The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rob Howley???

+6
stub
Cyril
mikey_dragon
Heaf
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
10 posters

Go down

Rob Howley??? Empty Rob Howley???

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 28 Oct 2019, 18:29

Any news about him?

Is he still going to be a coach after the RWC? either for Wales, or Italy.

any one know any news?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Rob Howley??? Empty Re: Rob Howley???

Post by Guest Mon 28 Oct 2019, 18:36

I'd imagine he's tainted goods for a while. Probably the end of his tier 1 test coaching career unless Italy really want him.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 28 Oct 2019, 19:30

I know he's not exactly liked in Wales by all in a coaching context, and it seems a few Welsh posters in here felt it was a blessing in disguise when he departed and Jones turned up

.....but..... is there something to be said about Wales' subsequent tournament and although they did very well, and even now have a chance of doing even better if they can beat the ABs, did they lack an attacking cutting edge that might have been there had their familiar attack coach been there?  
All speculation of course but anyone feel Wales might now be in a final had Howley been there?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Oct 2019, 19:59

Yes, Fly. If it were 2 months before the tournament...MAYBE...SJ might have had a positive impact. As it was, on the even of the RWC, it was pretty devastating - as you then have a man who is trying to fill in another man's job but with almost no agency.

Some nice back moves sort of came off, but against SA, they didn't when it mattered - 2 forward passes, one each half, from set backs moves did not help. I'd also say the general game with ball in hand was as poor as it's been under Gatland for the most part. Very little rugby played.

Anyone telling you losing Howley wasn't a negative for Wales is probably a keyboard warrior.

As for the final - well, Wales might have been in a final had Patchell connected straight and true with his drop goal. Fine margins. Ofc they could have been in a final with Howley.

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 28 Oct 2019, 20:13

Do we know what Howley actually did yet - I heard it was something about betting but don't remember seeing any specifics?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 28 Oct 2019, 20:26

Heaf wrote:Do we know what Howley actually did yet - I heard it was something about betting but don't remember seeing any specifics?

I don't know how his case is proceeding or if it's still proceeding or if it's dropped.  Seems to be an agreed quietness on the subject for now - perhaps so as not to unduly influence the Welsh team's efforts in Japan, and that journey isn't yet over.
I'd assume too that specifics would be suppressed if investigations are ongoing so as not to prejudice anything one way or another.
I think when the team comes home and the usual inquest takes place on all aspects of the Welsh effort at this WC, then interest will be renewed in Howley and the media will begin to look for or publish those specifics.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 28 Oct 2019, 20:32

Ah yeh of course - sounds about right

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 29 Oct 2019, 21:32

He’s back on the ice cream van. Hope he stays there for the sake of rugby.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 29 Oct 2019, 21:46

mikey_dragon wrote:He’s back on the ice cream van. Hope he stays there for the sake of rugby.

So that's where the freezer training stuff came from. Choc Ice conditioning.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 29 Oct 2019, 21:50

Ice cream van? Howley is definitely all set for Italy.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2019, 22:07

"Just one Cornetto,
Give it to me,
Atrocious back play,
for I-ta-lyyyyy"

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 29 Oct 2019, 22:23

Heh. And just when Italy’s back play was looking half decent, albeit to the detriment of their forward and set-piece strengths. Another Mr Whippy(ing) for them in the 6Ns I think.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Tue 29 Oct 2019, 22:32

Very entertaining thread gents! Smile

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 29 Oct 2019, 23:13

I might have known there would be a stub on a betting thread!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Wed 30 Oct 2019, 10:01

Haha 😂

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 16 Dec 2019, 12:39

Banned for 18 months (9 suspended).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50629124

BBC wrote:Former Wales backs coach Rob Howley has been banned from rugby for 18 months, with nine suspended, for betting on matches, including Wales games.

The suspension is backdated to his withdrawal from Wales' World Cup campaign, on 16 September 2019.

The panel who judged Howley found from 14 November, 2015 to 7 September 2019 he "placed 363 bets on rugby union, featuring 1,163 matches in total".

Howley, 49, used his Welsh Rugby Union phone and email account to place bets.

The former Wales and British and Irish Lions scrum-half was sent home from Japan six days before Wales' opening win against Pool D opponents Georgia and replaced by Stephen Jones.

Warren Gatland went on to guide Wales to the tournament semi-finals before Jones joined new boss Wayne Pivac's staff.

While the investigation was under way, Gatland said Howley had "been through hell" and WRU chairman Gareth Davies said they had been in regular contact with the former Wales captain.

Howley accepted the charges and can return to the sport on 16 June, 2020.

He admitted to placing bets on 24 "connected events", which were games involving Wales or Wales players.

Howley's bets involved two on players, including on who would be the first try-scorer in Wales matches, one of those games being the Grand Slam win over Ireland in Cardiff in March 2019.

Howley said neither player had any knowledge of the bets and the duo also said they had no knowledge of the events when interviewed by investigators.

Over the five-year period investigated, the WRU panel was satisfied he made no financial gains and lost £4,000.

The report stated Howley's betting stemmed from a family tragedy.

The report said: "It is clear that Mr Howley's betting on rugby was part of a hobby of betting on spot events.

"We use the word 'hobby' with some caution because it seems that a trigger for My Howley's betting activity was a family tragedy involving the death of his sister.

"While we are prepared to accept the trigger for Mr Howley's betting on sporting events has its seeds in personal family tragedy, it is much more difficult to understand why he chose to bet on rugby which he knew was prohibited rather than other sport exclusively, which of course was perfectly permissible."

Howley stated he has not placed any bets since September 2019 and was confident the help of a consultant psychologist would stop him from betting in the future.

His case was heard in Cardiff by an independent panel, chaired by Sir Wyn Williams.

The Sports Betting Intelligence Unit of the Gambling Commission has provided advice throughout the investigation.

Howley has 14 days to appeal the decision from 11 December, 2019, the date of the judgement.

The Guardian wrote:The panel found that Howley had placed 363 bets in a 45-month period dating from November 2015. Some of those bets were on the Wales team that he was coaching.

Howley used his WRU mobile and email address to place bets and lost £4,000 amid personal bets. He is now seeing a psychologist in a bid to stop gambling.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Dec 2019, 13:31

Crumbs, that's not just the odd flutter is it. Hope he comes through it OK.

I'm not that into betting, just having the occasional punt for fun, but I can't work out the numbers here. Can someone with a better betting mind than me explain - 363 bets placed, featuring 1163 matches in total. How can you do so few bets over so many matches?

EDIT: sorry, could it be accumulators? Maybe answered my own question there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2019, 13:56

Yes, it would be accumulators. Sounds like Howley’s in the midst of an awful problem. Amazed it went on for so long before being picked up by the powers that be.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 16 Dec 2019, 14:51

Having a gambling problem is one thing, but betting on the team you coach and even individual players - that takes it to a whole new level. Those actions have brought Welsh rugby into disrepute and put the players in a really awkward position given they had to be interviewed about it. 

It also no doubt led to some really awkward questions for Gatland - was Howley's gambling preferences influencing selection so those players would play? Was he making backs move such that they would be on the receiving end of the scoring pass? I'm not for one second saying that's what happened but I'm sure Gatland would have needed to defend those kind of questions - again bringing Welsh rugby into disrepute.

A real sorry mess!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 16 Dec 2019, 15:22

Just glad we're finally seeing the back of Howley. A pity his gambling addiction wasn't picked up sooner, because it became clear 10 years ago that his underperformance wasn't going to cost him his job. No more jobs for the boyo's please, ta.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 16 Dec 2019, 16:00

I just can’t believe he used his WRU email address?!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 16 Dec 2019, 16:31

bsando wrote:I just can’t believe he used his WRU email address?!

I suppose the bookies only alerted the WRU when his losing habit was at risk of becoming a winning one.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 16 Dec 2019, 16:34

LondonTiger wrote:
bsando wrote:I just can’t believe he used his WRU email address?!

I suppose the bookies only alerted the WRU when his losing habit was at risk of becoming a winning one.
Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s exactly what happened

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down