The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales and Ireland Two warm up test series Match Thread

+38
asoreleftshoulder
Pete330v2
Cyril
BamBam
robbo277
No 7&1/2
The Great Aukster
yappysnap
TightHEAD
SecretFly
Rugby Fan
Shifty
Taylorman
Pie
TwickenhamSimon
Old Man
RDW
Brendan
BigTrevsbigmac
BigGee
tigertattie
theslosty
majesticimperialman
RiscaGame
No9
Geen sport voor watjes
LondonTiger
Maine man
mikey_dragon
Poorfour
WELL-PAST-IT
LordDowlais
Collapse2005
stevetynant
rodders
profitius
carpet baboon
maestegmafia
42 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Wales and Ireland Two warm up test series Match Thread - Page 11 Empty Wales and Ireland Two warm up test series Match Thread

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Aug 2019, 1:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

7th SEPTEMBER 2019
KO: 14:00
IRELAND VS WALES
Aviva Stadium

Ireland

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 91 caps
14. Jordan Larmour (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 15 caps
13. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 37 caps
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 19 caps
11. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 77 caps
10. Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 83 caps
9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 73 caps

1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 90 caps
2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 119 caps CAPTAIN
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 35 caps
4. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 18 caps
5. Jean Kleyn (Munster) 2 caps
6. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 32 caps
7. Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 18 caps
8. Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 15 caps

Replacements
16. Sean Cronin (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 69 caps
17. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 30 caps
18. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 17 caps
19. Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 47 caps
20. Rhys Ruddock (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 22
21. Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 13 caps
22. Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht) 6 caps
23. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 23 caps

Wales

Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets); George North (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Worcester Warriors); Rhys Patchell (Scarlets), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues); Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Elliot Dee (Dragons), Tomas Francis (Exeter), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (capt, Ospreys), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints), Owen Watkin (Ospreys)

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 3:25 pm; edited 4 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales and Ireland Two warm up test series Match Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Wales and Ireland Two warm up test series Match Thread

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Sep 2019, 11:04 am

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
I hear Keith Earls has been training well, apparently currently quickest in the squad?

Stockdale recently suggested he was the fastest but admitted Earls and Larmour were a bit quicker over the first 20-30 meters.

I think once Stockdale hits his stride he is deceptively fast as we saw for that second try against Wales, he very rarely loses ground in a foot race.

He's sensighsional! 'At's wot he is.  Sensighsional.

Seriously, I do agree with you.  It's there in camera evidence anyway.  Add his physique and that ability to increase speed (to add a gear) to an already steaming pace, just when defenders think they have calculated the right contact point..... at top speed, our most dangerous player.

George North would probably be the Welsh equivalent.

Warning sign is that over the years teams have worked on North and a few of them have learned how to contain him/keep him quiet.  Still a fantastic athlete/beast and still highly dangerous.  But Stockdale will find himself with less room and more attention too.

It’s the point in the career of a try scoring aficionado when he is purposefully marked but can still score that really shows the calibre of a player on the wing. I think Stockdale has reached that point and is still scoring regularly. He could well become one of the Irish greats. This RWC will surely be the making of him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales and Ireland Two warm up test series Match Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Wales and Ireland Two warm up test series Match Thread

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 Sep 2019, 5:18 pm

McGrath tried to purposely injure AWJ the last time he featured against Ireland. Let's hope none of the Irish props are set to take his place and continue the theme. If they are then I hope the odd French ref actually deals with it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 06 Sep 2019, 7:02 pm

What incident was that? Jones has had plenty of practice whining to refs over nothing so maybe it was a case of boy cries wolf?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 06 Sep 2019, 7:43 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:McGrath tried to purposely injure AWJ the last time he featured against Ireland. Let's hope none of the Irish props are set to take his place and continue the theme. If they are then I hope the odd French ref actually deals with it.

Mikey, take a break.  Wait for the future to be the present.  Don't keep jabbing at Ireland's viciousness and thuggery.  Let the teams play the damn games.  I'm tiring of this "the World is against us, 606ers won't leave us in peace...but here's another dark tale of how Ireland don't play rugby but practice plenty of cheap shots."

Just look forward to the game without the endless sly digs.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 Sep 2019, 8:23 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:What incident was that? Jones has had plenty of practice whining to refs over nothing so maybe it was a case of boy cries wolf?

There you go again, adding nothing of value to the forum. Any opportunity to whinge at something Welsh and you’re straight on it. Please stay off the match thread tomorrow.

It was when McGrath detached from the maul, run around, and then dived at AWJ ankles. Super AWJ played on but the injury kept out for the rest of the season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 06 Sep 2019, 8:35 pm

Nah. I'll do what I like ta mikey. When was it and I'll look it up unless you have a link.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 Sep 2019, 8:46 pm

Oh jeez what a childish response. Well go look it up then, I told you which match it was.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 06 Sep 2019, 8:50 pm

No you didn't hence why I asked when it was.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 Sep 2019, 8:54 pm

When AWJ last featured against Ireland, like I said (6N). Stop derailing the thread, I’ve no idea why the mods are so lenient on you and some other English on here.

Last edited by mikey_dragon on Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Autocorrected but it was unnecessary)

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 06 Sep 2019, 8:55 pm

Which was which year?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 Sep 2019, 8:58 pm

The last time he featured against Ireland in the 6N, seeing as he didn’t feature in the recent warm-up that was when he ‘last featured’ against Ireland. Amazing how you can’t work it out.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 06 Sep 2019, 8:59 pm

So you haven't any link and dont want to say when. Not hard to see you were simply wumming then.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:07 pm

Wtf how is it wumming when he was actually injured for the rest of the season? Jeez just get off our threads. Welsh posters are fed up of you ruining them.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:09 pm

Well you could have ended this with a link or you saying when it was several posts ago. You could have side stepped my posts and replied to fly who also called you out. Your choice.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:15 pm

Well why don’t you just rewatch the game? You said you were going to look it up, then again when you say something it usually means something else as going by your posts you’re not a normal person. You also put in another pathetic attack on AWJ. You’re just derailing the thread and continue to do so because nobody posts the exact way you want them to. You also made another false accusation against me because you were too lazy to look for something you said you would. I’ve no idea why mods are lenient on you and some other English on here. I didn’t think there was any need to reply to Fly and what he said has nothing to do with all your pointless posts so that’s you sidestepping.

You must be Mexican waving in your bedroom right now like the fans at the Eng-Ita game are doing. If you’re bored find a new hobby because the mods probably will take action against your constant thread-derailing at some point.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:19 pm

Which game? When in the game you're talking about. A simple google search heralds no controversy. You're wumming as fly said.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:23 pm

I told you it was when he last featured! That was the last 6N game against Ireland. Not sure why you want a specific link detailing exactly what you want to read? Weird. Nothing of value added to the forum, mods please do something about his constant toy-throwing and false accusations.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:25 pm

Which was which game? You complain of derailing when your wum is called out. Simply say when youre talking about and people will be able to see the incident. A google search doesn't show it: at least without detail of when it was.
I'd be interested to see any mod more bothered about a poster asking for the example rather than being more bothered about an accusation of a player put to deliberately injure a player as well!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:34 pm

As much as everyone is enjoying the Mikey / 7.5 show can you guys give it a rest for the night and just move on?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:35 pm

Edit - RW

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:38 pm

That's not moving on 7.5!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:42 pm

No. But as with the previous requests I'm unable to tell what is a question by a mod especially as from the mobile view you cant tell who a mod is! And a request by a mod who is simply posting cos they're posting. A mod warning should be in red..as I'm about to pick up an inevitable permanent ban I may as well repeat the request for you all to be clear.
I've posted nothing controversial on this thread but simply request mikey to make clear his frankly stupid first post.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Sep 2019, 9:55 pm

7.5 I didn't accuse anyone of anything - I deliberately just asked you both to move on.

Hence the lack of red pen - I'm wanting it to end before we have to do any 'official' moderating.

Believe it or not we don't actually want to ban anyone!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Sep 2019, 8:45 am

Wales Online’s top rugby correspondents have been pouring over the video tapes, the training footage, the matches, asking in-depth questions, grilling family, coaches past and present to give you this Head to Head feature for today’s epic match...!

Rob Kearney 7 v 8 Leigh Halfpenny

Kearney is solid defensive full-back but it could be argued he lacks the explosiveness in attack these days. Hasn't scored a try for Ireland since 2015.

Halfpenny was thrust into the game against England three weeks ago at short notice and shook off an early dropped high ball to produce a solid performance. Looked more like his old self as the game wore on

Larmour remains one of the most exciting young backs in the game and is always a handy weapon. Has scored big tries in big matches for Leinster.

Sam Warburton opined that North looked to be in one of the shapes of his life earlier this week. The giant winger is looking lean and powerful. Will attract a lot of attention from Irish defenders.

Jordan Larmour 7 v 8 George North

Larmour remains one of the most exciting young backs in the game and is always a handy weapon. Has scored big tries in big matches for Leinster.

Sam Warburton opined that North looked to be in one of the shapes of his life earlier this week. The giant winger is looking lean and powerful. Will attract a lot of attention from Irish defenders

Robbie Henshaw 7 v 8 Jonathan Davies

Henshaw was once among the best centre around but has played barely any Test match rugby in the last year. A powerful runner that will need to be closely monitored.

Even when Davies has quiet games, he's always one of the most influential players on the field. Reads the game brilliantly and his powerful hand-off makes him a constant threat.

Bundee Aki 8 v 8 Hadleigh Parkes

Aki is the kind of player who will usually catch the eye. He's a powerful runner and usually relishes the big collisions. Not always as effective as he appears, though.

Parkes is the polar opposite, an unemphatic, workmanlike centre. But he will consistently get you front foot ball favouring that out-to-in angle to bulldoze over the gainline.

Keith Earls 8 v 8 Josh Adams

Earls has perhaps never always received the plaudits he's deserved at this level. He's either piping hot or freezing cold. Had a brilliant 2019 Six Nations, scoring three tries in five games.

Similarly, Adams has also enjoyed himself on the international scene of late, really taking to international rugby. He's now comfortable at the top level and will be looking to kick on. Knows how to finish.

Johnny Sexton 8 v 7 Rhys Patchell

Sexton is the master of his craft but hasn't always been at his best recently. Welsh fans will remember him losing control back in the Grand Slam match. Has also had injury woes of late.

Patchell endured a really difficult 2018/19 season, with concussions keeping him sidelined for large parts. Seemed back to his best in his 40 minutes last weekend. Wales management will want to see that confidence continue to grow.

Conor Murray 9 v 8 Tomos Williams

One of the most astute tactical minds in the game, Murray has the ability to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and control it. He too, though, has had injury problems of late.

Williams is another who has had to battle the knocks. This is his first start of the warm-up campaign but he made such a difference when he came on last weekend. A livewire who can really lift the tempo to uncomfortable levels.

Cian Healy 8 v 7 Tomas Francis

Workhorse Healy has been around the block and his work around the field really catches the eye. An abrasive ball-carrier who usually attracts more than one defender.

Francis like to do most of his work at the set piece but the Wales scrum has really been under pressure in recent weeks and he'll have hold up his end of the bargain in Dublin.

Rory Best 7 v 6 Elliot Dee

Best is a captain under pressure after Ireland's lineout has faltered in recent weeks. In the mind of Schmidt, his work around the field is making up for it but his influence there appears to be diminishing.

Dee will be looking to grab his opportunity with both hands. Good at the lineout and brilliant around the field, he'll want to make an impression on just his sixth start in 21 Tests.

Tadhg Furlong 8 v 6 Wyn Jones

Furlong has been widely regarded as one of the best props around for some time and will be looking forward to getting into a Welsh front-row that has struggled. Decent carrier.

Jones has been labelled one of Wales' best scrummaging technicians and that will be put to the test at the Aviva Stadium. Not achieved as much as Furlong on the international scene. Has the chance to emerge as Wales' first choice loose-head with a big performance.

James Ryan 8 v 7 Jake Ball

Ryan has really emerged as a quality second row in recent seasons. Will get around the field and carry over the gainline, whilst also being a target at the lineout.

Ball has a chance to really stake a claim to being Alun Wyn Jones' partner in Japan. His dynamism makes him a very difficult man to stop and seeing him charge at the defence is a sight to behold.

Jean Kleyn 7 v 9 Alun Wyn Jones

Kleyn gets the nod ahead of Devin Toner in Ireland's Rugby World Cup squad, which has raised eyebrows all week. An abrasive lock, who will carry hard and hit rucks.

Skipper Jones is an integral part of the Wales side. Will be one of Wales' top carriers and tacklers on the weekend, and his impressive handling continues to get better. Also has a huge psychological effect on his team-mates.

