The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was Wannenburg cited for this?

+9
MrsP
yappysnap
rodders
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
Rava
Notch
Mickado
red_stag
13 posters

Go down

Was Wannenburg cited for this? Empty Was Wannenburg cited for this?

Post by red_stag Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:06 am

I had never seen this before. Was Wannenburg cited for this alledged bite on Dylan Hartley.

Click HERE for the Video Clip.

What are your thoughts on it - does it merit a sanction or is it ok?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Was Wannenburg cited for this? Empty Re: Was Wannenburg cited for this?

Post by Mickado Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:09 am

red_stag wrote:I had never seen this before. Was Wannenburg cited for this alledged bite on Dylan Hartley.

Click HERE for the Video Clip.

What are your thoughts on it - does it merit a sanction or is it ok?

I didn't watch the clip but i remember the incident. Wannenburg wasn't cited, not should he have been. Hartley stuck his in Wannenburgs mouth for god sake!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

There was a lot of discussion at the time, but the citing commissioner neglected to take any action over it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:11 am

No but it was well discussed at the time and everyone agreed Hartley asked for it.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:12 am

I think Hartley shoves his arm in his mouth, it's not actually clear if Wannenburg bites down on it! Hartley is a bit over-dramatic I feel.

On another note, is it legal to drag a player put of a maul by grabbing him around the head?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:12 am

It's a shame it didn't prompt a discussion about grabbing players around the neck. It should never be allowed be it a ruck, maul or tackle.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

Have to say I agree with all of you. Hartley shouldn't have been there in first place.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:20 am

It's a shame it didn't prompt a discussion about grabbing players around the neck

Far too much of this occuring these days especially in rucks, there should also be a far bigger clamping down on grabbing players by their scrum cap as that seems to go on far to much. No rugby player would drag someone back by their hair so why should a scrum cap be fair game? It is also dangerous as the velcro strap can be pulled into the wind pipe.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

Wannenburg should have done us all a favour and eaten him. His mini - me Chris Ashton would have made a nice dessert too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:36 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
It's a shame it didn't prompt a discussion about grabbing players around the neck

Far too much of this occuring these days especially in rucks, there should also be a far bigger clamping down on grabbing players by their scrum cap as that seems to go on far to much. No rugby player would drag someone back by their hair so why should a scrum cap be fair game? It is also dangerous as the velcro strap can be pulled into the wind pipe.

Completely agree here. There are far too many headlocks and semi choke holds neing used in rucks and mauls at the moment.

If unintentional contact around the eye area is a citing offense then intentional contact with the throat should be too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 23 Sep 2011, 11:41 am

I know I shouldn't make light of potentially foul play but Hartley reminded me so much of my kids during that incident.

The one that comes running telling tales is often the chief instigator of the mischief.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:15 pm

I don't have sound here, but didn't the ref just reply "Well don't put your arm there, then" or words to that effect?

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by radelven Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:48 pm

If he was bitten (questionable that he was), surely it doesn't matter what he did in the lead up to it. The likes of biting, stamping, punching, kneeing & gouging is often a retaliatory act to illegal play, but it still shouldn't be acceptable and should be punished accordingly. If need be, both parties should be cited, but such behaviour should never be allowed to slide, irrespective of your opinions of the people involved.

radelven

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Sep 2011, 3:01 pm

Very true radelven. Provocation isn't an excuse for violent play.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 23 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

radelven wrote:If he was bitten (questionable that he was), surely it doesn't matter what he did in the lead up to it. The likes of biting, stamping, punching, kneeing & gouging is often a retaliatory act to illegal play, but it still shouldn't be acceptable and should be punished accordingly. If need be, both parties should be cited, but such behaviour should never be allowed to slide, irrespective of your opinions of the people involved.

Yeah, I agree. That said I can't tell from the clip whether or not Wannenburg intentionally bit him. And he doesn't appear to break the skin or leave a mark.

As much as I think biting has no place in the game (I'm sure everyone feels this way) I can see why they decided this didn't warrant a citing.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 23 Sep 2011, 3:09 pm

What I see is Dylan Hartley trying to force his hand/wrist into Wannenburg's mouth - I dont see much of a bite and Hartley then points to his arm which is unmarked - what an absolute tool.

If anything Hartley should of been cited for firstly pulling Wannenburg's neck back in a maul and then trying to drive his hand into Wannenburg's mouth, Hartley very lucky to get away without a citing really.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 23 Sep 2011, 3:57 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:What I see is Dylan Hartley trying to force his hand/wrist into Wannenburg's mouth - I dont see much of a bite and Hartley then points to his arm which is unmarked - what an absolute tool.

If anything Hartley should of been cited for firstly pulling Wannenburg's neck back in a maul and then trying to drive his hand into Wannenburg's mouth, Hartley very lucky to get away without a citing really.

+1

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:07 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:What I see is Dylan Hartley trying to force his hand/wrist into Wannenburg's mouth - I dont see much of a bite and Hartley then points to his arm which is unmarked - what an absolute tool.

Seriously? Why on earth would he be trying to put his hand in his mouth? To me it looked like Hartley was putting his arm across Wannenburg's face and pulling it back to disrupt him in the maul. You can clearly see Wannenburg's jaw move. Should have been cited and banned for about 30 mins for biting and the IRB/ERC/RFU should have issued a statement on headlocks. The worst ones are the twisting headlock you get at rucks. I'm sure it's very effective at stopping someone in the ruck but would have thought it was also very dangerous.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:16 pm

There is ZERO evidence of any bite in that clip. Hartley has shoved his forearm (intentionally or otherwise) into Wannenburgs mouth and is pulling back.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down