The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It never rains but it pours

+5
bogbrush
Danny_1982
Josiah Maiestas
pauline1981
newballs
9 posters

Go down

It never rains but it pours Empty It never rains but it pours

Post by newballs Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

I used to believe it was the TV networks that determined who played when but, surprise,surprise it was the New York weather after all.

Seems Andy's match has been switched from Ashe and he faces (an unlikely) four matches in five days if the original schedule were to be followed.

Factoring in Super Saturday and the vagaries of the organisers no surprise that this lottery of a tournament could well have a men's final on Monday for a fourth consecutive year. Let's just hope they've learned from previous lessons and that we don't end up with the scenario of one player having an unfair advantage of much more rest than the other.

Djkokovic and Federer are already relaxing with their feet up in the QF. Bet Nadal and Murray are hoping for clearer weather ahead.

Anyone vote for a roof?

newballs

Back to top Go down

It never rains but it pours Empty Re: It never rains but it pours

Post by pauline1981 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:45 pm

newballs wrote:I used to believe it was the TV networks that determined who played when but, surprise,surprise it was the New York weather after all.

Seems Andy's match has been switched from Ashe and he faces (an unlikely) four matches in five days if the original schedule were to be followed.

Factoring in Super Saturday and the vagaries of the organisers no surprise that this lottery of a tournament could well have a men's final on Monday for a fourth consecutive year. Let's just hope they've learned from previous lessons and that we don't end up with the scenario of one player having an unfair advantage of much more rest than the other.

Djkokovic and Federer are already relaxing with their feet up in the QF. Bet Nadal and Murray are hoping for clearer weather ahead.

Anyone vote for a roof?
making exuces for murray and nadal !

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

How will they get a roof big enough to cover Arthur Ashe??
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

pauline1981 wrote:
newballs wrote:I used to believe it was the TV networks that determined who played when but, surprise,surprise it was the New York weather after all.

Anyone vote for a roof?

It's not an excuse, its a perfectly valid reason for why Nadal/Murray are less likely to win than this title than Djoko/Federer. You can't possibly say otherwise.

If (and it's still an 'if') the schedule goes as the organisers want, the finalist from one half of the draw will have 4 matches in 5 days and the other finalist will have 3 matches in 5 days, I know which one I'd go for.

They should move the final to the Monday now in my opinion. It would make for a far more even playing field, and consequently a better final... Which is what we all want, isn't it?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:55 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
pauline1981 wrote:

Anyone vote for a roof?

It's not an excuse, its a perfectly valid reason for why Nadal/Murray are less likely to win than this title than Djoko/Federer. You can't possibly say otherwise.

If (and it's still an 'if') the schedule goes as the organisers want, the finalist from one half of the draw will have 4 matches in 5 days and the other finalist will have 3 matches in 5 days, I know which one I'd go for.

They should move the final to the Monday now in my opinion. It would make for a far more even playing field, and consequently a better final... Which is what we all want, isn't it?

i agree if you

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

Last year Nadal had the gigantic advantage of an easy semi played BEFORE Federer and Djokovic knocked seven shades of **** out of each other. Only the rain mitigated the ridiculous advantage which would have led to a complete joke of a final, but still Djokovic was handicapped.

Fair's fair.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:34 pm

The way things are heading it wouldn't surprise me if the US Open organizers schedule in the Men's Final before the semis. Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:49 pm

Anyone know if the weather is clear now? Is play going to start at in the next 20 mins, or will there a delay?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:52 pm

Hi Danny,

I think it's already been put back an hour, and the forecast is not good.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Faust Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:58 pm

There might be some on and off play between
1pm and 9pm NY time.

Faust

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:05 pm

Cheers Faust, good to have a local perspective.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:18 pm

What a screw up - as I've said elsewhere, they should be relatively comfortable with all the women's and mens R16 matches played (excusing the Tuesday washout), so that there are another 7 matches each in the womens' and mens' tournaments (QF through to F) with each player facing similar hardships.

In fact they've got to schedule 11 more men's matches and more 7 women's matches, with the finalist from the Murray/Nadal side facing 4 more best-of-five matches before a Sunday or Monday final.

Even with this screw-up they've left room for more lop-sided difficulties to develop given that the forecast is still awful for today.

* The Isner/Simon R16 match is on 2nd at Grandstand after Murray/Young R16, and the Djoko/Tipsy QF is on 2nd at Arthur Ashe after Nadal/Muller R16 so it is possible that Isner/Simon R16 will remain unfinished before the winner of Djokko/Tipsy has booked his SF place.

* They have singled out the Williams and Fed QF's for the 'evening' session at Arthur Ashe so it is possible, even likely, that those will complete after the other QF's (much worse for the Williams match than the Fed match obviously).

* You'd think that they'd put Isner/Simon on an outside Court at the same time as the other mens' R16 matches and make sure that both 'evening' session matches at Arthur Ashe were the early men's QF reducing the risk of further lop-sided unfairness for the women's draw and leaving the more likely result of delay to be an evening out of the mens' draw wouldn't you?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:24 pm

My children,

Do not despair..

For the first time in a millenium I shall perform the 'stop the rain' dance.

Alas, I do not take this decision lightly. It is with a heavy heart.. for indeed such an immense display of power may drain my reserves.

I had hoped to save some energy for the 'stop the Djokovic' dance on Saturday, but it is what it is; desperate times call for desperate measures...

Wooooooooooooooe unto meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ghost

ps. I must now prepare.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:31 pm

Lucky Irene allowed play on the first Monday. Imagine if it had landed on Monday!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:39 pm

barrystar my sentiments entirely. The organisers don't appear to think ahead and ensure that they buy themselves some time. Even without the roof Wimbledon was able to cope with a couple of days play lost through rain (unless right at the tail end of the tournament).

The fact that half of the fourth round in the mens need playing means that, if there were another washout today, some of them would be potentially scheduled to play every day. That obviously isn't going to happen.

It's frankly about time that they put the players interest first and ensure that these 4th round matches all get played first.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Faust Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:39 pm

Rain has stopped..for the moment.

Faust

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:40 pm

emancipator - it worked!!!

Rain has stopped and they are drying the courts. They hope to start play within half an hour.

Let us hope that the rain stays away for a while.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm

zen

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:51 pm

Hurricane season baby angel
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:55 pm

Hello

Very Happy

emancipator - Intergalactic weather controller!

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:51 pm

emancipator - Intergalactic weather controller...

Dance.... Please dance!!!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:08 pm

Hello

Very Happy

emancipator - Lord of Climate

ghost

Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:42 pm

emancipator - Your dance didn't work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:52 pm

Y I Man wrote:emancipator - Your dance didn't work.
I heard he got struck by lightning. Very sad Sad .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:54 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
Y I Man wrote:emancipator - Your dance didn't work.
I heard he got struck by lightning. Very sad Sad .
ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down