The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Nation after the Tri Nations, and warm up games?

+12
aucklandlaurie
Rangiora
whocares
Taylorman
Bullsbok
Sgt_Pooly
InjuredYetAgain
disneychilly
Feckless Rogue
wales606
Biltong
Shifty
16 posters

Go down

Your Nation after the Tri Nations, and warm up games? Empty Your Nation after the Tri Nations, and warm up games?

Post by Shifty Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:49 pm

Ok the Tri Nations finished today and England Vs Ireland was the final warm up game for the 6 Nations.

How do you think your team stands?
has your team suffered injuries? And if so, how will they affect your teams chances?
have they played too many games, or not enough?
has the coach got the balance of games right?
Did he play the right countries to prepare for the World Cup?
how far will your team go in the World Cup?

Post your opinions on your own team, or any others you wish to discuss! thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Your Nation after the Tri Nations, and warm up games? Empty Re: Your Nation after the Tri Nations, and warm up games?

Post by Shifty Sat 27 Aug 2011, 5:10 pm

Wales:

Wales fans are never happy unless were beating everyone by 30 points and playing "the Welsh way".
However all in all no one can question Gatland in my eyes.

In 2009 Wales looked stale, old and tired, lacking energy and creativity. In the past 2 seasons he has introduced a lot of young players and brought them on brilliantly. Wales look dangerous and can score tries out of nothing, lapses by teams can be punished brutally, as the england and Argentina games showed.

Warburton, Lydiate and Faletau have come from nowhere to be brilliant players for Wales, and seem to form the core of a back row which could be ever present for the next 10 years.
Warburton really looks the part and Gatland has already tried to develop his leadership skills, and push him to the next level.

Scarlets fans have been worrying what they would do when Regan King leaves to go to France, yet Gatland picks a young kid called Scott williams, from the Scarlets academy and he has looked very promising so far. He made people sit up and take notice with some superb breaks against the Barbarians, he has played 4 times as a sub and Gatland looks to be bringing him on slowly, and not rushing him. He also seems to have learned from the Tom Prydie saga and not built the kid up in the press.

George North has been an inspired selection, his shimmy against Argentina had real class, putting 2 Argentina players on their backsides after causing them to collide, while drawing the third man, before passing to Alun-Wyn Jones to put him under the posts was sensational play. 8 games and 6 tries, 2 each against South Africa and England is a great start, especially since he only a couple of months ago turned 19!

What's been amazing is the change in form of some of our players since they haven't been with their regions! I never thought I;d see the day when I want Huw Bennett in our team, but after the Twickenham game he looked great and finally looks like producing the form he showed in 2003.
Mike Phillips looks like the weight of the world has come off his shoulders since leaving the Ospreys as well, and started to play well again.
Alun-Wyn Jones and Jamie Roberts also look to be coming into form at just the right time as well.

2 emotional games against England and a tough encounter against Argentina were always going to cause us damage, but also prepare us for the Island sides. Losing Matthew Rees was a terrible blow because we dont have a like for like Hooker in our team, none of our reserve hookers can throw straight in the line out which could cost us.

Personally I might of played Russia on the Tuesday when the Newport Gwent Dragons played them, just to give a few more boys a run out, it would of been a nice easy win and a chance for the backs to run a bit.
I would of also played Tonga not Argentina to get our boys used to Islander players.

Wales have a very hard group but I think Samoa and Fiji wont just have an eye on us, they also need to beat each other, and while we have a romantic history with both Islands, they will want to beat each other more than us. Secondly bearing in mind Wayne Barnes and Alain Rowlands will be the refs in our games against them, who are notoriously fussy about late and dangerous tackles, I doubt either Island side will be able to assert their rough house tactics without costly cards.
We'll lose to South Africa in the pool stage, and Australia will knock us out in the quarters.

Last edited by AlynDavies on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Your Nation after the Tri Nations, and warm up games? Empty Re: Your Nation after the Tri Nations, and warm up games?

Post by Biltong Sat 27 Aug 2011, 5:15 pm

Springboks

There are two players who would have made a big difference for our team at the RWC, but due to injury won't be there, Juan Smith ,my player of the tournament in the 2007 RWC, and Andries Bekker who in my estimation has surpassed Victor Matfield on the rugby field.

Whether the conspiracy theorists are correct in that SARU have forced the situation where PDV must accept help from Rassie Erasmus and go on the away leg and allow Rassie to get some time with the first choice players or being PDV's decisions that led to the away leg of the tri Nations to be sacraficed, I think they got it wrong.

