The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Israel Folau Joins Catalan Dragons

5 posters

Go down

Israel Folau Joins Catalan Dragons Empty Israel Folau Joins Catalan Dragons

Post by The Beast Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:38 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51282586

Given the controversy this is likely to create I thought its own thread would be appropriate.

I'll start with my 10p opinion. Whilst I don't agree with his previous comments for my money he has the right to express them and I can't see how laws can be passed to stop anyone thinking for themselves.

The Wigan game on 22nd March could be interesting, they are using the game to support LGBTQ communities. Press conference; Israel what do think of this initiative? Tricky balancing for SL who will allow Sonny Bill Williams to cover betting logo's on Toronto's shirts.

That said any thoughts on how this might affect SL or his signing generally?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Israel Folau Joins Catalan Dragons Empty Re: Israel Folau Joins Catalan Dragons

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:09 am

The Beast wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51282586

Given the controversy this is likely to create I thought its own thread would be appropriate.

I'll start with my 10p opinion.  Whilst I don't agree with his previous comments for my money he has the right to express them and I can't see how laws can be passed to stop anyone thinking for themselves.

The Wigan game on 22nd March could be interesting, they are using the game to support LGBTQ communities. Press conference; Israel what do think of this initiative?  Tricky balancing for SL who will allow Sonny Bill Williams to cover betting logo's on Toronto's shirts.

That said any thoughts on how this might affect SL or his signing generally?  
Well it will certainly attract attention here, France, Australia and New Zealand and the PI's that's for sure.
I would imagine that when the Catalans play the Wolfpack in France it will attract a huge crowd with many union supporters there to see Folau and SBW

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:25 pm

As a player, I'm not sure. If he gets back to form then could be a good signing, not played for a while so rusty.

As for his comments, they're obviously not what many people would agree with, but you can't really sensor anyone and have free speech.

As for his signing, unfortunately this will have a negative impact, with lots of bad press at a time were looking for TV/advertisement/ more press etc.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:01 pm

What is the actual issue with Israel Folau?  

I've heard it has something to do with a religious opinion - that homosexuals will or won't go to an imaginary place in the afterlife?  

But is he actually refusing to play alongside homosexuals or advocating violence towards homosexuals in real life?  

Tyson Fury made sexist, racist and anti-semitic comments based on his religious - cultural beliefs - yet he was not banned from boxing - and there was no global media witch hunt against him.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:09 pm

I don't agree with anything that Folau has said but he has the right to express his views, society is getting to the point now where the liberal side of the media want everyone to be thoughtless sheep.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:09 pm

He said
That all gay people will burn in hell.

And linked the bushfire problems, to the fact of Australia same sex marriage and abortion laws. Saying a taste of god's rule or something similar.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:11 am

Did the Catalan Dragons wear a yellow ribbon (like Pep Guardiola) when the Spanish oppressors imprisoned the elected Catalan Leaders following the overwhelming vote by the Catalan people (92%) to cast off the Spanish shackles?
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 am

I could be wrong, but no I don't think they did.
Though Catalan are based on the French side in Perpignan, so that may have been the reason why not.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Luke wrote:He said
That all gay people will burn in hell.

And linked the bushfire problems, to the fact of Australia same sex marriage and abortion laws. Saying a taste of god's rule or something similar.

This and generally anyone who do not follow his religious beliefs e.g. Atheists can burn in hell.

Soul Requiem; 100% agree.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:38 pm

No name Bertie wrote:What is the actual issue with Israel Folau?  

I've heard it has something to do with a religious opinion - that homosexuals will or won't go to an imaginary place in the afterlife?  

But is he actually refusing to play alongside homosexuals or advocating violence towards homosexuals in real life?  

Tyson Fury made sexist, racist and anti-semitic comments based on his religious - cultural beliefs - yet he was not banned from boxing - and there was no global media witch hunt against him.
100% correct.
People are entitled to there views in the free world. Nobody is saying you to have to agree or disagree with them

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:53 am

I have to say that this is the most ridiculous articles I have seen for some time. To be fair IF this piece is correct other clubs are in agreement.

Neil Hudgell (Hull KR) threatens legal action

OK, clubs are unhappy but really? What if for example attendances rise, will clubs be writing Catalans a cheque?

Again I absolutely do not agree with his comments however IMO there have been plenty of players in SL who have had said as bad/done worse. A dangerous precedent.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:11 am

Designating the match a pride game is pathetic and petty from Wigan, it's sport and all this added cr*p just marginalises the sport further. I remember it being a big thing in Union that Sam Underhill didn't wish to wear rainbow socks, why the hell should he be expected to?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:51 pm

I suspect that Folau is only going to play one season with the Catalans and then return to union probably in France.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down