The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If You Could Have a Sarry or Two and Why?

+13
BamBam
Pete330v2
Rinsure
SirBurger
stnick88
bluestonevedder
Gooseberry
Pot Hale
Hazel Sapling
Rugby Fan
LondonTiger
No 7&1/2
WELL-PAST-IT
17 posters

Go down

If You Could Have a Sarry or Two and Why? Empty If You Could Have a Sarry or Two and Why?

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:56 pm

So, Sarries down next year and going to "loan" out their expensive players. Who would you have for your side? I know it sounds a bit off but the fact is a lot of players are going to become available.

From a Saints perspective, George/Earl and Spencer.

BV is too injury prone for the salary.

We are okay for quality locks and props

We do not have a heavy duty carried in the back row hence Earl.

We have Haywood at hooker, but struggle after that.

Cobus is away next season, Mitchell is still learning, would like a quality 9 for a year or so.

Quite happy with our backs at the moment

Assuming Sarries come back up, their players will return and hopefully Sarries can return to being the best in Europe whilst playing fair.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

If You Could Have a Sarry or Two and Why? Empty Re: If You Could Have a Sarry or Two and Why?

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Would you not prefer wigglesworth to Spencer because of mitchell? More likely to be open to sharing the workload seemingly wanting to get into coaching?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

If You Could Have a Sarry or Two and Why? Empty Re: If You Could Have a Sarry or Two and Why?

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Saint's recruiting a starting 9 may work for them in the short run, but would be a bad move imo as Mitchell and Taylor should be playing week in week out.

As to the question - would not really be interested in a player on a season long loan. However if there are guys leaving permanently I woudl love to take:

George, Itoje (or Isiekwe) & Lozowski

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:15 pm

David Flatman says he'd go for Will Skelton (his tweet was before the weekend's red card). He thinks he offers tremendous power, with the advantage that he doesn't go away on internatioanl duty.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:46 pm

On a one year loan?

At Glasgow, one of the foreign tightheads, probably Koch or Lamitsele. Beyond that, it would probably be Maitland due to our lack of back three talent (hard not to say B Vunipola but for a year it would demand stylistic changes that may not work a la Naiyovoro who we did not make the most of).

Permanently, I would want Lamitsele as a top level insurance policy at TH and B Vunipola.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:59 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Saint's recruiting a starting 9 may work for them in the short run, but would be a bad move imo as Mitchell and Taylor should be playing week in week out.

As to the question - would not really be interested in a player on a season long loan. However if there are guys leaving permanently I woudl love to take:

Perhaps I should have added, the costs will come under your salary cap, so you have to think about what paying a year of Sarries wages will do to your cap.

I would only want him for a year, Mitchell should be ready by then and we have to think of our salary cap after all, we are owned by a plc.

Earl would not be that expensive at the moment, in a couple of years time though............ I could see him and Harrison working very well together.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:13 pm

I think Leinster should take Itoje, Kruis, Skelton and give poor Dev Toner a bit of time off.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Way the vultures are circling we will need a Sarries Cap to limit the amount teams can spend poaching them

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:26 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Saint's recruiting a starting 9 may work for them in the short run, but would be a bad move imo as Mitchell and Taylor should be playing week in week out.

Perhaps I should have added, the costs will come under your salary cap, so you have to think about what paying a year of Sarries wages will do to your cap.

I would only want him for a year, Mitchell should be ready by then and we have to think of our salary cap after all, we are owned by a plc.

Earl would not be that expensive at the moment, in a couple of years time though............ I could see him and Harrison working very well together.

While the injury has delayed stuff, Mitchell should be ready next season to be a starter with Taylor on the bench and covering for possible England duties. Mitchell will have been Reinach's back up for last year and half of this - time to let him play after the South African has left.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:47 pm

For Tigers I would take:

- Jaime George as we lack a good hooker
- Maro Itoje as we need someone to partner Lavanini in the 2nd row
- Nick Tompkins because he's a livewire, can operate at 12 and 13, and would compliment Tuilagi well

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:For Tigers I would take:

- Nick Tompkins because he's a livewire, can operate at 12 and 13, and would compliment Tuilagi well

I buy the  Isekwe over Itoje argument as he will actually be playing for tigers all season rather than limited by England/Lions call ups. With 6 other locks in the current squad the chances of him becoming a regular in the near future look very remote, but its very hard to see Itoje not being central to England for the next cycle. Agree that despite having two hookers that at their peak matched George its an area tigers need to reinvent on, but unless one or both of them leaves it would be even more overkill on one position (and he misses half the season with England).
Tompkins is a traitor and should be made to go play for a region.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:For Tigers I would take:

I buy the  Isekwe over Itoje argument as he will actually be playing for tigers all season rather than limited by England/Lions call ups. With 6 other locks in the current squad the chances of him becoming a regular in the near future look very remote, but its very hard to see Itoje not being central to England for the next cycle. Agree that despite having two hookers that at their peak matched George its an area tigers need to reinvent on, but unless one or both of them leaves it would be even more overkill on one position (and he misses half the season with England).
Tompkins is a traitor and should be made to go play for a region.

That's a good point about Isiekwe, but i'm not sure I couldn't turn down Itoje if given the chance to sign him. 

I'd argue that George is better than both Youngs and TPN at their peak. I think George has a more well rounded (Ahem, *Munster Dr. joke) game. 

I simply cannot argue with your point about Tompkins. But does anyone truly deserve that punishment?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:54 pm

We were similar in choices Eddie, though I opted for Lozowski over Tompkins due to him likely to be available for longer and covering so many positions to a really good standard.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:17 pm

LondonTiger wrote:We were similar in choices Eddie, though I opted for Lozowski over Tompkins due to him likely to be available for longer and covering so many positions to a really good standard.

We were. I guess that goes to show how obvious our deficiencies are! 

Loz is a great shout and I did think about it, but I didn't want to choose exactly the same as you...

Last edited by bluestonevedder on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:18 pm

as a London Irish fan, and being realistic as possible, i would take Lozowski and Isiekwe. We arent going to get the likes of farrell and itoje, but the others could be possible. We are desperately short in the centres and a hard worker like Isiekwe would be good at 6 for us.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:26 pm

stnick88 wrote:as a London Irish fan, and being realistic as possible, i would take Lozowski and Isiekwe. We arent going to get the likes of farrell and itoje, but the others could be possible. We are desperately short in the centres and a hard worker like Isiekwe would be good at 6 for us.

Yes, would be very happy with both of those. Isiekwe could cover lock if any injuries to Coleman or Botha. Mafi has been a disappointment so far at 6.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Ben Earl would also be very useful...

In any case, I expect these guys will end up at bigger clubs.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Tbf I think Tigers have done pretty well out of the deal getting Borthwick but if we can have a star lock who's still under 25 as well that would be a bonus.
Beyond the pure hypothetical nature of this post having Bortwick onboard could help tempt players like Itoje or Isekwe over if Tigers can find room in next years cap. They were mentored by the guy and clearly should instantly click.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:32 pm

I wonder what vultures talk about as they circle overhead?

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:59 am

stnick88 wrote:as a London Irish fan, and being realistic as possible, i would take Lozowski and Isiekwe. We arent going to get the likes of farrell and itoje, but the others could be possible. We are desperately short in the centres and a hard worker like Isiekwe would be good at 6 for us.

As a Wasps fan... exactly what you said, but for us I'd want Isiekwe in at lock alongside Launch, especially with Rowlands' Wales call up and possible departure to Wales in the Summer. We need a 12 to take the pressure off Jimmy, and as you say, Loz also offers cover across the backline.

The only one I'd definitely say no to would be Daly.

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:45 am

SirBurger wrote:

Yes, would be very happy with both of those. Isiekwe could cover lock if any injuries to Coleman or Botha. Mafi has been a disappointment so far at 6.

Mafi is slowly improving. I'm hopeful he will come good. Not really anyone to play ahead of him at the moment. Ioane could do but has disciplinary issues and Rogerson I don't think is good enough.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:13 am

Any decent scrummies going, Ulster need a half decent 9 to compete with Cooney. Send one over and we'll see how it pans out Wink

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:02 pm

There's a lot of talk on other forums about people taking Singleton if they had the chance. Is he really that good? Very limited time in an England shirt, but what i've seen of him in a Saracens shirt hasn't been great.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:43 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Any decent scrummies going, Ulster need a half decent 9 to compete with Cooney. Send one over and we'll see how it pans out Wink

Take Ben Spencer, he's pretty good. Given Eddie doesn't seem to like him he might find an Irish granny

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Would love to get Figallo, Rhodes (only if he can play 8), Carre, Lamositele, Koch and Skelton to shore up our pack - that would make it quite the formidable one. In the backs Maitland and Tompkins to give us cover and a better attacking thread than we currently have.

My team is Dragons btw.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:56 pm

BamBam wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:Any decent scrummies going, Ulster need a half decent 9 to compete with Cooney. Send one over and we'll see how it pans out Wink

Take Ben Spencer, he's pretty good. Given Eddie doesn't seem to like him he might find an Irish granny

Though capped, so......

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:02 pm

This life
One thing counts
In the bank
Large amounts
I'm afraid these don't grow on trees
You've got to pick a Sarry or two
You've got to pick a Sarry or two
Boys!
You've got to pick a sarry or two

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:14 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
BamBam wrote:

Though capped, so......

Details

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:15 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Would love to get Figallo, Rhodes (only if he can play 8), Carre, Lamositele, Koch and Skelton to shore up our pack - that would make it quite the formidable one. In the backs Maitland and Tompkins to give us cover and a better attacking thread than we currently have.

My team is Dragons btw.

Three tightheads?! Do you just want to be the new Sarries or something

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:28 pm

BamBam wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Would love to get Figallo, Rhodes (only if he can play 8), Carre, Lamositele, Koch and Skelton to shore up our pack - that would make it quite the formidable one. In the backs Maitland and Tompkins to give us cover and a better attacking thread than we currently have.

My team is Dragons btw.

Three tightheads?! Do you just want to be the new Sarries or something

They are back-to-back champions so why not. Lamositele is probably the cheapest but we'd take any one of the TH's so long as we get the LH. Carre and Tompkins are probably heading to Cardiff though, along with Rowlands if his contract is up.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:11 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:There's a lot of talk on other forums about people taking Singleton if they had the chance. Is he really that good? Very limited time in an England shirt, but what i've seen of him in a Saracens shirt hasn't been great.

Mobile, physical, aggressive and still only 23. Some rough edges to smooth off but there's a lot of potential there. Tigers are likely to see TPN go and there are rumours Youngs might retire as well. Jake Kerr is settled in and him plus Singleton with Clare backing up should be both cost effective and perform well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:38 pm

I'd like Farrell to come to Edinburgh just for the fun when he has to deal with Cockers! Cockers has not time for spoilt brats!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:40 pm

They should get along fine then. Clearly one of the hardest working players around.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:59 pm

BamBam wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
BamBam wrote:

Though capped, so......

Details

Didn't he come off the bench in the RWC final? I think he made a couple of appearances in the pool stages too. His Irish granny weeps for him Smile

I know we'd never be able to take a player for a year, we're Ulster, we don't get such luxuries. In a perfect world I'd have Farrell and Itoje for a season. Farrell would do wonders for Billy Burns' game development and Itoje simply because he's world class.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Really don't think Farrell is anywhere near being a spoilt brat...?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:30 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:They should get along fine then. Clearly one of the hardest working players around.

Cockers would definitely love to have Farrell in any squad he has - the kind of 10 he like along with a diligent work ethic.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Getting better as captain as well. Did anyone see Wray have his captaincy ignored/removed?! Never seen that before.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:02 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Getting better as captain as well. Did anyone see Wray have his captaincy ignored/removed?! Never seen that before.

Happened to Saints earlier this season. I think Waller was told he was no longer captain and someone else took up the reigns. Might have been the flyhalf in that situation as well. Just because you are the captain doesn't mean you can disrespect the referee.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum