The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does the media affect your perception of certain players?

+3
SmithersJones
LondonJonnyO
Davie
7 posters

Go down

How does the media affect your perception of certain players? Empty How does the media affect your perception of certain players?

Post by Davie Fri 25 Feb - 21:17

I've been thinking about this recently and I've getting so sick of the sycophantic views of some of the Sky Sports (and other) reported, that it's actually starting to affect the way I perceive certain players.

The biggest case in point is your Rory. They big him up SO much when all he really has so far is potential (yes I know he'd won a couple of events), but he gets plugged so hard for everything that I fnid I almost look forward to him losing!

That is a shame because I like the young fellah and think he has a huge potential - but at the moment, that's all it is. Seeing him getting whupped yesterday became almost a guilty pleasure. I follow him on Twitter; he seems a very nice young chap and I really do wish him well, but the way the TV goes on about him I do take this kind of guilty pleasure out of seeing him lose. Probably speaks volumes about me, but I can't help it.

I had the same problem with Big Phil (before he started winning Majors) - that tag of best player never to win a major, and how they all fawned over him made me WANT him to fail. Even now he's got over that tag, the way they go to excess over his "magical short game" makes me laugh everytime they say it then he plays a very average shot. With his form recently, that had been more to the forefront and I've lost count over recent weeks of the number of times they've "bigged him up" for an upcoming flop shot where they expect him to leave it stiff and he makes a mess of it - or they say they expect him to make this and that putt and he misses badly.

I hope they don't jump too much on the Mannassero bandwagon as I don't want to start wanting him to fail just to have a laugh at the expense of the media.

Even though I was always a Tiger fan too, I'm now starting to take pleasure in his train-wreck rounds, just because they are still all over him like a rash.

Am I alone in this affliction?

Davie

Back to top Go down

How does the media affect your perception of certain players? Empty Re: How does the media affect your perception of certain players?

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 25 Feb - 21:28

the media will always be like that. Unless they tell us we should be excited we would never be able to know when to jump up and down.

Likewise we would never know when someone is past it.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

How does the media affect your perception of certain players? Empty Re: How does the media affect your perception of certain players?

Post by SmithersJones Fri 25 Feb - 21:38

Twitter gave me an interesting insight yesterday. I saw Rory's tweet before the tv showed his interview, and it was pretty much 'oh well, time to collect my $95k and go'. Rose didn't seem very upset at losing either. Westwood retweeted a couple of charity appeals but wrote nothing himself, which is unusual and hopefully reflects his disappointment.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Fri 25 Feb - 21:40

No - its the british underdog spirit... when they big these guys up, i loose a lot of support for them..Just can't bring myself to be please for a favourite who wins (might be due to the fact that i'm a Leeds fan). The exception is Kaymer, is i really like and follwed for the last 3 or 4 years but he's nver head all the hype, probably because he's German (as opposed to being 'of these Islands' or American).

I've never been a Tiger fan, at the beginning of his comeback last year, when some were writing him off i though that i would love to see him get Jacks record, because it would really be the measure of him to come back off the injuries and marital strife and be as good as he was. Unfortunately i can't warm to him so that has subsided a lot... i wish he'd just go away now...

I don't think Manaserro will get the hype unless he actually justifies it (which McIlroy/Fowler haven't) because he's not 'of these Islands' or American. Sergio's case was different because of Spain's rich golfing heritage, Seve and Olly, which Italy can't match...

Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 25 Feb - 21:42

Davie I think the majority of us take it with a pinch of salt, and not let it bother us. Agreed that some of the commentators can make you gip, with all their swooning, especially the yanks. I remember Sergio being given the treatment when he first broke through, as he was a kid like Tiger, and 'the best thing to come out of Europe for ages' etc. Ultimatley he let that get to him and overtime his game fell apart. I hope he can get it back because I think he's great. They did the same with Monty and I believe the media tag of 'best player without a major' got to him ensuring he would never do it. That was unfair because love him or hate him, he was the best thing in Europe for years. Young Manni and Rory need to just get on with it and I believe this was a big factor in Rory opting out of the PGA circus.

My perception cannot be changed about players, as some I think are great and some, even though good players I dislike but as people not players. A classic case is the yanks answer to Poults, young Ricky Fowler, I don't get it and never will. I see him having a couple of great rounds but never able to manage 4 days. Yes he's just had another 2 in the matchplay, but its not the same as stringing 4 rounds together. I also dislike the outfits and persona. Rory at times is the best player on the planet, and nobody can live with him. Quayle Hollow last year saw an exceptional golf performance, but since then we've only seen him able to repeat on the odd couple of days. I think he'll do it this year and have a few back to back performances with at least a couple of wins. he's got one of the most natural swings, he hits it a mile, his iron play is sublime and he can putt. his problem is doing all these things in one round, which he can and he walks away from the rest. he has a tendancy to slip back on his putting and then he falls away.

Always loved Tiger but detest the media smooch, but have alwats admired the way he was able to cope with it. It was as iff he was so focused nothing got it. he's been dire for a couple of years and I think the media have got inside at last which has made his efforts to regain his play that much harder. This media scrum has also shown the public/viewer his dark side. I'll always admire him as a golfer and he is I believe the best golfer theres been. But I enjoy watching him crash and burn at the moment, because of his demeanour, actions on course and of course what he did away from the game.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Sat 26 Feb - 1:17

davie i m with you on this issue.....i put it down to my wee mans syndrome...!!!!!! the manager of the footy team i support never gets a hard time with the press and it makes me hate him even more !!!....but back to golf....there are so many good golfers playing on both tours but only a select few get the relevent coverage.....on a side note my mate was a massive tiger fan and would back him to the hilt....not after he watched the tiger gobbing on the green.....he hates him now !!!!

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 26 Feb - 6:06

Never been a fan of massively hyped players, always preferred the one's who go about their business quietly and under the radar maybe that's why my favourite player is Stricker always consistently finishes top 15 and higher and hardly hear a word about the guy because he just gets on with it and doesn't make a fuss, you won't find him tweeitng or making loud noises because of a bad decision or missed putt just keeps his head up and plays the game.

Can't take to Rory at all maybe its the hype and the under achievement so far the kids is a good player but just can't seem to have the will to want him to win, can't stand Fowler as a person but I prefer him to Rory!

Give me the quiet guy who gets on with anyday over a media circus because someone was good when they were young! They were all good young or they wouldn't be out there would they!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 26 Feb - 6:23

Think you've summed up my feelings pretty well Mav. At the moment I always look out for the likes of GMac, Poulter and Kaymer. OK so Poulter has been hyped a bit for non-golfing reasons, but he's never been over-hyped as a golfer.

McIlroy and Fowler just have too much hype surrounding them; so does Tiger (either when he's winning or when he's allegedly coming back to form). Mickelson is/was the same.

I hope the hype stays as low levels for Manassero as I really like the look of him. Give him a chance and let him reach his potential in his own way

PS - agree with you also about Fowler. As a "personality" I can't stand him with the orange suits and the stupid big hat - but as a golfer he is exciting to watch.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down