The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament.

+35
Dirtydave
RiscaGame
Khouli Khan
WELL-PAST-IT
yappysnap
majesticimperialman
Mr Bounce
BamBam
Brendan
LondonTiger
demosthenes
rapidsnowman
Duty281
rodders
carpet baboon
king_carlos
Taylorman
Cyril
bsando
whocares
MichaelT
Soul Requiem
BigGee
Pot Hale
tigertattie
bluestonevedder
lostinwales
SecretFly
Rugby Fan
Gooseberry
TightHEAD
Pete330v2
No 7&1/2
No9
39 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament. - Page 2 Empty Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament.

Post by No9 Mon 24 Feb 2020, 1:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Yes, there is a real chance that not all games in this years 6 Nations may be completed as Italian authorities are enforcing "no go zones" as a result of the Corona virus.

Pro 14 games with Zebre and Treviso against Ospreys and Ulster have already been postponed as well as the women's game this weekend. Now at the moment its hitting the North, but there are real concerns and questions being asked whether the Italian team should withdraw from the remainder of the 6 Nations matches, as they're players themselves are based in those regions.

Of course, this would be an upset for all us rugby fans, but we shouldn't lose sight of the bigger picture here, that being that people are losing their lives to this, so please consider that before you WUM on this thread.

Personally, I hope the 6 Nations completes, but my thoughts go out to all being caught up in this and as such would fully understand if the 6 Nations isnt completed. After all, we delayed the 6 Nations over Foot and Mouth outbreak and even cancelled previous 5 Nations over terrorist threats, so I guess we have to put it into perspective.

*** BEFORE you WUM on this thread... think***

************Update 27th Feb @ 1800hrs ***************

BBC wrote:

Officials from around the rugby world are meeting at a pre-arranged World Rugby summit at the start of next week, with Six Nations unions set to take this opportunity to continue discussions around rescheduling the cancelled games.

While France can still clinch the Grand Slam, if they were to lose one of their remaining matches then the men's Championship may not have a winner unless Ireland's game with Italy in Dublin is rearranged.

Six Nations sources have indicated that matches will only be called off in the event of a governmental directive.

While the Italy against England women's match is under more threat because it is being staged in Padua in Veneto, the virus has not yet spread to Rome, where the men's Italy against England game is taking place.

The Italy against Scotland match in the women's Championship was called off last weekend because it was being staged in the Lombardy region, which is one of the affected areas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51666898

Last edited by No9 on Thu 27 Feb 2020, 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

No9

Back to top Go down

Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament. - Page 2 Empty Re: Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament.

Post by whocares Tue 25 Feb 2020, 12:42 pm

SecretFly wrote:But the final round would mean us going to France.... is that not also a mass gathering and was there Coronavirus cases in France?

There were 6 cases at the start (one dead, others are out of the hospital) plus the English family at the skiing resort.
But I bet that in 2 weeks times there will be many many more...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament. - Page 2 Empty Re: Risk 6 Nations may not complete this years tournament.

Post by tigertattie Tue 25 Feb 2020, 12:44 pm

So we're saying games in unaffected areas can still go ahead but all results going forward an null and void as all fixtures cant be completed.

So France as Champions (no slam)
England finish 2nd
Ireland finish 3rd (but get an ecumenical victory for not being beaten by the champions)
Wales finish 4th
Scotland finish 5th (but we get a moral victory for not being beaten by the champions)
Italy get the Wooden Spoon (not reverse slammed)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 25 Feb 2020, 12:53 pm

The fairest way of settling it would probably be if:
France weren’t offered any wins or bonus points - they’ve had enough
Wales got 5 point for the England game and none for the Scotland game
England get 0 for both remaining games, Eddie’s been mouthing off too much
Ireland get four points for the France game and none for Italy
Italy get 5 points from both as they’re going through a tough time
Which means Scotland get 5 points from each of their last two games, finishing as well deserved champions.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 25 Feb 2020, 12:54 pm

Yes....or vice versa.  As long as it pleases the chap in 2167.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 25 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm

SecretFly wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:Looking beyond the 6 nations, if it is compromised then obviously the Champions Cup will be effected as well. We don't know how widespread this will get but as it's already in Italy and France we can only suspect there'll be more areas contaminated. Just as well be just left Europe eh? Time for Boris to close the borders Smile

Let me in please!  I'm just across the border.  Won't take me long to put me toothbrush in the boot of the car.  I seek refugee status!

According to the data on Sky news UK has 13 known cases and Ireland none.

Let me back home!  No, don't do that!  Don't close them gates.... I forgot me toothbrush!!!!!

To hell with that, let me into the south, we've our usual cottage booked in Dingle this summer so I'm not missing that.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Tue 25 Feb 2020, 1:23 pm

See they have just declared the first confirmed infection in "south" Italy... Plus Austria and Croatia, which points to Italy borders.

Think it is inevitable that the remaining games are at risk of cancellation.

Would make sense the 6 Nations made a call earlier rather than later to allow fans to try and get refunds on trips. Crying or Very sad

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 25 Feb 2020, 2:24 pm

I think the England Italy game is almost certainly going to be postponed, it seems inconceivable that the problem will be solved in 14-21 days time. Unless they are going to barricade in the people of Northern Italy it seems manifestly stupid to put on a huge event to get people from uninfected regions to network with infected people. I don't, personally, see the point in postponing the games involving the nations other than Italy unless literally every other major sporting event goes the same way. Equally, I would imagine that the Irish government will step in on the Italy game before too long. They probably don't want to attract several thousands Italians over to the country as things stand.
Still, in strictly rugby terms, it may prove better in the long run. If the game is postponed they can slot it in prior to the summer tours. If the Championship is decided it can be a proper testimonial for Parisse before both teams go off on their summer tours.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 25 Feb 2020, 3:15 pm

123456789. wrote:I think the England Italy game is almost certainly going to be postponed, it seems inconceivable that the problem will be solved in 14-21 days time. Unless they are going to barricade in the people of Northern Italy it seems manifestly stupid to put on a huge event to get people from uninfected regions to network with infected people. I don't, personally, see the point in postponing the games involving the nations other than Italy unless literally every other major sporting event goes the same way. Equally, I would imagine that the Irish government will step in on the Italy game before too long. They probably don't want to attract several thousands Italians over to the country as things stand.
Still, in strictly rugby terms, it may prove better in the long run. If the game is postponed they can slot it in prior to the summer tours. If the Championship is decided it can be a proper testimonial for Parisse before both teams go off on their summer tours.

The first postponement is likely to be the Ireland v Italy match in Dublin on 7 March. if that happens, the whole thing goes skewy. It was much easier to shift around club schedules in 2001 - much more difficult now. So cancellation more likely the outcome. In which case, the IRFU and ERFU accept that they don't get the maximum points available, and France get the Championship by default. In which case, the final round games become a farce as there would be nothing to gain for Ireland playing France in Paris.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 25 Feb 2020, 4:28 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
123456789. wrote:I think the England Italy game is almost certainly going to be postponed, it seems inconceivable that the problem will be solved in 14-21 days time. Unless they are going to barricade in the people of Northern Italy it seems manifestly stupid to put on a huge event to get people from uninfected regions to network with infected people. I don't, personally, see the point in postponing the games involving the nations other than Italy unless literally every other major sporting event goes the same way. Equally, I would imagine that the Irish government will step in on the Italy game before too long. They probably don't want to attract several thousands Italians over to the country as things stand.

The first postponement is likely to be the Ireland v Italy match in Dublin on 7 March.   if that happens, the whole thing goes skewy.   It was much easier to shift around club schedules in 2001 - much more difficult now.   So cancellation more likely the outcome.  In which case, the IRFU and ERFU accept that they don't get the maximum points available, and France get the Championship by default.  In which case, the final round games become a farce as there would be nothing to gain for Ireland playing France in Paris.  

Well no more so than the games they play every Autumn and every September. No more so than the Scotland and Wales game. Players always want to play for their country and always want to win for their country. The best bet would be to wait and see the results. If the Championship is still there to be played for then they should play the games by hook or by crook. Potential windows to play the game would be prior to the Autumn internationals next year (both Ireland and Italy centrally contract most of their players) or for England in the Barbarians slot in the summer. Equally if there's literally nothing to play for it seems a bit unnecessary to go ahead with them. It might be a difficult sell to Italy to put their players to see if England or Ireland put four tries on the both of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 25 Feb 2020, 4:37 pm

Why don't they play Italy vs England at Murrayfield? Scotland play France the following day so they'd get plenty of bums on seats for it. The pitch itself is a hybrid-grass pitch so I doubt it would effect the scheduled match on Sunday afternoon. Obviously I am not an events organiser and know little about the red tape involved etc etc but could be a feasible option.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Tue 25 Feb 2020, 4:39 pm

Italy and England are on the final weekend where all matches play on one afternoon. I think you're thinking of Ireland v Italy.

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 25 Feb 2020, 4:42 pm

MichaelT wrote:Italy and England are on the final weekend where all matches play on one afternoon. I think you're thinking of Ireland v Italy.

Oops, yep I was mixing games up. Well Italy vs Ireland in Dublin should be fine then.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 25 Feb 2020, 4:44 pm

bsando wrote:Why don't they play Italy vs England at Murrayfield? Scotland play France the following day so they'd get plenty of bums on seats for it. The pitch itself is a hybrid-grass pitch so I doubt it would effect the scheduled match on Sunday afternoon. Obviously I am not an events organiser and know little about the red tape involved etc etc but could be a feasible option.

Have you even seen the weather up there?

A venue in the south of France might make the best neutral territory but ultimately if it does get moved you cam bet the italian union would trade home advantage for a bigger gate cut...and london would give them that.

In terms of stopping the virus spread though closed doors would be the sensible option, bit not a solution anyone would like.

If it does get to the point of pandemic then all the mot travelling really goes out of the window

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 25 Feb 2020, 4:52 pm

Much though I want to see the games take place I can't help thinking that even one infected Italian fan could generate serious problems in a match day crowd. Given that it is strongly suspected that people are infectious before they show symptoms there is a real chance of chaos.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 25 Feb 2020, 5:27 pm

If one game is called off due to the virus then realisitcally the whole championship needs to be abandonded

Games in unaffected areas, Scotland vs Wales for exmaple, could still go ahead but there'd be no championship points on offer.

Imagine a situation where England travel to Italy knowing if they get a bonus point win by say more than 30 points, they can get the title, but that game is postposed and gets rescheduled to the end of the season. Italy, after a long season may just send out the 2nd XV and get humped, thus handing England the title.

France wouldnt be much happy about that now would they!

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 25 Feb 2020, 5:29 pm

tigertattie wrote:If one game is called off due to the virus then realisitcally the whole championship needs to be abandonded

Games in unaffected areas, Scotland vs Wales for exmaple, could still go ahead but there'd be no championship points on offer.

Imagine a situation where England travel to Italy knowing if they get a bonus point win by say more than 30 points, they can get the title, but that game is postposed and gets rescheduled to the end of the season. Italy, after a long season may just send out the 2nd XV and get humped, thus handing England the title.

Looking at 2001 all of Ireland's home games were put off then held on successive weekends in the Autumn. Come England they were battle hardened and ready, against what on paper was one of the best (if not the best ever) English teams and they caught them cold.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 25 Feb 2020, 5:32 pm

tigertattie wrote:If one game is called off due to the virus then realisitcally the whole championship needs to be abandonded

I think theyd be more upset about having lost to either Ireland or Scotland tbh

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 25 Feb 2020, 7:15 pm

I can't see why the Championship should be called off because of one or two matches. France beating Scotland and Ireland would be a grand slam and they should be rewarded as such. Scotland's remaining two games are all but dead rubbers from our point of view anyway so whether or not they award points doesn't matter either way to me. If the Championship is still there to be played for, either for England or Ireland, then they should attempt to find a way to play the Italy games. The England-Italy game, if need be, could be played in the semi-final slot of the Champions Cup. With England's depth they can comfortably put a team out missing two clubs which is the maximum that will make it through, if you go with the bookies there'll be one English team in the semi-final. That means they'll be short Cowan-Dickie and Slade from the squad last weekend. The Ireland-Italy game, if it was necessary to play it, could be slotted in prior to the Autumn Internationals given that both countries centrally contract their players.

