hope it doesn't turn out to be an issue. Seems to me the week immediately after the US Open would have been better for the WGC anyway, if for no other reason than most of the top players would already be over here, but nobody asked me...:-)

And as far as FedEx what can I say. This Olympics scheduling situation aside, still unbelievable the Tour would adopt some third flight member-guest handicap format for what is supposed to be the Tour Championship of the preeminent tour in the entire world. All that's missing is a Calcutta and sandbaggers.


robopz

Posts : 3394
Join date : 2012-04-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 6:50 pm

robopz wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:We'll see robo. But Pelley has shown he can be a first class idiot and I wouldn't trust him to make a sensible decision.
Plus this affects other tournaments, especially the "Scottish", it's not just the "Irish".
There's no place for a WGC in there, except via the gospel according to Memphis.

Too much compression! I blame the NFL . . . . . .
well I just hope it doesn't turn out to be an issue.  Seems to me the week immediately after the US Open would have been better for the WGC anyway, if for no other reason than most of the top players would already be over here, but nobody asked me...:-)

And as far as FedEx what can I say. This Olympics scheduling situation aside, still unbelievable the Tour would adopt some third flight member-guest handicap format for what is supposed to be the Tour Championship of the preeminent tour in the entire world. All that's missing is a Calcutta and sandbaggers.


Well, it is a kinda Mulligan . . . . . . . . . or in this case Monahan.



kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 7:19 pm

McLaren wrote:Did Rory duff a 3 wood on 17? 238 carry is worse than I would get.

Love sacks.

super_realist

Posts : 24312
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 8:49 pm

Rich Beem suggests moving the Irish Open to be adjacent to the BMW PGA.

Probably makes too much sense for Pelley to acknowledge.

https://twitter.com/beemerpga/status/1155914631266934785

GPB

Posts : 6683
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 9:03 pm

GPB wrote:Rich Beem suggests moving the Irish Open to be adjacent to the BMW PGA.

Probably makes too much sense for Pelley to acknowledge.

https://twitter.com/beemerpga/status/1155914631266934785

That could make some sense from a golfing point of view, GPB, but the Irish Open is also part of a tourism showcase for the country; if you'd've tried to book air travel to Ireland for this summer, you might have been shocked at the prices - a big drop off later in the summer. Much more sensible to move the WGC, or perhaps you'd like to see everything, Open Championship and all, moved to comply with the BIG Tour?


kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 9:41 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
GPB wrote:Rich Beem suggests moving the Irish Open to be adjacent to the BMW PGA.

Probably makes too much sense for Pelley to acknowledge.

https://twitter.com/beemerpga/status/1155914631266934785

That could make some sense from a golfing point of view, GPB, but the Irish Open is also part of a tourism showcase for the country; if you'd've tried to book air travel to Ireland for this summer, you might have been shocked at the prices - a big drop off later in the summer. Much more sensible to move the WGC, or perhaps you'd like to see everything, Open Championship and all, moved to comply with the BIG Tour?

Kwini... I think the issue here is both the PGA and Euro Tours knew that a lot of compromises were going to have to be made to shoehorn the Olympics onto the schedule. And the Euro tour were huge supporters of getting golf in the Olympics.

But back in 2016 with Pelley new on the job, the ET became 100% entirely inflexible on any scheduling changes prior to the Open Championship. Meanwhile the PGA Tour moved everything around to accommodate the Olympics. Not some things, but everything between the opens (and some things after). The ET refused to move squat.

So the bottom line is... In the grand scheme of things, what are you going to protect first? A WGC? Or the French Open? Or the Irish Open? Bottom line is this takes some give-and-take... PGA Tour moved the 3M & Rocket Mortgage to get the WGC out of the way for the Olympics.

Now it's time for the European tour and Europeans to quit their bitchin and do their part... Sorry for the freaking inconvenience, but everybody else is doing their part to accommodate the Olympics, so sorry if I don't see the ET schedule as untouchable. Nobody said it was going to be easy, I don't think it was easy over here either (easier because we've been taking steps for 4 years to get ready for it with the ET having full knowledge this conflict was coming again) . So ET just needs to get on with it and figure it out. come on, it really can't be that hard. Can it?

robopz

Posts : 3394
Join date : 2012-04-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 9:54 pm

PS... And maybe we're putting the cart before the horse. Hopefully Pelley and the Irish open folks already have something worked out already.  I dunno.... Maybe before we play the "woe is poor little ET getting kicked around again" card, we should wait to see what the ET has planned.

robopz

Posts : 3394
Join date : 2012-04-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 10:45 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
GPB wrote:Rich Beem suggests moving the Irish Open to be adjacent to the BMW PGA.

Probably makes too much sense for Pelley to acknowledge.

https://twitter.com/beemerpga/status/1155914631266934785

That could make some sense from a golfing point of view, GPB, but the Irish Open is also part of a tourism showcase for the country; if you'd've tried to book air travel to Ireland for this summer, you might have been shocked at the prices - a big drop off later in the summer. Much more sensible to move the WGC, or perhaps you'd like to see everything, Open Championship and all, moved to comply with the BIG Tour?


Big Effin Deal.

And the Greenbrier tournament is also part of tourism showcase for the Greenbrier Resort. And they moved from June/July to September.

And WGC-Cadillac was a showcase for Doral resort in South Florida and they don't even play there anymore.

There is nothing sacrosanct about the Irish Open. Rory couldn't even be bothered to play it this year.

GPB

Posts : 6683
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 10:56 pm

No comment.

Except: You know damn well why the Doral event was moved. And the Greenbrier is a showcase for an equally bloated, self-obsessed slob.
Just goes to show what all these faux-Irish Americans think of Ireland.
And Rory has gone out of his way to support tournaments around the world, including an annual week in Ireland..

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 12:07 am

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Did Rory duff a 3 wood on 17? 238 carry is worse than I would get.

Love sacks.

I am not saying my 3 woods average carry is 238, but if I catch it out the middle it would probably achieve that from the tee.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 14827
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 7:47 am

You've repeatedly said over time that you don't believe any yardages that people claim to make, i.e. saying you don't believe people can hit it 250 carry with their driver, and most of the time I would agree with you, so why do you think that you, someone who admits to being a short hitter could carry a 3 wood 238?

My average carry with my driver is 245 by the way, my 4 wood carries about 230.

super_realist

Posts : 24312
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 11:05 am

I am not that short for a club golfer and hence my point has always been that those claiming to hit it miles past me are under suspicion.

And my numbers aren't that different to yours so if your 4 wood goes 230 it is plausible that the 3 wood would go 238 on a good hit.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 14827
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 1:30 pm

I easily carry 238 with my 3 and 4 wood.

Take note of the 'and'.

pedro

Posts : 6844
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 7:38 pm

McLaren wrote:I am not that short for a club golfer and hence my point has always been that those claiming to hit it miles past me are under suspicion.

And my numbers aren't that different to yours so if your 4 wood goes 230 it is plausible that the 3 wood would go 238 on a good hit.

Apologies Mac, I did mean 3 wood. I don't have a 4 wood.


Generally speaking to hit (carry) 250 with the driver you need to be hitting with a positive launch angle (most people don't), swing around and upwards of 103mph (most people don't) and launch about 12 degrees with around 2000-2500 rpm which most people don't.

For people who claim they "easily" carry their 3 AND 4 wood in excess of 240, why on earth don't you work on your game from 150 yards and in and become a decent golfer? If you're hitting it that far, why are you still choppers?



super_realist

Posts : 24312
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 8:30 pm

super, just to clarify, it’s first 3 wood and then 4 wood = 238.

pedro

Posts : 6844
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 11:09 pm

Super agree with all you say, on a good day I probably meet your criteria.

And played tonight and hit a 3 wood about 240 carry, it was downhill a little.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 14827
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist on Wed 31 Jul 2019, 7:46 am

pedro wrote:super, just to clarify, it’s first 3 wood and then 4 wood = 238.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

super_realist

Posts : 24312
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 31 Jul 2019, 5:35 pm

No doubt some pros will miss one or more of the Play-Off events - and there are some wounded soldiers that definitely will.

But, music for super's ears, Tiger may have semi-bagged The Open (not to mention last year's Ryder Cup of course, team guy that he is) but he's committed to the first two Play-Off events, next week's Northern Trust and the following week's Beemer, in Chicago. He'll need at least one really good result to qualify for the Tour Championship.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by robopz on Wed 31 Jul 2019, 8:33 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:No doubt some pros will miss one or more of the Play-Off events - and there are some wounded soldiers that definitely will..
With there being only two events to position oneself for "The $60 Million Low Net PGA Tour Handicap Championship", I'm not expecting no-shows this year sans injury/illness/personal situation. (Unless it's an Adam Scott type who just wants to prove how unimportant it is to him... laughing)

robopz

Posts : 3394
Join date : 2012-04-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 31 Jul 2019, 8:42 pm

robopz wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:No doubt some pros will miss one or more of the Play-Off events - and there are some wounded soldiers that definitely will..
With there being only two events to position oneself for "The $60 Million Low Net PGA Tour Handicap Championship", I'm not expecting no-shows this year sans injury/illness/personal situation. (Unless it's an Adam Scott type who just wants to prove how unimportant it is to him... laughing)


I think Adam might be tempted to show up - wasn't he the Barclays winner last time they visited LibNat?


kwinigolfer

Posts : 26216
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Wed 31 Jul 2019, 9:00 pm

USA beat the Int'ls last time they visited Liberty National! Shocked

GPB

Posts : 6683
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: WGC-FedEx / Barracuda / Wyndham Championship in Greensboro: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum