The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh

+6
John Cregan
CorkGeordie
Thomond
Tayto
RebelBhoy
bluemoda
10 posters

Go down

Pairc Ui Chaoimh Empty Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Post by bluemoda Wed 29 Jun 2011, 1:45 pm

Took a walk around Blackrock & Pairc Ui Chaoimh last night and noted that the stadium is looking a bit rough. Anyone know when the redevelopment is due to commence?

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Pairc Ui Chaoimh Empty Re: Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Post by RebelBhoy Wed 29 Jun 2011, 2:40 pm

when Frank tells us he's ready to leave us the parting gift of Pairc Ui Frank.

a disgrace for the number one GAA county in the universe to have a stadium like that.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

In fairness Rebel, it's in a beautiful setting and it has massive potential. In spite of it's tumbledown and rustic feel, it's still my favourite stadiums.

Isn't Frank leaving in Sept. I though they recently set up a committee about his leavetaking. Or did I just make that up!

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:42 pm

One of the biggest shoitehole stadiums in the country.
A bloody embarassment to the Cork county board and the Cork supporters.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

When Ireland isn't bankrupt it might get done. Seriously it is a shocking stadium.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:39 pm

frank has millions under his matress.

the leaving'll be for him to run the construction project imo.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:40 pm

bluemoda wrote:In fairness Rebel, it's in a beautiful setting and it has massive potential. In spite of it's tumbledown and rustic feel, it's still my favourite stadiums.

Isn't Frank leaving in Sept. I though they recently set up a committee about his leavetaking. Or did I just make that up!

great setting, just a dump of a ground.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by CorkGeordie Wed 29 Jun 2011, 9:44 pm

It may not be the most modern of stadiums but I must admit I love it. I've been there both playing and watching for years and i'll be sad when it gets teared down.

The plans do look good though but there could be trouble with planning complaints.

Frank is going in September alright. The days of Cork players getting off from suspensions on technicalites will be gone unfortunately.

CorkGeordie

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm

How often would a 50,000 seater stadium in Cork, Limerick or Thurles be full??
Once every 10 years.......there is a case to be made that these stadia are complete "white elephants"??

In Limerick, you have Thomond Park and the Gaelic Grounds within half a mile of each other.......unsustainable.............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

Once every year I'd say....but we need somewhere to put Michael Jackson on his next tour.....shamow
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:52 am

I always enjoyed going there. Desperate walk on a hot day though after a few pints in the Imperial. In fairness it has been a dump for the past 20 years and it is hard to justify a new stadium at the moment. But maybe now is the best time to build one and the crowds will come back once the recession is over.

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:11 am

In fairness, I think there's a few GAA stadiums that can do with a refurbishment. I don't think a 60K seater in Cork will be full that often in football, they'll probably get much closer to capacity in the more competitive Munster hurling.

I don't think now is the right time to start work on it redtop, I've read last year that the whole project could cost up to 30 Million. It probably wouldn't be feasible or look good to fork out that kind of money in a recession like this one.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:29 am

Then again Warrior, post-recession the cost could double!

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:56 am

But atm during a time when the country has been bailed out by the EU/IMF and people are struggling, would it be a good thing for big money to be forked out for a sports stadium. Popular opinion may be to spend the money elsewhere, or not at all. On the plus side though it would provide jobs in constructing it, but this will only be short term.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:09 am

You would expect a county with the size and tradition of Cork to have at least one decent ground.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:24 am

You've obviously never heard of Turner's Cross,Dub Wink

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:33 am

They have done some good work on that place, look's well now with all the seat's.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu 30 Jun 2011, 1:38 pm

But does anyone know if the reconstruction is going ahead, if so, when.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu 30 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

Oh, on another point, haven't the Cork Clubs stated that the committe set up to find Frank's replacement, is outside their remit.

I feel another strike comming on.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 30 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

I'M GOING TO THE FOOTBALL QUARTER FINALS Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:03 pm

Cari wrote:I'M GOING TO THE FOOTBALL QUARTER FINALS Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Great - thumbsup

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:54 pm

Councillors may face legal action over GAA vote

By Eoin English

Friday, June 25, 2010

CONCERNS have been raised that some of Cork’s city councillors could face legal action following a controversial vote on the future of Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

Independent Cllr Chris O’Leary has asked city manager Joe Gavin to make a statement on the matter at next week’s city council meeting.

He has called on Mr Gavin to outline the legal implications of a council vote earlier this month to support contentious GAA plans for an ambitious€40 million revamp of the stadium.

A total of 17 councillors ignored Mr Gavin’s recommendation and the advice of senior planners in relation to certain aspects of the project and agreed to "facilitate in principle" plans to expand the stadium and develop a centre of excellence nearby.

The vote has paved the way for discussions on the sale to the GAA of almost seven acres of land around the stadium.

However, the site is part of a bigger land area acquired under compulsory purchase order (CPO) for the development of a large public park.

It will have to be rezoned, requiring a two-third majority vote by councillors, before the GAA plan can go-ahead.

But Mr O’Leary, who voted against the project, said because the land in question was acquired under the terms of a CPO, where Cork City Council identified the land-bank as crucial for the future development of the entire docklands project, this could have legal implications for the councillors who voted in favour of the project.

He has asked Mr Gavin for his opinion on whether the former occupants of the site could have a reasonable case in arguing that the terms of the CPO were not adhered to by the city.

He has also asked Mr Gavin to comment on whether stakeholders in the docklands have a case for arguing their land could be devalued by the lack of public open space as proposed in the docklands plan.

Mr O’Leary has also asked Mr Gavin to comment on whether the stakeholders face increased planning obstacles due to the reduced open amenity space should the sale of land proceed.

He has cited legal advice given to county councillors in Kerry in 2004.

In a written document, Dermot Flanagan SC said case law clearly states that councillors "are not entitled to disregard technical advice . . . from the executive and there must be technical advice in support of their resolution in circumstances where the executives’ advice is to the contrary".

He warned them that if an applicant or others suffered damage or injury as a result of deficiencies specified by council planners, the councillors could be sued personally for ignoring the advice and granting permission.

The issue is due to be discussed on Monday.

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Friday, June 25, 2010

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/councillors-may-face-legal-action-over-gaa-vote-123311.html#ixzz1QmMd3I2i
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Fri 01 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

Thanks for that. Not going to happen any time soon then.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down