PGA Tour: Florida Swing, Part 2: Bay Hill: More Notes from the Ballwasher

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

PGA Tour: Florida Swing, Part 2: Bay Hill: More Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty PGA Tour: Florida Swing, Part 2: Bay Hill: More Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Thu 27 Feb 2020, 2:24 am

First topic message reminder :

1).The four tournament Florida Swing gets underway with the Honda Classic at PGA National - difficult enough for the pros but unforgiving to hackers.
Keith Mitchell is defending champ at the Honda Classic.
Francesco Molinari defends at Bay Hill.
Rory at The Players
And Paul Casey has won the past two Valspar Championships.

2).This is obviously a compressed part of the schedule - Justin Thomas won Honda a couple of years ago, but he's missing this week, no longer on his must do list.
princedrac reckons that only Riviera this year has had a stronger field in 2020 than in 2019.
Only FOUR top 60 Americans playing.
But SIX top 60 Englishmen.

3).I don't know what other long-time observers think, but it seems to me the Bermuda Greens experts have slightly less of an advantage than for previous generations.
No longer would Watson not be able to win in Florida while Trevino could never win in California.
Fer instance.
But Keith Mitchell may reveal himself to be an exception, so it'll be interesting to see how he fares this week.

4).The Top 50 from this coming Monday's owgr will qualify for The Players, then only five or six weeks before that will also be the benchmark for an Augusta invite. Time to get going for that one Poults. (Who should have won this a few years ago but for an untimely pandemic of the shanks.)

5).But on a more serious note, how will golf cope if China's germ warfare spreads more readily across the world? A conundrum that one doubts anyone (not Olympic organisers either) was thinking about a month ago. How will international players react if the US tries to close borders, as Trump TV advocated so strongly during the ebola outbreak? (Thank goodness for Cuba's doctors during that one - doubt they'll be called upon this time, not in the US anyway.)

6).High time a British golfer not called Rory (or Graeme) wins again on Tour, Casey was the last almost a year ago. Time for Fleetwood & Wallace to strut their stuff and for Poults and Rose to show they still have what it takes.

7).It's going to be breezy at Bay Hill, downright windy for Round 1 if Thursday's forecast is correct.

8).Francesco Molinari defends his thrilling win last March, but his only PGA Tour Top 20's since last year's Masters disappointment were at Portrush and Pebble Beach (US Open).

9).Non-Americans have won the past for Arnie Invitationals, Leishman & Day, Rory & Franny, and the International flavour extended all the way down the leaderboard last year, Keith Mitchell being the only American inside the Top Ten.
Including 2nd: Fitzpatrick
T3: Rafa C-B, Fleetwood
T6: Wallace, Rory

10).Hopefully Tommy can put last week's disappointment behind him, but don't overlook Henrik Stenson who has a fantastic record here without winning. Yet.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 04 Mar 2020, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Florida Swing, Part 2: Bay Hill: More Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Florida Swing, Part 2: Bay Hill: More Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Mon 09 Mar 2020, 9:15 pm

Why TPC Sawgrass? (ok I know why) But you should think they could find a more exciting place.

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Florida Swing, Part 2: Bay Hill: More Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Florida Swing, Part 2: Bay Hill: More Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 09 Mar 2020, 9:26 pm

GPB wrote:The PGA Championship, scheduled for Harding Park in San Francisco in two months, might be moved to TPC Sawgrass because of the CoronaVirus.

https://twitter.com/RobertLusetich/status/1237095315393536000

I think they ought to go to Doral.

I think they've more chance of getting shot than getting coronavirus . . . . . .
TPC Sawgrass would be a ridiculous venue.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 09 Mar 2020, 9:45 pm

Wouldn’t it be easier to carry on without spectators then? (Which should favour ET players as they’re used to that.)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Mon 09 Mar 2020, 10:25 pm

LPGA players looking for a place to play after Coronavirus cancelled their Asian Swing.

Pernilla Lindberg played in New Zealand a couple weeks ago. She missed the cut badly.

Nordqvist is playing a (Mens) Mini tour event in Arizona

Not doing badly

https://outlawtour.bluegolf.com/bluegolfw/outlawtour19/event/outlawtour1910/contest/1/leaderboard.htmhttps://twitter.com/acaseofthegolf1/status/1237139256767852544

The only other name I recognize is Tucker Wadkins. Lanny Wadkins son

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 2:49 am

GPB wrote:The PGA Championship, scheduled for Harding Park in San Francisco in two months, might be moved to TPC Sawgrass because of the CoronaVirus.

https://twitter.com/RobertLusetich/status/1237095315393536000

I think they ought to go to Doral.
best suggestion I heard was to move the Nelson back a week put the PGA on a dried out, firmed up Trinity Forest and let it go out in a blaze of glory. Very Happy

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 2:52 am

GPB wrote:LPGA players looking for a place to play after Coronavirus cancelled their Asian Swing.

Pernilla Lindberg played in New Zealand a couple weeks ago.  She missed the cut badly.

Not doing badly

https://outlawtour.bluegolf.com/bluegolfw/outlawtour19/event/outlawtour1910/contest/1/leaderboard.htmhttps://twitter.com/acaseofthegolf1/status/1237139256767852544

The only other name I recognize is Tucker Wadkins.  Lanny Wadkins son

With recent ET cancellations... After this week's Indian Open, the ET won't have another regular event for its rank and file until the end of April. Events in black are cancellations.

PGA Tour: Florida Swing, Part 2: Bay Hill: More Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Img_2012
;

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 2:21 pm

143/144 players in the Players are in the Top 400.

The only exception is Retief Goosen who qualified via by winning the Senior Players, he hasn't played a PGATour event in over a year.

5 players are not PGATour members.

Bernd Weisberger (26), Jazz Janewattananond (40), Victor Perez (41), EVR (42), and Christiaan Bezuidenhout (48)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 4:15 pm

I just found out a day or so ago that Bezuidenhout was a drugs cheat.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 4:20 pm

McLaren wrote:I just found out a day or so ago that Bezuidenhout was a drugs cheat.

Not really Mac, fake news. Unless you don't believe he was trying to counter probable side-effects of swallowing rat poison as a toddler.

PGA trying to pour cold water on the spectre of their Harding Park Championship being relocated to Florida - where there are also multiple virus cases.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 4:26 pm

I believe it about as much as I believe that Sharapova had an irregular heart rhythm.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 6:16 pm

Rory in his Presser:

"I like Big Putts and I cannot lie"

Sir Mix-a-Lot:
[img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X53ZSxkQ3Ho[/img]

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 6:21 pm

GPB wrote:Rory in his Presser:

"I like Big Putts and I cannot lie"

Sir Mix-a-Lot:
PGA Tour: Florida Swing, Part 2: Bay Hill: More Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X53ZSxkQ3Ho" />

I bet super doesn't like butts.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB on Tue 10 Mar 2020, 11:56 pm

robopz wrote:
GPB wrote:LPGA players looking for a place to play after Coronavirus cancelled their Asian Swing.

Pernilla Lindberg played in New Zealand a couple weeks ago.  She missed the cut badly.

Not doing badly

The only other name I recognize is Tucker Wadkins.  Lanny Wadkins son

With recent ET cancellations... After this week's Indian Open, the ET won't have another regular event for its rank and file until the end of April.   Events in black are cancellations.

PGA Tour: Florida Swing, Part 2: Bay Hill: More Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Img_2012
;

Indian Open might be in trouble too.

Pablo Larrazabal tweets wrote:Well... looks like Spaniards, french and German can’t fly to India... all the Visas are suspended so NO tournament next week for me. That means 7 weeks off from
@EuropeanTour
... thank you Coronavirus

and then there is this tweet from the Monday Qualifier dude. Players from the Euro Tour are looking for a place to play, so they might be traveling to the US to play Monday Qualifiers

https://twitter.com/acaseofthegolf1/status/1237384848618196992

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Wed 11 Mar 2020, 9:32 am

McLaren wrote:I just found out a day or so ago that Bezuidenhout was a drugs cheat.
Try not to be too ridiculous. It's nothing like Sharapova.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum