The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys vs Ulster- Teams Announced

+21
Ozzy3213
WillyGilly
Cymroglan
QuickBall
Higher_Ground
Smirnoffpriest
TBJ9625
Cari
Artful_Dodger
Breadvan
Shifty
Rava
Kingshu
The Great Aukster
clivemcl
Don Alfonso
MrsP
Rory_Gallagher
Standulstermen
rodders
Notch
25 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ospreys vs Ulster- Teams Announced Empty Ospreys vs Ulster- Teams Announced

Post by Notch Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:33 pm

Scott Johnson has named his Ospreys side to face Ulster and it's a landmark for Ospreys utility forward Jonathon Thomas; he's winning his 150th cap clap

Ospreys

15 Barry Davies
14 Richard Fussell
13 Tom Isaacs
12 Andrew Bishop
11 Hanno Dirksen
10 Dan Biggar
9 Rhys Webb
1 Duncan Jones
2 Scott Baldwin
3 Aaron Jarvis
4 Ian Gough
5 James Goode
6 Tom Smith
7 Justin Tipuric (Capt)
8 Jonathan Thomas

Replacements:

16 Richard Hibbard
17 Cai Griffiths
18 Joe Rees
19 James King
20 Joe Bearman
21 Matthew Morgan
22 Sonny Parker
23 Kristian Phillips

One change in the Ulster team- Luke Marshall comes in for the injured Darren Cave in the centre and Nevin Spence switches from 12 to 13. Willie Faloon replaces McComish on the bench and Academy scrumhalf Blane McIlroy comes in for Ian Porter who has a rib injury.

Ulster

15 Jared Payne
14 Craig Gilroy
13 Nevin Spence
12 Luke Marshall
11 Ian Whitten
10 Ian Humphreys
9 Paul Marshall
1 Declan Fitzpatrick
2 Andi Kyriacou
3 Jerry Cronin
4 Lewis Stevenson
5 Dan Tuohy
6 Pedrie Wannenburg
7 Chris Henry (Capt)
8 Robbie Diack

Replacements

16 Nigel Brady
17 Paddy McAllister
18 Adam Macklin
19 Tim Barker
20 Willie Faloon
21 Blane McIlroy
22 Paddy Jackson
23 Adam D'Arcy

Unavailable due to injury:Callum Black (neck), Darren Cave (hamstring), Ian Porter (ribs)

The game will take place at the Liberty Stadium at 4.30pm on Sunday; the game will be televised on S4C and will be available to stream live on the BBC Sport website for fans located in the UK.

Last edited by Notch on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 2:52 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Updating Team Information)
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ospreys vs Ulster- Teams Announced Empty Re: Ospreys vs Ulster- Teams Announced

Post by rodders Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

Losing Cave is big blow as he has been in sensational form and he and Spence are forming a formidable partnership. I wonder if we might see Whitten and Spence in the centre or maybe Payne at 13 alongside Spence?
Or will Marshall get the start?

I'm surprised IHumph is in the running as it looked like he'd be out for a while.

Doh Just realised its a sunday game as well and I'm at a Wedding FFS.... steam
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:48 pm

rodders, don't be insane lad. Marshall NEEDS to start this game at 12! Whitten and Spence are very similar players whereas Marshall and Spence is a perfectly balanced combo!

Only way I'd move Payne to 13 is if Humphreys is injured.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

Yeah got to agree. Cave is a big loss but have we forgotten how effective Marshall and Spence were last season. Payne and Whitten will be our most experienced players should iHumph not be fit.

The way i see is that we talk about having great depth and great youngsters but there is no point in bragging about it if you dont use them.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:15 pm

Wow back up the truck Notch I'm just going through our options! Mental illness is no laughing matter! Laugh

I have to say I'm not keen on the Marshall and Spence combo as the BBC commentaters don't seem to be able to tell them apart.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:16 pm

The way I see it, if Marshall can't get a game when Paddy Wallace AND Darren Cave are unavailable and Ian Whitten is playing on the wing... why did we offer him a contract?

We have three centres available for this game, and one of them is on the wing. Doesn't take a rocket scientist...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:21 pm

Patience Notch Marshall will come good, maybe on Sunday. Wallace only has a season or two in him and there's a long season ahead.

This is a tough old game to be thrown into, especially with Ihumph struggling for form and fitness on his inside. Maybe the bench might be a better place for him?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:25 pm

Thats half the fun Rodders! Is it Spence? Is it Marshall? Who can tell?

Good that the game is on the sport website although didnt BBCNI have all these games last year televised?

My team would be

McAllister
Kyriacou
Fitzpatrick
Stevenson
Tuohy
Wannenburg
Faloon
Henry
Marshall
Humph
Gilroy
Marshall
Spence
Whitten
Payne

Tight call in the backrow and at 9 for me (and Cronin unfortunate to miss out)

A case could have been made for starting Marshall @12 at the end of last season. We need to give our youngsters gametime early, not whenever Paddy cant hack it anymore.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:16 pm

It really is crazy to think how much that team you just listed could change after the world cup players return.

1. Court
2. Best
3. Afoa
4. Muller
5. Tuohy
6. Henry
7. Faloon
8. Ferris
9. Pienaar
10. Humphreys
11. Gilroy
12. Wallace
13. Spence/Cave
14. Trimble
15. Payne

Subs: Kyriacou, McAllister, Fitzpatrick/Cronin, Stevenson, Wannenburg, Marshall, Cave/Spence/Marshall, Whitten/Gaston/D'Arcy

The future looks very good! Also my reasoning for putting Ferris at 8 is I really want to see him tried there.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:27 pm

no chance fez will play 8. That will probably be Wannenburg but i wouldnt rule out Henry either. really worried by Pienaars lack of gametime but hopefully being the forgotten man in the SA squad will make him even more determined for us (and maybe sign another contract)

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:36 pm

But Henry always has played better at 8 than 6, and Ferris is something of a world class 6!

I couldn't see us leaving out Wannenburg. Wannenburg and Ferris would be my two automatic picks in the backrow, last spot is between Henry and Faloon.

It is exciting times though for us, even if we don't win this weekend. I suspect this will be a game where there is no try bonus point and the beaten side will walk with a losing bonus point.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:59 pm

My main reason for Ferris at 8 is one I highlighted in another topic. It is more to help out Ireland than Ulster. I feel Ireland have a lot of depth at 6 but not so much 7 and 8. I also feel Ferris could be a world class 8 as well!

I'm not sure that Henry does play better at 8 than 6 IMO. However as you say if you pick Wannenburg he has recently been playing 6 anyway. Honestly I agree I don't see the coaches playing Ferris at 8 as Ulster has Diack, Wannenburg and Henry there but it is something I would be interested to see Smile

PS - Who would you choose between Henry and Faloon then?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:00 pm

Re: Ospreys vs Ulster
by Standulstermen Today at 3:25 pm

."Thats half the fun Rodders! Is it Spence? Is it Marshall? Who can tell? "

Everyone except Jim Neilly bless his little cotton socks.

Needs to go to Specsavers!

Other opticans are available!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:05 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:My main reason for Ferris at 8 is one I highlighted in another topic. It is more to help out Ireland than Ulster. I feel Ireland have a lot of depth at 6 but not so much 7 and 8. I also feel Ferris could be a world class 8 as well!

I'm not sure that Henry does play better at 8 than 6 IMO. However as you say if you pick Wannenburg he has recently been playing 6 anyway. Honestly I agree I don't see the coaches playing Ferris at 8 as Ulster has Diack, Wannenburg and Henry there but it is something I would be interested to see Smile

But Ulster have a lot of depth at Number 8 but none at 6! It's true we have a lot more depth at 6, but are the likes of Chris Henry ever going to develop into realistic alternatives to Heaslip if they can't play their best position? Is Ferris going to nail down that 6 shirt for Ireland and the 2013 Lions if he has to play out of position? Personally I see our best backrow as 6. Ferris 7. Faloon 8. Wannenburg.

As for Ireland, right now we have Sean O'Brien who is comfortable in all three backrow positions so I'm comfortable with that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:38 pm

I think Wannenburg is doing a good job at 6 atm. Chris Henry I don't think will ever be international standard anyway. Well, O'Brien's best position is at 6 which I think most people would agree on, so he may have the 6 shirt nailed for the lions come 2013, with Warburton at 7. He has played all 3 positions but he is known to be best at 6.

On the otherhand Ferris hasn't really been tried at 8 where I think he could really excel, and since Wannenburg has been playing really well at 6, I just think it would be worth a try. And with Heaslips current form, maybe Ferris could have the 8 shirt nailed for Ireland and the Lions Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:41 pm

Actually, you are wrong. Ferris did play at 8 when he started at Ulster- early in is career he was seen as much more of an 8 than a 6- and he travelled to the World Cup as Irelands reserve 8 in 2007. It was when he moved to blindside he started making a big name for himself though thumbsup

A lot of players get tried in a lot of different positions early in their career; Ferris has played all three backrow positions and it was 6 he did best at so the coaches kept him there. Why repeat an experiment that we've already tried?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:45 pm

I'm not saying you are wrong about him by the way- he's strong enough to be a passable international 8. I think his biggest strength is his rucking, clearing out and defence though. That's the reason he is in the position he plays.

O'Brien, on the other hand, is better in the loose than Ferris. I don't think O'Brien should play 6 whilst Ferris is in the team because his skillset is better suited to 7 or 8 than Ferris' is.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:55 pm

Whoops I kind of worded that wrong I think. I actually did know he started at 8 for Ulster, and he did a great job I thought, I talked about it in another thread yesterday I think. It was early on in his career though and ever since he has only been played at 6. However he was never given the chance to make a big name as an 8 for Ireland, and for Ulster he was starting to make a big name for himself as you say. I think he actually played 7 one match before the world cup?

Anyways, I know Ferris is one of the worlds best blindside flankers. He is my favourite rugby player infact (even says so on my profile Wink) but it is because I rate him so highly in the backrow I know he could be fantastic at number 8. I think Ferris is a much better all around player than O'Brien, as he carries, rucks and tackles an insane amount. His workrate is massive! If it doesn't work then it doesn't, but just for Ireland and their lack of 7s/8s I would like to see an extra option at 8.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

Fair enough pal thumbsup

I think both Ferris and O'Brien are versatile enough to play across the backrow. It's just a question of finding the right balance and chemistry. I think the backrow we played against the Aussies is far and away the best configuration we have available.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

I also have to say I hope Heaslip does find form and more 7s and 8s are produced in Ireland in the background so we can play Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip all at once! Ferris and O'Brien teared Australia apart and it was a real joy to watch thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:27 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Whoevers in the best form for me. They are totally different players with different strengths but Faloon is the more natural and talented openside. Henry's has a great workrate, is strong and is good leader but in my opinion doesn't have the speed, of thought or of foot, or footballing ability you want in a 7 but can do a job there. Faloon is a real traditional 7, he links well in attack, has good hands, tackles hard and wins the ball on the deck.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 21 Sep 2011, 9:32 pm

Bit of a jigsaw puzzle as regards the back line. I have my suspicions as to whether iHumph is genuinely fit.

If he is, I'd play:
10) iHumph
11) Whitten [been impressed by the job he's done there]
12) Marshall
13) Spence
14) Gilroy
15) Payne

if we're starting with Paddy Jackson, move Whitten to 12 and D'Arcy to 11. Marshall on the bench. Would have serious reservations about starting Jackson and Marshall, and Gaston needs to wait til we can surround him with more experience to come in.

I'd be much happier even just with Pienaar to shepherd Jackson a bit, though. Much happier.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:54 am

Interview with big P3 about the game and the World Cup.

Normally don't post these as there's very little interesting comes out of them but the same tired old lines but it was interesting to hear Wannenburg talk about the World Cup.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:51 am

On another note my da and brother were at the Fiji v SA game in Wellington (wearing their Ulster colours) and Johann Muller spotted them and came over for a chat. He probably thought he was back in Belfast between the rain and Ulster jerseys!

Got to agree with Notch on the ferris issue. keep him at 6. During the grand slam and in the form he has shown since (albeit injury interrupted) i think he is the closest thing to Richard Hill that any of the home nations have produced. If he can have a full season without injury i think he could cement his place at the top of the world in his position. The only players competing with him at present are kaino, Dusatoir (plays more like a 7), and Juan Smith (who hasnt played in a good while)

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:23 am

Wow what a legend Stand! Muller is the man and I'm delighted that he's got this opportunity to play in the RWC even if we could be doing with him at Ravenhill.

It's a great boost for our club to have two guys get selected for the boks.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:40 am

Thats class Stand, Johan is a legend.

Cave was interviewed after last weeks match and REALLY played down the reason for him coming off. He basically just said he had played a lot of rugby. Said it was precautionary and nothing was really wrong. I wonder if it was another injury picked up in training?

Will be glad to see Marshal start if he does!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:16 am

clivemcl wrote:Thats class Stand, Johan is a legend.

Cave was interviewed after last weeks match and REALLY played down the reason for him coming off. He basically just said he had played a lot of rugby. Said it was precautionary and nothing was really wrong. I wonder if it was another injury picked up in training?

Will be glad to see Marshal start if he does!

I thought it was a nice touch from the big guy as well. Yeah Cave looked in very good form so this injury has come at a really bad time. I cant recall players saying they have played a lot of rugby 3 games into the new season so i hope it isnt bad. It could be just the break Marshall needs to get into the team though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

Rory I'm with you on Ferris at 8 - against Argentina on Ireland's 07 summer tour he looked really comfortable there and was effectively picked ahead of Heaslip for the RWC. The times he played there for Ulster he also looked good.

It would be the best position to play him for Ulster as they could utilise his explosive power from the back of the scrum to make big yards. It would also excuse him some of the bone crunching duties of the blindside and potentially extend his career as it seems his bones are getting the worse for wear.

Of course there is no chance that he will ever play there now as the coaches want him to be the physical presence he has proven to be, even if that might shorten his career.

LMarshall and Spence did look good last year, but would McL risk playing Jackson - LMarshall - Spence? That would be a very inexperienced (and in the case of Paddy and Luke - undercooked) midfield. If iH is doubtful I can't see McL starting Luke and is more likely to just move Whitten in one and play D'Arcy on the wing.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:56 pm

No Ospreys supporters on this yet, ah well, thats prob why its a good thread.

I actually think Ulster can win this game, I'm really wanting a 8 wins out of 8 games over Welsh teams this year (not likley to happen), but we did get 7 out of 8 last year.

And wahts this about Ferris moving to 8, last week I was reading about wanting to play Ferris as a Lock, whats next week Ferris as Flyhalf, so he can just run the ball?

He must have something going for him at 6 if he manages to make SOB (European player of the year) move over to 7. So I say keep Ferris at 6 and not at lock, 8, or even hooker. Ferris's best position is 6 lets leave him there.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

Thanks TGA Smile we shall just have to see if our unlikely suggestion ever happens haha

Is Paddy Jackson likely to be starting this one? I thought iHumph was fit?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

Rory it doesn't say he is fit. I says he is still being considered for selection. They are probably giving him as much time as possible to be fit. I assume the team will be announced tomorrow so we'll see then. I would start with Whitten at IC and bring Marshall on in the second half.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:33 pm

Ah right, that's a shame. Will be good to see Jackson get a good game under his belt though, I do rate him quite highly. Probably best to as you say put Whitten at 12 instead of Marshall then. Though last season didn't he play one of the youngest backlines in the competition? I can't remember what match but most of the backline were 21 and under.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:46 pm

Kingshu wrote:No Ospreys supporters on this yet, ah well, thats prob why its a good thread.

Now, now no need to provoke us into posting Wink

We can't really say a lot until we are given our team.
Though Tom Prydie is ready to return after his horrific injury so that is a massive boost to our region.
Hope fully we can have a cracker against Ulster, though I have found because of the lack of international teams, then home advantage seems to count for a lot. We smashed Leinster at home, so hopefully we can put ulster away.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:47 pm

Oh he did that all right but there were still some experienced players involved. I think he was using Whitten as a winger in the opening games due to his experience.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:50 pm

Part of me would prefer to see Marshall at 12, but it is certainly a risk and the lack of experience could cost the game. Still, that Marshall/Spence combo makes my mouth water!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 22 Sep 2011, 6:12 pm

No Ospreys supporters on this yet, ah well, thats prob why its a good thread

Our teams not out yet and WE PROBABLY COULDN'T GET A WORD IN ANWAY!!!

Its like the Irish all male version of loose women when you let get going.. Wink
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 22 Sep 2011, 6:21 pm

I think an Ospreys win is a pretty reasonable prediction given past results and home advantage. However, I would see this as a very close game. I think there's not much between the two sides at all. I think it will be a bit like last seasons games. We won 27-26 at Ravenhill and they won 23-22 at the Liberty. Either game could easily have gone the other way.

I feel the chances of us winning are very much contingent on whether or not Humphreys is fit. If he is, we have a player with the experience and ability to stand in comparison to Biggar. If not we have a rookie whereas they have a seasoned pro who takes the points on offer.

Funnily Biggar is a sort of 'Irish' type of player; very controlled, superb kicking game and game management. Humphreys on the other hand is a more 'Welsh' 10- creative, unpredictable and exciting to watch!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 22 Sep 2011, 6:33 pm

If Jackson starts I expect Payne to come into the 10 channel a lot, especially without Pienaar there to look after Jackson.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 22 Sep 2011, 6:48 pm

Is this one going to be on tv guys? Or any of the other irish provincial matches?

EDIT - I have RTE as well, they usually have a munster or leinster match on, can anyone confirm?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 22 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

23 September:
Cardiff Blues v Munster (1905 BST, Cardiff City Stadium, BBC Two Wales)
Connacht v Newport Gwent Dragons (1930 BST, Sportsground)
Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso (1930 BST, Firhill Stadium)

24 September:
Aironi Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby (1400 BST, Stadio Zaffanella)
Scarlets v Leinster (1830 BST, Parc y Scarlets, S4C)

25 September:
Ospreys v Ulster (1630 BST, Liberty Stadium, S4C)
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 22 Sep 2011, 7:11 pm

http://s4c.tv/clic/e_live.shtml

You'll want this link... don't worry Welsh is just like Gaelic, except they sound nothing alike and when you talk Welsh you flob on everything.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 22 Sep 2011, 7:43 pm

Haha thank you thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:14 pm

I think its on the BBC website too Rory.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:15 pm

Thanks Rodders! I shall keep an eye out regardless.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:39 pm

I wouldnt move Whitten into 12 as i dont think his combination with Spence looked great against Cardiff. Stick Payne to 13 and bring D'arcy back in if Jackson is starting for me. Otherwise play Marshall at 12 and leave the outside backs as is

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

The team has been named;

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/9695.php

One change; Luke Marshall in for Darren Cave.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

when watching S4C, the commentors, rarely metion the game, instead they babble on, like two fellas discussing rugby in a pub, and only mention the game if a try is scored.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

Is that not the fanscene on BBCWales Kings?

Rick O'Shea jibbering on isnt my idea of a fun friday night either. Good to see Humph fit and with Marshall in at 12. Gives us another kicking option and we get to see (imo) our brightest young talent.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:44 pm

Is Jim Neilly doing any commentating on this game?

At least if it's on the radio we won't know when he gets the centres mixed up!

Very Happy

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

I'm happy that Marshall was selected, though I would have preferred to see Faloon playing myself.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next