2011 Le Tour De France - Follow all the Highs & Lows here.

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2011 Le Tour De France - Follow all the Highs & Lows here.

Post by The Loaded Dog on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:26 am

First topic message reminder :

Running from Saturday July 2nd to Sunday July 24th 2011, the 98th Tour de France will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3,430.5 kilometres.

These stages have the following profiles:
•10 flat stages,
•6 mountain stages and 4 summit finishes,
•3 medium mountain stages,
•1 individual time-trial stage (42.5 km).
•1 team time-trial stage (23 km).

Stage 21: Créteil - Paris Champs-Élysées 95 km

I hope Cadel Evans get his wish... and the sun is out today on the Champs-Élysées.

Current Overall Standings:

01: 141/Cadel EVANS/BMC/83h45'20''/0'00''

02: 011/Andy SCHLECK/LEO/83h46'54''/1'34''

03: 018/Frank SCHLECK/LEO/83h47'50''/2'30''

04: 181/Thomas VOECKLER/EUC/83h48'40''/3'20''

05: 001/Alberto CONTADOR/SBS/83h49'17''/3'57''

06: 021/Samuel SANCHEZ/EUS/83h50'15''/4'55''

07: 161/Damiano CUNEGO/LAM/83h51'25''/6'05''

08: 091/Ivan BASSO/LIQ/83h52'43''/7'23''

09: 052/Tom DANIELSON/GRM/83h53'35''/8'15''

10: 108/Jean-Christophe PERAUD/ALM/83h55'31''/10'11''

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 2:59 am; edited 28 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated)
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Re: 2011 Le Tour De France - Follow all the Highs & Lows here.

Post by dummy_half on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:07 pm

Snoopster

Re the 'Cav being towed by a car' suggestion, I think you mis-read what I meant, although re-reading my post, it is ambiguous - I almost put 'invisible car' rather than 'cars the commissaires aren't seeing', to make it clear that I don't think Cav is cheating and that Rojas is just being a whiny beeatch (which he apparently has some history of).

The problem for Gilbert winning the green jersey is that he simply isn't a strong enough sprinter to take significant points in a flat sprint, while he's still a bit too close in the GC (about 20 minutes down) to be allowed free rein on tomorrow's intermediate stage so can't get into the break (having to get away from Europcar, Leopard Trek and HTC ). Problem then is that Gap to Pinerolo is probably a bit hard for him to challenge (looks like a stage for the 2nd rank of climbers, with the main GC guys marking each other) and the other two alpine stages are monsters and will see the big guns really for it.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:30 pm

Thanks dummy_half.

I think you are saying that green is now for Cavendish to lose because of the position he and his team have created and that of his main rivals: (a) Gilbert can be kept at a relatively safe distance facing a dilemma of which tactics to adopt knowing that his sprinting is not good enough; (b) Rojas is too close to Cavendish in terms of the sort of rider he is to adopt a more attacking policy so that, in effect, he's just got to hang on in there near Cavendish and hope to get lucky.

Is that right?
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:49 pm

dummy_half wrote:Re the 'Cav being towed by a car' suggestion, I think you mis-read what I meant, although re-reading my post, it is ambiguous - I almost put 'invisible car' rather than 'cars the commissaires aren't seeing', to make it clear that I don't think Cav is cheating and that Rojas is just being a whiny beeatch (which he apparently has some history of).

No, you were being clear enough. I was agreeing with you, but didn't make that at all clear, and just adding the bit from Kelly as further proof that Rojas's claim was pretty dubious - As I said though, I think it isn't that much out there for a sprinter to be mouthing off, most of the top ones seem to have chips on their shoulders and huge egos that don't handle losses well... I figure it is what makes them crazy enough to get involved in the bunch sprints every day.

dummy_half wrote:The problem for Gilbert winning the green jersey is that he simply isn't a strong enough sprinter to take significant points in a flat sprint, while he's still a bit too close in the GC (about 20 minutes down) to be allowed free rein on tomorrow's intermediate stage so can't get into the break (having to get away from Europcar, Leopard Trek and HTC ). Problem then is that Gap to Pinerolo is probably a bit hard for him to challenge (looks like a stage for the 2nd rank of climbers, with the main GC guys marking each other) and the other two alpine stages are monsters and will see the big guns really for it.

I think he's also suffered for the fact he has to try to sprint in the intermediate sprints to limit his losses there but at the end he's not just trying to get ahead of the the sprinters who have gone for the intermediate sprints but also their teams who are looking to chase him down. I suspect his fustration at that is part of why he was just so peed off when he messed up that intermediate sprint the other day.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:58 pm

A bunch of other 'whiny' sprinters independently accused Cavendish and HTC of doing the exact same thing at Etna this year in the Giro.

They were also censured at ATOC a couple of years ago for it and a bunch more saw him do it again after being dropped on Willunga Hill in the TDU.

You'd think all these other sprinters (and commissaires) would get bored of throwing these accusations around time after time.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:42 pm

Some fun and games on the final climb today, with the GC riders finally having woken up to the fact that TV is not going to just hand them the jersey.

In the meantime, and some distance in front, the mighty Thor continues his challenge for the polka dot jersey and stage wins Very Happy

dj
With regards to Cav, I have no comment about the accusations in the Tour of California or TDU (indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if Cav and half the rest of the sprinters held on to the cars in these warm up races), but the Giro organisers said Cav rode up Etna correctly and the TdF commissaires (who aren't exactly known for their Cav Fanboyness) have said they had no issue with his riding on Sunday.

Also, Rojas claimed that Gilbert also complained to the commissaires about Cav being towed, but Phil Gil said this wasn't the case. Suggests it's (on this occasion) Rojas with the agenda.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:13 pm

A good day for Cavendish I'd say with his main competitors gaining negligible ground on him and not putting him under pressure to sprint at either the intermediate or the end stage.

Now there are 5 stages left to go - he must be favoured to pick up points in Paris (Win 45, IS 20), and the TT is unlikely to change matters dramatically (Win 20).

That leaves three stages and, realistically, I'd think that the main battlegrounds are the IS tomorrow and on Thursday which are after relatively gentle run-ins when there are up to 10 and 20 points at stake respectively - big points on the finish line must be out of reach to green jersey competitors.

Perhaps his real danger is missing the shut out on the really brutal high mountain/steep hill stages.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:11 pm

Stunning stage today - a good win from Thor, if not quite as dramatic as his last one.

Evans has really laid down a marker - no one could drop him on the climbs so far and he was able to ride away from Sanchez and Contador on the descent. A minor disaster for the Schlecks, who tried and failed to make a real break in the Pyrenees despite all their efforts and now dropped on the first climb in the Alps.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:08 pm

Great effort by Thor today - very good tactics on the run in to the finish for an impressive win - a great day for Norway (even if one of them is a couple generations removed?). Another exciting stage, and impressive work by Evans - the next one looks interesting!!
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:07 pm

Evans must have taken his brain out to descend like that on wet/dry roads - Samuel Sanchez is usually considered the best descender of the GC riders, but was distanced.

The Schleck's had a shocker, particularly Andy, who really showed a weakness on the descent. Must really be kicking himself for not exploiting Contador's (relative) weakness last week.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 3:22 pm

I think he was trying to put the pain and misery of that descent last year behind him... I heard him mention something about that.

But yeah, it looked pretty reckless yesterday on those wet dodgy roads.
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:33 am

Another great stage yesterday - again the medium mountain stage providing more action than the high mountains have to date. I have a bit of sympathy for Voeckler, as he lost time by trying to be aggressive on the descent, whereas if he'd just sat on Cadel's wheel (for example) he'd have lost nothing but also wouldn't have had the chance to gain anything.

Another great ride from a tough Norwegian to take the stage - only slight surprise is that Thor wasn't challenging this time as well.

Oh, and today's stage is an absolute brute - I can't recall a tougher one in terms of absolute heights. The best comment I've seen was someone making reference to the Izoard (by reputation one of the really hard passes, and being 2100m+) being the smallest climb of the day. Not something that has happened before or will happen again in the near future I suspect.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:06 am

loved the stage yesterday, just real excitement. Major trepidition on todays stage, 3 monster HC climbs, think it might be just a bit too much for Tommy Voekler but I hope I'm wrong.

And with 3 tough descents as well....lots of opportunities to lose/make time there today. It'll be interesting to say the least!

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:18 am

RD
Only two descents - it's the first ever summit finish on the Galibier (at least if the snow has held off).

You're right though, this is the stage that the real superstar climbers will be looking to break Voeckler - it's the sort of stage where even if you try but are on a poor day you could lose 10-15 minutes. The climbs are just so long that once you run out of energy you're doomed.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:22 am

Doh right you are, forgot that it was a summit finish.

Yeah I think Voekler said yesterday that there's a huge difference with him sticking with the 'favourites' over a 6km climb and the climbs of today that might be more like 35km - a huge ask for anyone.

I expect Contador and Evans to do well today. I've not really been impressed with the Shlecks this year, especially Andy mentioning he doesn't feel his best in the cold. Considering the weather out there, I can't see him enjoying today very much!

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

RD
I have a sneaky feeling that Basso might have a good day - he's better suited to these long climbs where he can just grind out a high tempo and ride others off his wheel. Not sure what his record is like for riding in bad weather, but the Giro usually encounters some and he's been successful there.

Cadel could be a good call too - has done well in poor weather before (giro Strada Bianchi stage ?last year?). Again, maybe not the most explosive cimber but can maintain a tempo and can go very deep into his reserves, and as he showed a couple of days ago, not lacking bravery or talent on the downhill sections.

I wonder if someone from a bit further down the GC (e.g Vanendert - would also help if he's seriously targeting the KoM) might go for an epic break early in the stage and hope that the GC guys mis-calculate, letting him gain a stack of time. Virenque used to do that sort of thing quite often, although it didn't always work too well in the end.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:34 am

Basso, I always seem to forget about him, he just always seems to slip under my radar. He needs to make up time today as well so he could be a good shout.

I think if there is a breakaway it will only last to the 2nd climb, can't see the GC contenders let anyone get away too much, be very interesting if someone does try it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:50 am

Really enjoyed yesterday, another good one for the Norwegians, but can't help feeling some sympathy for the French who have yet to win a stage (thought for a while Chavanel might have done it yesterday). Interesting that the descenders who took the most risks didn't seem to profit - Voekler and Hivert in particular might have done better to just tuck in with the rest? Wonder who owns that car park - lucky the gate was open! Seems a bit unfair that Contador's master class (with Saanchez), which was impressive to watch, didn't really gain either of them anything over most contenders

Today looks a real monster - I'm intrigued to see what the weather is actually like given the pictures yesterday from French TV; even if they clear the worst off it will still be an epic.
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:39 am

Yes, I was wondering who owned that carpark too. Quite a popular place... it may be worth setting up a table and chair next time. (out of the line of travel of course)

I really enjoyed watching the treacherous narrow downhill runs yesterday. I couldn't believe how that group caught up with the two Spaniards at the end there... I couldn't see anyone behind them for quite a distance in the last couple of kms.

I'm still worried about Contador being 'within reach' of the others with the Stage today. It will be well be suited for a climber like Basso, Sanchez and Vanendert today or a Frenchman (Roy, Chavanel or Sandy Casar). I just hope Evans can react to the inevitable breakaways - there should be plenty today!

Surely Tommy can't hold on to the MJ after today? This Tour has been an intriguing one so far but I'm ready for anything now after what we've seen.
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 12:05 pm

I'm inclined to think the race is now Evans' to lose (hope that doesn't hex him!)
He looks very strong and alert this year and after his time gain on that descent the other day he is in a pretty good position against the other major contenders.
My original tip , Andy Schleck, may have lost his chance when he lost all that time 0n stage 16- apparently spooked by the descent? (Can't say I blame him , I reckon they're all mad racing down those roads!)
If things stay as they are Evans will surely win on the TT - of course they won't, attacks coming from everywhere for the next two days, but can anyone take enough time out of Evans to stay ahead of him on Saturday?
The one who just might is ... Contador .

Should be a fascinating couple of days.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:59 pm

Hi all,

Just returned from 2 weeks out there (did the two Etapes). The general feeling we got-from fellow travellers and the locals-is that there is tremendous goodwill towards Voeckler and he might, might just pull it off; he is inspired, his team is inspired and helping him with growing confidence. But I worry at his losses yesterday-the inevitable coming?

The Schlecks benefitted from the (unfair?) penalisation of Contador very early on but seem to have blown it by their obsession with him, and we are now into the familiar whinging from the younger one.

Contador-well, what can you say? He's a fighter, never whinges, and needs to attack all through these Alpine stages. With a fantastic TT (which he's capable of) he might just, just do it but it's so, so close.

Evans? After Voeckler, he's the one I'd like to see win it (anyone but the Schlecks!). He's battled so much over the years, often against himself but seems to have conquered his demons at last. Bless him.

Sanchez? Can't quite see it.

Should be a fantastic last four days in this greatest of sports.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:18 pm

Glad you had a good time there, Azabache.

Andy Schleck has made a break but the pain must be unimaginable. Can the lead group grind down some time?... about 3'30" at 6.5km to go.
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

My big mouth!

I can't access (at work) the BBC anymore so am ignorant today until I get home or get the result up before I leave.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:29 pm

They're closing in on him slowly but he should get there. 2.8km, 3'06"
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:32 pm

Schleck F, Basso, Evans, Voekler chasing... Sammy Sanchez has dropped back.

Contador is struggling too now. Looks gone.
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:38 pm

2'35" or more for Andy Schleck to win MJ... he's just over the finish line.
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:40 pm

2'23"... Tommy keeps it!
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

I wonder how they'll fare tomorrow?

Huge effort from Andy Schleck but how will his legs feel tomorrow? Then again, the other main contenders spent a lot of energy too. Contador looks shot.

So GC after Etape 18:

T. Voeckler 79h34'06"
A. Schleck 15"
F. Schleck 1'08"
C. Evans 1'12"
D. Cunego 3'46"
I. Basso 3'46"
A. Contador 4'44"
S. Sanchez 5'20"
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

Well, a couple of things to say:

1 - You can take back many of the criticisms of Andy Schleck. Took the initiative on the Izoard and was 2 minutes ahead at the summit, extended to over 4 minutes by the lower slopes of the Galibier (including a very good descent) before hanging on brilliantly on the upper slopes. Struggled over the last km and lost about 30s on the chase group.

2 - Great effort from TV Tommy. You could see the pain on his face as he fought for every second at the end, and held on to the jersey by 15 seconds.

3 - Pierre Rolland: Where has he come from? Even managed to lead the chase group for a couple of hundred metres in the last km.

4 - Evans. Was the only one prepared to really drive on from the lead bunch. Gained a few seconds on Voeckler, but lost a couple to Frank Schleck

Contador is gone, as is Sanchez. The big question though is who will have anything left for tomorrow? Could be advantage to Frank, who only had to follow wheels all day.

Oh, and has there ever been a stage where 2 brothers have finished first and second?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm

Yeah, dummy_half. It could well finish with the brothers 1-2 in Paris.
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:22 pm

Let's for the sake of argument say that tomorrow does not cause any change in the GC, and we go to the TT with the current gaps:
T. Voeckler 79h34'06"
A. Schleck 15"
F. Schleck 1'08"
C. Evans 1'12"

I think we can discount the others unless they gain time back tomorrow. Who is favourite to come out on top after a lumpy 41km time trial, with the race at stake?
Cadel is by reputation the best TT rider in the top 4, but Andy showed last year that he can put in a decent time in the late race test (pretty much equalled Contador), so a 1 minute advantage might make it very close. Voeckler has never shown that well in an ITT, but then he's never been racing for anything, and anyway we've been saying for the last week that he can't hold on yet he's still at the top of the list.
The one who really needs time is Frank Schleck - only 1 time in 100 will he finish within 4s of Evans in a long TT.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:33 pm

looks like the gruppeto missed the cut : 40 racers could get disqualified if it gets confirmed including cavendish... Rojas dream might become true. to be continued...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by The Loaded Dog on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

That would be big news. Feel sorry for Cavendish and the other riders in the grupetto but it seems some of the French press were correct in saying that he wouldn't finish...about a week ago.
The Loaded Dog
TLD
TLD

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:48 pm

dont think it will happen though: dont remember ever witnessing 25% of the peloton wiped out like that

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:07 pm

Whocares

Cyclingnews are not listing anyone as hors depart. And it wasn't 40 riders - the rider in 81st is the first listed at 35'40", with the rest of the 168 riders that are still going being on the same time. Rojas was in a group ahead at 31 minutes.

Even if they were outside the official cut off, no way will the commissaires eliminate that many riders (including Gilbert, Hushovd, Eddie Boss etc)

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:16 pm

Oh, and the Commissaires have penalised all those who missed the time cut 20 points, so Rojas gained by being the only one of the green jersey competitors to be inside the official limit.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:19 pm

dummy_half

indeed 88 racers were in this situation : because the gruppeto was over 20% of the peloton, no-one got eliminated.
however cavendish loses 20 points in the green jersey table so has 15 ahead of rojas. would have to be careful tomorrow: short mountain stages means less delays allowed and looking at the shape of it and the current standings, there will be some damages...

if you are bothered to read french, here is the news :

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2011/20110721_190018_cavendish-en-sursis.html

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 7:54 pm

Whoever was driving that bus was pretty rubbish.

HTC should have a designated bus driver to be honest. When the gruppetto is that big, I doubt guys like Cancellara will be that bothered about taking the responsibility.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 9:48 am

Cavendish has another worrying day ahead of him. He's either got to make the cut-off or hope that if he does not he finds himself again in a big enough grupetto outside the limit (i.e. 40 riders or so) to be shown mercy. Since today's is a short stage with GC on the line it's likely to be fast. If Cav needs mercy and is shown it again he'll be docked another 20 points - that is likely to leave him 5 points behind Rojas who seems to be solid in the mountains. Then Cavendish would need to make sure he's within the ITT limit tomorrow (25% of the winner) and the onus would be on him to win green back in Paris.

This is (edit: turning into the best end of a) tour I can remember - all the big prizes are still up for grabs with 3 stages to go. Only KoM will certainly be decided today, otherwise GC will probably wait until tomorrow (barring Evans surprising today with a blow-up or a bold grab for yellow), and Green may go to the Champs Elysees.

The details of the rules for Cavendish are as follows:

Article 22

(http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/COURSE/docs/reglement.pdf)

Stage 18 is coefficient 4:

Coefficient 4 (very difficult short stages)

The permitted finishing time is calculated
according to the winner’s finishing time plus:
• 9% if the average speed is less than or
equal to 30 km/h
• 10% between 30 km/h & 31 km/h;
• 11% between 31 km/h & 32 km/h;
• 12% between 32 km/h & 33 km/h;
• 13% between 33 km/h & 34 km/h;
• 14% between 34 km/h & 35 km/h;
• 15% between 35 km/h & 36 km/h;
• 16% between 36 km/h & 37 km/h;
• 17% between 37 km/h & 38 km/h;
• 18% between 38 km/h & 39 km/h;
• 19% between 39 km/h & 40 km/h;
• 20% over 40 km/h

……………….

If the percentage
of eliminated riders rises above
20% of starters in the stage, permitted finishing
times may be increased upon the
decision of the Stewards’ Committee, with
the agreement of the race management.
It is understood that the riders who finish
within the new permitted times will qualify
for following stages, without a precedent
being set for the rest of the race.

……………….

In the event that competitors who have
finished after the cut-off time are reinstated
by the race officials’ committee, the
equivalent number of the points assigned
to the winner of the stage concerned will
be removed from the reinstated competitors’
scores in the general individual
points classification, even if their number
of points in this classification becomes negative
as a result.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:46 am

Quite the man sausage up there by the bus - I suppose to be fair it can't have been an easy stage with the excellent early breack by Schleck that must have kept the speed up.

On Schleck, for that long range attack he deserves to win the Tour - wonderful to see one of the contenders actually go out there and take a huge risk rather than just try to win it by stealing seconds here and there. He must be almost on empty for today though... but then so are all his rivals judging by the way they finished - Frank of course being an exception who looked like he had an easy ride. Long range attack from Frank today, with Andy looking to just get towed to the end by the other GC contenders?

Very impressed with Pierre Rolland - don't know what his TT is like but if he's half way decent, or can learn to be, then he's going to be up there in the Tour for years to come (will he work for Tommy next year or the other way around?). France might finally have a GC contender again... two of them in fact.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:00 am

Yes, Andy has surprised us. Did he receive a severe talking-to from the DS or Frank? Will he have knackered himself for today? Past evidence suggests not. All credit to him for a long attack, it serves some of the others right for their constant looking at each other.

I feel a little sorry for Contador. His team is weaker than the Schlecks', he had bad luck very early on, and they have squeezed him ever since. And supposedly this knee injury. But maybe the main reason is the curse of the Giro.

If we assume that timings will be neutralised today, then it's all on the TT.

I'll be glad in a way when it's all over: this is too much stress for 3 weeks!

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

In your list of 5 excuses why Contador has lost this year, you missed out probably the most important one.

Not enough 'tainted meat' this year.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

hey snoopster

yes Pierre Rolland has been carrying the french expectation for being the next Bernard Hinault for a while and hasnt done him any good. he's been fantastic so far in the tour but think all europcar team has been running at 150% to keep TV yellow jersey alive; dont think he would be a contender for a tour, he hasnt got any track record on TT to start with.
I reckon EDVALD BOASSON HAGEN is the one to watch in the future...
today's likely scenario should be an early attack (galibier) of franck schleck to get rid of Evans (if it doesnt work his brother shall attack later) or some Contador action if he finds his legs...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

whocares wrote:hey snoopster

yes Pierre Rolland has been carrying the french expectation for being the next Bernard Hinault for a while and hasnt done him any good. he's been fantastic so far in the tour but think all europcar team has been running at 150% to keep TV yellow jersey alive; dont think he would be a contender for a tour, he hasnt got any track record on TT to start with.
I reckon EDVALD BOASSON HAGEN is the one to watch in the future...

Thanks for that, interesting. Good point about the extra effort having the yellow jersey has brought out, it might be making him look better than he is normally - though it could be he'll learn from this Tour, perhaps, and be a better rider for having the confidence he can survive with the best riders of the Tour in the mountains. His TT is not going to help though, if he's got nothing to build on.
I agree with you about Boasson Hagen, he's a really classy rider who looks like he should be at the top of cycling for a long time.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

dj:

He's not superhuman, neither was Merckx nor Hinault...nor Indurain.
Only L*nc* Armstr*ng!

When wrong-doing is PROVED I'll be up there to admit it and censure him.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 5:24 pm

Not sure I believe that. You seem to be a supporter of doping in cycling.

Are you suggesting that Lance was a better rider than Merckx? Was that some sort of a joke that went over my head?

I think it's great. Contador struggling like a clean rider. Makes for a better race all round.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 5:54 pm

well,well ... I would make a very bad pundit !
all my prediction went wrong : frank schleck was silent, evans managed to follow the other leaders and Rolland is now the first frenchman since Hinault to win at the alpe d'huez Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 6:11 pm

Azabache wrote:dj:

When wrong-doing is PROVED I'll be up there to admit it and censure him.

I quite agree with the "innocent until proven guilty" approach, but in this case the original test was positive, wasn't it; the issue is whether it was explainable to the CAS. Surely better if the whole saga had been laid to rest before the TdF? This is the taint that drug use leaves on sports, especially those that produce performance beyond what even normally fit athletes can reasonably achieve. I personally love x-country skiing and biathlon, but there are frequent rumours about drug use and on at least one occasion athletes have been ruled out without any evidence at all! I'd like to believe that my personal heroes are clean - I hope I'm not being naive!!
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleausardv2 on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 8:13 pm

Meanwhile - another really enjoyable day (from the safety of a chair in front of the TV). Although I'm not a fan of the Schlecks, you have to admire their tactics and the sheer drive that they showed both yesterday and today, although I do think they had a cheek asking Cadel Evans to help out! Cadel also hugely impressive on both days - massive effort and pretty much solo. I'm glad that France eventually won a stage - and what a stage for Rolland to win - but I'm a little sad that Voekler's fairy tale has come to an end? All to play for tomorrow - most people seem to feel that Cadel can pull back in the time trial, but I seem to recall from last year that Andy S is no slouch and may spring another surprise. An exciting end to the tour. Incidentally - prize for the best way of dealing with a plonker spectator must surely go to Alberto Contador - a real Prescott moment!
Bleausardv2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:12 pm

Say if there is a lead of less than 5 seconds after tomorrow - do you think they'd break 'tradition' and race on the cobbles?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:05 pm

Blea

In a way I'm glad Voeckler's spell in yellow ended today in the manner it did - still fighting all the way to the line and wearing the jersey with pride and a great deal of merit. Better to lose it this way than the 'death of a thousand cuts' it would have been as he gradually lost time in the TT.

Great ride by Rolland, but would he not have been more use to the team trying to help Tommy? Perhaps Voeckler knew he was out of it fairly early in the stage, so gave his main helper a free hand.

Not sure I'd praise Frank Schleck's efforts over the last couple of days - obviously Andy has been out there making the race, but Frank has just followed wheels.

Just under a minute gap between Andy and Cadel for the TT - 41km and a bit lumpy. Given how much energy both have used in the last couple of days, it's really difficult to call. Sneaky feeling that it might just be a big enough gap for Andy to hold on.

So having said a few days ago that while it had been a Tour of great stages, it had been a disappointment on the stages where the GC men should be fighting it out, the last two days (and the 2 mid mountain stages preceding them) have entirely changed that, and we go into the final TT with the yellow jersey still very much in the balance.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum