The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missed tackles?

5 posters

Go down

Missed tackles? Empty Missed tackles?

Post by Biltong Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

I want to discuss how statistical data is worked during a match.
When do they see an attempt at a tackle as a missed tackle?

You find the same situation in cricket where a players has almost no chance to make a catch, but heroically dives forward only to get a finger on the ball and then it is deemed a missed catch.

Now they say catches win matches and in rugby a lot can be said about the importance of missing tackles.

When a fly half gets the ball and does a little inside pass whereby the wing comes in at pace into a small gap and the flanker barely gets a hand onto the win before he scores. Do they see that as a missed attempt?

This type of thing happens often during a match whereby a player beaten for space or speed makes a desperate attempt at a dive only to not get enough hold of the player to bring him down, I would love to know whether that is worked into the stats.

During the Fiji match a statistic has shown of roughly 20 odd missed tackles by south Africa where as the coaching staff of SA said in an interview there were close to 50 missed tackles by SA.

In my view the coaching would look at a missed tackle not only as an attempt to tackle, but also whether a player made the wrong decision positionally to be in place to make a tackle.

Where as I would think the match statistics is most likely looking at a player getting a hand on the player only.

So how much impact do these stats really have on a match as the accuracy of the statistic is in question.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Missed tackles? Empty Re: Missed tackles?

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:21 am

Agreed. The official missed tackles count for Scotland was 9. Well there were about 3-4 missed tackles in the Argentina try, and I can't believe there were only 5 in the rest of the match.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:50 am

I quite imagine its when they fail to tackle the person with the ball, if they didnt have the ball when the tackle was made, I dont see that as a missed tackle

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

Or in yesterday´s match, what about Médard´s attempt at a tackle on Jane? I wouldn´t even call that a missed tackle as it´s an insult to the word tackle. It was just a miss.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:01 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Or in yesterday´s match, what about Médard´s attempt at a tackle on Jane? I wouldn´t even call that a missed tackle as it´s an insult to the word tackle. It was just a miss.

Laugh

it did have an air of "i should really make it look like i was at least thinking about trying to bring him down".

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:28 pm

Comfort wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Or in yesterday´s match, what about Médard´s attempt at a tackle on Jane? I wouldn´t even call that a missed tackle as it´s an insult to the word tackle. It was just a miss.

Laugh

it did have an air of "i should really make it look like i was at least thinking about trying to bring him down".

Reminded me of a totaly outclassed goal keeper who does the perfect diving save when the ball's already in the back of the net!
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down