The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tremlett's hamstring. Risk him or not?

+7
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
msp83
ShankyCricket
Mad for Chelsea
robbo277
GSC
Hoggy_Bear
11 posters

Go down

Tremlett's hamstring. Risk him or not? Empty Tremlett's hamstring. Risk him or not?

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

What do you reckon?
Don't know if I'd risk him myself, especially as Bresnan is a very good replacement.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Tremlett's hamstring. Risk him or not? Empty Re: Tremlett's hamstring. Risk him or not?

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm

i would rest him for this game and pick bresnan..

bresnan will suit conditions better as well...

the ball swings round corners at trent bridge

Back to top Go down

Tremlett's hamstring. Risk him or not? Empty Re: Tremlett's hamstring. Risk him or not?

Post by GSC Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

Nott sure I'd pick Bresnan with Anderson and Broad both surefire selections. Finn allows us to keep our attack balanced.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm

Depends on just how fit he is, but with Bresnan and Finn waiting in the wings, it's no great loss if Tremlett has to sit one out, even though he's been quality recently.

Were he to miss out, I'm really not sure who to choose. I would definitely leave Broad as the change bowler anyway, so who do I want to take the new ball: Bresnan or Finn? I'm leaning towards Finn.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

Is Finn even with the squad?
'Cause if they're not deciding on Tremlett 'til the morning, unless Finn's already in Nottingham, Bresnan will be the only option.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:33 pm

don't think Finn is in the squad. If Tremlett is fit, pick him, otherwise pick Bresnan who'll do a fine job.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:02 pm

jimmy will be key at trent bridge, where the ball swings round corners..

one jimmy jimmy...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

breaking news...

zaheer out of 2nd test and gambhir doubtful

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:11 pm

CF
To be honest this is hardly a breaking news.That was always going to be the case once Zaheer got injured in the first innings.However the Gambhir news is a surprise.I thought he had recovered.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

sorry it isnt breaking enough for u...

but when someone is ruled out of a test it is breaking news

anyway yes gambhir is struggling to grip a bat at the moment apprenantly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:25 pm

not surprising about Zaheer, but he'll be a massive loss to India. Who do they pick now? Sreesanth - can they afford to have two out of three pacemen who could potentially go round the park at a venue which traditionally will favour the swing bowlers? Patel - not really that good a bowler IMO, but at TB with the conditions assisting him could do a job.

If Gambhir is out too then India are in big trouble. Will they pick Yuvraj and gamble on either him or Dravid opening?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:sorry it isnt breaking enough for u...

but when someone is ruled out of a test it is breaking news

anyway yes gambhir is struggling to grip a bat at the moment apprenantly

CF No need to feel insulted.I didnt insult you.I was merely pointing that we knew it all along.If a player gets injured and is suddenly ruled out then its a breaking news.But Zaheer was injured last week.He has not got injured again.Its just that,as widely expected, he couldnt recover in time.Thats not a breaking news IMO.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:31 pm

it poses india with a problem if gambhir is inured there is no other opener in the squad.. sehwag injured only mukund fit lol...

i assume dravid would reluctantly open and yuvraj would find himself in the squad

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

On the original question, if Tremlett is not fully fit, I don't see any need for England to risk. Last week India found out the real hard way how missing a bowler in a 4 man attack can take the heart out of yor bowling. Tremlett has been in fine form after he returned to the side in Australia, and he did creat lots of trouble to India's strong middle order. But England have got quality replacements available, Bresnan with his control, hardwork and improved pace, Finn with his wicket taking abilities, Shahzad if conditions favor reverse swing.......
In he eventuality of Tremlet missing the match, think I would go for Bresnan.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

On Zaheer and Gambhir, India will be missing them big time.
It was at TB last time Zaheer blasted through England to give India a superb win which eventually helped them to the series. The ball does swing a lot here, and although Sreesanth can swing it, noone is as good as Zak when it comes to controling the swing, and working out batters. It will just be terrible.
Gambhir's case will be even more terrible. Sehwag wont be available for this match also, and young Mukund has only played 4 test matches so far. There is no other opener in the side. Dravid may have to open, and althogh he has a pretty sound technique, he's not mentaly comfortable opening the innings.
If Gambhir is not available, Yuvraj would come in, and the battin order may need a complete restructuring, as he can't bat in the top 3. VVS will have to move up to 3 and Yuvraj may bat at 5 or 6. As we all know, regardless of his terrific ODI record, Yuvraj has been a pretty average test cricketer wo in the past has had major trouble against spin and quality pace. England have the world's present number 1 spinner and a pretty organized pace bowling unit among their ranks.
With the spinner's position being leased out to Harbhajan Singh who has been struggling for impact, India has a real problem at their hands.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:03 pm

Hes not fit and England dont need to risk him.
They have two good replacemenst in Finn and Bresnan, and its a swingers ground not a bouncers anyway. Yes ideally he would play but hes nothing like the loss Khan is to India.
He was off pace and semi fit in the last game, and ineffective as a result. Its would be ridiculous to play him if he isnt 100% fit, and by the sound sof it he isnt.

really this question isnt that difficult :
Should you play injured players ? no, if they are fit enough to play they arent injured. England have a team of skilled medical progfessionals to help decide where the line is. I certianly wouldnt be inclined to push it just for Tremlett.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Smile Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:23 pm

Play Bresnan, rest Tremlett and call up Finn.

Broad to open the bowling

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:33 pm

Give him a tough workout and net session today and see how he reacts over night. I wouldn't want Tremlett playing unless he's very close to full fitness and can get through the Test.

Another speculation is the wicket ; if it's quicker than Lords with good bounce then I'd be keen for him to play but only if he's ok. If not then tall bowlers Bresnan or Finn can do a reasonable job as stand in.

After the very good start earlier this week playing a first choice bowler but with a chance of injury would be would be a risk. I don't think it would be a backward move to rest him if CT's leg is not right.

Last edited by Stellar Key on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:34 pm

Id have a bowling line up of:

Anderson
Broad
Bresnan

(If its going to swing)

Anderson
Broad
Finn

(If its not)

Or if they want to be brave then:

Anderson
Broad
Woakes

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by longhopmerchant Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:47 pm

If he's not fit, don't play him. Period. He has been injury prone all through his career. A small injury could become a mega injury with his history.

longhopmerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down