The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid???

+6
TipToes88
BigPhil
HitmanOwl
Fists of Fury
Dass
AlexHuckerby
10 posters

Go down

Best Metal Gear Solid

Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Vote_lcap56%Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Vote_rcap 56% 
[ 9 ]
Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Vote_lcap31%Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]
Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Vote_lcap6%Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Vote_lcap6%Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 16

Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Empty Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid???

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

which one? For me it has to go to the first one, yes the graphics are shoddy, yes there aren't as any features but nothing can beat the nostalgia and overall fun I have playingon that one. The second one was amazing but still slightly behind the first, third one was a bit shoddy in my opinion tried a bit too hard was desperately dissapointed, 4th was very good but not quite the same, seems too revolutionised for me.
What do you think is the best?
We're not including the very very first one (I think it came out for the SNES as it's just too old, The Twin Snakes that came out for Gamecube is the first one but with better graphics so if you want that vote for MGS1)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Empty Re: Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid???

Post by Dass Sun 25 Sep 2011, 10:39 pm

I always consider the 1998 version to be the first of the current series, but can happily include the previous two games if enough want to discuss them. Problem is most people's experience's start with MGS 1998 mainly due to the original having a solely Japanese release and the the US/Euro versions were altered NES ports with no help from Kojima. The sequel to the original Japanese game I don't think it ever got a official release ported or otherwise until it was included as a bonus feature in one of the later games.

I think when you take into account the fact neither game prior to the MGS 1998 game got official releases outside of Japan then its prob best just to ignore them for now in any discussion unless someone really wants to discuss their merits.

As for what I consider the best well has to be between No1 and No3 each for various reasons ranging from level design, boss fights, story, protagonist among other things. I will say now that graphics/animations are ridiculously overrated in terms of what they bring to a game in today's gaming culture, they are nice and improve a game somewhat but nowhere near enough to account for some of the review scores they seem to generate. Taking all these features into account and deliberating profusely (fingers steepled and everything) I have come to the conclusion that as a overall concept and execution MGS3 is probably ahead on the whole for me.

Yet... I still have another factor to consider and that's difficulty level and for me nothing has been as satisfying in that department as the original game. Its a combination of the controls, the stealth and the boss fights involved that made me look at that game as the most rewarding when completed. For me that's the most important factor of any game how challenging was it, I don't want to complete a game because it was such a cake walk it degrades the experience.

On that note my winner is... MGS (1998 version)

(Another lengthy rant on *subject* was brought to you by Dass Corp, bringing you long winded walls of text year in year out).

Last edited by Dass on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Dass

Back to top Go down

Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid??? Empty Re: Which Was The Best Metal Gear Solid???

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 26 Sep 2011, 8:44 am

First one, for me, loved every minute of it, and thought it was pretty groundbreaking for its time. 1998? Was it really that long ago? Jesus.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:32 am

@fist of fury

The 1st blew my mind,never played anything like that until that point and it probably still stands the test of time. Be quality if released on ps3.

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:40 am

Well I can only choose out of the first 3 due to a ridiculous decision to have an Xbox 360 Sad

It's such a difficult decision to make because they're all just superb games, I'll go with 2 though as its stuck in my mind the most as a truly ingenious game. It is still totally fresh to play right now ten years after its original release. The choice to make Raiden the main character instead of snake was very daring but I thought he was excellent in it.

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:57 pm

HitmanOwl wrote:@fist of fury

The 1st blew my mind,never played anything like that until that point and it probably still stands the test of time. Be quality if released on ps3.

I think their releasing some sort of box set actually

I went for Snake Eater, I loved MGS1, tolerated 2 but 3 really did it for me. 4 was good with the exception that I could never finish the final bloody fight on the hardest setting mad

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:39 pm

Think the box set is MGS2, MGS3, and MGS Portable (or some other non-mainstream game). But MGS1 is on the PSN for downloads
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:27 am

The first one for Playstation was a revolution.

For me you had the holy trinity of MGS, Final Fantasy 7 and Tomb Raider that were just out of this world in terms of a leap forward in gaming.

I don't think the same size leap has ever been made since.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 26 Oct 2011, 11:48 am

Electric Demon wrote:The first one for Playstation was a revolution.

For me you had the holy trinity of MGS, Final Fantasy 7 and Tomb Raider that were just out of this world in terms of a leap forward in gaming.

I don't think the same size leap has ever been made since.

Perhaps not Demon, though would give Gears of War a shout for stepping forward and and bringing something to the plate. Perhaps not totally original, however in terms of multiplayer and campaign graphics overall smoothness it set a very high bar which most games still made today (gears of war as released 2006) still struggle to do today.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:18 am

Gonna try Guns of Pariots again. It's been 3 years since I last played it.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Y2James Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:40 pm

Voted for 2, but only the first half

Y2James

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down