The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post match discussion - Wales 17 - 10 Samoa

+60
polotechnics
gavstar
Rollmeister
RubyGuby
mr-bryns-attitude
Bullsbok
emack2
fa0019
Taffineastbourne
doctornickolas
Knowsit17
funnyExiledScot
iso
greybeard
TycroesOsprey
welshy824
Totallybiasedscarlet
Dre280783
dogtooth
bedfordwelsh
rodders
wrfc1980
gelodge
Shifty
mckay1402
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
samuraidragon
manofgwent
senghenydd1913
wales606
Dominic Dicoco
glamorganalun
thebluesmancometh
PJHolybloke
orb
GangGreen
doctor_grey
WelshinEdinburgh
GavinDragon
lostinwales
rawa86
Gibson
Ozzy3213
SGD prop
Pal Joey
Gatts
Adam D
B91212
flyhalffactory
jammoboss
Cari
Dai Tryin
aucklandlaurie
Taylorman
Biltong
eirebilly
perand25
HammerofThunor
Cymroglan
maestegmafia
64 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Post match discussion - Wales 17 - 10 Samoa Empty Post match discussion - Wales 17 - 10 Samoa

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:09 pm

Wales beat Samoa for the first time at a World Cup.

Shane Williams scored a vital second-half try to ensure Wales overcame Samoa's stern challenge in Hamilton to boost their hopes of making the World Cup quarter-finals.

Samoa led 10-6 at the break through an Anthony Perenise try and Paul Williams' conversion and penalty.
James Hook kicked two first-half penalties for Wales and Rhys Priestland a brace after the break.
Wales wing Williams sealed victory 15 minutes from the end.

Wales: James Hook (Perpignan); George North (Scarlets), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Shane Williams (Ospreys); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Paul James, Huw Bennett, Adam Jones (all Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt), Toby Faletau (Dragons).
Replacements: Lloyd Burns (Dragons), Gethin Jenkins, Bradley Davies (both Blues), Andy Powell (Sale Sharks), Tavis Knoyle, Scott Williams (both Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues).
Samoa: Paul Williams; Sailosi Tagicakibau, George Pisi, Seilala Mapusua, Alesana Tuilagi; Tasesa Lavea, Kahn Fotuali'i; Sakaria Taulafo, Mahonri Schwalger (c), Anthony Perenise, Daniel Leo, Kane Thompson, Ofisa Treviranus, Maurie Faasavalu, George Stowers.
Replacements: Ti'i Paulo, Census Johnston, Joe Tekori, Manaia Salavea, Jeremy Sua, Eliota Sapolu Fuimaono, James So'oialo.
Referee: Alain Rolland (IRFU)
Touch judge: Romain Poite (France)
Touch judge: Jérôme Garces (France)
TV match official: Giulio De Santis (Italy)

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 6:32 am; edited 3 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post match discussion - Wales 17 - 10 Samoa Empty Re: Post match discussion - Wales 17 - 10 Samoa

Post by Cymroglan Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:12 pm

Come on Wales Wales on that note I'm off to bed see you all about 4 am.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post match discussion - Wales 17 - 10 Samoa Empty Re: Post match discussion - Wales 17 - 10 Samoa

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:16 pm

Nicely done

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by perand25 Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:17 pm

This could well be the match of the tournament so far ,i'm neutral and i'm getting up for it

perand25

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:20 pm

I'm off to bed soon too...!

Just returned from holiday and am very annoyed this game is on so early, surely it is to be a better and more relevant game than the later ones..?

Not much can be done about it now, so time for some coco...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:22 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I'm off to bed soon too...!

Just returned from holiday and am very annoyed this game is on so early, surely it is to be a better and more relevant game than the later ones..?

Not much can be done about it now, so time for some coco...!
It's a nice curtain-raiser for England v Georgia. Don't forget our 2 million-odd registered players will want to be watching our game Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:32 pm

perand25 wrote:This could well be the match of the tournament so far ,i'm neutral and i'm getting up for it
Good on you mate,

Sign of a true fan. I didn't wake in time for the Argie vs Romania match but did make the SA vs Fiji one.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:36 pm

I will be awake for the match. I really want Wales to win and after their performance against SA i feel that they will by 10.

Wales have some great players and i really enjoy watching them play.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:38 pm

Although I think Wales will win tomorrow, they should be too organised and structured for Samoa, i will be supporting the Samoans tomorrow.

Think it will be an epic match.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:41 pm

biltongbek wrote:Although I think Wales will win tomorrow, they should be too organised and structured for Samoa, i will be supporting the Samoans tomorrow.

Think it will be an epic match.
Do you think Samoa will be softer if Wales loose to them, or is it just a support the, metaphorical, small guy thing?

I hope you enjoy the game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:47 pm

No, not really either, I like the pacific teams, if you look at the challenges they face to compete in these competitions they need a lot of respect.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:55 pm

biltongbek wrote:No, not really either, I like the pacific teams, if you look at the challenges they face to compete in these competitions they need a lot of respect.
I couldn't agree with you more.

If they weren't playing Wales I would be supporting them too..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:46 am

maestegmafia wrote:
biltongbek wrote:No, not really either, I like the pacific teams, if you look at the challenges they face to compete in these competitions they need a lot of respect.
I couldn't agree with you more.

If they weren't playing Wales I would be supporting them too..

I like supporting them both also. I'm going with Samoa as I have more affinity with Samoans than I do Welsh. The other thing is the win will do more for them as a nation. Resource wise the two are poles apart. The proceeds of a sellout Millenium stadium match would probably support Samoan rugby for the next 10 years.

They do get good support from NZ and as a race they must be amongst the best players in the world. Most of these players were born here or came as kids but with a miniscule population look at who they have produced:
Michael Jones, BG Williams, Joe Stanley, Frank Bunce, Mealamu, Kaino, the Tuilagi's, Soo'ialo, Muliaina, the Bachops, Jerry Collins, Tuigamala and many more. Some serious talent from those genes.

Biltongs right- It'll be structure versus flair and pure aggression. In Fotual'i they have one of the best halfbacks at this cup and in Tuilagi a formidable wing- his match up with Shane Williams could be hilarious- either way- one around, the other through!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:15 am

Just back from a nice lining of a curry and several pints, but the nervous energy seems to have cleared my thoughts, and I'm typing pretty well. Three hours to go, this really is the build up now, the nerves start twitching, the hours drag as the dilemma between BBC News 24 or Babestation begins, and horrific flashbacks to previous games against the Pacific Islanders occur.

Don't think Wales are capable of putting in the kind of performance the Saffers did against Fiji; not mentally, the intrinsic belief that the Boks have, nor ability wise to do the hard work in the first 30, to give them nothing in attack and put enough points on the board to have, effectively, won the game. I say this even though Wales were better than the Saffers in nearly ever facet last week; I still think Wales raise their game to the opposition, and often it's just below the standard, or points, of the SANZAR teams. I also think they may get dragged down by the favourite tag, and I hope this doesn't happen today. Also, Samoa are better than Fiji.

Come on Wales! Wales

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:19 am

Good luck Miaow... going to be a cracker. Wales sure do have to do things the hard way. Good on them. They've looked very good so far. Another major match this one- with a qualifying spot for the winner. Yahoo

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:30 am

Ergh...horrendous. We've only played one game, and if we lose another in the tournament, we're all but out barring bonus points and unbelievably favourable results.

I think it's just the natural Welsh pessismism/optimism. I hope to God Gatland has ground in some Kiwi steel (in the way that they put away the South Sea Island teams, not the choking!) over the last three months, and they score the points when they're available and don't give Samoa the inch the will need to produce a terrifying game for me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:39 am

Thats the spirit. I'll be happy for either. Wales werent looking forward to this pool for a while but showed against SA they're more than competitive for it- especially when looking at the SA match against Fiji.

They just need to be as consistent as last week with their execution and defence. Island teams tend to give up if they're got on top of though these days thats not as common. Its probably going to be very wet so the forwards may do the damage needed.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:06 am

Good morning looks like dry at the moment there.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:09 am

Discipline will be the key for me; discipline in every way. I think it's the only way Wales can guarantee a win. If they choke the Samoans of the ball, they will frustrate then, forcing the Samoans to contest the rucks illegally, as I feel their discipline is still suspect if they don't have it their way (look how easily Namibia riled them, eventhough Samoa were well ahead).

However, it also takes discipline, both tactical and composure, to make this an effective tactic. If they, collectively and individually, do not have an effective gameplan based on the one that worked so well against SA, we might lose. I still feel SA proved that the earlier you hit these teams, the better; think an early try, rumbled through the forwards, would be the ultimate psychological blow, especially if we tighten it up afterwards and pick them off with 3 pointers.

Getting excited, not long til kick off!

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:10 am

Cymro
good morning,Could you not sleep?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:11 am

Hiya Cymro. Apparently it's been raining heavily, but brightened up an hour or two ago, with it being warm as well.

So, expect a greasy ball, rather than sloppy conditions. Warm, wet, southern hemisphere conditions; can't look too much into it though. There are many things to worry about for Wales before the weather!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Tryin Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:13 am

Yawn...is it beer and rugby time?

Dai Tryin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:16 am

Morning lads...

Right here we go.

Come on Wales...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:18 am

Bore da pawb coffee

So, who stayed up or got up? I got up about 20 minutes ago. Nervous here.

Dere 'mlaen Cymru!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:19 am

Oh my...the highlights of the SA game, looking at the Irish game...just think what could have been. Oh well, ultimately, if we get out of the group, with the best of respect to Ireland, we would probably have a tie most fans would favour.

Up for this now. AWJ, Warburton, Lydiate and Roberts will be key. North could be a match winner, as could Faletau, who will surely be targeted a bit more than the other big boys due to his heritage.

Putting this away now and getting into game zone. Jittery...

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:20 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: Cymro
good morning,Could you not sleep?

Set the clock for 4am hardly slept a wink I'm a nervous passenger in a car and I would rather be playing than watching Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by jammoboss Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:21 am

Hi all, didn't realised I was already a member of this forum lol can't remember registering, I always POP on to read comments but I can't believe I've had no sleep, I might even stay up to watch the England match.

Can't wait for this match, fingers crossed common wales..

jammoboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:22 am

miaow if we keep our heads we should do OK but if we try and play them at their game we will have problems,

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:22 am

Hi cymro.
All the best for today. Yes weather looks good aftr heavy rain earlier.
Wales appear to have good support in the crowd.
This is going to be a ripper.
Good luck to both teams.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:24 am

Cymro
you guys have apretty strong wind in your favour in the first half you ,you could do all the damage in the first 40.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:24 am

Urgh! Andy Moore commentating. I don't like his voice.

Only trouble watching a match at this time of the day is that I can't make too much noise cause of my neighbours censored That's going to be difficult...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:24 am

Looks like six nations conditions.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:25 am

Well I for one, am glad it's not pishing down there!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:27 am

Cheers Taylorman should be a good game,

Cari same as you I got up at 4am nervous as hell.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:27 am

fairdo's to the choir they're handling the Welsh anthem well. Oh there's that girl from S4C's Jonathan programme.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:29 am

Wind is very strong.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:31 am

There's a lot of cowboys in the audience by the sounds?!

Not as good as the All Black's Haka, but entertaining all the same. Ah stupid short break raspberry

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:32 am

TEA!!

I AM UP SUPPORTING CYMRU

All the best to the Welsh posters on here

You'll do it

Dere 'mlaen Cymru!

Crikey even I am nervous OOOOOHHHHH MOTHER!!
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:33 am

Ah that's cool, they have a countdown to kick off.

This is going to be a hugely physical game. error from Samoa already.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:33 am

Morning all! Getting up with a hangover after going to Dragons v Aironi was not easy! Hope this is worth it!

I'm in Wales but flicking between the coverage on ITV Wales and ITV London (Sky 993) to compare the different perspectives. Sad? Yep!

Last edited by Griff on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:33 am

Good morning. 9.30pm on Saturday night still here, makes a nice change to not have to get up although the alarm is set for the England game at 2.20 as usual. Really looking forward to this, hopefully the Welsh will get the win their display in the SA game deserved. Good luck

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:33 am

Whats the welsh view on rolland?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:35 am

Too many adverts If they keep doing that it will be penalties all day and we won't get past kick offs.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:36 am

Lavea is error prone in my book.

Had some horrors while at the blues

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:36 am

Good luck Wales, come on Samoa you can do it!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:37 am

morning all!

God please dont let Wales lose!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:38 am

Whistle blows, up goes the welsh skirt. Jesus.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:38 am

Oh Jebus, that was close. Good job they lost that. Benny giving a penalty - doh!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:39 am

The welsh scrum is looking good, the more scrums there are, the better it will go.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:40 am

Our scrum is looking wobbly - the Samoans are taking advantage of that. Oh Jebus, that was close again! Cool heads boys...once our backs get the ball, we'll score.

Last edited by Cari on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 4:42 am; edited 2 times in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next