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Tue 25 Feb 2020, 7:15 pm

Pot Hale wrote:

The first postponement is likely to be the Ireland v Italy match in Dublin on 7 March.   if that happens, the whole thing goes skewy.   It was much easier to shift around club schedules in 2001 - much more difficult now.   So cancellation more likely the outcome.  In which case, the IRFU and ERFU accept that they don't get the maximum points available, and France get the Championship by default.  In which case, the final round games become a farce as there would be nothing to gain for Ireland playing France in Paris.  

There would/could still be a Grand Slam for France to play for. So not exactly true.

But I wont be surprised if Ireland pull their next game against Italy to avoid mass travelling fans, and the RFU does the same for the safety of fans travelling to Rome. If that happens, and other games go ahead, then if France wins all they get a Grand Slam, impossible to beat and as such are 2020 6 Nations Champions. If they loose one or both of the games, then the tournament will be declared incomplete and just NULL and VOID. No one will gain 6 Nations title. If it comes down to points difference, you cannot award it without all games being played.

So come on France, win the Slam and save us from a "non" tournament.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 25 Feb 2020, 8:06 pm

Sorry 9, we just gotta win our next big game (not counting Italy) to save the blushes ........., so Null, Void and forgotten Six Nations it's gotta be, I'm afraid

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 25 Feb 2020, 8:10 pm

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-six-nations-5021881-Feb2020/

The Department of Health has said it shouldn't go ahead now so it would be fairly mental for the IRFU to allow it to happen. Firstly because they won't have made this decision lightly so it's a fair call, secondly because if anyone did succumb to it then they would be leaving themselves up for legal proceedings.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 25 Feb 2020, 8:15 pm

123456789. wrote:https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-six-nations-5021881-Feb2020/

The Department of Health has said it shouldn't go ahead now so it would be fairly mental for the IRFU to allow it to happen. Firstly because they won't have made this decision lightly so it's a fair call, secondly because if anyone did succumb to it then they would be leaving themselves up for legal proceedings.

Yep. Kinda caught now.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 25 Feb 2020, 10:56 pm

The IRFU have questioned them on the decision, it's a dangerous route for them to down as an organisation. If the match is now not called off and, god forbid, someone falls ill or worse then they haven't got a leg to stand on. However the Barcelona-Napoli game went ahead tonight so there's obviously some nuance to the debate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 25 Feb 2020, 11:31 pm

IRFU hopefully not following the Scotland’s stance at the RWC and threatening legal action?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 26 Feb 2020, 1:04 am

Well you could have Italy base in the UK for the rest of the tourney and play out their matches away. Crusaders shared points from a called off match in Earthquake 2011 and played all their matches outside Christchurch, and almost ripped the final off.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 26 Feb 2020, 1:21 am

Taylorman wrote:Well you could have Italy base in the UK for the rest of the tourney and play out their matches away. Crusaders shared points from a called off match in Earthquake 2011 and played all their matches outside Christchurch, and almost ripped the final off.

Italy are already playing away in Dublin. The Government wants the game called off due to the threat of travelling fans who will be coming from the infected regions in Northern Italy. Telling Italy to go to the UK is not going to change anything only make it worse with more travelling fans.

The tournament’s a crock for this season.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 26 Feb 2020, 1:25 am

No9 wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

There would/could still be a Grand Slam for France to play for. So not exactly true.

But I wont be surprised if Ireland pull their next game against Italy to avoid mass travelling fans, and the RFU does the same for the safety of fans travelling to Rome. If that happens, and other games go ahead, then if France wins all they get a Grand Slam, impossible to beat and as such are 2020 6 Nations Champions. If they loose one or both of the games, then the tournament will be declared incomplete and just NULL and VOID. No one will gain 6 Nations title. If it comes down to points difference, you cannot award it without all games being played.

So come on France, win the Slam and save us from a "non" tournament.

Nothing to gain for Ireland....... if they’ve been taken out of the title by the Italy games being cancelled. Which has now been decided.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 26 Feb 2020, 1:41 am

If the worry with playing games in the UK is the threat of travelling fans spreading the virus then surely playing the game behind closed doors would be the simplest way to finish the tournament and circumvent the health threat?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 26 Feb 2020, 6:52 am

king_carlos wrote:If the worry with playing games in the UK is the threat of travelling fans spreading the virus then surely playing the game behind closed doors would be the simplest way to finish the tournament and circumvent the health threat?

