The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is your Favourite Boxer Today?

+17
TopHat24/7
Valero's Conscience
BallchinianMuffwig
Super D Boon
Imperial Ghosty
Day V Lately
School Project
John Bloody Wayne
GaryMabbuttYidLegend
BALTIMORA
Steffan
88Chris05
Michaels, Sean
Rowley
coxy0001
AlexHuckerby
d260005p
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is your Favourite Boxer Today? Empty Who is your Favourite Boxer Today?

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:39 pm

Good afternoon fellow boxing nuts,

This is my first post on this new website after leaving 606 original so ill start with a basic easy post!
Who is your favourite boxer in the sport today and why? Mine would have to be Juan Manuel Marquez. This is because he is an all time warrior who is easy to watch and has a great personality inside and outside the ring. He lays it all down in the ring and i am yet to see him in a fight where he looks bad (Except Mayweather, bit unfair that one in my eyes). I really dont think he gets the credit he deserves as a future hall of famer. Has had some cracking fights in the past and he still blows younger opponents away inside the squared circle. His fights with Pacman, and more recently against Katsidis, were fights i admire. A brilliant boxer, however, i think he will retire at the end of the year at the hands of his foe Pacquiao. I think the weight of 144lbs is too much for him, i really think that if they were to get it on at a reasonable weight of 140lbs then maybe he has a chance, but not at 144lbs. What are your thoughts ladies and gents?

Cheers

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Who is your Favourite Boxer Today? Empty Re: Who is your Favourite Boxer Today?

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:41 pm

Don't have a favourite boxer really...
Just pop up and watch whoevers interesting though I have loads that I like just none that I could sit there and genuinely point out my favourite to.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:42 pm

Froch.

Why does your username read like a printer model? Strange fetish we should know about?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:46 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Froch.

Why does your username read like a printer model? Strange fetish we should know about?

HAHA. Funny. Nah mate, its my former service number from the Military. Boring story, not as fun as a printer model fetish. May have to make one up! lol

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

Got to go with Froch, find it hard to really get over attached to overseas boxers when their fights are shown so infrequently over here. As I've said before my main criteria for liking a fighter are a willingness to fight the best, a willingness to travel to do this and being in exciting fights and for me there are not many who tick these boxes better than Froch. The fact that he manages to get in the ring more than once a decade also helps.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

Afternoon Davidemore.

My favourite boxer is Carl Froch because his girlfriend has a filthy mouth and I find that funny.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

Marquez is a great shout, he'd be right up there for me, too. Wonderful technician who, sadly, I think might not ever quite get the kudos he deserves once his career has wound down.

Personally, I'd go with Froch and Gamboa, out of today's crop.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:48 pm

[quote="d260005p"]
coxy0001 wrote:May have to make one up! lol

Whoops. That's gonna go down like a fart in a lift.

Excuse the Davidemore comment.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:49 pm

You see it's funny I get mega excited when the fighters I like fight, but I can't pick out one that stands out to the crowd for me, some I like personally and some from what I like from what they do in the ring. I like Manny and Floyd from what they do in the ring but I don't really like either of them out of it. Find Floyd overly cocky with no wit and I see Manny a bit fake who's image is a bit glossed over, but just my opinion, however noone excites me more when they get in the ring.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:49 pm

@Rowley - Agree with you there mate. Didnt like Froch about 3 years ago, then he had his "war" with Pascal then seemed to get in the ring with about 10 legends back to back lol. Never ducks a fight, always in a brawl and a character outside of the ring.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:51 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:You see it's funny I get mega excited when the fighters I like fight, but I can't pick out one that stands out to the crowd for me, some I like personally and some from what I like from what they do in the ring. I like Manny and Floyd from what they do in the ring but I don't really like either of them out of it. Find Floyd overly cocky with no wit and I see Manny a bit fake who's image is a bit glossed over, but just my opinion, however noone excites me more when they get in the ring.

Disagree with the Pacman personality. I think he wants to fight everyone including Mayweather, but Arum is preventing that from happening by feeding him bums.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm

Stop saying L*L, would hate to be nasty to someone who has not been on here a week yet. Don't want to take Dave's job of being unpleasant to new members.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:56 pm

rowley wrote:Stop saying L*L, would hate to be nasty to someone who has not been on here a week yet. Don't want to take Dave's job of being unpleasant to new members.

For the love of god don't use:

LMFAO
OMG
TTYL
ROFL
WTF
GTG
ATM

You use those and Rowley gets out of his cage, it isn't pretty

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:57 pm

Nathan Cleverly

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

Would have never guessed Steffan

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:00 pm

PMSL @ joffrayrawleigh. Seriously though...of boxers currently active, probably Froch. He's not the most skilful, but he's willing to fight anyone, and he's straight-talking. Seems like a bloke you could enjoy a pint with.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:01 pm

alma wrote:In recent years probably Malignaggi for me. Not an elite fighter, but certainly a character (the haircut mid-fight, the Magic Man costume etc) and despite/because of his brittle hands he is a good technician. I liked how he came back to beat Diaz in the second fight, and there was a decent war with Cotto.

I love the fact Pwaulie seems to have accepted the fact he's a bit of a knob, and plays up to it. Talks a lot, but he says what he means, and doesn't back away from a fight. If only his fists were as tough as his chin.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryMabbuttYidLegend Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:02 pm

Michael Katsidis for me. Never in a dull fight, great character etc

GaryMabbuttYidLegend

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

If you count Barrera as active then he's a big favourite of mine.

Out of the current guys who are still top level then Froch and Pacquiao are my favourites. Pacquiao gets alot of stick on this board but whoever he fights ain't good enough unless their name starts with "Floyd" and ends with "Mayweather." Unless that happens everything else is just a time-killer.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

Oh tough question, I think its easier to answer who I'm willing to stay up late to watch... (and enjoy).

My favourate boxer above all at the moment is Sergio Martinez. Purely for how ruddy hard he's worked to get where he is. He's enjoyable to watch, uses pure energy and can bang. He's had some crummy decisions against him in the Cintron fight and Williams fight (although that was a lot closer) but has taken those loses on the chin and beat Pavlik, avenged a second loss against Williams in brutal fashion and I can't wait to see him take Chavez Jnr apart!!! Not the most slick boxer but certainly enjoyable and worthy of a place in my heart :P

Followed closely by Juan Manuel Marquez (a good choice by the way OP), his tough, no nonsense, counter punching abilities have got him where he is, in Mexico he isn't as revered as Barrera or Morrales, but certain worthy of that following. I don't want him getting in the ring with Pacquaio though as it's simply a fight he won't have the legs for. His dismantling of Diaz and Katsidis (who I love to watch too) were things of beauty. He thinks about his every move and calculated beautiful combos on the inside to move out of danger. Just a great boxer to watch. Don't agree with his wee drinking though.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:09 pm

GaryMabbuttYidLegend wrote:Michael Katsidis for me. Never in a dull fight, great character etc

In my top 5 list definitely. The Kat is always up for a scrap

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:11 pm

JMM is a pleasure to watch, and he's probably my favourite 'non-Brit'. But no, I wouldn't go for a pint with him...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:11 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
rowley wrote:Stop saying L*L, would hate to be nasty to someone who has not been on here a week yet. Don't want to take Dave's job of being unpleasant to new members.

For the love of god don't use:

LMFAO
OMG
TTYL
ROFL
WTF
GTG
ATM

You use those and Rowley gets out of his cage, it isn't pretty

speaking of Dave, were is the old fella, do you think he has wondered off in the yorkshire hills, captain oates style, after his haye/klits predictions?

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:12 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
alma wrote:In recent years probably Malignaggi for me. Not an elite fighter, but certainly a character (the haircut mid-fight, the Magic Man costume etc) and despite/because of his brittle hands he is a good technician. I liked how he came back to beat Diaz in the second fight, and there was a decent war with Cotto.

I love the fact Pwaulie seems to have accepted the fact he's a bit of a knob, and plays up to it. Talks a lot, but he says what he means, and doesn't back away from a fight. If only his fists were as tough as his chin.

I used to hate this guy, but I watched highlights of the Cotto fight and immediately gained respect of him. I think he's actually a likeable character now after his interview from the first Diaz fight... he wore his heart on his sleeve and said something a lot of boxers wouldn't dare... that the sport is as corrupt as they come and he only does it for the money, calling the decision bullmuck.

He's a tough guy and works hard. If he had the power he would be a very scary guy to fight!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:14 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:JMM is a pleasure to watch, and he's probably my favourite 'non-Brit'. But no, I wouldn't go for a pint with him...

Wouldn't fancy his egg on toast either!! egg censored

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:14 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:If you count Barrera as active then he's a big favourite of mine.

Out of the current guys who are still top level then Froch and Pacquiao are my favourites. Pacquiao gets alot of stick on this board but whoever he fights ain't good enough unless their name starts with "Floyd" and ends with "Mayweather." Unless that happens everything else is just a time-killer.

Same could be said about Mayweather though mate to be honest. If its not a Manny and a Pacquiao then their "bums" "over the hill" "too small". You know the drill. Sooner they fight the better. Saying that, will that then become the end of 606v2? Nothing to talk about or argue about?

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:15 pm

School Project wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

I used to hate this guy, but I watched highlights of the Cotto fight and immediately gained respect of him. I think he's actually a likeable character now after his interview from the first Diaz fight... he wore his heart on his sleeve and said something a lot of boxers wouldn't dare... that the sport is as corrupt as they come and he only does it for the money, calling the decision bullmuck.

He's a tough guy and works hard. If he had the power he would be a very scary guy to fight!

Yeah, what he lacks in pop he makes up for in heart and character.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:15 pm

Froch without doubt, what's there not to like about the guy other than his missus' voice

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:16 pm

When it comes to cherry picking they're as bad as each other.

I'm always surprised Martinez is exempt from criticism for always calling out smaller guys.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:17 pm

If Martinez is willing to fight them at 154lbs then why not

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:18 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Froch without doubt, what's there not to like about the guy other than his missus' voice

Only 'cause she's not screeching your name.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:19 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:When it comes to cherry picking they're as bad as each other.

I'm always surprised Martinez is exempt from criticism for always calling out smaller guys.

Demolished Williams. Did a number on Pavlik. Isn't really a massive middleweight. Beat Cintron. Apart from Pacquiao and Mayweather (who are the BIG money fights), how many smaller guys has he called out?

Last edited by BALTIMORA on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:20 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:PMSL @ joffrayrawleigh. Seriously though...of boxers currently active, probably Froch. He's not the most skilful, but he's willing to fight anyone, and he's straight-talking. Seems like a bloke you could enjoy a pint with.

Being that Froch is teetotal I think he'd be a right bore to have a pint with.

"One pint of stella and a lime and ginger please Joan......and take your time, getting bored silly with this big nosed fella banging on about how great he is and how 85% of people thought he beat Kessler"

No come to think of it , not a good fella to have a pintwith. OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:20 pm

Froch for all the reasons already noted...and I also like Pirog, came from out of nowhere as an opponent for Jacobs who was being fastracked as the next big thing for GBP and put him away in very watchable fashion. Shame he's not lived up to that night so far but maybe the best is yet to come...I'd love to see him end the Martinez reign of terror. I quite like Jacobs as well actually as he seems to have a good personality despite the hype he's been brought into the pros with!

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:22 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:PMSL @ joffrayrawleigh. Seriously though...of boxers currently active, probably Froch. He's not the most skilful, but he's willing to fight anyone, and he's straight-talking. Seems like a bloke you could enjoy a pint with.

"One pint of stella and a lime and ginger please Joan......and take your time, getting bored silly with this big nosed fella banging on about how great he is and how 85% of people thought he beat Kessler"

Figuratively speaking. Not to mention that he had a pint in one of the 360 episodes.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:23 pm

To watch JMM and Martinez.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:27 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:When it comes to cherry picking they're as bad as each other.

Because Martinez has in the past expressed interest in fighting these guys at their weights... Remember, Manny Pacquaio was the WBC Junior Middleweight champion for a few days when he fought Margarito? Manny was willing to fight for a Junior Middleweight Championship and win it by proxy, but when Martinez simply said "I'd drop weight and fight" Arum comes out and blasts a P4P boxer for not being a big enough name.

The Junior Middleweight limit is 154 I believe, that's upto Manny if he wants to fight at that weight and chose to be the smaller man.

Besides, Martinez has fought Pavlik, a guy who comes in at 168/172 in his middleweight fights and has a chance to fight Chavez Jr, a guy who can re-hydrate up to around 180 and fight at middleweight.

Not exactly like Martinez is always the bigger man.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:

Figuratively speaking. Not to mention that he had a pint in one of the 360 episodes.

I'd have a few pints with Carl and watch him glumfully stare into his pint and hear him mumble the words "Calzaghe... Calzaghe... Calllzaaaagheeeee" and listen to him talk about how much of a warrior he is.

If I wanted a pint with Calzaghe I'd whip 5 minutes down the road and listen to him and his Dad shouting in the corner of the pub with Gavin Rees and Bradley Price, whilst all the herberts are playing "Corks". Not a fun night out... Come to mention it, that pint with JMM sounds more fun now!

Last edited by School Project on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

Not a great (yet) but Gamboa is unquestionably my favourite fighter at the moment, most exciting boxing on the planet IMO.

Close second, and probably the boxer I admire/respect the most, is Froch. The Calzaghe call-out business put me off him initially but since the Pascal fight I've thought he's great and a refreshing sight for the boxing scene - a go anywhere fight anyone boxer.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

My favourite around just now would need to be Gamboa. So talented it's almost unfair. Speed, power, accuracy and great ring awareness a joy to watch.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Not a great (yet) but Gamboa is unquestionably my favourite fighter at the moment, most exciting boxing on the planet IMO.

Close second, and probably the boxer I admire/respect the most, is Froch. The Calzaghe call-out business put me off him initially but since the Pascal fight I've thought he's great and a refreshing sight for the boxing scene - a go anywhere fight anyone boxer.

Go anywhere!? The bleating he did about Kessler, then refused point blank to fight Abraham in Germany! (Can't say I blame him though).

Offering to fight BHop at a catchweight loses him points in the "fight anyone" category for me considering that Calzaghe moved straight up to Light Heavy to fight him without any weight stipulations.

As much as I'm not a fan I can't argue with Froch's ambition but please people be more objective! You'd think he was Ali the way he's lauded on here! 🤦

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:51 pm

Probably Floyd Mayweather......love watching poetry in motion and nice to see a guy using the shoulder to deflect and staying in distance to counter..

Floyd or Hoppo...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:54 pm

Floyds a great boxer but he stinks the place out. Pacman provides entertainment. Even with Mayweathers superb defense he couldnt handle Mannys volume of punches. Manny would win on points IMO

Apologies for going slightly off topic and sounding like Bob Arum

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:57 pm

What are you on about Boon, looks like you only ever have something bad to say about people

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:58 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:What are you on about Boon, looks like you only ever have something bad to say about people

He's a welch, isn't he? He can't say anything nice about Froch because he called out that welch boxer, remember?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:01 pm

Floyd is a purists boxer, I enjoy watching him for the beautiful work in the ring. The sweet science...

Watch him in his younger days, "in the pocket" boxing, you'll appreciate it Steff OK

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:03 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:What are you on about Boon, looks like you only ever have something bad to say about people

He's a welch, isn't he? He can't say anything nice about Froch because he called out that welch boxer, remember?

Balti, I know you come from the Midlands and English is very rarely spoken or taught up there anymore, but its still no excuse for your poor literacy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:05 pm

Steffan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Balti, I know you come from the Midlands and English is very rarely spoken or taught up there anymore, but its still no excuse for your poor literacy

Except you're wrong there Stef.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:06 pm

Steffan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Yes I know! It's like Barry from Auf Wiedesen Pet has taken over the forum!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:07 pm

Juan Manuel Marquez =) (overseas)

Carl Froch (British)

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next