The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antrim and The Ulster Hurling Championship

+6
patrick91
Kingshu
Gaelic-Warrior
Ar aghaidh le cheile
Cari
Hartley
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Antrim and The Ulster Hurling Championship - Page 2 Empty Antrim and The Ulster Hurling Championship

Post by Hartley Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Right - there was a time when the Ulster hurling final was the most exciting day ever in a year. I use to love it - we had a few good tussles with Down and Derry etc. and you knew winning it would give you a crack at a top team from 'the free state' as my mother would say down in Croke Park.

However, on Sunday we will win it for the 10th consecutive year. If we play bad and Armagh play great we'll win by 10 points. If we play good and Armagh play good we'll win by 20 points. If Armagh play bad and we play good then the Cork v Laois game may seem competitive by comparison.

The UHC is not linked into any of the Liam MacCarthy, Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard or Lory Meagher cups. We were in the Leinster Championship (beat Laois, lost to Wexford) and are progressing through the qualifiers (beat Westmeath, beat Carlow so far) and I think do we really need the UHC and does it need us?

Surely the UHC would be much more interesting if Antrim pulled out and let Down, Armagh, Derry, London etc. fight it out! It's just a pain in the neck for Antrim - we've outgrown it and our future lies in Leinster. I mean would anyone be interested in a Connacht hurling championship with Galway taking part? I actually think there should be a CHC without Galway - that would be interesting.

I was at the Westmeath game, I was at the Carlow game but I'm thinking maybe I'll just miss the Ulster hurling final on Sunday and watch Cork v Kerry football instead and save my money for Cliftonville v The New Saints ticket in the Europa League!!!

Hartley

Back to top Go down

Antrim and The Ulster Hurling Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: Antrim and The Ulster Hurling Championship

Post by RebelBhoy Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm

I felt dirty typing it.
but like you say, try anything.

I was at training last night & they were not sure whether their championship game next wednesday was on or off due to the football. that is shocking stuff. no reason for it other than neglect.

These lads dogging themselves 2/3 times a week for the love of the game getting disrespected because big ball rules & there ain't nothing they can do about it.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Antrim and The Ulster Hurling Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: Antrim and The Ulster Hurling Championship

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm

Are they dual players?

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:07 pm

No sir.

8 teams in Derry. there are a few dual clubs about the county though.
Last year Coleraine won the county football and were due to play us in the hurling semi. our lads lay idle from 11th august to the end of october waiting on them. a complete joke.

I am going to use this opportunity to brag about my feat last night. caught a puck out around midfield , spun and knocked it over the bar......it's a small pitch and training had ended, but I can't play.

I also took a joe deane like free from miles out and a silly angle on the big pitch....they'll be picking me yet!
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:19 pm

Are the 8 teams all senior grade?.

Was it a five a side pitch

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:24 pm

I think 7 are....not us.
a 3/4 pitch i'd say......I was inordinately happy with myself. I did drop the next ball..... I learned a lesson.

I'll never be any good, but I am getting closer to buying a pair of boots every day.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:44 pm

Derry have more senior hurling clubs than Down. We have only three as far as I know. They play in the Antrim league I am sure it predates the Carlow teams playing in Kilkenny and boy hasnt it done us a world of good.

I would recommend water boots"!

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:45 am

Our club plays in the reserve league and didn't get to play all their matches in the league at all as a couple of the sides couldn't field sides and it has been that way for a couple of years.

They have been reliant on playing friendlies against sides from Donegal to get any kind of sharpness. Training has been going ok but they are really behind the 8 ball before a ball is pucked.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:46 am

I did see that there is some sort of ulster Hurling league which seems to capture teams from Fermanagh, Tyrone, Armagh and even a team from Dundalk. Noy sure of the standard.

If the club is progressive then it might be an option or see about joining the Donegal league until the club reaches a senior standard

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hartley Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:29 pm

I'm all in favour of direct rule if it's from Dublin!

Hartley

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:09 pm

Out of interest, anyone know how many senior hurling clubs there are in Ulster by county, viz-a-viz senior football clubs.

Are there many/any intermediate hurling and junior teams? And what about under age.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2