Yes. But then the tickets would all have to be refunded. Not sure any of the unions fancy missing out on the several million that would be.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2020, 8:15 am

Just where are the Italian squad now?  These International squads contain quite a number of people - players plus coaches plus logistics people etc.  
So even this idea of closed door games - it's still a sizeable collection of people travelling and coming into contact with other sizeable groups.
Not trying to be alarmist but just dealing with the logic of these proposals going around.  People are dying and none of us would like to think of our grandparents or other vulnerable members of our family or friends being exposed to more risk than is needed just for the sake of a few rugby games.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 26 Feb 2020, 8:17 am

Pot Hale wrote:   Telling Italy to go to the UK is not going to change anything only make it worse with more travelling fans.

I think Italy not getting any points means they arent allowed in anyway post Brexit

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:11 am

Ok, so now it appears to be official going from the reports coming in to me. As the IRFU are castigated on radio for delaying their decision to follow the recommendation of the minister for health until meeting directly with him, the Italians have decided for themselves that the risks are too great.
Their players are terrified of catching what the Irish players already have and displayed against England. Game off

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:21 am

Yes sounds like will be confirmed today that Ireland V Italy is off.

Given how Ireland are playing it's probably for the best.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:24 am

I wonder what the number of people who have died because of normal flu are this winter?

But anyway its just a game, so the sensible option is to cancel and spare Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales anymore humiliation.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:30 am

Did wonder about this the other day, and it’ll be no surprise to see the two Italy games called off and possibly the tournament as a whole.

Could be the tip of the iceberg in sporting terms. Easy to see the European Football Championship and the Olympics getting abandoned too.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:38 am

TightHEAD wrote:I wonder what the number of people who have died because of normal flu are this winter?

But anyway its just a game, so the sensible option is to cancel and spare Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales anymore humiliation.  

Boom, Boom, Basil!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:40 am

Duty281 wrote:Did wonder about this the other day, and it’ll be no surprise to see the two Italy games called off and possibly the tournament as a whole.

Could be the tip of the iceberg in sporting terms. Easy to see the European Football Championship and the Olympics getting abandoned too.

Oh goodie!  Every cloud has a silver lining and all that jazz......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:41 am

TightHEAD wrote:I wonder what the number of people who have died because of normal flu are this winter?

That isn't relevant. We can't prevent the spread of flu. We are getting very close (probably past) the point where we can prevent the spread of the new virus. Just because it only kills roughly 1 in 50 doesn't mean it won't kill a lot of people.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:44 am

Duty281 wrote:Did wonder about this the other day, and it’ll be no surprise to see the two Italy games called off and possibly the tournament as a whole.

It feels almost inevitable now that the Euros will be cancelled especially with it being held in 12 different countries. The Olympics is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:47 am

lostinwales wrote:

That isn't relevant. We can't prevent the spread of flu. We are getting very close (probably past) the point where we can prevent the spread of the new virus. Just because it only kills roughly 1 in 50 doesn't mean it won't kill a lot of people.

Can't help but think the Governments around the globe wouldn't mind a decreasing population. Maybe that explains why their response to all this has been very slow.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:51 am

*Japan Rugby Top League Important Announcement*

Due to concerns related to the spread of Coronavirus, Japan Rugby Top League matches scheduled for this weekend and next, will be postponed.

Matches scheduled to take place on 29 February and 1 March will be rescheduled to 21, 22 March and matches scheduled for 7, 8 March will be rescheduled to 2, 3 May

https://twitter.com/JRFURugby/status/1232575951852068864

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:54 am

TightHEAD wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Can't help but think the Governments around the globe wouldn't mind a decreasing population. Maybe that explains why their response to all this has been very slow.

Yeah.  David Attenborough is always on about or hinting that there are too many people on the planet.  He's part of an elite collective of 'high thinkers'.  So yep, it can be wondered what they talk about to each other when the cameras aren't running.
But as I always mutter to David when he once again slides in the 'too much of us' reprimand; "You first, David."

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 26 Feb 2020, 10:25 am

And give England a better chance to secure their beloved second place in the table Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 26 Feb 2020, 10:29 am

I would say no chance the Olympics goes ahead but they'll hold off for as long as possible to make that call.

I think authorities in Europe have been slow to act for economic reasons. If they advise people not to travel to impacted locations they'll have more rights in terms of compensation. Whereas if they just leave it up to personal choice then they have to foot the bill themselves.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 26 Feb 2020, 10:43 am

TightHEAD wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Depends if you are 'economically active' or not

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Wed 26 Feb 2020, 10:49 am

Couldn't they just null and void all the games involving Italy (including the ones that have been played) and finish out the tournament as a 5 Nations?

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 26 Feb 2020, 11:30 am

carpet baboon wrote:
king_carlos wrote:If the worry with playing games in the UK is the threat of travelling fans spreading the virus then surely playing the game behind closed doors would be the simplest way to finish the tournament and circumvent the health threat?

Yes. But then the tickets would all have to be refunded. Not sure any of the unions fancy missing out on the several million that would be.

I can't imagine that travelling fans will change their plans unless forced to. The Irish health minister wants the IRFU to call off the game but in order for that to be effective they'll have to bar the travelling fans from doing just that, travelling. Italian fans will have hotels and flights booked as well as leave from work etc, etc. I imagine a fair chunk of them will still take the opportunity for a weekend in Dublin. For that matter, there's a number of flights coming and going to Italy today, tomorrow etc. Apparently 1500 people a day leave Dublin airport for Italy, I assume a similar number travel from Italy to Dublin. That's 10,000 people a week exchanging sneezes. For Harris' demands to hold water he'd need to be aiming his sights at the airport authority and the airlines because stopping a rugby match isn't going to stop anything.

Apart from the rugby match of course.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Wed 26 Feb 2020, 11:56 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

I can't imagine that travelling fans will change their plans unless forced to. The Irish health minister wants the IRFU to call off the game but in order for that to be effective they'll have to bar the travelling fans from doing just that, travelling. Italian fans will have hotels and flights booked as well as leave from work etc, etc. I imagine a fair chunk of them will still take the opportunity for a weekend in Dublin. For that matter, there's a number of flights coming and going to Italy today, tomorrow etc. Apparently 1500 people a day leave Dublin airport for Italy, I assume a similar number travel from Italy to Dublin. That's 10,000 people a week exchanging sneezes. For Harris' demands to hold water he'd need to be aiming his sights at the airport authority and the airlines because stopping a rugby match isn't going to stop anything.

Apart from the rugby match of course.

And if travel insurance is the same as in the UK then unless the government put a 'do not travel' notice out you won't be able to claim for cancelling your flight and hotel.  So the fans or most of them, will still travel.  And get around Dublin even more as they won't be going to the game.

Oops!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Wed 26 Feb 2020, 12:17 pm

There's still two weeks to go before the game is due to be played so I suspect they may well be expecting a do not travel order to be put out.

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Wed 26 Feb 2020, 12:50 pm

Some will have booked a package. They will be due a refund, as they book a package to see the game. If not on, then they will have to be refunded.

Others will have booked themselves over the Internet. Most will be able to cancel hotels with notice and also their flights (unless booked with Ryan Air, who will have a pay us more to cancel clause).

So basically, the sooner the decision is announced, then more fans will be able to cancel and get monies back. The longer its left without a decision, the more chance the fan will be out of pocket and will say "sod it" and come for a weekend away.

No fly orders are being issued around the world, but cant see a stop between Italy and Ireland (or UK) soon. But the key thing, is concentration of people. If the game goes ahead there will be a higher concentration of people (in and around Dublin) of potential Corona virus "carrying" people than if the game was cancelled. Its all about managing risk and trying to contain the spread.

I bet France will be a problem soon, and then their Slam hopes will be over. As for travel between Scotland, England and Wales that will be a little trickier to stop, being one internationally recognised country. But to contain this, there is a call to stop mass gatherings, but that would stop Football games as well, and cant see them doing that... The fuss the Premier League would cause, if they had to curtail their season.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next