Wales v Georgia

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Wales v Georgia

Post by TightHEAD on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 11:11 am

First topic message reminder :

.


Last edited by TightHEAD on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Posts : 4938
Join date : 2014-09-25
Age : 57
Location : Englands green and pleasant land

Back to top Go down


Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by No 7&1/2 on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 8:27 pm

You're allowed to slap the ball backwards. You see it every match at restarts and lineouts.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 19191
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by Collapse2005 on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 8:35 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:You're allowed to slap the ball backwards. You see it every match at restarts and lineouts.

He didnt slap it backwards, he slapped it forwards. The ball just went backwards due to the momentum of the play.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4788
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by RiscaGame on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 8:43 pm

Never mind. It’s all irrelevant now. Much like the hit on North (I think) second half and the penalty try we were robbed of.

On to the next one.

RiscaGame

Posts : 3050
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by The Oracle on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 8:51 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:You're allowed to slap the ball backwards. You see it every match at restarts and lineouts.

He didnt slap it backwards, he slapped it forwards. The ball just went backwards due to the momentum of the play.

I’ve just watched that clip over and over. The direction of Davies’ arm is moving towards his own try line! How on earth is that a ‘slap forward’?!

Anyway, Risca is right. Let’s move on as we’re never going to agree OK
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2590
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by No 7&1/2 on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 8:51 pm

And theres no law against that collapse. As I think most people seem to have said. Lucky. But not against the law.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 19191
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 9:06 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Dire refereeing decision.

Ball clearly goes backwards by about a metre. Great decision by the referee.

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Wn8XOft

You'll have to level with Guns. He still thinks illegally pulling down a scrum is 'amazing scrummaging.'

I dont know Mikey the very little I watched of the game today Wales' scrum didnt look that solid, again.

In the 2nd half they certainly gave us a good seeing to. I haven't seen a scrum and driving lineout that powerful against a tier 1 team in a long time - credit to Georgia there and that's hopefully what we needed before Aus. Smith seemingly has regressed, scrummaging he had going for him with his low centre of gravity, hence Wyn Jones overtaking him. Dillon Lewis is a good flanker but he still struggles in the scrum. It could turn out to be a mistake leaving Evans and Lee at home.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 9299
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by Collapse2005 on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 9:13 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:And theres no law against that collapse. As I think most people seem to have said. Lucky. But not against the law.

If thats your stance then I assume you believe backwards passes that travel forward due to momentum are also forward passes?

A better ref would have figured out the logic and came up with a common sense interpretation of the law in this case which they are absolutely permitted to do.

Anyway we probably will have to agree to disagree on this one

Collapse2005

Posts : 4788
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by No 7&1/2 on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 9:36 pm

Nope because that's not how its interpreted collapse. You can disagree but you're wrong.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 19191
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by Collapse2005 on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 9:53 pm

Both laws are written the same way, the word forward being unqualified in both and therefore open to interpretation. If interpretation is allowed and it clearly is I fail to see how I can be wrong if you apply the same logic as forward passes when you factor in momentum. Hand direction is always considered by refs when momentum is added to the equation. In this case the hand direction was forward and therefore logic and precident dictates it was an illegal slap down.

Perhaps its you thats wrong?

Collapse2005

Posts : 4788
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by The Oracle on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:25 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Both laws are written the same way, the word forward being unqualified in both and therefore open to interpretation. If interpretation is allowed and it clearly is I fail to see how I can be wrong if you apply the same logic as forward passes when you factor in momentum. Hand direction is always considered by refs when momentum is added to the equation. In this case the hand direction was forward and therefore logic and precident dictates it was an illegal slap down.

Perhaps its you thats wrong?


Nah, the ball travelled towards Davies’ own try line. That’s never going be given as a knock on/forward pass/slap down/charge down/fumble..... why would it?!
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2590
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:38 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Both laws are written the same way, the word forward being unqualified in both and therefore open to interpretation. If interpretation is allowed and it clearly is I fail to see how I can be wrong if you apply the same logic as forward passes when you factor in momentum. Hand direction is always considered by refs when momentum is added to the equation. In this case the hand direction was forward and therefore logic and precident dictates it was an illegal slap down.

Perhaps its you thats wrong?


Nah, the ball travelled towards Davies’ own try line. That’s never going be given as a knock on/forward pass/slap down/charge down/fumble..... why would it?!

Also, for the ball to have gone backwards, as it did, despite the hand going forwards then the ball must have already had a lot of forward momentum, hence was probably a forward pass from tjw Georgian. 

Sometimes refs get things right even though they look wrong. This was such an incident, as was Best's Try.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 22056
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by Collapse2005 on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:59 pm

Hand direction of the pass was clearly backwards, never a forward pass.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4788
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by miaow on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 12:31 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
miaow wrote:Ball has to go forward to be a deliberate knock on, Guns.

Ball also has to go forward for it to be a forward pass but everyone knows that momentum comes into play and backwards passes can travel forward.

Its no different here in cynically slapping the pass down. Logical decision is a yellow. Blatantly stupid decision.

Na, can see how you've made the mistake here, but that specific interpretation of the law was brought in to work with a specific part of the game - passing. Not slapping, blocking etc.

He's lucky, if it goes forward he's in the bin for 10 mins. And you're right about the reasons for the ball moving backwards, kinetic energy etc. But you've conflated a law about the ball physically travelling forward and being adjudicated to travel 'flat'/accepted as fine due to hands etc., and a situation where the ball physically travels backwards.

If the ball physicall travels back towards the goalline from the moment it touches his hand - as it does - it can literally never be a knock on.

Unless the ref is French.

miaow

Posts : 4784
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by majesticimperialman on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 6:50 am

Have not seen the game, England got the full 5 points and no injuries Wales got  the full 5 points as well. Did Wales get any injuries?

majesticimperialman

Posts : 5394
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by LondonTiger on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 6:56 am

majesticimperialman wrote:Have not seen the game, England got the full 5 points and no injuries Wales got  the full 5 points as well. Did Wales get any injuries?

Wales main injury worry is Cory Hill, but he did not play. Suggestions that Hadleigh Parkes may have broken a bone in his hand, but supposed not to be an issue.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 22056
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 9:07 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Dire refereeing decision.

Ball clearly goes backwards by about a metre. Great decision by the referee.

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Wn8XOft

You'll have to level with Guns. He still thinks illegally pulling down a scrum is 'amazing scrummaging.'

Should have been a yellow card. Ludicrous decision from the ref. The only reason, if that really was the case, that the ball didnt go forward off his hand was because of the momentum of the players and the ball. He slapped the pass down, thats always a yellow.

Another one that has no idea of the laws of the game.

It is perfectly legal to slap the ball down if it goes backwards.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1665
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Wales v Georgia - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Georgia

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum