The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wayne Bennett makes changes for Kiwi test

4 posters

Go down

Wayne Bennett makes changes for Kiwi test Empty Wayne Bennett makes changes for Kiwi test

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 30 Oct 2019, 12:58 am

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/wayne-bennett-makes-changes-defeated-20746824

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Wayne Bennett makes changes for Kiwi test Empty Re: Wayne Bennett makes changes for Kiwi test

Post by Luke Sun 03 Nov 2019, 10:29 am

The changes don't matter if all your going to do is a one passed conservative attack. We were so predictable and easy to defend against.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Wayne Bennett makes changes for Kiwi test Empty Re: Wayne Bennett makes changes for Kiwi test

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 07 Nov 2019, 1:05 pm

Jack Hughes plays in the centres against the Kiwis on Saturday
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/50308424

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 08 Nov 2019, 9:30 am

Yes, predictable, easy to defend and worst of all, not great viewing dull IMO.

Hughes at Centre is madness......as was Hardaker.....as is Graham at LF. From Bennett's comments in the other thread this does seem to being used as a pre-world cup test squad.

Slightly off topic but Tonga beating Australia is a great result for the international game.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 09 Nov 2019, 1:58 pm

Watching the highlights now of the NZ v England game

Made a nice change to be fair after the rugby union world cup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 09 Nov 2019, 9:57 pm

Steffan wrote:Watching the highlights now of the NZ v England game

Made a nice change to be fair after the rugby union world cup

Having not seen any of the RU World Cup, is there anything specific that you are referring to? (for background I was brought up watching and playing Union but switched so I know the basic rules).

IMHO I am convinced that this tour is a total shambles, "big" news that this is the first GB for several years doesn't seem to have filtered down to Wayne Bennett whose unbalanced "World Cup Warm-up/experimental" squad is being badly exposed due to injuries (Blake Austin on the wing is frankly embarrassing). James Graham (Capt.) thinks there are improvements, Bennett says they have "gone back a bit" i.e slammed it into reverse and put their foot down. From the outside it appears that priorities are all over the place and it is showing on the pitch.

I can see Bennett going, on the basis that this won't be the RFL's responsibility. The only part in his favour is the (in RL terms with so few International training session/games) looming World Cup.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 10 Nov 2019, 5:15 pm

I also didn't see any of the rugby Union world cup, so can't really comment on it.

But agree with beast, watching GB in this tour has been hard work. GB are dull to watch, to much one man stuff. The squad selections at the start made no sense (really just 2 wingers). The play and team selections poor at best. And it's obvious that Bennett doesn't watch any sl at all. He's not picking players in form, and not even in there club positions.

The GB (we picked a token Scot and Welshman), aspect should have been a big thing. But it's a damp squib. But he'll stay because despite Warne being ready, we'll stick with what we've got mentally at the RFL.

On a side note, your right Tonga's 2 wins have been a breath of fresh air. And really kicked international rugby awake. Sad that they probably haven't got a game till the WC.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 15 Nov 2019, 12:36 pm

I think Bennett has got his team selections very wrong on this tour, but with Bennett you never know what he's thinking and planning

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 15 Nov 2019, 8:28 pm

The Beast wrote:Having not seen any of the RU World Cup, is there anything specific that you are referring to?  (for background I was brought up watching and playing Union but switched so I know the basic rules).
Well as a Welshman I was of course very excited for the semi final against eventual winners South Africa. But the game was so static I wasn't even that gutted Wales lost where as if we had lost in a cracker I would have been gutted. That was the first league I have watched in a while and it was ok. I don't really do Union v League debates as I enjoy both codes and you can get brilliant and rubbish games in both. I am surprised though how that when Union went professional it just totally over took League in terms of money. Be interesting to see the difference in contracts between the Premiership and the Superleague as well as money earned from playing international matches

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:27 am

Steffan wrote:
The Beast wrote:Having not seen any of the RU World Cup, is there anything specific that you are referring to?  (for background I was brought up watching and playing Union but switched so I know the basic rules).
Well as a Welshman I was of course very excited for the semi final against eventual winners South Africa. But the game was so static I wasn't even that gutted Wales lost where as if we had lost in a cracker I would have been gutted. That was the first league I have watched in a while and it was ok. I don't really do Union v League debates as I enjoy both codes and you can get brilliant and rubbish games in both. I am surprised though how that when Union went professional it just totally over took League in terms of money. Be interesting to see the difference in contracts between the Premiership and the Superleague as well as money earned from playing international matches

I'm with you on the league/union thing. Both have good aspects to there respective codes. And both have different displinces and tactics that make them good. And to me you can't really compare them as they're are different sports. My main problem with union is I don't understand the rules properly, but otherwise I can appreciate it for what it is. I just prefer league.
To be honest, the best game was the Tonga/Australia, not just for the result but for the intensity and style if rugby that the lions just didn't come close to matching.

I know the union salary cap is alot bigger than league's (about £2 million more). My own personal opinion is that the union international structure even in a non world cup year. Promotes the sport alot more, in terms of media profile and money. And additional sponsorship filtering down to the clubs. The Heineken cup (think that's right), Futher promotes the sport and gives the sport that bigger event feel.
Where as league is generally seen as a small club sport. And given the amount of issues the sport has had since SL hasn't helped it.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 16 Nov 2019, 1:46 pm

And just when you think it can't be worse.

At least next week can't be, as the tours now ended
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 17 Nov 2019, 11:09 am

Sorry to bore but yes I agree with you there is no League v Union debate the only part I can't understand are those who flat out refuse to watch the other, it's not a crime to enjoy both.

The differences off pitch are however stark, Union is box office and IMO the media darling but run and promoted at a much much higher level. League on the other hand is run by the RFL who are seemingly clueless or powerless in promoting the sport and there are major issues with clubs and the national side failing in the understanding that they can promote each other. I agree with Luke, the sport needs more prime time terrestrial TV and perhaps..................Eddie Hearn. Yes some of his boxing show antics are cringeworthy but the man puts bums on seats.

What we did not need is a national team with strange selections (Ryan Hall?, no Liam Watts??) a bizarrely unbalanced squad with no willingness or ability to select players in the event of injury and playing a utterly bland style. That is however what we got and lost all 4 games, we've seen knee jerk reactions go badly but IMHO announcing that Wayne Bennett's contract will not be extended should be undertaken asap.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue 19 Nov 2019, 3:23 am

The Beast wrote:Sorry to bore but yes I agree with you there is no League v Union debate the only part I can't understand are those who flat out refuse to watch the other, it's not a crime to enjoy both.

The differences off pitch are however stark, Union is box office and IMO the media darling but run and promoted at a much much higher level.  League on the other hand is run by the RFL who are seemingly clueless or powerless in promoting the sport and there are major issues with clubs and the national side failing in the understanding that they can promote each other.  I agree with Luke, the sport needs more prime time terrestrial TV and perhaps..................Eddie Hearn.  Yes some of his boxing show antics are cringeworthy but the man puts bums on seats.

What we did not need is a national team with strange selections (Ryan Hall?, no Liam Watts??) a bizarrely unbalanced squad with no willingness or ability to select players in the event of injury and playing a utterly bland style.  That is however what we got and lost all 4 games, we've seen knee jerk reactions go badly but IMHO announcing that Wayne Bennett's contract will not be extended should be undertaken asap.
Well said

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down