The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

roberto carlos considered quitting russian side over racism

5 posters

Go down

roberto carlos considered quitting russian side over racism  Empty roberto carlos considered quitting russian side over racism

Post by Fernando Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:14 pm

Russia's football league is launching an investigation following an incident which left Roberto Carlos considering his future.

The Brazilian legend, who plays for Anzhi Makhachkala, was taunted by supporters for a second time in three months when a banana was thrown from the crowd during a league match against Krylya Sovetov.

Carlos left the field in protest and appeared visibly shaken by the incident as he took his place on the bench. Team-mates later said he had been in tears in the dressing room.

'Stop playing was what went through my mind, yes,' Carlos said. 'I have decided that I will stay, but if something like this happens again I will have to make a decision.

'You know when that sadness hits, that feeling of being powerless? I left there sad, hurt. So many kids there. That has to be banned from football.

'When I got to the locker rooms the guys hugged me and sang for me. It was a very interesting thing. The guys on the team really like me.'

Speaking immediately afterwards, the World Cup winner said: 'I'm outraged by the sickening behaviour of this fan, who, in fact, insulted not only me but all the players. I hope Russian federation, UEFA and FIFA will give an adequate evaluation to this disgusting incident.'

He said his decision to walk off had nothing to do with his side's 3-0 lead at the time.

'I did it deliberately because I have suffered a bitter disappointment and I didn't want to continue to play in the match,' he said. 'Believe me, I would have done it at any scoreline.'

The head of Russia's 2018 World Cup Organizing Committee, Alexei Sorokin, said that the issue is 'very difficult to control,' but that the Russian Football Union is preparing to enact an anti-racism campaign.

He denied Russia had deeply rooted issues with racism, insisting that a few isolated incidents did not constitute a trend.

'Yes, there are various outbreaks and incidents. But they do not represent the overall mood in our society,' he added.

In March, Russian champions Zenit St Petersburg were fined $10,000 (£6,250) after one of its fans offered a banana to Roberto Carlos at a pre-match ceremony.

'It's a pity,' he added. 'The majority of the people in the country treat players, including foreign ones, cordially and with respect. Unfortunately, there are also freaks, such as this one.'

He added that a senior Krylya club official came to the changing room to apologize.

Sergei Fursenko, president of the Russian Football Federation, told national newspaper Sport Express that his executive committee will discuss the incident.

'We will sort out the situation and seriously punish those guilty,' he was quoted as saying. 'We must fight racism in the stands decisively.'

The incident was also condemned by Anzhi coach Gadzhi Gadzhiyev.

He said: 'A banana thrown on the field left an impression as lingering as the joy of our victory. One cannot remain indifferent about a prank like this.'

Last year, Lokomotiv Moscow fans unfurled a banner showing a banana directed at Nigerian striker Peter Odemwingie, who went on to join West Bromwich Albion.

Russian officials attempted to claim the overtly racist banner reflected general discontent at the striker and wasn't a reference to his skin color.

it's an absolute joke there is no place in football for racism just imagine what's going to happen at the world cup in 2018 when the african's turn up?

source: daily mail
link : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2007665/Roberto-Carlos-considered-retiring-banana-thrown-crowd-Russia.html

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

roberto carlos considered quitting russian side over racism  Empty Re: roberto carlos considered quitting russian side over racism

Post by Derbyblue Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:26 pm

Surely the Russian FA have to sort this thing out, or the World Cup won't go very well for them.

Fair play to him for sticking through it, must be hard.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

roberto carlos considered quitting russian side over racism  Empty Re: roberto carlos considered quitting russian side over racism

Post by custart Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:41 pm

It is a disgrace. I'm surprised Eto'o decided to go there.

custart

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:36 am

£340k a week.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:44 am

User Name wrote:£340k a week.

Shocked

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Thu 25 Aug 2011, 7:07 am

Thats what made Eto'o's decision to go there a little easier.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down