The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G.A.A attendances hold firm.

5 posters

Go down

G.A.A attendances hold firm. Empty G.A.A attendances hold firm.

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 21 Jul 2011, 7:50 pm

The GAA Football and Hurling championships have retained their popularity despite the recession according to attendances at games so far this summer.

With replays taken out of the provincial championship (5 in 2010 v 0 in 2011) a like with like comparison shows a slight increase in the overall attendance figures.

After a slow start to the provincial campaigns there has been a surge in recent weeks thanks in no small part to some of the fascinating Qualifier ties which have been served up.

With the Football quarter-final draw yet to take place it is impossible to predict likely attendances but the figures recorded to date have been solid.

Interestingly Connacht Football, and Leinster and Munster Hurling showed an increase this year, while Munster, Ulster and Leinster football were down.

Fuelling the rise in attendances has been in the All-Ireland qualifiers which are up nearly 40% on last year’s figures. The total qualifier attendance so far this year (assuming a crowd of 15,000 at Saturday's Tyrone-Armagh game) will be 203,339, compared with 145,420 at the end of Round 3 last year.

Attendances at the provincial championships decreased by 35,232. These numbers are based on a like-for-like basis, which means that last year's provincial replays are not taken into account as none of this year's provincial campaign required a rematch, where as five occurred in 2010.

Some intriguing pairings in the All-Ireland qualifiers have aided this rise in attendances including the meetings of Louth and Meath in Football and Cork against Galway in Hurling. The reduction in admission charges has also encouraged supporters to keep attending games.

A reduction of €5 was introduced on the entire Qualifiers as well as the All-Ireland quarter and semi-finals admission charges. There is also a range of cost saving ticket packages available to buy here.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

G.A.A attendances hold firm. Empty Re: G.A.A attendances hold firm.

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:01 pm

Good to see the GAA attendances holding during the recession. Not suprised with the rise in Leinster Hurling with the Dubland bandwagon this year.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

That's brilliant. From an outsider's point of view, I think the fact that it's still non-professional helps. The TV coverage is limited so those who can get to a game will go, the ticket prices are affordable and the money goes back into the clubs. Smile I know if I lived over there I'd be at every game.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:36 pm

Take that recession!
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:14 am

The absence of tv coverage has been annoying but I suppose it has helped attendences.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:43 am

I think it has Thom. Keeps GAA less professional as well because you haven't got different companies battling to get the rights to show the games live. I know it's annoying - especially for a foreigner like me, but I'd rather it stay this way, than sell out completely Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:46 am

Even though GAA is unprofessional,you find one or two guys on teams who are employed as "GAA development officers" I wouldn't imagine that's a full time job....

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:50 am

I think the players probably have the odd "perk" or two from their sponsors as well, but at least it's not completely sold out. Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

The players get a lot of expenses as well for travel,food etc. I have heard free phones going to Cork players from O2 but Ireland is full of gossipers.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

Thom - well there's nothing wrong with that if it's hospitality from local sponsors. I know that the Irish rugby team were given personalised iPods.
Bernie won a car too I think when he was Footballer of the Year. Still, I bet he never has to buy a pint when he goes out... Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

If Dublin are as fit as they think they are*,he would never be out for a pint!

* they are not.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:19 pm

Oi! He could be like me and have a pint of orange juice! raspberry

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Fri 22 Jul 2011, 3:25 pm

shieldsy has no job and he is vice captain of the world champions.

the allowance on things like petrol has gone down in Meath in comparison to what it was 10 years ago.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down