The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hanson's hissy fit...

+11
Big
BigGee
Soul Requiem
majesticimperialman
asoreleftshoulder
Scottrf
LondonTiger
Old Man
Taylorman
Collapse2005
Dirtydave
15 posters

Go down

Hanson's hissy fit... Empty Hanson's hissy fit...

Post by Dirtydave Sat 26 Oct 2019, 6:54 pm

Has anyone else seen the interview where he offers a reporter to go outside and give him a 'rugby education'?

I thought the question was meh, but in no way offensive!

What do you guys think about Hanson's response?

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Hanson's hissy fit... Empty Re: Hanson's hissy fit...

Post by Guest Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:03 pm

mmmbop

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:10 pm

Hansen also said England got all the "iffy 50 50 decisions". Eh no.

Also Hansen's offer to step outside was a fairly pathetic response to a question. Granted it must be very hard to do a presser after a loss but that was poor.

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydave Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:16 pm

I must've missed that part, he would be wrong I thought Nigel had a very good day in the office, the maul call was offered by a very determined Junker, as was one of the 2 forward pass calls in game.

Infact, of the iffy 50/50's I'd suggest England were probably on the wrong end of more.

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:18 pm

Was great. He wasn’t having a England’s win belittled by a reporter saying NZ didn’t want the match enough. Total disrespect for Englands effort. He could have said yeah we didn’t expect that much of a fight from England but that wouldn’t be true.

The reports assumption was that if the ABs had ‘tried’ harder they might have won.

Anyway, mountain, molehill. Get over it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydave Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:25 pm

I'm not making a mountain of it, just a post to discuss Hanson's silly comment about beating up a reporter.

I think the comments at half time 'you've got to be hungrier' probably justify the question.

So was this bitterness from Hanson, or is he annoyed people are taking his hungry comment to mean NZ weren't hungry?

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:27 pm

I somehow don't think Hansen has England and the level of praise they receive on his mind...

More like his legacy and reputation.

Sadly looks like he'll be remembered for picking kids when it mattered and getting it wrong. Same happened in 2017.

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:29 pm

Seriously Dave?

The reporter was being disrespectful, “Did the All Blacks come with the right attitude?”

What a stupid question.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:34 pm

Old Man wrote:Seriously Dave?

The reporter was being disrespectful, “Did the All Blacks come with the right attitude?”

What a stupid question.

I agree, thought it was a pathetic question that was disrespectful to NZ and England. Was the come outside response appropriate? Probably not, but it did amuse me.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydave Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:49 pm

I fail to understand how the question was disrespectfull...

Hansen made a comment about getting hungry, it's a fairly decent assumption that NZ weren't hungry enough pre kick off.

This would elude to a mind set, NZ are supremely talented, capable of beating anyone, so mindset is a decent go to to question!

Dirtydave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:59 pm

Yeah, he does tend to contradict himself.

Look, let's pretend he doesn't know what he's doing. Not only does he 'give' the journalists their headline there and then - it also means they don't keep asking deeper, more probing, more baiting questions to get the same.

They wanted a spark from him, he gave it - to a fairly benign question.

He knows his legacy is at stake and despite being at the helm while they played incredible rugby, and probably being in charge of one of if not the best ABs sides about halfway through this 12 year campaign he and Henry have been in charge of, he has got it wrong against the Lions, and again here. And he'll know that. He'll know that Henry recovered eventhough they have one trophy each, Henry has the redemption story to go with the hoodo-breaking title.

Hansen was questioned about whether his job was even hard - a stupid assessment, of course it is - and generally seen as peripheral to the ABs. Just seen as carrying on from Henry's legacy, and sadly the fact he finished on two 'lows' with this and the Lions means that stupid narrative perpetuates.

Look, I have sympathy - journalists boil things down and get facile for the sake of blood - but you still can't threaten to beat them up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 26 Oct 2019, 8:12 pm

What a stupid question.

Oh god, if he gets that easily offended he needs to grow a pair.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 26 Oct 2019, 8:23 pm

Hanson was classy post game, classy for all the rest of the press conference. In one question he defended his players. Not the best response, not the best question. We move on.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 26 Oct 2019, 8:39 pm

Trying to get traction out of Hansen’s comments after a dumb reporter.

Honestly, the crying during the thread combined with the pointless comments here, you’d wonder if you know how actually enjoy a win. I mean tighthead was going off about the ref, as soon as the game started, through the match and continued after it! Who does that when they win?

Who’d have thought accepting a winning result could frustrate you so much.

Hilarious.

Hate to have seen what would happen if they’d lost.

Enjoy the win, is that too hard to do? I thought it was a great win, well deserved and worth celebrating. But no, let’s have a piece of the ref, and Hansen while we’re at it. Winnings just not enough grrrr, we need to be angry...somehow... laughing

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 26 Oct 2019, 8:41 pm

Taylorman wrote:Trying to get traction out of Hansen’s comments after a dumb reporter.

Honestly, the crying during the thread combined with the pointless comments here, you’d wonder if you know how actually enjoy a win. I mean tighthead was going off about the ref, as soon as the game started, through the match and continued after it! Who does that when they win?

Hilarious.

Enjoy the win, is that too hard to do? I thought it was a great win, well deserved and worth celebrating. But no, let’s have a piece of the ref, and Hansen while we’re at it. Winnings just not enough grrrr, we need to be angry...somehow... laughing

Tighthead is a troll, don't overthink his comments. I think it's the best performance by any English team in any sport I've seen. Enjoying it for sure.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 26 Oct 2019, 8:57 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Trying to get traction out of Hansen’s comments after a dumb reporter.

Hilarious.

Tighthead is a troll, don't overthink his comments. I think it's the best performance by any English team in any sport I've seen. Enjoying it for sure.

2012 was more debilitating because of the nature of the tries but this was more controlling. The ABs had no answers. We are lucky the score wasn’t double with the crosses being brought back. Sam would have taken Underhill but doesn’t mean England still wouldn’t have scored, with the roll on.

Was a great match, don’t mind losing to that, that’s for sure. First time I think Ive ever given up with ten to go in a big test, it was that complete.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 26 Oct 2019, 9:22 pm

Some performance from England just dominated every aspect of the game. Fair play to NZ too,any other team that gets outplayed like that would lose by 25+.They just never let the game get away from them.

Great game of rugby and a huge step up in standard from the previous rounds.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Oct 2019, 9:29 pm

That's some way off the mark with 'crying', T. As someone pointed out in the thread, you were paying more attention to peoples' comments on 606 than you were on the game.

A sign of priorities...

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 26 Oct 2019, 9:33 pm

He was asked just after the Abs loss, was is team not hungry enough.

When have the Abs never been hungry in a game? They always turn up, they are always hungry. Show me an ab team that is not hungry enough to win a game.

They might get dominated in the first half, but they always fight back in the second half, and normaly come out on top( win ) the game. but today they was out played all over the field.

I do believe Hansen felt they( abs) was being disrespected. and did not like that.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 26 Oct 2019, 9:43 pm

So Hansen is going to be remembered for not winning the world cup a second time rather than coaching the most dominant team in history?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 26 Oct 2019, 9:47 pm

Hansen will be remembered for ever you want to remember him. Does it matter? He’s certainly had more success than just about every other coach in history. I think he’ll be ok.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 26 Oct 2019, 9:48 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:He was asked just after the Abs loss, was is team not hungry enough.

When have the Abs never been hungry in a game? They always turn up, they are always hungry. Show me an ab team that is not hungry enough to win a game.

They might get dominated in the first half, but they always fight back in the second half, and normaly come out on top( win ) the game. but today they was out played all over the field.

I do believe Hansen felt they( abs) was being disrespected. and did not like that.

Blah blah.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 26 Oct 2019, 9:50 pm

miaow wrote:That's some way off the mark with 'crying', T. As someone pointed out in the thread, you were paying more attention to peoples' comments on 606 than you were on the game.

A sign of priorities...

Aww, miaow wants more pieces of pie...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 26 Oct 2019, 9:51 pm

I watched the recording of the interview and Hanson was very respectful towards England, even when he mentioned the 50 50 calls, he qualified that by saying that is the usual way of things with the dominant side and as the ABs usually get them for that reason, he should really know.

He also explained the difference between hungry and hungrier, so he was not contradicting himself. It was a stupid question and he made the reporter look very daft and was never going to take anyone outside.

England won very well and NZ lost with great dignity, just as you would expect

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sat 26 Oct 2019, 10:14 pm

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. That's seems about the beginning and end of it to me. Sad for Hansen that he was outfoxed in his final game, but hardly a disaster looking at his career as a whole. I'm struggling to think of a coach with a better record so I think his legacy will be just fine.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sun 27 Oct 2019, 3:57 am

It was a disgrace, but it was nice to see some fight from an All Black, didnt see any anywhere else so well done but his legacy will be kind of threatening a reporter, I guess thats the Kiwi way

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sun 27 Oct 2019, 4:29 am

Oh rubbish, it is amazing how people will try to find the tiniest thing just to make a negative comment or judgement of someone.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Oct 2019, 7:05 am

Collapse2005 wrote:

What a stupid question.

Oh god, if he gets that easily offended he needs to grow a pair.

To be fair to Hanson it’s a stupid question and one that massively belittles England’s superb performance, from what Hanson said previously he was full of praise for the England team, they had just shown his all blacks weren’t up to the job, completely out played them and had accepted that.

Its the kind of stupid question that modern journalists constantly ask in press conferences.

Was the idiot that asked the question expecting Hanson to say “yes, I really don’t believe the all blacks wanted it this time, they were joking about like a Sunday charity game”.

Unfortunately modern media coverage is all about sensationalism and very little about interest and objectivity. The journalist and their editor are trying to get a response that will create controversy not an answer that will keep you fascinated in what the interviewee has to say.

I guess that we are so used to bad journalism today that we feed on the articles rather than respect the coach.

Bad journalists are gunning for these stunts when coaches, players, celebrities or politicians are tired or emotional.

Full sympathy to Hanson and all others that get asked these type of stunt trap questions.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 27 Oct 2019, 8:55 am

Spot on about the state of journalism today Maes - not just in rugby ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 27 Oct 2019, 11:37 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Full sympathy to Hanson and all others that get asked these type of stunt trap questions.

Yes, well maybe....but there is always the answer 'Yes', to the question asked.  

Journalists can be basterdes..of course...but they're also adults doing their job as much as Hansen does his.  Now coaches mightn't think much of the profession of journalism, but some of them make mucho money from journalists both in riding on the high of the reputations journalists paint for them in words over the years plus often using journalists as ghost writers for their books.
Journalists don't need lectures from coaches on respect.  If the journalist has no respect for England's performance, then that's none of Hansen's business.  All he needs to do is get across his respect for the performance if he so chooses.

Hansen always borders on distain and contempt for questions that bore him (99% of them it seems).  He's a big boy - he can handle questions better if he just loses the habitual growl.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down