The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Golf Podcasts do you Listen to?

+7
Be_the_ball
GPB
I'm never wrong
beninho
super_realist
Plunky
McLaren
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Golf Podcasts do you Listen to? Empty What Golf Podcasts do you Listen to?

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Mar 2020, 12:39 pm

I used to listen to The Cut, Fried Egg golf and the McKeller golf podcasts. But the cut from the bbc has been cancelled and I feel like there is room for more golf podcasts in my life.

I sometimes listened to golf unfiltered podcast but not every week.

Anyway, just add recommendations below and I will check them out
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

What Golf Podcasts do you Listen to? Empty Re: What Golf Podcasts do you Listen to?

Post by Plunky Wed 11 Mar 2020, 12:45 pm

Really?? Mr. P and I love listening to the cut. Has it definitely been cancelled ? Any reason why ?

Plunky

Back to top Go down

What Golf Podcasts do you Listen to? Empty Re: What Golf Podcasts do you Listen to?

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Mar 2020, 12:49 pm

Plunky

Yes, apparently the bbc cancelled it because it wasn't listened to by the under 25's.

Andrew Cotter is starting a new podcast with Eddie Pepperell.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed 11 Mar 2020, 1:45 pm

Thanks -- we'll look out for that one. I though Andrew cotter and the bbc bloke made a good team but Andrew was the one who carried it for the most part. I liked the fact that they talked about all the tours, not just PGA and ET. It's because of them that we always wanted Bronson Burgoon and Nate Lashley to do well. I don't think I know any under 25's that have the attention span to listen to a podcast, they're all into tweeting/ instagram etc.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Mar 2020, 1:48 pm

Plunky wrote:Thanks -- we'll look out for that one.  I though Andrew cotter and the bbc bloke made a good team but Andrew was the one who carried it for the most part.  I liked the fact that they talked about all the tours,  not just PGA and ET.  It's because of them that we always wanted Bronson Burgoon and Nate Lashley to do well.  I don't think I know any under 25's that have the attention span to listen to a podcast, they're all into tweeting/ instagram etc.  

Of course under 25's wouldnt listen. They're too busy deplatforming people and being woke.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 11 Mar 2020, 8:56 pm

I only listen to No laying up. I enjoy it.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 11 Mar 2020, 9:46 pm

Plunky - I can only find it Here and they describe it as a pilot episode.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Mar 2020, 10:01 pm

Mygolfspy is occasionally worth a listen.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed 11 Mar 2020, 10:34 pm

Thanks -- I enjoyed that. There's something about Andrew Cotter's voice that I find very appealing !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 12 Mar 2020, 8:57 pm

Can you share some links

Several American Podcasts

No Laying Up (weekly recap of tournaments, plus some interviews)

https://player.fm/series/no-laying-up-golf-podcast

Perfect Number (Mostly a NERD podcast, discusses fantasy golf)

http://perfectnumberpodcast.libsyn.com/

Shotgun Start: Unsanitized golf takes, often silly, (3 days/wk)

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cDovL3Nob3RndW5zdGFydC5saWJzeW4uY29tL3Jzcw&ved=0CAAQ4aUDahcKEwjYhdbn6JXoAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAQ&hl=en

Golf Historians Podcast: Golf History

https://talkingolf.fireside.fm/episodes

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 08 Apr 2020, 8:28 pm

Hope everyone's keeping well.  Very Happy  OK

Good interview with Lee on this weeks Mckeller podcast with Lawrence and Huggy.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/54S8Eq1zG336DrG8T9a4Lm?si=83DbPHTSQICvyNAHO8y4og

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 08 Apr 2020, 9:51 pm

be the ball

Did you listen to Harrington on McKeller last week? It was less an interview and more a lecture from Paddy. Pretty interesting though.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Thu 09 Apr 2020, 5:48 am

Yeah Mac, I got a good laugh out of it, very refreshing and open conversation, Lee too. Hilarious both still have the hump about amateur committee decision making Laugh

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 15 May 2020, 7:55 pm

McKellar podcast, very good this week, Rory. last week very good also Pete Cowan, great coach.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 15 May 2020, 8:38 pm

Not really related to golf, but has anyone else seen those videos by Andrew Cotter about his dogs? Made me smile.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 15 May 2020, 9:37 pm

Loved them, although the third wasn't as funny as the first two. Also enjoyed some of the comments that were posted on utube along the lines of " you're really good, have you thought about sports presenting as a career ? ". But the dogs were the real stars.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 15 May 2020, 9:42 pm

Rory made some remarks about Trump. He gave an hour and a half interview, spoke about Trump for about 2 minutes and that's the story. I hope he doesn't get roasted for it.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 15 May 2020, 9:54 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:Rory made some remarks about Trump. He gave an hour and a half interview, spoke about Trump for about 2 minutes and that's the story. I hope he doesn't get roasted for it.

He just said what every normal person should be thinking/saying, so hope others stand up and support Rors if anyone has a go.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 15 May 2020, 10:19 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:Rory made some remarks about Trump. He gave an hour and a half interview, spoke about Trump for about 2 minutes and that's the story. I hope he doesn't get roasted for it.

He just said what every normal person should be thinking/saying, so hope others stand up and support Rors if anyone has a go.

True Kwini, we'll see...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 15 May 2020, 10:23 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

And the thing is in the last few years Rory has become one of the most interesting people in sport. In this podcast he was particularly insightful.

I think him playing with trump was inexcusable but he even managed to give as good a response as possible to that criticism.

It was interesting listening to how he is getting into course architecture as well. He raved about seminole.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 17 May 2020, 3:23 am

I can't understand why any player's politics would make a difference to anyone.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 17 May 2020, 7:57 am

GPB wrote:I can't understand why any player's politics would make a difference to anyone.

Because its hard to root for someone if you hold polar opposite views. Its probably why players keep things to themselves.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 17 May 2020, 10:49 am

Jordan apparently said "republicans also wear sneakers".

Plus is it politics or just stating the obvious to point out Trump being a arse hole?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 17 May 2020, 3:11 pm

beninho wrote:
GPB wrote:I can't understand why any player's politics would make a difference to anyone.

Because its hard to root for someone if you hold polar opposite views. Its probably why players keep things to themselves.

Are you friends with people who hold opposing political views to you?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 17 May 2020, 3:53 pm

Obviously. But I'm not friends with any high profile professional golfers.

Think, its pretty clear, we all make judgements on who we do or don't like by what they say or do based on our views of their views.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 17 May 2020, 4:51 pm

beninho wrote:Obviously. But I'm not friends with any high profile professional golfers.

Think, its pretty clear, we all make judgements on who we do or don't like by what they say or do based on our views of their views.

Indeed, i'd just prefer them to keep quiet, there's nothing worse than a musician or sportsperson trying to use their fame as a platform to espouse their views, especially as most of them are flat out embarrassing, cringeworthy and massively hypocritical.
Sportspeople aren't the worst offenders though, actors tend to be the worst.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 17 May 2020, 7:23 pm

True, well said. OK

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 17 May 2020, 8:55 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:

True, well said. OK

Surely it's not a matter of politics with Drumpf, it's more a question of what he thinks is in his best interest, sod everyone else.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 03 Jun 2020, 10:17 am

I listen to No Laying Up and David Feherty's podcast.
incontinentia
incontinentia

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 11 Jun 2020, 9:52 am

No laying up is great. I recently listened to a very interesting interview with Peter Kostis speaking about why he and Gary McCord were let go from CBS. Its on spotify, or if you dont have spotify you can listen here:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/no-laying-up-podcast/e/67440356?autoplay=true
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 17 Jun 2020, 6:57 pm

Good interview with Stuart Appleby this week on No Laying Up.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 17 Jul 2020, 11:45 am

incontinentia wrote:No laying up is great. I recently listened to a very interesting interview with Peter Kostis speaking about why he and Gary McCord were let go from CBS. Its on spotify, or if you dont have spotify you can listen here:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/no-laying-up-podcast/e/67440356?autoplay=true
Part 2 of the Kostis interview aired recently. Shame this is no longer a golf discussion forum as there are many interesting discussion points in both interviews.

https://podbay.fm/podcast/880837011/e/1594780380
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 19 Feb 2022, 9:45 am

Steve Williams is the subject of a new podcast called "Chasing Majors" by an Australian golf journalist. He'll be giving the skinny on what it was like to caddy for Woods for 12 years and all the anecdotes and tidbits that entails. I'm so excited about this!!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 19 Feb 2022, 11:28 am

Wow. Hopefully the crappy way Tiger has treated him means he might be willing to spill the beans.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 21 Feb 2022, 9:05 am

McLaren wrote:Wow. Hopefully the crappy way Tiger has treated him means he might be willing to spill the beans.
I dont think he'll give away anything too scandalous, its all very respectful so far.

Hughes Norton was on NLU recently talking about his time managing Woods and Norman, pretty interesting.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 21 Feb 2022, 12:35 pm

inco

Yeh I listened to the Norton podcast. He didn't hold back on his thoughts about Norman.

Would love to know what is up with Tiger totally cutting people out of his life. Many important figures in his history have just been discarded. Norton, Butch, Haney, his first Lawyer, first love, Stevie, and no doubt many more.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 21 Feb 2022, 1:57 pm

McLaren wrote:
Would love to know what is up with Tiger totally cutting people out of his life. Many important figures in his history have just been discarded. Norton, Butch, Haney, his first Lawyer, first love, Stevie, and no doubt many more.
I was wondering the very same thing. Its such a curious personality trait. Steve Williams was best man at Tiger's weddings ffs, and even he gets ghosted.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 21 Feb 2022, 4:13 pm

Whats a pod cast is it something to do with fishing or peas ?
Very good read Winning the open the caddies story by Norman Dabell each chapter a different year.We had bbc ian carter as speaker at one of the LRGU dinners and he was quite good but very keen on promoting his book which took the edge off a bit

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 21 Feb 2022, 4:21 pm

dynamark wrote:Whats a pod cast is it something to  do with fishing or peas ?
Very good read Winning the open the caddies story by Norman Dabell each chapter a different year.We had bbc ian carter as speaker at one of the LRGU dinners and he was quite good but very keen on promoting his book which took the edge off a bit
A podcast is a broadcast that was originally intended to be downloaded onto your i-pod.

Whats a read, something to do with putting?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Mon 21 Feb 2022, 4:32 pm

Podcast is basically a fancy name for recorded radio.

ralphjohn69

TM2K likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Feb 2022, 8:05 pm

incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:
I was wondering the very same thing. Its such a curious personality trait. Steve Williams was best man at Tiger's weddings ffs, and even he gets ghosted.

Botox Woods is like Mickelson, barely a brain cell in either of their heads.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 22 Feb 2022, 6:33 am

super_realist wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:

You can't genuinely believe that? Woods always struck me as highly intelligent
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Feb 2022, 7:39 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:

You have to be joking? He's an absolute man child like Prince Andrew.
You'd have to be monumentally stupid to think he could get away with all those affairs and for it not to come out and have you ever seen him interviewed?  He's too stupid to drive properly and hes too stupid to train in a way which doesnt prevent injury.
Hes totally incapable of any independent thought or spontaneity. Unless its a stage managed interview he's completely lost. Compare him to someone genuinely articulte and bright like Justin Rose, its night and day. To be fair though Woods is one among a sea of dreary and fairly stupid golfers.

He's also a massive narcissist. He really is like an adolescent in half a mans body.

There might be some intelligence in there, but its well hidden because hes never had to think for himself at any point in his life.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 22 Feb 2022, 8:15 am

I have heard of podcasts of course but didnt really understand where the name came from.All I need now is an I phone !

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 22 Feb 2022, 9:51 am

super_realist wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:

You have to be joking? He's an absolute man child like Prince Andrew.
You'd have to be monumentally stupid to think he could get away with all those affairs and for it not to come out and have you ever seen him interviewed?  He's too stupid to drive properly and hes too stupid  to train in a way which doesnt prevent injury.
Hes totally incapable of any independent thought or spontaneity. Unless its a stage managed interview he's completely lost. Compare him to someone genuinely articulte and bright like Justin Rose, its night and day. To be fair though Woods is one among a sea of dreary and fairly stupid golfers.

He's also a massive narcissist. He really is like an adolescent in half a mans body.

There might be some intelligence in there, but its well hidden because hes never had to think for himself at any point in his life.
He was sex-addicted, his risky behaviour in regard to the affairs was driven by that addiction. Many intelligent people are alcoholics, its not much different. Many intelligent people smoke, which is a pretty stupid thing to do given the known effects.

Woods hates the media ever since he was hung out to dry in his early days as a pro, I think it speaks to his intelligence that he has learned the lesson never to give them any ammunition. He's responsible for many very funny comments, mostly in private but they have been reported by fellow pros and colleagues. Mickelson is far more deserving of criticism in this regard, recent evidence just adds to the list of dumb things he has done/said through the years.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Feb 2022, 9:58 am

Many funny comments? Like what? Ive scarecely heard a more humourless, sullen, miserable and wooden "personality" than Woods.

As for sex addiction, now that is funny.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 22 Feb 2022, 10:28 am

Super

It is well reported that Tiger was very bright as a child and performed well academically in college. I agree that his behavior has been self destructive but that is rarely an intelligence issue. As inco points out there are other players you could level being an idiot at.

Also surprised you picked Rose as an example of an intelligent player. I have always thought he seemed a bit simple.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 22 Feb 2022, 10:29 am

super_realist wrote:Many funny comments? Like what? Ive scarecely heard a more humourless, sullen, miserable and wooden "personality" than Woods.

Once when Woods had been told that Tom Kite designed the greens at a certain course, T was heard to quip "Was that before or after he got his eyes fixed?"

You may have heard the Ryder Cup story where Woods and Zach Johnson were sharing a room. Woods, knowing Johnson was a devout Christian and family man, naughtily played a pornographic film on the TV as Zach was unpacking his suitcase. Woods acted deadpan, and Zach pretended not to notice as he unpacked over the loud moans and groans. A magnificent prank, perfectly executed.

This is just a small sample of Woods' comedic prowess.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Feb 2022, 10:31 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Many funny comments? Like what? Ive scarecely heard a more humourless, sullen, miserable and wooden "personality" than Woods.

Once when Woods had been told that Tom Kite designed the greens at a certain course, T was heard to quip "Was that before or after he got his eyes fixed?"

You may have heard the Ryder Cup story where Woods and Zach Johnson were sharing a room. Woods, knowing Johnson was a devout Christian and family man, naughtily played a pornographic film on the TV as Zach was unpacking his suitcase. Woods acted deadpan, and Zach pretended not to notice as he unpacked over the loud moans and groans. A magnificent prank, perfectly executed.

This is just a small sample of Woods' comedic prowess.
American comedy is a low bar

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Mon 28 Feb 2022, 8:49 pm

…and on the subject of golf podcasts, we enjoy “the thing about golf”.  Each podcast (usually about 45 mins or so) is an interview with someone who’s involved in golf, not necessarily a top player. John Huggan and an Australian whose name I’ve forgotten do the interviews ( one or the other). There’s a ton to choose from — off the top of my head we listened to Laura Davies, Adam Scott’s dad, Renton laidlaw, Robby macintyre, Marc leishman, Carrie Webb. Well worth a try.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next