The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Entertainment or Sport?

4 posters

Go down

Entertainment or Sport? Empty Entertainment or Sport?

Post by Adam D Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 am

As we all know, the WWE decided to change its moniker to "sports entertainment" and in that time has also changed to a more kid friendly product.

Now I am not saying that there wasnt always something there for kids but the current product makes no illusions to actually being a contest. During this time, sporrts such as MMA have taken over as the "adult" replacement for men grappling.

Yes we all know that wrestling is scripted and that the punches arent real but I feel that the movement towards making it "entertainment" has taken away something from the product.

Let me explain - how often do we see matches ending in a deliberate DQ by someone. How often do we see A-Ri or Zach Ryder getting jobbed? What impact do any of these occurences have on a "entertainers" career - nothing! Next week, they A-Ri will once again job to a headline star.

So what am I suggesting?

Well, how about a move towards sport again - have a ranking system that contenders move up and down with wins and losses. Yes, if Ziggler loses again, he drops down the list. It adds a certain unpredictability to the events - if the result makes no difference, why bother wrestling at all?

If my memory serves me right, the old (and I mean late night ITV, AA Arn Anderson era) WCW used to have a ranking system. TNA recently did it with Kurt Angle. For me, I think it adds a little bit of "must win" edge to it.

So do you think that with a few tweaks that the product would improve and that the product could reclaim some adult demographic?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Entertainment or Sport? Empty Re: Entertainment or Sport?

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:25 am

I think a ranking system would be good for the US or IC titles as very often there aren't any proper storylines associated with these titles, they just switch from one guy to the next with little or no fanfare.

TNA's ranking system was flawed because they decided to allow the fans to vote online but also added the stipulation that the votes would only 'contribute to the decisions of management' meaning that the bosses would pick their own #1 contender regardless of who the fans voted for. There was no way of knowing what affected a wrestler's standing in the rankings either, Desmond Wolfe was #1 for a while but never got a sniff.

It was only when the rankings became a vehicle for a Kurt Angle storyline that we got the impression of someone actually moving up the rankings. But the angle was too rushed, there'd be a match on Impact and they'd just announce "Oh by the way, this is for ranking in the #1 contender's list".

I don't think a ranking system would help get MMA converts back into wrestling though, the problems run deeper than that.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:31 am

I agree that it wont win fans from MMA but it could attract back some of the audience who have given up on wrestling.

At the moment, results do not play any part in career advancement. Therefore, we dont really care who wins. Therefore, matches become...well....boring.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:32 am

Like the idea alot Hobo. As long as it was relatively simple system and well explained, and stuck to, it could be exciting to see. And makes it easier to give someone a push, have them winning 5 or 6 big matches in a row and climbing from say 8th in the ranking system to the top 3.
I can never see the WWE using it though since it woud seem like they are copying TNA.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 am

Am I right in remembering that WCW used to have a ranking system for the TV title?

I am sure I remember this being mentioned a lot.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:00 pm

This was on the dirtsheets a few days ago regarding 'sports entertainment'

Alex Riley appeared alongside WWE Champion The Miz on Comcast Sports Net Saturday night and accidentally said the word 'wrestling' while discussing NXT. He quickly corrected himself. It sounds crazy but 'wrestling' is a major no-no when it comes to talking about WWE. 'Sports Entertainment' is the correct term that management insists their talent use.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down