Sending a squad over to Australasia where your forward pack has 6 inexperienced players against the two best teams in the world was suicide, added to that the fact that the backline weren't well practiced or have not regularly played together showed in the totally disorganised defence. As a result some players that went on that tour has missed out on RWC selection.

Then to the first choice team only having two matches to get ready and be under pressure for some results was not ideal.

The fact was after 7 weeks of no rugby there were going to be rustiness and it showed in the fact that they spilled many chances to score tries as their execution let them down with a few wrong decision making processes as well.
The first time tackling showed signs that there is still work needed to be done on defence, but then the scrambling defence was brilliant.

On to the last match the Boks had no choice but to win, what they did show for the first time in 2 years was some intensity and urgency, Morne Steyn needed to perform in that test as he was dangerously close to being culled.

Two areas need work before we reach te knock out stages, defensive alignment, especially in the channel between fourie du Preez who has missed a number of tackles and is not yet at his best, and Morne Steyn who seemed hesitant to commit to the tackle against Quade Cooper, this doesn't bode well for us as the whole backline effectively drifts in to cover his mistakes and that creates space on the outside.

The other area would be some innovation and some variation in attack, not suggesting we should do what the all Blacks do from their 22, but something different and unexpected on attack in the opponents half.

Apart from that I don't think we have many weaknesses.

On the squad selection there were some suprises, I was very happy about Johann Muller being selected as Flip v d Merwe, Allistair Hargreaves and Greyling has not impressed me with enough of the physical stuff. Not sure whether I am happy with the selection of butch James and Ruan Pienaar, James proved in the Australia match that when Quade Cooper kept pinning us back in our half in the end, he had nothing to offer. Ruan Pienaar seems low on confidence and he is a confidence player.

Ndungane is a solid player, but Mvovo can count himself unlucky not to be in the squad, he is defensively stronger, better finisher, but I guess PDV opted for experience.

A total of 18 players who were in the 30 for 2007 has been called up so there is plenty of experience.

Overall I am confident that we should reach the Semi final, and there anyhting could happen, we have a very good record against NZ since the last RWC, and although the match could be a total blowout, it could also be one of those where we manage to shut them down and win. Of all the natrions the all Blacks seem to struggle with our "boring" game plan the most.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 27 Aug 2011, 5:28 pm

Wales

How do you think your team stands?

Pretty well, considering the terrible losing streak we went into the 6Ns with, we now have 5 wins from 7 (losing away to France and England) and the team looks very settled and well prepared - I think Gatland likes having a full pre-season as he used to with Wasps

Has your team suffered injuries? And if so, how will they affect your teams chances?

Some big ones, losing our captain and best Hooker Rees, our second best hooker Hibbard and our backup/creative/potential centre, Gavin Henson. For me the biggest blow was losing Morgan Stoddart who would now defiently start at fullback if he were fit.

have they played too many games, or not enough?

Perfect number I think, they have played big physical sides that will prepare them for the group, I would have liked to see a Wales A game against a region/2nd tier international side just to test other player (eg. Josh Turnball)

Has the coach got the balance of games right?

Yes, as said, physical high intensity and must win games that have put pressure on players performance. Telling them they must beat England to contend at the WC was a risky strategy, that paid off.

Did he play the right countries to prepare for the World Cup?

Yup, although I agree that a game against Tonga would have been useful.

How far will your team go in the World Cup?

1/4s, however, a win against SA or Aus would see us in a semi - 2 shots at it (barring another lose to a SS Islander.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 27 Aug 2011, 6:23 pm

Let's just say that any Irish fan with any sense will not be going into this tournament with high expectations.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Sat 27 Aug 2011, 8:37 pm

New Zealand

Doesn't matter where we stand, we'll **** it up somehow.

I'd write this regardless of this morning's result.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sat 27 Aug 2011, 9:10 pm

Scotland
It's been a funny warm-up series for all the nations. In isolation, I don't think we are playing that well and would like to have see one more game. However, on a comparison basis, I haven't seen too much from Arg/England to give me sleepless nights. I probably feel a little bit more confident now than I did a month ago.
That said, I think all teams are keeping something up their sleeve.
Because we only had 2 warm-up games, there wasn't the chance for anyone to get injured apart from Nikki Walker and while he did run some good lines against Italy, I don't think he would ever have been more than a holder of tackle-bags at the WC.
My biggest concern is that we don't know our best team e.g. who to pair at lock and in the centre and will they go for the steady hand of CP at full back or Rory Lamont.
I think we will be beaten by England, beat the Argies but then get pumped by the Kiwis who will have sneaked past France at the last minute having given us false hope that France would actually have won the group and played us in the QF

Last edited by InjuredYetAgain on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : What on earth is a tackle-bog????)

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 27 Aug 2011, 9:29 pm

"Wales look dangerous and can score tries out of nothing, lapses by teams can be punished brutally, as the england and Argentina games showed."

Or another view....Wales looked well beaten for the majority of the England game and for a fair bit of the Arg. They lacked possession and territory and some could say were lucky to get such breaks.

The Welsh to me look poor and won't last much longer after the group stages. You can only play so long without controlling a game and Wales can't seem to do that. I think a couple of moments of individual brilliance have papered over what is a poor Welsh side.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 27 Aug 2011, 9:32 pm

True biltong , if GH had his way up and unders would be banned , penalties would be reduced to 2 points and of course kicking penalties from inside your own half would be illegal Very Happy
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:29 pm

Disney........naughty chair... boxing

Bullsbok...excellent idea... we'll arrange an urgent IRB meeting next week. With your support we can still get those rules in for 9 Sept opening. OK

To both Aus and SA...thanks for our motivation...
Wallaby randy Kiwi
Springbok randy Kiwi

the sum of which... Kiwi randy Wallaby Springbok Braveheart Leprechaun Chief Wales

Love those emoticons...!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:31 pm

Hope your guys are going to use some protection, this being 2011 after all. Ok!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:34 pm

Cool kids wear lids Biltong.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:46 pm

Speaking of...(and keeping it rugby)...

Guy (An Oz rugby fan of course) goes to his girlfriends place to find his sexy sister waiting for him naked, wanting him...

He immediately turns around and walks out. Goes out to the car (with the Wallaby logo on it- (Rugby...)) and gets a surprising hug from his girlfriend who tells him she loves him as he passed her test...

Morale of the story.....

keep your protection in the CAR and not in your back pocket...

(Apparently works for Irish rugby players too)

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:17 pm

Taylorman wrote:Disney........naughty chair... boxing

Bullsbok...excellent idea... we'll arrange an urgent IRB meeting next week. With your support we can still get those rules in for 9 Sept opening. OK

Wallaby randy Kiwi
Springbok randy Kiwi

the sum of which... Kiwi randy Wallaby Springbok Braveheart Leprechaun Chief Wales

Love those emoticons...!

hahahahah touche Taylor
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:19 am

Taylorman wrote:Disney........naughty chair... boxing

Wallaby randy Kiwi
Springbok randy Kiwi

Love those emoticons...!

what is the Chief emoticon for?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:23 am

Anyone know if Cooper's going to get cited for that knee to McCaw's head?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:34 am

Disney, whats his prob with McCaw anyway. He's like a magnet to the guy. Physically he'd get squashed. He's lucky McCaw doesnt peg him one. Someone will sooner or later. Putting one across the AB Captain can't go well with the boys. I'd watch it if I were he...Mr defensive extraordinaire.

Anyway,
Had GH been able to wait for yesterdays match to select the team, what changes do you think he'd have made.?

Gear for Guilford maybe?

Any others?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:48 am

disneychilly wrote:Anyone know if Cooper's going to get cited for that knee to McCaw's head?

Yes hearing at 4 pm OZ time

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:12 am

Disney
Quade Cooper's hearing is in 4hours time.....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 29 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

He got off but man I just think the guy is a (insert feline gynaelogical description here). Cheap shot after cheap shot, and yet the bloke isn't man enough to take his place in the defensive line, rather letting Ioane take the runners.

I hope the guy gets pummelled in the Cup and then has Andrew Sheridan sit on him. Then fart.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 29 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

disneychilly wrote:He got off but man I just think the guy is a (insert feline gynaelogical description here). Cheap shot after cheap shot, and yet the bloke isn't man enough to take his place in the defensive line, rather letting Ioane take the runners.

I hope the guy gets pummelled in the Cup and then has Andrew Sheridan sit on him. Then fart.

Rolling Eyes

Hi, disney had a good weekend?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 29 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

Taylorman wrote:Speaking of...(and keeping it rugby)...
Guy (An Oz rugby fan of course) goes to his girlfriends place to find his sexy sister waiting for him naked, wanting him...
He immediately turns around and walks out. Goes out to the car (with the Wallaby logo on it- (Rugby...)) and gets a surprising hug from his girlfriend who tells him she loves him as he passed her test...
Morale of the story.....
Ok... Headscratch
So a guy goes into his girlfriends house, but finds his naked sister in bed waiting for him...

Moral of the story? smack the filthy, incestuous skank over the head, then tell her the potential consequences of randy her own brother!
Then when outside and smack your cheating, slapper of a girlfriend over the head, and ask hey WHY your sister is naked in her bed!
Finally go to your parents house crying, and explain you found your sister, in your girlfriend's bed, so you get the slut gets taken out of your parents will, so you gain all the inheritance! angel

It not much of a test, most of us wouldn't bang our own sisters! Ok!

Last edited by AlynDavies on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 3:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 29 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

Ok!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Mon 29 Aug 2011, 3:07 pm

I had awful trouble reading that the first time.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Mon 29 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

England.
Mixed. Have shown some good attacking flair, however the Wales game was painful to watch.
Physically we're in good shape. Our pack has some very very good players, good mix of gnarled old forward (Shaw, Easter, Thompson) and youth and flair. (Hartley, Croft, Lawes)
With Tuilagi, Ashton, Armitage and Foden we have some very dangerous and attacking players, and Johnny looks like he can run a backline for once.
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say final.
It's going to be very intresting, as this side has been blowing hot and cold.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 29 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

flankertye wrote:England.
Mixed. Have shown some good attacking flair, however the Wales game was painful to watch.
Physically we're in good shape. Our pack has some very very good players, good mix of gnarled old forward (Shaw, Easter, Thompson) and youth and flair. (Hartley, Croft, Lawes)
With Tuilagi, Ashton, Armitage and Foden we have some very dangerous and attacking players, and Johnny looks like he can run a backline for once.
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say final.
It's going to be very intresting, as this side has been blowing hot and cold.

Your Nation after the Tri Nations, and warm up games? Offtop10
But probably the only decent post on this topic for ages. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 29 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

Hey Biltong, ha wasn't bad actually. Went to the Ireland England game too and caught some z's there before hitting the black stuff again Very Happy

How was yours mate?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 29 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

boring the wife refused that i go riding my motorcycle on sunday so I had to stay home.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:05 am

Regarding the Wallabies, I still have doubts whether we are consistent enough to make it through to the podium. Two wins to finish the 3Ns, which were uncharacteristically based more on forward effort and defense than back line attack was encouraging, but each big game starting from Ireland on will come with doubts for me. We knew their good was good, but it's the off games that have been as much a feature of them to this point.

We will also remain dependent on 6 or 7 injured / returning blokes making it back to form and fitness if we are going to genuinely challenge. The bench we have taken into the trinations doesnt match the quality of other teams, but TPN, Slipper, Palu, Mitchell, Sharpe, Joc and Barnes would offer more power and creative options as required. It's a long way from oz club rugby to RWC, so we will have to hope they can do it.

The biggest positive (apart from no Dean Mumm obviously) has been the performance of the tight five. The biggest disappointment being the lack of progress in kicking.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:36 am

AlynDavies wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Speaking of...(and keeping it rugby)...
Morale of the story.....
Ok... Headscratch
So a guy goes into his girlfriends house, but finds his naked sister in bed waiting for him...

Moral of the story? smack the filthy, incestuous skank over the head, then tell her the potential consequences of randy her own brother!
Then when outside and smack your cheating, slapper of a girlfriend over the head, and ask hey WHY your sister is naked in her bed!
Finally go to your parents house crying, and explain you found your sister, in your girlfriend's bed, so you get the slut gets taken out of your parents will, so you gain all the inheritance! angel

It not much of a test, most of us wouldn't bang our own sisters! Ok!

gee the word typo would have been a quicker summation but i actually enjoyed the long winded rant better than the joke.
Well done.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 30 Aug 2011, 7:22 am

Taylorman wrote:gee the word typo would have been a quicker summation but i actually enjoyed the long winded rant better than the joke.
Well done.

Thank you very much. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:44 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:"Wales look dangerous and can score tries out of nothing, lapses by teams can be punished brutally, as the england and Argentina games showed."

Or another view....Wales looked well beaten for the majority of the England game and for a fair bit of the Arg. They lacked possession and territory and some could say were lucky to get such breaks.

The Welsh to me look poor and won't last much longer after the group stages. You can only play so long without controlling a game and Wales can't seem to do that. I think a couple of moments of individual brilliance have papered over what is a poor Welsh side.

There's a lot of truth here. We haven't been in control of any of our warm-up matches, which has to be a concern even though we won two of them.

Our defence has been a positive, but you don't need me to point out that England's attack wasn't the greatest at the Millennium Stadium.

In summation, I'm more optimistic about the World Cup now than I was after the Six Nations (when we were poor), but it's clear that we have no chance of winning the thing.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down