The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Premier League Discussion Thread

+42
liverbnz
sodhat
Don Corleone187
Cheesehead United
Sand
czaree
Mr H
legendkillar
Calder106
Celtic Warrior
dyrewolfe
hodge
AlexHuckerby
Kenny
antoineclarke
ADMIN
dondelero
Irish Curry
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Beer
Bull
Josiah Maiestas
Derbyblue
Davie
ncfc_Tooze
westisbest
The Galveston Giant
braveheart101
Mat
HitmanOwl
Fernando
GSC
Gregers
John Cregan
JohnnyH
Liam_Main
sharky066
AberdeenSteve
Thomond
Crimey
Trebs
Adam D
46 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Premier League Discussion Thread - Page 7 Empty Premiership - 13th August 2011

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug - 9:01

First topic message reminder :

Today sees the return of the premiership! (about time, It's a nightmare during the summer with no footy)

Today's matches:

Blackburn v Wolves 15:00
Fulham v Aston Villa 15:00
Liverpool v Sunderland 15:00
Newcastle v Arsenal 17:30
QPR v Bolton 15:00
Wigan v Norwich 15:00

How do you see the games going today?
And don't forget to join the v2 prediction league, 96 in so far!
https://www.606v2.com/t10360-prediction-league-partnership

Back to top Go down

Premier League Discussion Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Post by braveheart101 Sun 28 Aug - 18:57

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:No doubt Wenger is a very good manager if not a great manager , but he seems so stuck in his ways it could cost him his job , Arsene the money is there spend it !!!!!!
Don't say that KK let Wenger be stubborn and not spend a penny that will make it a lot easier for Liverpool to finish 3rd or 4th.
What I don't get is how people on tv and radio are saying that Arsenal had 11 first team players out today or had a really weakened team but surely Szczesny, Walcott, Van Persie, Arshavin, Ramsey are guaranteed their place in the first team and add to that Koseielny, Traore, Rosicky, Djourou and Chamakh who are usually in the squad or on the bench then they weren't as weakened as a lot of people are making out.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Premier League Discussion Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Premier League Discussion Thread

Post by legendkillar Sun 28 Aug - 19:38

I felt quite sorry for Arsenal today. In respect it wasn't the strongest Utd side that has ever faced the gunners. I think Arsene needs to spend, bring in some class players and give incentive to the youngsters wanting to break into the first team.

I can appreciate what Arsene is trying to achieve and by and large the best manager for the club. He needs to 'amend' his philosophy.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 28 Aug - 20:34

I said Arsenal needed to add steel to their midfield,and that they should sign Joey Barton. I was laughed at(not really on here but by other people) I think they could do with him. Some centre backs would also be handy for them.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 28 Aug - 20:47

maybe try and hijack Spurs' bid for Parker, would help their midfield

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Sun 28 Aug - 21:27

Arsenal will struggle. I can't see them bringing in any star quality before Wednesday. It's gonna be a long old season!

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 28 Aug - 23:33

Wednesdays deadline day could get very interesting , Arsenal needs players , Spurs always buy someone , Man City well they could buy anyone they want ........ Still think Man Utd will try for Sniejder aswell .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by antoineclarke Tue 30 Aug - 9:11

Between Mr Wenger's haggling and losing 2-0 at home to Liverpool and 8-2 to Man Utd, who is going to want to go to Arsenal? There's no doubt that a good impression in August must be useful. I bet Swansea find it less difficult talking to strikers after last weekend's performance ("we create chances, you would have scored a couple.")

Letting Fabregas and Nasri go with no serious action to replace them now (sure, I bet Mr Wenger's lined up 17 year olds who might make it in two years time) is bad management.

The case against firing Arsene Wenger has always been "Who would you bring in that's better?" Now the question "who can persuade people like Fabregas to stay and bring in top players" is becoming more urgent.

The defence needs rebuilding. Fabregas needs replacing. Top quality cover for Van Persie is needed. And teenage novices with no top league experience won't cut it. I don't get the impression Mr Wenger sees this. If I'm right, and I admit I could have it all wrong, he has to go.

The fact that we're less than 48 hours away from the window closing and there is no evidence that Arsenal can do the necessary to replace their losses is not good. Except for a Liverpool fan like me.

We just need to confirm Coates in and let a few more dead weights go to keep the wage bill reasonable. Benayoun or Bellamy could be handy for the bench, but I'm sure we're stronger than we have been in years anyhow.
antoineclarke
antoineclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 30 Aug - 9:13

antoineclarke wrote:The case against firing Arsene Wenger has always been "Who would you bring in that's better?"

That question is still as relevant as ever and there is still no answer to it

Davie

Back to top Go down

Premier League Discussion Thread - Page 7 Empty Reality

Post by dondelero Tue 30 Aug - 10:36

Arsenal 3 Chelsea 1/Arsenal 2 Barcelona 1

After these games last season, many Arsenal fans were tricked into thinking they had a great team it seems along with the manager. It was said that Arsene Wenger's policy on youth was vindicated. This lead to great boasts about winning 4 trophies and even this season we hear some Arsenal fans making ridiculous comments like "the league was ours last season" and nonsense like that. Now just after 6 months or so later reality has kicked in and Mr Wenger now has been panicked into buying players and fans can finally see that Arsenal were never as good as the media and Mr Wenger said they were.

Yes they had injuries on Sunday, but Walcott, RVP, Rosicky, Arshavin, Szczensy, Djourou, would probably still have featured even if they had no injuries and it was also overlooked that both Utd's usual CB's were not playing. In fairness the 8-2 result is nothing for Utd fans to get too excited about against that spineless and lazy Arsenal team. In fact Utd down the years score quite well against Arsenal no matter what team they put out i.e 6-1 and 2-4 in relatively recent seasons, so its nothing new.

What this result should do is adjust Arsenal fans attitude in relation to boasting when they get good results. We will see what happens if Arsenal beat Swansea in their next game? What will you Arsenal fans say then? probably back to the usual delusional nonsense thinking Arsenal will be champs in January.

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 30 Aug - 10:58

Stoke are in talks with Chelsea over the loan signing of Romelu Lukaku!

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 30 Aug - 11:43

King Beer wrote:Stoke are in talks with Chelsea over the loan signing of Romelu Lukaku!

Not allowed cant go out on loan in same transfer window

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Tue 30 Aug - 11:43

Who do Stoke think they are?! Signing Upson who could have joined better sides, and being linked with Palacios, Crouch and Lukaku. Punching above their weight but fair play to them!

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 30 Aug - 11:46

Andre Santos + Per Mertesacker appear to be heading towards the entry door at the emirates

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by czaree Tue 30 Aug - 13:38

Chelsea is looking increasingly disjointed and lazy. Too many old and slow moving players. Why spent so much money on a new coach when Roman seems still in love with the old stalwarts i.e. Lampard, Drogba, and Terry. Add to that Anelka, Cole, Malouda and Mikel. They are past it and not good enough anymore.

City in contrast seems to have reached a fantastic balance and is good enough to win the Premier League as they have a fine mix of experience and youth and creativity. I hope they can prevent Manchester United from winning the title as Chelsea does not seem to have much hope.

czaree

Back to top Go down

Post by antoineclarke Tue 30 Aug - 14:55

fernando wrote:Andre Santos + Per Mertesacker appear to be heading towards the entry door at the emirates

Not bad and in the case of Mertesacker very useful.

But do they replace Fabregas and Nasri? Nope.

Arsenal need a playmaker in midfield, as well as a centre back and a striker. Without a proper replacement for Fabregas, Arsenal will not finish in the top six.
antoineclarke
antoineclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 30 Aug - 15:15

they're banking on Ramsey stepping up i reckon, not ready yet though imo, getting Wilshere back will help though

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 31 Aug - 15:31

Plenty of names being mentioned for Arsenals midfield but no signings yet , who woulsd Arsenal fans want above anyone else ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 31 Aug - 15:36

The following list has been linked to arsenal today

kaka
Eden Hazard
Fellaini
Arteta
Marvin Martin
Douglas costa
Lucho

Martin and douglas costa are the most likely to join arsenal tbh

According to rumors we have a medical booked in today at some point.

In other news Asamoah Gyan has handed in a transfer request at sunderland

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 10 Sep - 16:58

Dissapointing result that, knew it would be a hard game going to Stoke but I felt we really deserved at least a point, and to lose basically because of a silly mistake is really disapointing.

Had Stoke not scored early on, they wouldn't have been able to park the bus and I think we could have won the game. Suarez looked very good again, the late chance was a lot harder than it looked to score, but I think he should have got it at least on target.

Good game for Downing and Enrique as well as usual. Adam was below par though, he gave the ball away far too much and had the rest of the team picking up the pieces all the time. Henderson was alright, probably should have scored the chance.

Not too disheartened by the result as it was obviously going to be a hard game and in the second half we had something like 67% possession, it's just a shame we gave away a silly penalty.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep - 17:12

Dissapointing result for us in all honesty. Gotta be getting wins at placers like the Britannia if we are to be taken seriously.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 10 Sep - 17:14

I think we should have started with Carroll instead of Kuyt, as much as I like Dirk Kuyt because we had him Suarez was often isolated up front, and both Luis Suarez and Kuyt like to work wide so we had no threat through the middle allowing the centre backs to double up with the full backs.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep - 17:28

Yeah I'd have thought it was the perfect kind of match for Carroll to do his stuff. Never mind, onwards and upwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sat 10 Sep - 18:51

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I think we should have started with Carroll instead of Kuyt, as much as I like Dirk Kuyt because we had him Suarez was often isolated up front, and both Luis Suarez and Kuyt like to work wide so we had no threat through the middle allowing the centre backs to double up with the full backs.
Good point. Do you think Liverpool need a top quality striker to play through the middle or is Kenny going to play Gerrard just behind Suarez as he did with Torres. Personally I think that if Kenny wanted to sell Meireles (as was claimed earlier in the week) then they should have got Sturridge as part of the deal.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 10 Sep - 20:18

I think Andy Carroll is the striker we can play down the middle, I think people are giving up on him far too easily, he is a huge threat to defences and I still rate him highly. I expect/hope Gerrard would start ahead of Henderson to be honest.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 11 Sep - 1:11

Just one of those days for us , you can argue over penalty decisions was theirs a penalty should we have had one maybe two of our own but its finished now . On to the next game and Stevie back
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 11 Sep - 8:43

The thing that was definetly the most dissapointing was Charlie Adam's performance, so far this year he has avoided trying his impossibly "Hollywood"-style passes but today he gave the ball away so much, a lot of times because he was trying for impossible balls.

The next time is going to be another hard one, I want to see Andy Carroll start ahead of Kuyt though. Tottenham despite their rocky start are a good side and they've picked up a win this weekend, and we're away from home. I wouldn't be too disheartened with a draw, but because they will be on of our main rivals this year, I think it is important we go for a win.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep - 9:57

Just checked some stats from the Stoke-Liverpool game, Stoke only attempted 237 passes (59% accuracy) and Liverpool attempted a whopping 629 (76% accuracy). Without seeing the match I can only judge on highlights and stts, but it seems Liverpool were unlucky at Stoke or didn't take their chances.

I ended up watching the Arsenal-Swansea game yesterday, both teams passed incredibly well at times (85% and 78% pass completion rates). Two of the highlights for Swansea were Joe Allen and Leon Britton who had really good games in midfield. Dyer and Sinclair looked quie threatening on the wings, but never really ammounted to much. Thought Caulker gave another good performance, the partnership of him and Williams is one that could save Swansea a lot of points. Quick point about three Arsenal players who impressed- Sagna, Ramsey and Arteta. Sagna was as much a threat going forward as he was in defence. He rarely gave the ball away and was a useful outlet for wingers to hold the ball up. Ramsey and Arteta were great to watch at times, easily the biggest part of Arsenal's game as they seemed to have the ball more than anyone else. Like Sagna they were reliable in possession and looked to create chances.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 11 Sep - 20:32

Stoke just parked an aeroplane as Mourinho would put it, they had 10 men behind the ball for most of the match.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep - 8:30

carroll just looks horribly out of form, but obviosuly not as bad as torres Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 13 Sep - 17:44

We have a tough game coming up against Spurs, but because of the dissapointing result against Stoke, I think it's important we pick up the three points at White Hart Lane, particuarly considering the fact we are competing with Tottenham and their pretty poor form.

I'd like to see us start with Carroll up front, or if Kenny really doesn't have confidence in him then have Dirk Kuyt up front, but I'm not confident in that as he comes deep a lot and we have nobody far enough upfield. I'd then like to have a three behind Carroll (Kuyt) of Suarez, Downing and Bellamy. That would mean dropping Henderson so we're less likely to play a long ball game and we have a lot of pace to attack Spurs with, and they can all switch around making man-marking difficult.

Then we have Lucas and Adam sitting back behind them, Lucas to deal with Van Der Vaart and Adam with Modric, and hopefully those two can also help doubling up on the two wingers. That's our weak spot I think, especially on the right with Bale running down there, Kelly injured, Johnson possibly injured, I think I'd start Flanagan ahead of Skrtel as he will be able to compete pace-wise with Bale better than Skrtel. If Dalglish was going to be really ruthless I suggest he drop Carragher, but he's likely to start.

I'd be happy with a scrappy 1-0 win or something like that, but hopefully we can keep up with the good football we have been playing. We'd also have Kuyt (Carroll), Henderson and Maxi as threats from the bench.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 13 Sep - 21:47

We have a tough game coming up against Spurs
Nah Spurs are a team suffering in confidence and can never rely on a good defensive performance these days, unless against muggy opposition. I'd expect Liverpool to dominate the game after signing up 4 or 5 quality players since last season..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 13 Sep - 22:03

I still think it'll be one of the more difficult games of the campaign so far.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 14 Sep - 1:25

it wont be an easy game but it's a game we have to win , we need to beating our so called rivals for the top 4 .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep - 18:26

Is it safe to say that the top three is already determined? Utd, City and Chelsea in whatever order?.....4 games in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep - 19:53

Another strange day. Arsenal concede another four goals and drop below Blackburn which really is a sad fact in itself. What is happening to the Gunners? I thought they'd struggle to make the top four and now, unless there is a dramatic change, they will do well to finish inside the top six. Is Arsene Wenger going the same way as Brian Clough?

QPR win easily and by all accounts looked good in doing so today at Molineux. Looks like their recent signings have hit the ground running. I fancied Wolves for the win today.

Villa and Newcastle both remain unbeaten. Alan Pardew is doing a pretty fine job up there and you Geordies must be pretty pleased with proceedings so far?

Excellent away win for Norwich. It's results like that that keep clubs up and that will give them plenty of confidence. It's been a tough start for Bolton and whilst I don't think they'll go down I can see a season of struggle for the Trotters myself.

Swansea finally got off the mark and ended up battering West Brom. I'd love to see the Swans stay up due to their attractive football. West Brom could also be in for a long hard slog. How long before their trigger happy board get fidgety?

A first home win for Everton should go some way in lifting the gloom above Goodison. I personally think Everton will easily finish mid-table. David Moyes is an outstanding manager. Wigan on the other hand will probably take it to the last match of the season again!

I wonder what tomorrow has in store?

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 17 Sep - 20:33

FreekShow wrote:Is Arsene Wenger going the same way as Brian Clough?

Drunk?

I don't think so

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep - 20:42

Davie wrote:
FreekShow wrote:Is Arsene Wenger going the same way as Brian Clough?

Drunk?

I don't think so

I don't drink Davie Very Happy ...unless you are referring to Mr Clough?

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat 17 Sep - 21:21

It is quite alarming that such a fundemental flaw in a football team is being overlooked by such a great manager. Wenger clearly must've been seen a different Koscielny because he is poor. Not a premiership level defender. Arsene is really facing a tough season, the toughest in his reign.

Got to say that this is the weakest Premiership season. About 5 years ago teams such as Swansea, Norwich, QPR, Wigan, Wolves, WBA woudn't have a hope's hell in staying in the league and they have such a fantastic chance now at the expense of teams such as Bolton, Blackburn, Fulham and even Everton. Not sure the league has the quality of depth it use to.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep - 21:38

legendkillar wrote:

Got to say that this is the weakest Premiership season.

https://www.606v2.com/t11375-are-we-heading-into?highlight=are+we+heading

Join the debate Legend!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 17 Sep - 23:39

Just out of curiosity I watched the Arsenal game today, and am very glad I did. In the first half Arsenal looked pretty decent, they should have put the game to bed really, conceding that goal really seemed to knock them, and then even though they got a goal back they never looked as good.

Their defence is so weak, and although it's early days Mertesacker hasn't offered them anything new or good for their side. Certainly doesn't seem to show leadership at the back. Santos looked poor defensively, putting Yakubu onside for the first and arguably the second. Arshavin just doesn't seem to be the same player he was a couple of years ago.

Koscielny is such a poor player.

Give some credit to Blackburn though who played very well, they didn't just roll over after they went behind twice, was extremly impressed with Junior Hoillet, I can't see Blackburn holding onto him much longer if he keeps playing like that, N'Zonzi looked decent and Yakubu showed the same instinct, finishing and turns that made him one of the Premier League's best strikers 4-5 years ago.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep - 23:42

What do you reckon tomorrow Leak regarding our game?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 18 Sep - 14:55

Down to 9 men , dont think Kenny's talk with Mike Riley has done much good .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 18 Sep - 19:10

Having watched the games today, it is quite alarming that 2 of the top teams in the league are having somewhat indefifferent problems. Chelsea should've won today, with the amount of chances they created. AVB does have Chelsea on the right track. The transformation of Sturridge is a positive one for England. Torres should've had a hat-trick. It was a flattering result and was much closer than the scoreline reflected.

Liverpool. Oh dear oh dear. If it wasn't for the fact that Arsenal were in turmoil, more would put on Liverpool. When they went down to 10 men, Kuyt should've gone on. This is a guy that could carry the lungs of 2 players. I think Kenny really needs to look at his squad and re-think his 11, because something is missing.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 18 Sep - 19:48

im confused about 1 thing.

Ashley Cole takes out hernandez in the box and gets booked but no penalty?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 18 Sep - 19:58

I thought the same , if it's foul and a booking then how is it not a penalty ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 18 Sep - 20:18

It's been a weekend full of goals!

Chelsea and Liverpool have a lot to work on since first thought.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 18 Sep - 21:35

fernando wrote:im confused about 1 thing.

Has there been any official explanation of this incident?

I can only see two possibilities...

1) The ref messed up REALLY badly
2) The yellow was for something Cole said afterwards rather than the tackle - but the fact the ref consulted with the linesman about it suggests that wasn't the case

I for one was really looking forward to Shrek messing up another spot kick

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 18 Sep - 21:45

Davie wrote:
fernando wrote:im confused about 1 thing.

Has there been any official explanation of this incident?

I can only see two possibilities...

1) The ref messed up REALLY badly
2) The yellow was for something Cole said afterwards rather than the tackle - but the fact the ref consulted with the linesman about it suggests that wasn't the case

I for one was really looking forward to Shrek messing up another spot kick

Apparently it was cus the ball was out of the park davie (just) when contact was made.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 18 Sep - 21:50

Thanks Sand.

If that's the case though it shows what a stupid decision it was. A tackle so late that the ball was out of play?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Sun 18 Sep - 22:02

I think it was the right decision not to give the penalty. Cole was only trying to block chicarito's shot, which went wide anyway, but it was a bad challenge and rightly booked.

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next