CJ Stander 8 v 8 Aaron Wainwright

The British and Irish Lion is a bit of a jack of all trades. Will not shirk any carrying duties but is also an absolute nuisance when he gets in position over the ball.

Wainwright's rise to prominence continues at breakneck speed. The flanker gets around the field well and will be looking to keep his hat in the ring for a starting spot in Japan. Good carrier, lineout option and industrious defender.

Josh van der Flier 7 v 8 Justin Tipuric

Van der Flier gets the nod over Jordi Murphy. He's a gritty, hard flanker with South African heritage. Will be willing to do work in some dark places.

Tipuric will want to remind everyone of his qualities after Josh Navidi has taken his chances in recent weeks. Can be a threat at the breakdown and will operate in the wide channels.

Jack Conan 7 v 7 Ross Moriarty

Conan is another bruising back-rower who will be unwilling to take a backwards step. Strong and gritty, he'll require significant attention from Welsh defender.

The hard-working Moriarty will pound defensive lines all day long and gets about the field well. Will have to work hard at the back of a Welsh scrum that has been retreating of late.

Totals:

Ireland 114

Wales 113

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 07 Sep 2019, 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 07 Sep 2019, 8:51 am

MM the scoring for Larmour/North seems to be missing. Is this your assessment or taken from somewhere else?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 07 Sep 2019, 8:53 am

Be interesting what the reality of those ratings will be Maes, given if one goes well chances are the other might not.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Sep 2019, 8:57 am

LondonTiger wrote:MM the scoring for Larmour/North seems to be missing. Is this your assessment or taken from somewhere else?

Amended, cheers for that..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Sep 2019, 8:59 am

Taylorman wrote:Be interesting what the reality of those ratings will be Maes, given if one goes well chances are the other might not.

Reality is they are a reasonable rough guide, the teams are pretty evenly matched, Wales using a few more 2nd choice players and missing our favourite number 8 big Taulupe and self enforced non selection of Rhys Webb.

A lot of those scores are based on reputation more than current form.. this game could either be an absolute cracker or a damp squib

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 07 Sep 2019, 9:24 am

Connor Murray's score most definitely based on reputation.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 07 Sep 2019, 10:23 am

LondonTiger wrote:Connor Murray's score most definitely based on reputation.

But I doubt it's a 'current form' comparison list.

I'll bet one of them would read something like:

Wales - 120
Ireland - 35

So Walesonline want to ramp up the excitement...not burst a bubble Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 07 Sep 2019, 10:25 am

Van der Flier doesn't have South African heritage, his grandfather was Dutch. Not a big deal but I see that misconception a lot.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 07 Sep 2019, 10:33 am

It's an obvious one though I suppose given the Dutch ancestry of white settlers.

Van der Flier + Ringrose - ready or not, here they come.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 07 Sep 2019, 11:58 am

This will be an interesting game today. too see if Ireland can put in a better performance at home against Wales.

Looking forward to watching the game this afternoon.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 07 Sep 2019, 1:54 pm

Good build up. AWJ, about the size of a normal Welshman, introduces the Irish President to the team - he's about the normal size of an Irishman. Then the camera zooms into the best man on the pitch, Wayne Barnes Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:00 pm

Wales’ anthem botched again, by the Irish band.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:02 pm

Interesting if Ireland can dominate the scrum again

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:03 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Wales’ anthem botched again, by the Irish band.

Its a crap song anyway

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:03 pm

Who are the Irish commentators?

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:04 pm

Hope the camerawork improves - it's either too close or too far out at the moment ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:05 pm

Half penny missing a kick at goal and Sexton kicking straight out. Lack of game time for both players. or is it just nerves?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:07 pm

ebop wrote:Who are the Irish commentators?

Jamie Heaslip and ryle nugent

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:08 pm

Very physical so far...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:09 pm

Rory Best special.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:15 pm

And again.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:16 pm

Ireland line out not going to well lately.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:22 pm

Nice worked try for Ireland.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:22 pm

Not a great sign if Rob Kearney scores against you

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:22 pm

I knew when I saw that Wail comment about Kearney not scoring for ages, it was worth covering.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:23 pm

But...... we’re holding something back!

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:26 pm

Agree with Heaslip, Stander a much better 6 than 8

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next