The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland - the 10/15 conundrum

+8
Redrage
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
21st Century Schizoid Man
RuggerRadge2611
flyhalffactory
funnyExiledScot
Imperialbigdave
Manky-Flanker
12 posters

Go down

Scotland - the 10/15 conundrum Empty Scotland - the 10/15 conundrum

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 17:33

2 games, 2 victories, 1 bonus point win. Before the tournament started many Scotland fans would have been happy with that going into the 2 tougher tests ahead.

When Jackson started we scored 4 tries, when Parks started we scored zero (albeit in wet conditions). Now I am not wholly convinced by Jackson yet (not even at club level) but I suspect he will be selected for the Argentina match to give the backs more impetus.

However his selection at 10 has repercussions for 15. Jackson at 10 means Paterson at 15, as he will take on the kicking for points burden (Jackson's kicking success rate being deemed too low). Now I feel that Rory Lamont offers more at 15 with ball in hand, especially on the counter attack. However he cannot fill in kicking duties as Paterson can.

So which combo do most Scotland fans prefer?:

1) Jackson at 10, CP at 15
2) Parks at 10, Lamont at 15

and for the sake of symmetry, which would you most like to avoid?:
3) CP at 10, Lamont at 15
4) Jackson at 10, Lamont at 15

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Scotland - the 10/15 conundrum Empty Re: Scotland - the 10/15 conundrum

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 18:51

If wed taken Laidlaw, it wouldnt matter as hes been the best kicker in scotland this year.

But as we havent, Id take Jackson and Paterson, with Ramont taking slamonts place on the wing, slamont moving in to 12, and Morrison catching the next flight home.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 19:17

Laidlaw has been on form but I think his lack of test experience counted against him. I think Laidlaw only has 2 caps - don't quote me on that though.

Agree jackson/paterson will likely be picked for argentina

I did notice today Morrison often seemed to check his stride just before receiving the ball which killed his momentum. Must do better.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 19:48

It's Jackson and Paterson for me, with Rory Lamont on the bench.

I share the reservations people have about Jackson, believe me, but we won't beat Argentina playing the way we did today.

We need the forward effort we had today, coupled with the backs performance we had against Romania.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 19:57

Manky

I hope only having two warm up games doesn't bite us on our derrirere. We could have looked a couple of additional combos and maybe played Beattie into form, and given Jackson another high pressure warm up game.

So many things dictate the half back back partnership and the FB slot is often dependant on the wings not the flyhalf. Conditions/Opponents dictated our play today, plus the 4 day turnaround. I have reservations about Jackson still, but we need someone who can open up the tight and narrow Argentinian defence.

I would agree with BigDave here ............Morrison looked poor today.

We now have eleven days to get the guys into form and fitness but based on the last two games I would select the following backs for Argentina

15 Paterson
14 Evans or Rory
11 Danielli

13 Ansbro
12 Schlong

10 Jackson
9 ??
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 20:42

Whilst I agree with everything that has been said and I also concede the team we brought to the world cup is the team we have. I am one of Jackson's biggest fans and really like what he brings to the table especially when compared to Parks. However I don't know how long we can keep Jackson wrapped up in cotton wool. This is the world cup and he has nailed pressure kicks in test matches before (Samoa in Aberdeen springs to mind) .

When the 6N starts next year Robinson has a choice of fly halves weir, laidlaw or Jackson since desperate will most likely retire, and he will have to chose between the 3 and one of them will have to step up to the kicking plate too since Mossy is likely to retire as well.

I take some comfort that whoever is picked they'll do a better job from the tee than Mirco for Italy.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 20:48

Tricky one but really Parks was in part bloody awful today (viz. his pathetic and cowardly attempt to kick the ball dead for HT) and quite useful with some judicious place licking later in the game- and his well judged drop goal. Jackson can kick (i.e. he nailed that long distance, last minute penalty v Samoa) but cannot be relied upon. Having said that he can make and take a tackle and pass the ball - something that is anathema to Parks' limited game. Not many vaunted kickers have had a good time this RWC - i.e Paterson, Carter, Wilkinson, Contepomi etc. Even the Georgian kicker today fluffed a few. Think we have to go with Jackson at FH and R Lamont at FB with CP on the bench as cover for 10 and 15. Remains a tricky one for Andy R. Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 20:56

Imperialbigdave wrote:But as we havent, Id take Jackson and Paterson, with Ramont taking slamonts place on the wing, slamont moving in to 12, and Morrison catching the next flight home.
+1

Altho to be fair to Parks (can't quite believe I'm speaking up for Desparate) 2 of the tries scored against Romania were with him at 10!

I honestly believe that the problem lies at both 10&12 as IBD has pointed out - the Parks/Morrison axis does not get our backline moving anything like as smoothly as the Jackson/Schlong pairing - it's a no brainer for me. I'm also inclined to agree that we can't wrap cotton wool around Jackson any more - if he is the best option at 10, I don't want us to be selecting 15 cos of that, I'd much rather see us pick the right fullback, whether that's Mossy or Ramont - if the latter, time for Jackson to man-up to the job of kicking at this level. Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 22:44

Paterson missed a few kicks himself against the Romanians, so I agree with ALAB100oU - the best players for that position should be picked. I'd rather Lomont at 15, but I would also rather his brother at 12. So there is room for Paterson on the wing if need be, would be harsh on Danielli but an option. I wasn't impressed with Parks today, I'd rather see Jackson start against Argentina.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 22:55

As an aside, anyone else think Rennie might have edged above Barclay in the pecking order for the number 7 jersey?

I'd start him ahead of Barclay against argentina based on todays performance.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 23:25

I would say Rennie has possession of the jersey at the minute, or at least he should have. A world cup is all about the here and now, Rennie is playing very well, Barclay hasn't looked as sharp (perhaps Robinson's fault for giving him such a lay off). They are two very good open sides to have at our disposal, we won't be crying about one getting picked over the other if the one picked plays as well as we know they can.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 23:31

Redrage

Agree with you Rennie is the form player, and more importantly he had a good game against a side which AR thinks are most like Argentina, but...... Barclay has played much better in the not to distant past. AR suggests he will picks on form, but doesn't generally, it'll be "horses for courses". I'll will be happy with either player starting.

I think that 11 days (rest) is a long time in WC rugby and we yet might see a few suprises.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 1:12

flyhalffactory wrote: AR suggests he will picks on form

Whistle
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 8:15

I think that Barclay and Rennie offer slightly different approaches in the 'fetcher' mould - both excel at the breakdown, the former over the ball on the ground, the latter in the maul situation (altho that is not to say they are at all weak at the other skill). Both do sterling defensive work, miss very few tackles, and are strong with ball in hand in the wider open spaces when the structure of the game breaks down a wee bit. It's great to have the options - it will be interesting to see which Robbo prefers vs Arg and vs Eng (might not even be the same player) Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 8:22

I don't know if it's Edinburgh bias (it most likely is) but I would start with Rennie. Barclay is an outstanding player but I don't think he has been the same man since he was cuffed by Warburton in the 6N.

He is IMO trying a wee bit too hard and sailing very close to the wind at the moment and hence why he is givign away some soft penalties. However I reckon that wa due to the way Pearson was reffing the breakdown against Romania. I personaly don't think he did much wrong.

Either way we have 2 very good opensides, neither one would discgrace themselves for Scotland so whoever is picked I'll be happy. My choice would be Rennie though.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 10:46

I think Barclay will start against Argentina and that would be my call as well. I'd play him with Strokosch and Brown, and have Vernon on the bench as an impact sub. We may need Vernon if we have to open up the game and score a try late on. He showed against Romania what he brings to the table in an open game, he's quicker than most of the backs.

Rennie should then play against England. He deserves it, and we lose very little between him and Barclay.

I have no issue with AR not picking the same side for both of the next two fixtures. It's not like last time when we had a clear 1st XV for Italy and a B side for New Zealand. Players like Murray, Hamilton, Rennie, Vernon, Lawson, Morrison, NDL and R Lamont probably won't start against Argentina, but are not far at all from the incumbents, and in some cases (Rennie and NDL) are in better form.

As for the whole Jackson being wrapped in cotton wool thing. It would be utter utter madness to have Jackson as the designated kicker against Argentina. He has not proven himself anywhere at any time capable of reaching the standards of consistency required to kick at international level. Any Glasgow fan will tell you that. It would be an absolute gift to Argentina. Jackson should start at 10, but CP must play at 15 and take the kicks. Argentina are without a top class kicker, we should seek to capitalise, not gift them parity in that regard.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 16:27

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think Barclay will start against Argentina and that would be my call as well. I'd play him with Strokosch and Brown, and have Vernon on the bench as an impact sub. We may need Vernon if we have to open up the game and score a try late on. He showed against Romania what he brings to the table in an open game, he's quicker than most of the backs.

Rennie should then play against England. He deserves it, and we lose very little between him and Barclay.

I have no issue with AR not picking the same side for both of the next two fixtures. It's not like last time when we had a clear 1st XV for Italy and a B side for New Zealand. Players like Murray, Hamilton, Rennie, Vernon, Lawson, Morrison, NDL and R Lamont probably won't start against Argentina, but are not far at all from the incumbents, and in some cases (Rennie and NDL) are in better form.

As for the whole Jackson being wrapped in cotton wool thing. It would be utter utter madness to have Jackson as the designated kicker against Argentina. He has not proven himself anywhere at any time capable of reaching the standards of consistency required to kick at international level. Any Glasgow fan will tell you that. It would be an absolute gift to Argentina. Jackson should start at 10, but CP must play at 15 and take the kicks. Argentina are without a top class kicker, we should seek to capitalise, not gift them parity in that regard.

As usual, I agree with His FESness.

The best combo at the beginning of matches is actually almost always Jackson and Paterson because if CPs geriatric legs are starting to slow then you can bring on Rory for some biff. If the game is tight at that stage, then Parks should be on anyway to get field position and crack over a drop goal (say what you like about him, but 15 international drop goals is a reasonable record). So I find that a Jacko/Mossy combination intuitively suits a starting berth.

And one thing's for damn sure - Jackson is just not reliable enough at this level as a goalkicker. The next two games will be won by nine points or less. Let's not beat around the bush - his goal kicking at Glasgow has been weak - I would be surprised if his success rate is much over 60% over the season and it seems that all kickers are having enough trouble in this tournament.

In terms of open sides, I think that you have to be erring on the side of being partisan to suggest that the incumbent of that shirt should still be Barclay. Rennie has shown he has the size and nous to compete with anyone he has played to date and I would start him against the Pumas. If he gets even better, then he deserves to start against England. If he wanes, then I really fancy Barclays against an injured Moody or whichever non-fetcher England pitch up with.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 17:18

Some cracking points made. Really enjoyed reading it all. I'm plumping for Jackson and Mossy. Next year is next year and we need to top this group. Undoubtedly that will go down to points ie. kicks.

I'm not sure Shlong will get the 12 shirt either, even if its only for the Pumas game. Morrison is a Robbo favourite and a defensive system mainstay. Contepomi is a clever bugger too.

I agree Morrsion limits us on the offensive; but boy o boy we need him when the Pumas have the ball. And they are sure to have plenty.

I'd like to have seen De Luca at 13, Evans at 11 and Ansbro at 14 in one of the games so far (including the warm ups).

But we're not going to see that now, so my back line has to be:

10. Jackson
11. S Lamont
12. Morrison
13. Ansbro
14. Evans
15. Paterson

Bench: Parks and De Luca

I would love to make room for Rory. Its fantastic to see him fit and raring to go. But Mossy is playing well in my opinion and offers more than just his kicking, not least his great support for Wee Max.

But I agree Rory has got to be gutted that Jackson can't kick.

Slightly surprised no-one has pointed out the other selection conundrum in the pack.

KELLOCK AND GRAY ARE NOT HARD ENOUGH! PICK HAMILTON OR HYNES AND PLAY ONE OF THE BIG BLONDES AS AN IMPACT.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 17:21

BTW - is the Scotsman employing some journalistic licence when they allude to Robbo 'having a word' with Euan about next Sunday?

http://sport.scotsman.com/rugby/Andy-Robinson-happy-to-39win.6836614.jp

Would be a nice guy to have around in the mood he was in against Georgia, wouldn't he?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 17:57

Nickj - Contepomi is out the World Cup I think. A shame to lose such a talent, but there's a silver lining there for Scotland.

I raised the second row selection on another thread. My choice would be to have Hines and Gray play together, with Kellock on the bench. Hamilton to start behind Murray to attack Corbisiero in the England game.

Cross played really well in the warm-up game and did well in the 6 Nations. I have always maintained that Murray is our best prop, but Cross is no bad replacement, and hopefully Murray can store up enough aggression to own the English front row in the last match. Cross has an awesome work rate and we'll need that to counter the countless pick and drives we'll likely face against Argentina.

Hope the stag was a success!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 18:09

Not a bad shout nickj but after the Georgia game, I think Morrison has to be left out. He offers nothing really, and there were better defensive displays from the other backs.

It's a tough one and it all boils down to strengths of the opposition.

Argentina offer no real attacking flair in the backs - it's all forward domination so we don't need our best tacklers for the game.

Backs against Argentina for me would be:

Cusiter
Jackson
R Lamont
S Lamont
Ansboro
Evans
Paterson

For the England match, I'd have:

Blair
Parks (god Sad )
Danielli
S Lamont
De Luca
Evans
R Lamont

Should be well matched enough in both games.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 19:03

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

- it's all forward domination so we don't need our best tacklers for the game.

.....now there's a sentiment that could easily turn round and bite you on the backside Smile

FES, I don't think Contepomi is out of the world cup, he's just going to miss the next game against Romania.

Last edited by Manky-Flanker on Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 22:00; edited 1 time in total

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 15 Sep 2011 - 21:43

I thought Lamont had a great game at FB, I am no fan of D Parks he can win you tight game from his kicking but he does not get the back line going and no cutting edge. I would put Parks on the bench for the end of a tight game that may rely on a drop or penalty. I find watching Scotland the ball is dropped too often and the flyhalf can't be blamed for poor skills, Scotland must put their backs on the park i.e., both Lamont's, Patterson and Evans but not start with Parks.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 8:54

glamorganalun wrote:I thought Lamont had a great game at FB, I am no fan of D Parks he can win you tight game from his kicking but he does not get the back line going and no cutting edge. I would put Parks on the bench for the end of a tight game that may rely on a drop or penalty. I find watching Scotland the ball is dropped too often and the flyhalf can't be blamed for poor skills, Scotland must put their backs on the park i.e., both Lamont's, Patterson and Evans but not start with Parks.
+1

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 9:09

In all honesty I would have liked to try out a backline that looked something like this :

10. Paterson
11. Evans
12. S. Lamont
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. R. Lamont

Although I would not fancy taking such a big risk against Argentina or England, but I feel hand on heart this should have been tried in one of the warm up games or against Romania or Georgia.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 9:30

Radge, can't see AR putting CP in at 10 - at least to start with. He can cover from bench but maybe only for last 20 mins. I fear we may be stuck with Desperate for the Argies. Laughable headline in yesterdays Herald - 'Parks the Hero' indeed !
Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down