The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connacht - Season 2011/2012

4 posters

Go down

Connacht - Season 2011/2012 Empty Connacht - Season 2011/2012

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

A review looking at Connacht's chances in the new season. Its an interesting season for them. The Irish Rugby Union have stated they want to try to develop Connacht and help them become more competitive. That said they lost a lot of their star players in the off season and the constant revolving door there does not seem to be stopping anytime soon. The new signings will take time to settle but as always the under dog tag sits well with Connacht. Famous for big name upsets and I’ll be interested to see how they fare in their first ever HC.

New players this season:-
Dylan Rogers – Prop
Ethienne Reynecke – Hooker
George Naoupu – No 8
David Moore – Scrum Half
Paul O’Donohoe – Scrum Half
Matthew Jarvis – Fly Half
Niall O’Connor – Fly Half
Mark McCrea – Wing
Fetu’u Vainikolo – Wing
James Loxton – Wing / Full Back
Stewart Maguire – Prop
TJ Anderson – Back Row
Eoghan Grace – Back Row
Henry Fa’afili - Centre

Lots of unproven or unknown signings. They do seem to have a bigger squad this season as a result of it though. No doubt they will miss Keatley and Carr this season. Vainikolo is at the WC with Tonga but he looks a very useful signing. Think he may turn out to be a good replacement signing for Carr if he can settle into the British weather well enough. Matthew Jarvis always impressed me youth level so I expect him and Niall O’Connor to go well at 10 for them. Both are kicking fly halves but Jarvis does offer size at 6’4 and nearly 16stone. Fa’afili is a ok centre and will likely be used as the battering ram in centre. Rodgers, Reynecke & Naoupu will add a bit of strength to them at the front 8. For me though the Tongan Winger is the pick of the signings.

A possible opening lineup for a bulk of the season could be like this:-

1. B. Wilkinson
2. A. Flavin / E. Reynecke
3. R. Ah You
4. M. Swift
5. M. McCarthy / A. Browne
6. J. Muldoon
7. J. O.Connor
8. G. Naoupu

9. D. Moore
10. N. O’Connor
11. F. Vainikolo
12. H. Fa’afili
13. E. Griffin
14. M. McCrea
15. G. Duffy

Well the breakdown as always looks an area I expect Connacht to be very good at. I do have total question marks on the front 5 but if history teaches us anything its not to underestimate them. They will probably be really competitive in this area. Looking at the backline I imagine Duffy will have a key role to play for them in terms of experience. They could be dangerous if they can get the ball out to their wide men as they look useful but doubts on the centre pairing as I am not convinced they will get the ball out to them that often.

Prediction – I have got a funny feeling they may try to give the HC a good shot for the opening 2-3 games. They won’t qualify but I’m certain they wont want to be exposed at that level. In the league I cant see them doing great this year. If they reached 8 spot they would have exceeded themselves but I suspect they may end up 9/10.

Last edited by Welshmushroom on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Connacht - Season 2011/2012 Empty Re: Connacht - Season 2011/2012

Post by Irish Curry Fri 26 Aug 2011, 2:16 pm

Really hope they will do well this season as I see it 2 home wins in the HC and continuing their slow climb up the league. 8th would be a good aim which would be probably be above the two teams from Italy and Scotland. Could finish 3th in their HC group if things go their way which they hopefully will.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 26 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

Well the good news is that with the HC first round matches being pushed back because of the WC, I wouldnt imagine the weather to be great when they play the home legs. Add the wind into that equation and they have to be in with a shout to win the home matches.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 26 Aug 2011, 2:23 pm

Surely you mean season 2011/2012?
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 26 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

me and my typo's 🤦 - thats 2 in one week - at this rate ill have to stop these articles....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 26 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

Edited - None are the wiser now Smile

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:15 pm

Some quick notes:

Dylan Rodgers is in his second season with Connacht, he's not a new signing.

Andrew Browne is injured, as is Wilkinson.

Moore is probably third choice scrum half behind Murphy and POD. I expect POD to give Murphy a run for his money this season.

They've haven't increased their squad, each new signing is a replacement, the big four of Hagan, Cronin, Carr and Keatley are well known, but they've also lost Willis, O'Loughlin, Ta'auso, Nathan, McComish, Bibo, Upton and a host of others. I saw a list a while back and while they're mostly unknow outside of rugby trainspotters (ahem) it's pretty much the same size squad.

Oh, and last time I checked Galway has Irish weather! thumbsup

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:32 pm

Are Browne and Wilkinson out for the season? If not I would expect them to feature on their returns.

A minor error on the Transfers on my part. Not a bad effort for a outsider.

I count 14 in and 15 out. So infact the squad looks to have shrunk if anything. Interesting to see that Wiki is listing Cillis as retired and I did read something about it a while back. He's signed for Leinster now so im guessing it wasnt a enforced retirement originally?

It may be Irish weather...That said we have the identical weather in Wales hence the British weather remark. No offence.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:40 pm

No nonono, it's our weather! We give you the leftovers! furious

Willis has signed for us for a few months as emergency SH cover after we lost Boss and Reddan. After that I think he'll be playing semi-amateur club games.

I found the list of in's and out's if you're interested.

Connacht players in:
Props, Stewart Maguire (Leinster), Jamie Stevens (Galwegians).
Hooker, Eithienne Reynecke (Saracens/Stormers);
Backrow, George Naoupu (Kobi Steelers Japan), TJ Anderson (Ulster), Eoghan Grace (Exeter Chiefs);
Scrumhalf, Paul O’Donohoe (Leinster), David Moore (Harlequins);
Outhalf, Matthew Jarvis (Ospreys), Niall O’Connor (Ulster);
Backs, James Loxton (Cardiff Blues), Mark McCrea (Ulster), Fetu Vainikolo (Highlanders), Henry Fa’afili (Leeds).

Connacht players out:
Props, Jamie Hagan (Leinster), Rob Sweeney;
Hooker, Sean Cronin (Leinster);
Second row, Bernie Upton (Japan);
Backrow, M McComish (Ulster), Ezra Taylor
Scrumhalf, Conor O’Loughin and Cillian Willis
Outhalf, Ian Keatley (Munster),
Backs, Troy Nathan (Glasgow), Fionn Carr (Leinster), Aian Wynne, Liam Bibo, Darragh Fanning, Shane Monahan, Niva Ta’auso,

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down