So what's the problem with those daffodil hats?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So what's the problem with those daffodil hats? Empty So what's the problem with those daffodil hats?

Post by PerryGee on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:11 am

I just don’t really get it. I have heard a lot of criticism that people who go out of their way to make an effort, dress up, wear silly hats and face paint are somehow contemptible and beneath those who won’t actually stick their hand in their pocket and stump up the cash for a ticket.

I’ve heard all the reasons like ‘They’re not real fans’ or ‘They price out the genuine supporters’ but I’m sorry it just doesn’t wash. To anybody who has ever played the game, surely you’d much rather run on in front of people who are clearly there for a good time, to enjoy themselves and be proud about it. I have a sneaky suspicion that those who denigrate and put these people down are just killjoys. Would you really prefer to stand in a crowd sipping port with the tweed jacket brigade that you equally condemn for the polar opposite reason?

Don’t get me wrong, the furthest I have gone is to wave full-sized Union Jacks at Lions games and I'm not really one for fancy dress or make-up (when watching a match) but I just don’t understand the scorn levelled at those who are clearly there for a good time. I understand not wanting to sit next to one of those vuvuzelas or a drunken yobbo, but surely having a few drinks and enjoying yourself is exactly what being a fan/supporter is about.

PerryGee

Back to top Go down

So what's the problem with those daffodil hats? Empty Re: So what's the problem with those daffodil hats?

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

Speaking for myself, the problem isn't with people dressing up and wanting to have a good time (just look at the Dragon's 70's days and the Faletau wigs, Scarlets Grow a Grav, or the Blues Ladies nights) but the fact that the majority of the daffodil wearing crowd aren't interested in the game, have no idea of the rules, spend most of the time chatting or going to the bar, or screaming mindlessly all game.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

So what's the problem with those daffodil hats? Empty Re: So what's the problem with those daffodil hats?

Post by TheGreyGhost on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Ah, you'd love being in the crowd at a Blues v Counties game at Eden Park then. Nothing but the observance of the events with appropriate hushed reverence, almost like being in the crucible for a good snooker final.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

Polite, restrained applause at appropriate moments GG?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm

No one's suggesting the crowd should be mute, but it would good if those who'd bought tickets were there to watch the rugby.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:41 pm

They're used to represent people who are there for the event rather than the game. No different to the corporate seats (and you can include pink sparkly cowboy hats). Some are interested in the game some aren't. But it's what they symbolise people don't like.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

Ask them to name the team that has run out to play........'Errrr...well thats shane and errrr.....oh wheres our gav?
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by PerryGee on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:35 pm

So what if they can't name the team? What does that even prove? Do you need to pass some kind of test to show your support? Is it some form of jealousy or snobbery?
Give me a break. Rugby is supposed to be inclusive, all shapes, all sizes, all nationalities and incomes and that should go double for the fans.

PerryGee

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Polite, restrained applause at appropriate moments GG?

When I was in New Zealand last year there was plenty of fancy dress at the Super Rugby Matches I saw. Hurricanes beating the Reds and the all Kiwi Blues vs Cheifs.

Great atmosphere.

Re the Welsh dressing up, well it has been happening for thirty years, it is tradition. Twelve foot high leeks and daffodils were a regular at the Arms Park, or where ever we travelled.

It is part of rugby and it should stay. Adds great humour to the occasion.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

Really don't understand why people feel the need to wear fancy dress to a rugby match at all. If it adds to their enjoyment good for them but cowboy hats, facepainting, daffodils, dressing up like St George, half time shows all do nothing for me because the rugby is always enough entertainment for me and it's the reason I go to games.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:42 pm

Rugby is all inclusive but it's not a halloween competition. Why the need to dress up? Is it for the attention?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

Gets you on the 'telly' so you can show your mates on iplayer later. It would appear that getting on the telly is the sole ambition of most of the kids in my nephew's year at school.

Each to their own...
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rakish Brigand on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:02 pm

I loathe fancy dress as much as I do camping. But I can appreciate that other people find something amusing in it. Each to their own.

Mind you, dressing your baby up as an elf and printing them on Christmas cards should be banned!

The Rakish Brigand

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

PerryGee wrote:So what if they can't name the team? What does that even prove? Do you need to pass some kind of test to show your support? Is it some form of jealousy or snobbery?
Give me a break. Rugby is supposed to be inclusive, all shapes, all sizes, all nationalities and incomes and that should go double for the fans.

But the problem is that some aren't even bothered with the match being played in front of them. That's a waste of a ticket when there are thousands of rugby fans - note, rugby fans - who would love to have had their ticket.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoped on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

Some people go with friends and it becomes more than a game of rugby, it becomes a big day out with everyone having fun. I understand why some find it annoying but if it irritates them so much why not save some money and get a SkySports package, watch from home and stop trying to drag others down.

Scoped

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

Whenever you get 40,000 people in the same place you'll get a subset of people who are just there for the atmosphere or the day out. I think as long as people are turning up, what does it really matter?

Put the anorak back in the cupboard and relax.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

The Rakish Brigand wrote:Mind you, dressing your baby up as an elf and printing them on Christmas cards should be banned!

What kind of monster would do such a thing? Shocked
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rakish Brigand on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

Well to get this back on topic I guess the kind of person who feels the need to dress up as a giant daffodil in public.

They are, of course, free to dress up in whatever flora or fauna they fancy in private.

The Rakish Brigand

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

It's is unique to England and Wales games really. Don't really see it so much at France, Ireland and Scotland games.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:24 pm

Yeah right, the amount of those ridiculous leprechaun hats i've seen at Ireland internationals! Unless that is normal dress over there, if so i apologise profusely!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

Can't say I've seen any however wearing a green hat(?) isn't quite as bad as dressing head to toe as a daffodil is it? I presume those that were wearing the hats you refer to were doing so because they were green and in doing so they were supporting their team rather than clowning around. I can't recall anyone dressing as a shamrock for example.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:02 pm

Don't mind the Daff hats too much but those BL**DY DAMN AIR HORNS. Now they should be banned.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:05 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
The Rakish Brigand wrote:Mind you, dressing your baby up as an elf and printing them on Christmas cards should be banned!

What kind of monster would do such a thing? Shocked

John Inverdale's mother prior to England v Ireland grandslam match?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:07 pm

My uncle was a 6'5" Leek when he went to a game in Italy, he was in the Western Mail a few years ago.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

AlynDavies wrote:My uncle was a 6'5" Leek

That's in iambic pentameter! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:40 pm

I personally don't have a problem with the dressing up - the problem I have is with the effect on the atmosphere of a game if the stadium is filled with people who are there for the day out or a 'jolly' and aren't supporting the team merely getting drunk and cheering mindlessly (and I have seen people dressed up, 4 pints in a carrier, cheering when the opposition make a break or a foul coz they don't know whats going on).

I guess I just want to see passion and passionate fans like you do down places like the Dave, and it is nice to see knowledgable fans who understand the game, but not essential - but I feel being passionate is a must.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:47 pm

I love the daffodil hats myself, or even the dragon hats. Nothing wrong with it. Just because people wear them doesn't mean they're not also a fan of rugby. That's a pretty big gernarlisation to make.

I get annoyed when I've gone to the stadium and there are a bunch of people in front of me that are continuously talking about something else or getting up all the time to get food/drinks. They must only actually see about 20mins of the match itself. That irritates me because I know there are so many more people who would have really loved to have gone there to watch the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 4:02 pm

The ones I find amusing are the flat caps with ginger hair comming out of the side's up in Scotland, also when I was up there last their was a gang of blokes wareing those all in one lycra things that cover your whole body and face, I thought they were quite funny. On a personal note, if you go to Italy please take my advice and do not try and turn your hotel bed sheets into a toga and go to the game, although it might look nice and sunny on the telly, Febuary in Rome is not as warm as you might think !!!! I know as I found out when sobering up in the stadium.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 4:08 pm

I don't mind the daffodil or Dragon hats. They are related to Wales. I don't like the pink Cowboy hats, but there you go. Personally I'd favour it if everybody in the stadium wore red so the ground would look good as a sea of red, but again that's personal preference.

With regards to the stadium, well the anthem is always great. After that, the atmosphere goes to pot. It's been like that for a while though. It was only two years ago or so that they tried having the big screens flash up Wales Wales to try encourage the supporters.

Those Lycra things are called morph suits and are popping up everywhere now.

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 4:23 pm

people stereotype these people, i mean yes maybe SOME dont know the full rules but then again people who dont always wear these Costumes dont get it, i mean for example my mum has watched me play rugby since the age of 7 but she doesnt understand all the rules and things yet she supports wales and wants them to win, and when she doesnt understand somehting she will ask me, likewise my old welsh teacher (who is friends with Hook parents) goes to the matches in the sparkly cowboy hats and everything but she is an avid welsh fans and probably could teach some of the players the rules!

basically whenever i have been there the fans no matter what they have been wearing have been watching the games not talking amongst themselves about "gavs tan" or admiring mike phillips, they may understand the rules fully but they attempt and they support the welsh team.

DONT BE STEREOTYPICAL!!!

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 4:25 pm

Surely the only reason you go to a game is for the atmosphere? You have a poorer veiw of the game than on TV (although it does depend on who's doing the camera work). You have good access to the ref's mike, etc. If you're only going to see the game you would be better watching at home.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 4:28 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Yeah right, the amount of those ridiculous leprechaun hats i've seen at Ireland internationals! Unless that is normal dress over there, if so i apologise profusely!

No they were actually leprechauns, there's loads of them over here but they're pretty hard to catch.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 4:29 pm

You get replays at home watching on tele as well. There's also not a 20 minute queue at your fridge to get a beer.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 4:39 pm

roddersm wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Yeah right, the amount of those ridiculous leprechaun hats i've seen at Ireland internationals! Unless that is normal dress over there, if so i apologise profusely!

No they were actually leprechauns, there's loads of them over here but they're pretty hard to catch.

In that case sir, i apologise and will take myself outside for a damn good thrashing!Very Happy
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 5:15 pm

I don't have a problem with anyone at a stadium to watch a game.

I do have a problem with people leaving 20 minutes before the end of a match to 'beat the traffic'.

I have a problem with people swanning in 10 minutes into a game or 10 minutes into the second half, shuffling by 20 people to get to their seat, stopping halfway to have a conversation with someone and being in the way of 60-70 people who can't see the game because of it.

I have come to accept that some people might not really be able to see the game due to poor sight! They go to the game, then shout out a random forward name or backs name every 20-30 seconds to egg on their team. Used to annoy me but now it has a bit of charm to it. Like the old fella who is always half a second behind the crowd when singing a chant.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:Whenever you get 40,000 people in the same place you'll get a subset of people who are just there for the atmosphere or the day out. I think as long as people are turning up, what does it really matter?

Put the anorak back in the cupboard and relax.

clap
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 7:59 pm

Rugbydreamer and the Bandwagon - I agree with both of but think people are using the daffodil hats/sparkly cowboy hats to identify people who don't pay attention to the game, turn up 10 mins late leave 20 mins early, and chat to themselves about Henson throughout the game.
Rather than saying all people wearing hats aren't rugby fans or that only hat wearers are like the above.

it's just you get lots of people who'd never be seen dead at a rugby game normally coming out on a jolly who couldn't give a toss about the team or the game and they are quite often dressed up pretty silly.

Plus Welshy - I'd love to get your seat in the Millennium Stadium as whereever I've sat there's been people only catching 20 mins of the game as they turn up late, talk amongst themselves and spend at least 40 mins in queues for pints. I've also sat by a English guy with no interest in watching Wales (and moaned about it throughout the game) but was dragged there with his friends because they had corporate tickets. And I've sat by drunk women wearing cowboy hats and face paint who cheered because the ball went over the try line - even though it was just the fullback puttin the ball down for a 22 restart (they thought he'd scored a try on his own try line)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:01 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
Plus Welshy - I'd love to get your seat in the Millennium Stadium as whereever I've sat there's been people only catching 20 mins of the game as they turn up late, talk amongst themselves and spend at least 40 mins in queues for pints. I've also sat by a English guy with no interest in watching Wales (and moaned about it throughout the game) but was dragged there with his friends because they had corporate tickets. And I've sat by drunk women wearing cowboy hats and face paint who cheered because the ball went over the try line - even though it was just the fullback puttin the ball down for a 22 restart (they thought he'd scored a try on his own try line)

So what they're all entitled to be there.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:08 pm

Yeah but its the same as people who turn up to the cinema and talk all the way through the film - their entitled to be there, but their bloody annoying and spoil the atmosphere...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:16 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Yeah but its the same as people who turn up to the cinema and talk all the way through the film - their entitled to be there, but their bloody annoying and spoil the atmosphere...

Don't see the comparison at all to be honest. You want the same kind of silence at the games as you get in the cinema.

The last example you give the women who didn't know the rules and were cheering the players on. HOW is that spoiling the atmosphere?

The only person who may have spoiled it is someone who moaned about not wanting to be there.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:30 pm

I wasn't on about women cheering on the players I was talking about them cheering a defending player grounding the ball behind his try line as if he was an attacking player who'd scored a try.

And I didn't say I wanted cinema style silence at a rugby ground- I've already stated that I want a good atmosphere there, with noisy passionate fans, which is why it annoys me that so many of the people at the MS spend more time at the bar or talking than watching the game and cheering on the team.

Apologies I thought i'd made that clear

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I wasn't on about women cheering on the players I was talking about them cheering a defending player grounding the ball behind his try line as if he was an attacking player who'd scored a try.

But why is that a bad thing. They are watching the match and cheering on. The only issue is they didn't know the rules.

To be honest I just don't see why it bothers you so much.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:52 pm

well i guess we must differ greatly in this one issue - but I know of lots of people (and not just Welsh fans) who complain of the atmosphere at the MS.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:54 pm

Know the rules Stag? You should know better Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:54 pm

Fair enough. I can't say I've been to an international there myself. However I know as a Munster fan we have had lots of fairweather supporters like you describe. Its a day out rather than an 80 minute game. But I just found it adds to things in some ways.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:16 pm

Its not the hats - it's the women wearing them! Middle aged drunk Welsh women trying to feel you up in your kilt - not the best!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm

wheres my post gone?

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 8:26 am

As long as people go to the Millennium Stadium, support Wales and cheer them on, it's not essential that they understand everything about the game or even who's playing blindside flanker or whatever. What's annoying are those who are more interested in getting the beers in and aren't paying any attention to the game being played in front of them. You may as well go down your local if that's what you're interested in.

Yes, they've paid for their ticket and are entitled to be there. But it has a detrimental effect on the atmosphere.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:29 am

dont mind people dressing up as long as it's either really funny or adds to the atmosphere but this is just embarassing/ugly.
question for the Welsh amongst yourselves : what is the link between daffodil and Welsh rugby? thanks

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:13 am

Jeez just go to Wellington for the Rugby 7's. It's disgusting, everyone drunk and all in fancy dress. Projectile vomitting and disgusting behavious by thousands of people now just using the venue for a mass P**s up. So much so that in future the people attending will be ejected for their behaviour.

When these so called rugby fans go watch the AB's you fill them with enbalming fluid such is their excitement. Watching the All Blacks is about as exciting as being on the moon, no bloody atmosphere.
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum