The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the world XI to take on england

+13
Makrish
chrisyeah
longhopmerchant
Liam_Main
Hoggy_Bear
msp83
ShankyCricket
robbo277
dummy_half
Smile
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Fists of Fury
Gregers
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

with the mighty england going along really well in test cricket at the moment, if they were to play a rest of thr world XI that looked like this who would win?

this is the side's that im coming up with, let me know what you think

( i did this with india's odi side in a different thread)

england
1)Cook
2)Strauss (C)
3)Trott
4)KP
5)Belly
6)Morgan
7)Prior (WK)
8)Swann
9)Broad
10)Bresnan/tremlett
11)Anderson

Rest of the world XI

1)Virender Sehwag (if he was playing this series fully fit, he could take apart any bowling attack)
2)Graeme Smith (C)
3)Younis Khan
4)AB De Villiers
5)Michael Clarke
6)Umar Akmal
7)Brendon MCCullum (WK)
8)Devandre Bishoo
9)Ajantha Mendis
10)Fidel Edwards
11)Peter Siddle

Im not saying that this side would beat england, im saying it would be a very intresting test match and i wonder who would come out on top

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Gregers Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:18 pm

1) Tamim Iqbal
2) Graeme Smith
3) Hashim Amla
4) AB De Villiers
5) Rahul Dravid
6) Umar Akmal
7) Brendon McCullum (wk)
8) Daniel Vettori (c)
9) Zaheer Khan
10) Dale Steyn
11) Peter Siddle

Gregers

Posts : 15025
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 31
Location : Brighton, England

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:23 pm

Probably still back England, to be honest.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Posts : 11721
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 35
Location : Birmingham, England

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm

<witty comment about number of englishmen in rest of the world side>

Why does everyone have such a boner for Iqbal, one good innings? Is he really the best opener not playing for England? And Bishoo? Mendis struggles to even get in the Sri LAnka side. Akmal?????

Im assuming the games played in England

Sehwag
Smith
Dravid (or Tendulkar if its not in England)
Amla
ABDV
Watson
Haddin
Vetorri
Morkel
Khan
Steyn


Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:34 pm

Agree with Fists, team untiy and what not means a lot more than ability, in my opinion.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:<witty comment about number of englishmen in rest of the world side>

Why does everyone have such a boner for Iqbal, one good innings? Is he really the best opener not playing for England? And Bishoo? Mendis struggles to even get in the Sri LAnka side. Akmal?????

Im assuming the games played in England

Sehwag
Smith
Dravid (or Tendulkar if its not in England)
Amla
ABDV
Watson
Haddin
Vetorri
Morkel
Khan
Steyn


RE: Iqbal, I think it's just because he's an exciting player with a lot of potential, he's by no means one of the best openers at the moment but there is a lot of growing room there for him, in my opinion.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm

Iqbal is good, on his day, but by no means world class. I wouldn't have him anywhere near one of my 'dream teams', far too liable to get out to a rash shot.

Graeme Smith and Guatam Gambhir/Shane Watson would probably be a better opening combination.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Posts : 11721
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 35
Location : Birmingham, England

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Gregers Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

Iqbal was in my squad as I wanted a Bangladeshi.

If its a world XI I suppose I could go with Murray Goodwin for Zimbabwe

Gregers

Posts : 15025
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 31
Location : Brighton, England

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Smile Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:43 pm

Sehwag
Watson
Amla
Tendulkar
Kallis
De-Villiers
Haddin
Vettori
Zaheer
Steyn
Morkel

Smile

Posts : 75
Join date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by dummy_half Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm

In England, I would have doubts about Sehwag, although given the paucity of good openers elsewhere I think he might just keep his place - I'd definitely have more confidence in Graeme Smith to do the job at the top of the order though.

So, I'd go for:
Sehwag
Smith
Dravid
Tendulkar
Jayawardene
Watson (just edging out Kallis because he's now a better bowler)
McCullum
Vettori
Brett Lee (I know it's a bit of a cheat as he's retired from Tests)
Khan
Steyn

Amla and de Villiers are the 'close but no cigar' guys - shame neither of them opens.

dummy_half

Posts : 5689
Join date : 2011-03-11
Age : 50
Location : East Hertfordshire

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Smile Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

Kallis is arguably the best batsmen in the world at present?

Smile

Posts : 75
Join date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

Yep fair enough, if youre looking to pick outside the top countries hes in with a shot.

The way they have played recently you suspect England could beat anyone. Many of the big name global stars have been out of touch recently. Thinking back even a year ago could you have imagined a world X1 with no Ponting and frankly any Australians being automatic picks?

Tendulkar would be in my side if it were an away fixture. Forgot about Kallis...Id have Watson over him as an all rounder in England though as Kallis' bowling is almost shot now. Maybe ditch Amla or ABDV for him. Ooh selection headaches.

If I had to have a Pakistani probably Khan. Dilshan, Sanga, Jawayardene if there had to be a Sri Lankan, struggling to think of a West Indian Id want ... Edwards and Chanderpaul are the only real test players they have.


Putting this together does strike me that theres a lack of star seam bowlers beyong Khan and Steyn and England, a lack of wicket taking spinners in test matches, and a lack of true test openers.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

i would back england with the sides i wrote, was just intrested to see what people would say Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by robbo277 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:32 pm

Whoever doesn't get picked for England out of Bresnan or Tremlett should be straight into the RotW XI, especially if the match is to be played in England!

robbo277

Posts : 4917
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 34
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm

PSW
You would pick Sehwag for a game played in England?

ShankyCricket

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:PSW
You would pick Sehwag for a game played in England?

Good question! Just struggling to think of who else I would...that was the point I made about a lack of what youd call proper test openers. Theres some great destrcutive ones out there (Dilshan, Watson) but not so many Boycotts.
I guess we'll find out how Sehwag gets on next week!

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Smile Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

Gambhir, Watson, Smith?




Smile

Posts : 75
Join date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:01 pm

PSW
How about his Indian partner Gambhir?I know he has played only 1 Test in England but he has played in SA and did exceptionally well on even tougher wickets against Steyn and Morkel.So he should do well in English conditions IMO.
Gambhir and Smith opening would be ideal.Both are busy players.Neither destroyers nor too defensive.Both technically correct.If Simon Katich was available he could have made a case too but I still think Gambhir is better.He was exceptional in SA.

Re:Iqbal.I think he is technically better suited to English conditions than Sehwag tbh but not as good as Gambhir or Smith.

ShankyCricket

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

Smile...already had Smith and Watson in my side ...but as an opener Watsoon is very much in theODI style, so i had him lower down the order.

Yeah I guess Gambhir would be the guy.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

Gambhir
Smith
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kallis
Laxman
Dhoni(c and wk)
Harby
Steyn
Morkel
Zaheer

ShankyCricket

Posts : 4546
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by msp83 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 7:49 pm

Virender Sehwag
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacque Kallis
Prasanna Jayawardene(WK)
Shakib Al Hasan
Mitchell Johnson
Dale Steyn
Zaheer Khan
Morne Morkel

Think this xi has everything. 2 explosive openers, a solid middle order that include batting legend like Tendulkar, one of the best number 3s to have played the game, one of the world's best all-rounders, the present best wicket keeper and one of the best fast bowlers who have played the game.
Johnson at 8 gives enough batting cover, all the 4 seamers are proven wicket takers. If the wrong Mitch turns up, then there is pretty good cover from Kallis and Shakib who incidently bowls left-arm spin!.
Steyn, Zaheer and Morne can slog a few, and Sehwag and Dilshan are decent parttime bowling options.

msp83

Posts : 15594
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 03 Aug 2011, 7:52 pm

Prasanna isn't the best wicketkeeper mate, obviously Prior is but he is ineligible for this rest of the world team, so I'd say the next best has to be Haddin, followed by McCullum and Boucher.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Posts : 11721
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 35
Location : Birmingham, England

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed 03 Aug 2011, 7:55 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Prasanna isn't the best wicketkeeper mate, obviously Prior is but he is ineligible for this rest of the world team, so I'd say the next best has to be Haddin, followed by McCullum and Boucher.

Think Prassana's better with the gloves, which is what the post's on about I think.

Hoggy_Bear

Posts : 2202
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 56
Location : The Fields of Athenry

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 03 Aug 2011, 8:06 pm

Possibly, but batting counts almost as much these days.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Posts : 11721
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 35
Location : Birmingham, England

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Liam_Main Wed 03 Aug 2011, 8:10 pm

Rest of the world XI

Sehwag
Smith (C)
Dravid
Kallis
Tendulkar
De Villiers
Haddin (WK)
Vettori
Johnson
Khan
Steyn
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Posts : 5356
Join date : 2011-03-06
Location : Gateshead

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Liam_Main Wed 03 Aug 2011, 8:10 pm

I think the world XI would come out on top but England would put in a good fight
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Posts : 5356
Join date : 2011-03-06
Location : Gateshead

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by longhopmerchant Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:42 pm

England vs a RoW XI? England aren't that good

South Africa would put the Poms in their place.

longhopmerchant

Posts : 121
Join date : 2011-07-23

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by chrisyeah Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:53 pm

I'd select:

Sehwag
Watson
Amla
Kallis
Jayawardene
De Villiers
Haddin
Vettori
Johnson
Zaheer
Steyn


chrisyeah

Posts : 8
Join date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:54 am

longhopmerchant wrote:
South Africa would put the Poms in their place.

Which they did once in the last 4 series, even Australia have managed that.

Yes its pushing it to saythat England would beat a world X1 assuming everyone was fully motivated etc. But dont kid yourself that a declining South Afroica who have one bowler of note would just turn up and "put us in our place" I guess you could actually argue that right now India are putting England in their place, number one.
At least you can be a bit less embaressed about having lost to us so much recently egg

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:17 pm

im not saying england would play row XI, its purely hypothetical

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by msp83 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:34 pm

Brendan McCullum no longer keeps wickets in tests, so he's out of the framework.
Mark Boucher is a decent keeper, and an ok bat, an average in the early 30s doesn't suggest more.
Dhoni and Haddin are decent keepers who are good with the bat. Although he's going through a bit of a bad patch, Dhoni remains the better bat among the 2.
However, I thought a side including Tendulkar, Dravid and Kallis, and Johnson at 8 would need the better glove man, if he is capable enough with the bat. Prasanna's bbatting has picked up in recent times. His recent showing in England was much better than that of most of their top order, in testing conditions.

msp83

Posts : 15594
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by longhopmerchant Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:35 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
longhopmerchant wrote:
South Africa would put the Poms in their place.

Which they did once in the last 4 series, even Australia have managed that.

.But dont kid yourself that a declining South Afroica who have one bowler of note would just turn up and "put us in our place"
Firstly it's South Africa not South Afroica, try getting the name correct, it's disrespectful.

South Africa in decline? Amla, Smith, ABDV, Steyn, Morkel, Parnell, Rudolph etc wouldn't be too shabby a side.

Steyn and Morkel are the best opening bowler combo around.

longhopmerchant

Posts : 121
Join date : 2011-07-23

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:42 pm

south africa are definteliey not in decline, in fact i think they are on the way up

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Makrish Fri 05 Aug 2011, 6:15 pm

Morne Morkel and Steyn, the best opening bowler combo? Please. Steyn is easily the most dangerous bowler around, but I'd fancy Anderson and Broad against Steyn and Morkel.

Steyn and Morkel combined had 46 @ 15.6 in their last test series, against India. Broad and Anderson, in that last match, had combined figures of 13 @ 14.8. Nine of those came with the new ball.

Now, I'm not denying they're good bowlers - I'm just saying that as a partnership, Broad and Anderson complement each other better.

Furthermore, I remember 09/10, when we drew against you 1-1, when you were at home. England as a team have progressed since then, both as a bowling unit and a batting line-up.

Makrish

Posts : 69
Join date : 2011-07-12

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by msp83 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

I think people are forgeting Broad's dreadful time before the India series far too soon.
Broad, like S Sreesanth of India, is a decent bowler who can put in an absolutely fine world class spel now and then. Now he has done it for 2 back tests, otherwise his record has been pretty inconsistent.
Its not without a reason his bowling average is close to the mid 30s.
Besides, when Chris Tremlett is available, he has opened the bowling in recent matches.

msp83

Posts : 15594
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Makrish Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:08 pm

msp83 wrote:I think people are forgeting Broad's dreadful time before the India series far too soon.
Broad, like S Sreesanth of India, is a decent bowler who can put in an absolutely fine world class spel now and then. Now he has done it for 2 back tests, otherwise his record has been pretty inconsistent.
Its not without a reason his bowling average is close to the mid 30s.

Where have you been for the last few months? Surely you're not going on stats alone? It's well known that Broad's lack of wickets came mainly from him bowling short. In fact, it's been discussed on Sky, BBC and cricinfo so many times I'm not sure how you missed it. Ever since he was dropped for the last ODI against SL, he's been pitching it up and been reaping the rewards for doing so. Everytime he's had a world class spell, he's pitched it up. Before the first Test against India, he was being criticised for not pitching it up.

A better indicator of how improved he is is his economy rate - 3.29 against SL, 2.09 against India so far. He's gotten a lot more menacing and a lot less expensive.

Makrish

Posts : 69
Join date : 2011-07-12

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by msp83 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:58 pm

Makrish wrote:
msp83 wrote:I think people are forgeting Broad's dreadful time before the India series far too soon.
Broad, like S Sreesanth of India, is a decent bowler who can put in an absolutely fine world class spel now and then. Now he has done it for 2 back tests, otherwise his record has been pretty inconsistent.
Its not without a reason his bowling average is close to the mid 30s.

Where have you been for the last few months? Surely you're not going on stats alone? It's well known that Broad's lack of wickets came mainly from him bowling short. In fact, it's been discussed on Sky, BBC and cricinfo so many times I'm not sure how you missed it. Ever since he was dropped for the last ODI against SL, he's been pitching it up and been reaping the rewards for doing so. Everytime he's had a world class spell, he's pitched it up. Before the first Test against India, he was being criticised for not pitching it up.

A better indicator of how improved he is is his economy rate - 3.29 against SL, 2.09 against India so far. He's gotten a lot more menacing and a lot less expensive.

I do watch most of England's test matches, as they are one of my favorit teams, in fact the 2nd favorit, aftr India.
I have seen a lot of Broad, right from his debut. He has bowled well in patches, has never been consistent. It took him a year to get a 4 wicket haul, after the Pak series. He always has had problems with his length, he found the right kind of length in the India series, but the fact remains he has otherwise been inconsistent.
A good series means a good series, that's all. Broad has to sustain this level of consistency throughout the series, and in the coming challenges as well.

msp83

Posts : 15594
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Makrish Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

msp83 wrote:
He has bowled well in patches, has never been consistent. It took him a year to get a 4 wicket haul, after the Pak series. He always has had problems with his length, he found the right kind of length in the India series, but the fact remains he has otherwise been inconsistent.

He has been quoted, many a time, as saying his role in the England camp has been a little confused. He said, after one series (can't remember which), that his idol was Glenn McGrath and preferred bowling line and length, but that he was always encouraged to bowl short and try to bounce a batsman out by the coaches. You'd be able to see this in the fields Strauss has set for him in the past.

Because of his height in previous attacks (Anderson, Sidebottom, Bresnan, Onions), he's always been expected to be the "enforcer", the one who frightens batsmen, and a like-for-like replacement for Harmison. That's why he's bowled short for so long, and unable to bowl his natural length. Now that Tremlett's in the squad, though, hopefully he'll be able to start bowling fuller.

Makrish

Posts : 69
Join date : 2011-07-12

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by msp83 Sat 06 Aug 2011, 8:09 am

He saying things alone wouldn't bring him wickets. The fact remains he has been inconsistent, and therefore on the basis of that he can't be rated above Morne Morkel.
Doesn't mean Broad isn't a good bowler, but he has to bring his average down, and pick up wickets on a consistent basis.

msp83

Posts : 15594
Join date : 2011-05-30
Location : India

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 06 Aug 2011, 8:47 am

cricketfan90 wrote:south africa are definteliey not in decline, in fact i think they are on the way up

They have won one series in their last 6, Id call that on the downslope. Yes they have had a tough run of games, but its stil cant see how you can argue going from a run of 9 wins and a draw from 10 series to that is being in the ascendency.

Not long ago they were legitimate challengers for the number one spot n the world rankings. Now they are likley to slip to third.

I dont thnk its unfair to say that they have declined from where they were. Partly Id say this is down to Kallis losing his bowling as a realfrontline weapon which unbalances the side. A replacemnet for Boucher will need to be found sooner or later but theres still noon really challenging him...Kallis and Prince wont keepgoing much longer either. They are stilllooking for a spinner who is genuinly test class (although this is an area they may sort out if Tahir makes the grade). They are an opener short and struggling to fnd anyone worthy to fll that role. Beyond Steyn and Morkel there is much bowling, and with Kallis unable to contribute as he did thats become an issue and may get worse. South African cricket itself is in trouble, not only with the usual political wranglings but fraud investigations too.


You could argue either way for ngland or SA having the best opening bowlers, Id go with SA but England having by far the better ovrall unit. SA have a core of fine batsmen. They are a good side, but the cracks have appeared and could be ecposed badly askey players retire. Their rults are already slipping.

Therefor, I state again..as a test team they are in a period of decline whereasngland are on an upslope, possibly at their peak.

When longhop stated that SA would "put England in their place" this to me indicated that he belived SA were a better side and would crush England with ease. I beleive that statement was silly and more based on his desire to see England beaten and not believe that they might actually be a decent side rather than any rational objective review of the current and likely short term future state of the two teams.
England have improved recently, SA have declined recently.

It must be frustrating to be a pom basher when England are doing well




Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by chrisyeah Sat 06 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

South Africa have no one challenging Boucher? How about Heino Kuhn? And I imagine they won't be a opener short when Rudolph is recalled. South Africa have a very good side, and to me the only problem area they have (assuming Tahir cuts it at test level) is the third seamer.

chrisyeah

Posts : 8
Join date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 07 Aug 2011, 7:36 am

chrisyeah wrote:South Africa have no one challenging Boucher? How about Heino Kuhn? And I imagine they won't be a opener short when Rudolph is recalled. South Africa have a very good side, and to me the only problem area they have (assuming Tahir cuts it at test level) is the third seamer.

Is Heino challenging him or simply being groomed as a possible replacement? Hes had a pretty woeful introduction to interntaional cricket, he isnt the reserve keeper currently is he (Van Wyk?)
Is Rudolph black enough now to replace Alviro Jolson now? Replacing one batsman with a test average in the mid 30's with another..hmm. I would expect him to do better if he were to get another go though.

I dont disagree that South Africa have a good side and good players at all. I just dont think they are as good as they were. Perhaps I am wrong about the challenges ahead of them to reverse the slide in results over the last couple of years. They could be at the bottom of the form trough now.

I still dont thnk its unreasonable to doubt that they would give england the same kicking they did last time they came over, and that longhops statement was just a wild taunt from a grumpy ozzy upset to see England doing well rather than a reasoned opinion.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by longhopmerchant Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:46 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
chrisyeah wrote:South Africa have no one challenging Boucher? How about Heino Kuhn? And I imagine they won't be a opener short when Rudolph is recalled. South Africa have a very good side, and to me the only problem area they have (assuming Tahir cuts it at test level) is the third seamer.

Is Heino challenging him or simply being groomed as a possible replacement? Hes had a pretty woeful introduction to interntaional cricket, he isnt the reserve keeper currently is he (Van Wyk?)
Is Rudolph black enough now to replace Alviro Jolson now? Replacing one batsman with a test average in the mid 30's with another..hmm. I would expect him to do better if he were to get another go though.

I dont disagree that South Africa have a good side and good players at all. I just dont think they are as good as they were. Perhaps I am wrong about the challenges ahead of them to reverse the slide in results over the last couple of years. They could be at the bottom of the form trough now.

I still dont thnk its unreasonable to doubt that they would give england the same kicking they did last time they came over, and that longhops statement was just a wild taunt from a grumpy ozzy upset to see England doing well rather than a reasoned opinion.
Sorry but you're going on like South Africa's batsmen are of the standard of a pub side, ABDV and Amla are fantastic and would walk into any side. I've ignored Smith and Kallis as both are 30+.

Heino Kuhn is ready for Test cricket, comparing his T20 International debut isn't relevant.

longhopmerchant

Posts : 121
Join date : 2011-07-23

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:02 am

longhopmerchant wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
chrisyeah wrote:South Africa have no one challenging Boucher? How about Heino Kuhn? And I imagine they won't be a opener short when Rudolph is recalled. South Africa have a very good side, and to me the only problem area they have (assuming Tahir cuts it at test level) is the third seamer.

Is Heino challenging him or simply being groomed as a possible replacement? Hes had a pretty woeful introduction to interntaional cricket, he isnt the reserve keeper currently is he (Van Wyk?)
Is Rudolph black enough now to replace Alviro Jolson now? Replacing one batsman with a test average in the mid 30's with another..hmm. I would expect him to do better if he were to get another go though.

I dont disagree that South Africa have a good side and good players at all. I just dont think they are as good as they were. Perhaps I am wrong about the challenges ahead of them to reverse the slide in results over the last couple of years. They could be at the bottom of the form trough now.

I still dont thnk its unreasonable to doubt that they would give england the same kicking they did last time they came over, and that longhops statement was just a wild taunt from a grumpy ozzy upset to see England doing well rather than a reasoned opinion.
Sorry but you're going on like South Africa's batsmen are of the standard of a pub side, ABDV and Amla are fantastic and would walk into any side. I've ignored Smith and Kallis as both are 30+.

Heino Kuhn is ready for Test cricket, comparing his T20 International debut isn't relevant.

So in saying that they are good players in a good side and that Rudolph would likely do better than he did previously Im calling them a pub side?
If youre not even going to bother addressing a balanced opinion with a balanced reply then youre going to come across as a bit of a goof.




Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Posts : 10344
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : Englandshire

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by EnglishReign Mon 08 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

The Saffers had a chance to put the "Poms" in their place on their own patch and couldn't do it. England weren't half as good then either. Remind me how they got on against India recently?

EnglishReign

Posts : 2040
Join date : 2011-06-12
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by ianp1970 Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:13 pm

Sehwag
Watson
Dravid
Kallis
Jayawardene
de Villiers
Sangakarra (if asked to play for RoW, would he refuse to take the gloves?)
Vettori
Steyn
Morkel
Zaheer

ianp1970

Posts : 34
Join date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by longhopmerchant Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:10 am

EnglishReign wrote:The Saffers had a chance to put the "Poms" in their place on their own patch and couldn't do it. England weren't half as good then either. Remind me how they got on against India recently?
SA bossed 3 out of 4 Tests when England last toured SA.

The drawn Tests, 1st and 3rd, England luckily survived 9 down.

SA drew 1-1 in India last time out. Poms have won 1 Test in Indian in 15-20 years

SA have the best record of touring sides in India since their readmission.

longhopmerchant

Posts : 121
Join date : 2011-07-23

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by hodge Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:10 am

longhopmerchant wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:The Saffers had a chance to put the "Poms" in their place on their own patch and couldn't do it. England weren't half as good then either. Remind me how they got on against India recently?
SA bossed 3 out of 4 Tests when England last toured SA.

The drawn Tests, 1st and 3rd, England luckily survived 9 down.

SA drew 1-1 in India last time out. Poms have won 1 Test in Indian in 15-20 years

SA have the best record of touring sides in India since their readmission.

Point is there though SA couldn't get England out, you cant win a test match for having your opponents 9 down instead of 10, every wicket counts

hodge

Posts : 2960
Join date : 2011-01-25
Location : Somerset/Preston (Uni)

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by EnglishReign Tue 09 Aug 2011, 7:02 pm

longhopmerchant wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:The Saffers had a chance to put the "Poms" in their place on their own patch and couldn't do it. England weren't half as good then either. Remind me how they got on against India recently?
SA bossed 3 out of 4 Tests when England last toured SA.

The drawn Tests, 1st and 3rd, England luckily survived 9 down.

SA drew 1-1 in India last time out. Poms have won 1 Test in Indian in 15-20 years

SA have the best record of touring sides in India since their readmission.

"Nearly winning" isn't good enough. Like I say, this England side is far better now anyway. Right now, at this moment in time, England has the best test team in the world.

EnglishReign

Posts : 2040
Join date : 2011-06-12
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

england are better than southafrcia

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Rest of the world XI to take on england Empty Re: Rest of the world XI to take on england

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum