2020 And Beyond: Andy Farrell's Ireland

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

2020 And Beyond: Andy Farrell's Ireland - Page 6 Empty 2020 And Beyond: Andy Farrell's Ireland

Post by profitius on Tue 15 Oct 2019, 12:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've started this thread to appease the mocker gods.

It's almost the end of an era as Schmidt's time is coming to an end. Farrell is the new coach and will bring in his own way of doing things. Mike Catt is the new attack coach and John Fogarty takes over from Greg Feel.

There'll be changes in squad selections too with players possibly being involved with the squad for the last time in this world cup. Ireland don't do world cup cycles like other teams so for instance the 32 year old Healy won't be gotten rid of even though he's unlikely to make the next world cup.

There's a new generation of players emerging now so who do you think will make the squad in 2020 and the proceeding years?

Last edited by profitius on Thu 17 Oct 2019, 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

2020 And Beyond: Andy Farrell's Ireland - Page 6 Empty Re: 2020 And Beyond: Andy Farrell's Ireland

Post by Geen sport voor watjes on Thu 07 Nov 2019, 11:44 pm

Maybe the national coach should be listening to the provincial coaches for a change. Start with connacht and build from there. More rugby players and less Rick resourcing please.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

2020 And Beyond: Andy Farrell's Ireland - Page 6 Empty Re: 2020 And Beyond: Andy Farrell's Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Sat 09 Nov 2019, 10:48 am

Well, that was a sobering night for the Connacht way of Andy Friend.

If there is a warning sign about too much emphasis on lighter, faster and looser rugby, then last night was probably a good example.

Balance, balance, balance.  That's what Ireland didn't have.  The hard yards, ruck resourcing game is a good slice of what a good team should have.... but not all that they should have.  

Connacht need more strings to their bow to withstand the games top sides will throw at them, in Pro14, and from England and France.  They were blown away last night with power, panache, pace and...... practice.  They didn't have a Schmidtonian game to attempt a slowdown on Leinster's surges and just tried to match Leinster at a game they were second best at in execution.

But even despite that win and a few others this season.... even Leinster look a little too all bells and whistles right now.  I fear they might be bluffing a lack of more heavy duty credentials with the lightening speed theatrics.  Hope I'm wrong but I feel serious sides who might have the tools to slow Leinster down might then have a field day.  That's not a regular occurance given their history in Europe but I'd like a little less fireworks and a little more grim reaper stuff at this time of year to prove they have a solid all round game prepared or harder days

It always comes back to a nice balance of a Schmidtonian game + a bells and whistles strike running, quick passsing, intricate passing, evasion dominant, high pace, more panic inducing game for the times when brute boring force don't work or isn't needed.

Balance.  

Munster and Ulster will be interesting to keep checking which side has the best balance to transfer to International right now in Pre-Andy startup.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster on Sat 09 Nov 2019, 7:57 pm

Looks like Leinster are in a different league to everyone else in the PRO14 and in Ireland - have they stayed within the salary cap?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril on Sat 09 Nov 2019, 9:04 pm

The IRFU coffers are basically Leinster’s spending money. Might as well be the same thing.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 on Sat 09 Nov 2019, 10:17 pm

Cyril wrote:The IRFU coffers are basically Leinster’s spending money. Might as well be the same thing.

Id say the IRFU has spent more money on the other provinces. They paid for Thomond park and the Raven Hill upgrades, meanwhile Leinster play in a rented ground with temporary stands.

Leinster probably makes enough to sustain itself anyway.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly on Sat 09 Nov 2019, 10:55 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Looks like Leinster are in a different league to everyone else in the PRO14 and in Ireland - have they stayed within the salary cap?

No. No, they haven't.  Ronan Kelleher is on three houses in Dublin, a pad in Malibu and Monaco and a Bugatti Centodieci.  But keep it quiet, the taxman don't know.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster on Sun 10 Nov 2019, 9:01 am

SecretFly wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Looks like Leinster are in a different league to everyone else in the PRO14 and in Ireland - have they stayed within the salary cap?

No. No, they haven't.  Ronan Kelleher is on three houses in Dublin, a pad in Malibu and Monaco and a Bugatti Centodieci.  But keep it quiet, the taxman don't know.

None of that should count towards the salary cap anyway... should it?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 10:52 am

So there is talk of Aki and Marmion jumping ship to England/France.

Could this be interpreted as an early vote of no confidence in the new regime or just a natural development after a world cup cycle?

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by miaow on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 10:58 am

The issue is that it's not a new regime, is it. The players won't feel like there's a clean slate or exciting times ahead. They know what's coming, they've just experienced it. I can't help but feel there's something poisonous about Farrell's ambition.

miaow

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 11:06 am

miaow wrote:The issue is that it's not a new regime, is it. The players won't feel like there's a clean slate or exciting times ahead. They know what's coming, they've just experienced it. I can't help but feel there's something poisonous about Farrell's ambition.

That is kind of my point, the players know Farrell and to a lesser extent Easterbuy by now, so if they are considering bowing out of the Irish system already, one could conclude they aren't overly positive about the new set up.

Did Nucifera jump the gun last season with Farrell's appointment as Schmidt's successor? It's too early to say but with several stalwarts looking abroad already it's not the best start.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 11:15 am

rodders wrote:So there is talk of Aki and Marmion jumping ship to England/France.

Could this be interpreted as an early vote of no confidence in the new regime or just a natural development after a world cup cycle?

Or an early inkling of new Head Coach's lack of confidence in them?

I think they'll hold though.  Virtually all players (or their agents) put out hints about them going off to pastures new just before contract discussions.  Of the two though, I'd think Marmion might be the more serious possibility.  Probably feels his International ambitions are running away from him now.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 12:54 pm

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:So there is talk of Aki and Marmion jumping ship to England/France.

Or an early inkling of new Head Coach's lack of confidence in them?

I think they'll hold though.  Virtually all players (or their agents) put out hints about them going off to pastures new just before contract discussions.  Of the two though, I'd think Marmion might be the more serious possibility.  Probably feels his International ambitions are running away from him now.

Or an early inkling that Farrell has so much faith in them he'll pick from overseas!

Blade is already almost first choice at Connacht so if Marmion is going to go it's now or never.
Wouldn't be surprised if Aki patched up with Lam and went to Bristol for the big bucks.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 4:18 pm

Aki will be 30 in April and there seems to be a number of centers around the provinces now including Peter Robb in Connacht. I don't think he's going to get a bumper deal from the irfu and personally I can do without seeing more dropped passes from himself and Robbie 'boobs for hands' Henshaw.

Marion is a different story. We don't have many proven 9s so I wouldn't mind him staying although it's not essential
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 9:20 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:

Or an early inkling that Farrell has so much faith in them he'll pick from overseas!

I wouldn't prematurely leave the country with such an inkling whispering that thought into my ear.

Maybe more money is more of an inducement than Ireland under Farrell' but I think Aki would still be hungry to hunt for International glory. Despite the disappointments at times, I think he got his greatest kicks out of International.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders on Tue 12 Nov 2019, 10:21 am

I think it isn't Farrell's say to pick non home based players, I don't see any change to the current policy or we could have an exodus on our hands.

Aki and Marmion would be missed but we have plenty of options in those positions.

Back row is the biggest issue for me, in fact I'm surprised the IRFU allowed so many imports - Botha, Butler, Coetzee, Fainga, Fardy, Cloete etc. I think they got a bit complacent in that area and injuries have exposed the lack of depth in the last year or so.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius on Tue 12 Nov 2019, 7:56 pm

miaow wrote:The issue is that it's not a new regime, is it. The players won't feel like there's a clean slate or exciting times ahead. They know what's coming, they've just experienced it. I can't help but feel there's something poisonous about Farrell's ambition.

I dunno. People say Farrell was the cause of England's 2015 world cup disappointment but I have never seen any evidence.

He seems to get on well with Lancaster, Gatland took him on 2 lions tours and he wouldn't be Ireland's new coach unless he is popular within the squad. I also think he keeps a low profile in terms of being in the public eye so there's little evidence of a big ego.

How he'll do is another matter. He might be a flop but I think he'll do ok. I'd say he is a better man manager than Schmidt and he will give the players greater freedom to make their own choices.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by miaow on Tue 12 Nov 2019, 8:22 pm

Do you think Farrell's as popular within the squad now as he was last November? Tbh I don't think that's even part of the criteria for selecting a coach. Either way, you can still be well respected and bring value for a period of time before stepping on toes and playing your part in things going wrong at some undefined point. For Farrell, the fact the 2 WC campaigns he's been involved in have, effectively, followed similar templates set alarm bells off for me, personally.

I think it's important to note that Farrell isn't your typical assistant. He's not a yes man like Howley, or a bit part player like Danny Wilson for Scotland. He takes a much more hands on role.

Either way, he's got what he wants now - I think he always hoped to replace Lancaster with England tbh - and that's the top job, so have to see how he goes.

miaow

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly on Tue 12 Nov 2019, 9:34 pm

Well so be it.  Ireland are the lab rat.  Ireland's adventures, good or bad, over the next few years will define both Farrell as a Head Coach and us as a team.
Since none of us can truly know how that will go, it's easy enough to just relax and wait to find out.

Personally, I'd have preferred a more complete clear out of assistant coaches and perhaps that will be on his agenda over the next few years.  We can suggest Farrell has a habit of being around when bad things happen at WCs but on both occasions you could also argue that he couldn't influence who he worked with and so wasn't responsible for the overall 'product' on display.  To an extent, now he can choose and of course he won't be able to hide if things don't work out this time.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Yesterday at 9:52 am

SecretFly wrote:Well so be it.  Ireland are the lab rat.  Ireland's adventures, good or bad, over the next few years will define both Farrell as a Head Coach and us as a team.
Since none of us can truly know how that will go, it's easy enough to just relax and wait to find out.

Personally, I'd have preferred a more complete clear out of assistant coaches and perhaps that will be on his agenda over the next few years.  We can suggest Farrell has a habit of being around when bad things happen at WCs but on both occasions you could also argue that he couldn't influence who he worked with and so wasn't responsible for the overall 'product' on display.  To an extent, now he can choose and of course he won't be able to hide if things don't work out this time.

I think the thing is when Schmidt decided to leave last year the biggest thing we would have wanted was continuity to build on the systems he has implemented.

After a very disappointing RWC and 2019 generally the perspective is totally different, a fresh start is probably a lot more desirable now but the decision has been made.

Farrell deserves a fair chance, it's very difficult to judge him in his career so far. He's been selected on 2 Lions tours by Gatland ahead of Sean Edwards so he must have something about him. When he joined our set up Ireland were in a bit of a dip and we definitely saw an upswing with the win a narrow test series loss in SA.

On the flip side how culpable was he for England's 2015 RWC campaign and indeed Ireland's 2019 one? I guess we will find out.

Also over the last few seasons we've had a very strong NZ influence in the coaching set up. Now this has shifted towards the ex- England crew with Farrell, Catt, Lancaster, Roundtree all having major roles.

Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen but it is bound to present a change in playing style and culture.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Yesterday at 10:59 am

rodders wrote:

Also over the last few seasons we've had a very strong NZ influence in the coaching set up. Now this has shifted towards the ex- England crew with Farrell, Catt, Lancaster, Roundtree all having major roles.

Whether this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen but it is bound to present a change in playing style and culture.  

Very true.  It's a major change of focus in terms of 'influence' to an English overview of the game - albeit at times still heavily influenced by New Zealand philosophy in the person of Lancaster, who spent time in New Zealand undoubtedly studying their ways and who is an obvious fan of their brand.

But yes, it's a risk to have so many English eggs in the one basket, considering England itself went for Aussie and Kiwi coaching blood for their International side. But then it's risk no matter what decisions are made today to plan for a future.

One thing I will say though about the 'English' way, and maybe I've said it before on these pages, I regard it as a vey honest philosophy about how to play.  I think honesty is demanded of players week in and week out... i.e., consistency of effort.  If they have a team capable of playing a certain way, the English tend to push for that level to be mimicked in all games.  
For us, such a strict demand to play in a consistent tempo from Farrell and Catt might be the biggest plus coming down the line for us; because even under Schmidt, that habitual 'Irish' way has always been infuriating inconsistency of effort and tempo.  One game - all out kitchen sink stuff, next game a boring walk-fest of indolence.  

The English contingent on this island might finally kick that attitude out of us for good.  And if they could, it would be a major milestone in getting us the right philosophy to finally get past a WC QF stage.... and beyond.
I think it will need different emphasis on conditioning standards and such, and that's where the Provincial English contingent can assist some joined up thinking with their Irish International colleagues.

There is also, I suppose, another seeming truth encircling the concept of so many English coaches (post Internstional coaches) landing in Ireland.  Some of them will probably have ambitions to get another crack at their own Nation.  So, to a degree, Ireland is a testing ground for their ideas.  Back to the analogy of us being Lab rats.  Farrell will want to establish a blueprint for success that might catch the eye of the RFU.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Yesterday at 1:40 pm

rodders wrote:I think it isn't Farrell's say to pick non home based players, I don't see any change to the current policy or we could have an exodus on our hands.

Aki and Marmion would be missed but we have plenty of options in those positions.

Back row is the biggest issue for me, in fact I'm surprised the IRFU allowed so many imports - Botha, Butler, Coetzee, Fainga, Fardy, Cloete etc. I think they got a bit complacent in that area and injuries have exposed the lack of depth in the last year or so.
That was just a throwaway comment - the best Irish players are based in Ireland partly because of the policy. Sexton was a special case because of the paucity of viable alternatives. Beirne and Farrell were never going to make if they had stayed in Ireland, but they had to come home to prove they had become better players - and they've only gone part way to doing that. James Hart was hyped up in France but couldn't live up to it when he returned to Ireland.

Aren't Butler, Faainga and Clote nearly IQ? The fact they are being picked ahead of their provincial teammates suggests that those they're keeping out of the team aren't good enough, and they are setting a standard for the understudies to emulate.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Yesterday at 1:51 pm

profitius wrote:People say Farrell was the cause of England's 2015 world cup disappointment but I have never seen any evidence.

Which people?

Lancaster showed he was a good coach but when push came to shove he buckled under the weight of media pressure and changed his team at the worst possible moment. Suddenly his players lost faith in the systems and by extension in him. The changes brought the relationship between Stuart, Andy and Owen into question and no doubt had some bearing on dressing room harmony, but it was Robshaw's ineptitude on the pitch that was the ultimate deciding factor.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Yesterday at 2:10 pm

James Lowe didn't move to Leinster until November 2017 after he'd finished playing for Tasman in the Mitre 10 Cup Finals on 28 Oct, so he wouldn't residency qualify until first week of November 2020. His first opportunity for selection, therefore, may only be 6N 2021, unless Farrell puts him into the training group and uses him on the second/third tests on 9/16 Nov.

His three-year contract with Leinster ends next June. He'll be 28 next July 2020, and 31 for RWC 2023.

He has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and he moved from NZ because he knew his career could get cut short anytime through the disease which he continues to manage. He wants to earn as much money as he can for his family as he said in a 2018 interview.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Yesterday at 2:59 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
rodders wrote:I think it isn't Farrell's say to pick non home based players, I don't see any change to the current policy or we could have an exodus on our hands.

That was just a throwaway comment - the best Irish players are based in Ireland partly because of the policy. Sexton was a special case because of the paucity of viable alternatives. Beirne and Farrell were never going to make if they had stayed in Ireland, but they had to come home to prove they had become better players - and they've only gone part way to doing that. James Hart was hyped up in France but couldn't live up to it when he returned to Ireland.

Aren't Butler, Faainga and Clote nearly IQ? The fact they are being picked ahead of their provincial teammates suggests that those they're keeping out of the team aren't good enough, and they are setting a standard for the understudies to emulate.

Jarrad Butler will residency qualify in August 2020 aged 29,2mo. He's got a contract extension until June 2022, when he'll be aged 31.
Colby Fai'inga joined Connacht in August 2018 so he wouldn't residency qualify until August 2023 aged 32. Contract due for review/renewal in June 2020.
Chris Cloete will residency qualify in Oct 2020, aged 29 yrs 8mo. He's got a two-year contract extension until June 2022, when he'll be aged 31,4mo.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Yesterday at 3:00 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:

James Hart wasn't hyped up in France. He was 3rd or 4th choice in the clubs he was at. He was only every a stopgap solution for Munster and probably why Munster has Alby Mathewson on the books now. James Hart was only ever going to be 3rd/4th choice after Duncan Williams.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum