The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger's New Caddie

+13
Gareth_NI
Davie
delToro87
pedro
super_realist
GWR-Golfer
JPX
Maverick
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
drive4show
SmithersJones
MustPuttBetter
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tiger's New Caddie Empty Tiger's New Caddie

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:31 pm

Watching the end of the Tour Championship and Butch Harmon has just announced on Sky that Dustin Johnson's caddy, Joe LaCava, is now going to be caddying for Tiger Woods.
New caddie needed for DJ.

I have to confess to knowing very little of Joe LaCava other than that he's not been with Dustin for long. I assume he's decent?!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Tiger's New Caddie Empty Re: Tiger's New Caddie

Post by SmithersJones Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:37 pm

Wasn't he Fred Couples' caddie for a long time?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:39 pm

Yeah, I heard the announcement too. I think LaCava might regret his decision, I reckon over the next 5-10 years, DJ will make more prizemoney than Woods.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:41 pm

D4S, I thought the same thing. Strange move from a long term point of view.
Tiger must have offered him a few nights out in Vegas.....
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:10 am

As said on my thread, it's going to appear as if Freddie set this up - just the job for team unity at the Presidents Cup. Wonder who'll have Dustin's bag now? Would have thought it would be highly sought after.

Perhaps Butch Harmon is putting that out that prematurely to p everyone off????

Dumb move by LaCava unless he's planning to retire on Woods's downpayment.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:07 am

Kwin - Not so sure it's a dumb move by LaCava. If you have to ask me who will win more tournaments in the next 5 years, I would not automatically suggest Dustin. I'll guess it's 50/50.

Who knows, too, what sort of endorsements being Woods' caddie opens up.

Butch should be used to losing to team Tiger by now.

Lord knows he's been chock full of opinions on how to "fix" woods since TW went to Haney.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:01 am

Well, Sr, I have immense respect for Woods as a golfer, absolutely none as a person (nothing to do with his addictions) and this is just more of the same.

Hate divas and Woods is just as much a diva as Serena, Maria and Wie. And Butch!

I've a nasty feeling this will be a move that divides Team Fred in Melbourne.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:17 am

As an aside, on the BBC website this morning the Tiger caddie story is the top story with news of Haas winning the Fedex/Tour Champs and news of the ladies' victory in the Solheim wedged into the 'other news' column. Hilarious!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:29 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:As an aside, on the BBC website this morning the Tiger caddie story is the top story with news of Haas winning the Fedex/Tour Champs and news of the ladies' victory in the Solheim wedged into the 'other news' column. Hilarious!

Just another prime example of the BBC and their poor reporting on golf and whats important to golfers. Haas biggest win of his career and 10million richer is less of a storey than yet another caddy storey. Or the fact the ladies for first time win the Solheim cup singles matches.

As for the actual change well am a little surprised as a short whil ago it was reported that O'Meara had given the all clear for Tiger to take his bag man. From the caddies point of view I can only imagine theres a big retainer involved because at the moment with his game in freefall Tiger seems an odd choice of bag to carry. that said who knows the man could be back with a bang shortly but hoping he falls just a couple further places in the ranking first to not qualify for certain events

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:31 am

I fear Tiger's finished, I hope he isn't but every time he makes a come back the pressure on him is mounting, coupled with his injuries and form I think this LaCava bloke has made a mistake.

I also got the feeling that big Phil is on the downhill of his career this week.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:27 am

who cares - Tiger is a spent force. Tiger will be lucky to win a couple more tournaments and certainly not a major. Whereas I think Dustin could win at least 2-3 majors

The golf has been great to watch without all the Tiger sycophants talking up ordinary shots that other golfers make into something special - now I will probably watch less Golf as he is about to return
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:31 am

GWR-Golfer wrote:The golf has been great to watch without all the Tiger sycophants talking up ordinary shots that other golfers make into something special

Couldn't have put that any better myself. No tiger has been refreshing, we actually get to see the leaders playing, rather than the TV coverage fawning over him on every shot no matter how bad it is. Also nice to have had an event when Woods hardly got a mention but now yet another comeback is imminent we will no doubt have to put up with more fawning.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:45 am

Surely the importance of who carries your bag is about as important as who is the projectionist at a cinema.
Probably the most over-rated job in sport.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:55 am

Isn't LaCava something you drink? Bubbly
Well, I'm quite sure LaCava eyes big money here - even if he might make a fool out of himself. I don't blame him though. And who knows, maybe he even gets 10% of Tiger's groupies?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:57 am

I would have though Dustin Johnson would be a better career move. Becoming Wood's caddy is a bit like being Kerry Katona's latest boyfriend.
Lot's of pointless publicity and a career that is in terminal decline.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by delToro87 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

super_realist wrote:Surely the importance of who carries your bag is about as important as who is the projectionist at a cinema.
Probably the most over-rated job in sport.

I recommend reading 'The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex' by Mark Kermode, if you don't think that the projectionist's job is important.

delToro87

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

Twittersphere this morning speculating it was actually LaCava who contacted Tiger - not the other way around

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

What I mean DelToro, is that you don't go and see a film because of which projectionist is present. If anyone has ever phoned up the cinema in advance and asked who is working as a projectionist prior to going along I'll eat my own head, likewise as long as the caddy you have is reasonably proficient it doesn't really matter who it is.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

super_realist wrote:What I mean DelToro, is that you don't go and see a film because of which projectionist is present. If anyone has ever phoned up the cinema in advance and asked who is working as a projectionist prior to going along I'll eat my own head, likewise as long as the caddy you have is reasonably proficient it doesn't really matter who it is.

That would be a brilliant spoof for April 1st!! Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

I personally think its a win/win situation for LaCava...
- he's moved from one World Class golfer to another whom let's face it, *if* he turns hot is almost unbeatable
- Tiger can't really get much lower than he is at present and whilst I don't think we'll ever witness another SLAM I'm fairly confident he'll win more majors (I'm not a fan of him, but I think he's too good not to)

Back to LaCava, when he signed with Johnson a few months back one of the Sky/BBC analysts (can't remember who) mentioned their surprise at his move as they thought he was nearing retirement and his limited schedule under Couples would have better suited as he was wanting to spent more time with his children/family. So if this was true, then the Tiger move would suit him even more. Sky have also suggested that Johnson is pondering taking up a European Tour card next season which would mean him playing an additional 4/5 weeks outside of the US.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

If Tiger turns hot he is more than unbeatable very beatable infact, he is now nor ever will be near his form of 2000 and the players in the fields now are much stronger so find that a really pointless statement.

He can go a lot lower the OGWR goes further down than 50 and he shows no signs of improvement

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:42 am

Gareth,
The US Press are pretty much echoing your comments, just lamenting the Tiger-centric timing intended to overshadow Solheim and FedEx headlines.
Which is exactly what has happened.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:49 am

Maverick wrote:If Tiger turns hot he is more than unbeatable very beatable infact, he is now nor ever will be near his form of 2000 and the players in the fields now are much stronger so find that a really pointless statement.

He can go a lot lower the OGWR goes further down than 50 and he shows no signs of improvement

Just have to agree to disagree then Mav, if he turns hot in my opinion few can touch him, granted there are more today that would be in a position to hang with him than in 2000.

His OGWR position is immaterial... hes no longer No:1 and hasn't won a tournament in a considerable period of time and didnt qualify for the FedEx play-offs, this is what I meant by he cannot get much lower.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

Course he can plumb lower depths Gareth, he could be another Baker Finch or Michael Campbell (lets hope so) or he could do another Westwood, although this would seem unlikely.

Few could touch him in the old days because importantly, there were very few up to his standard, perhaps only Mickelson and Els, there's a lot more players now playing to a consistently high standard, but more importantly, they don't fear a man whose mental invincibility ended with YE Yang closing him out.
Woods issue in my opinion is more to do with his mental infragility than his lack of techincal form.
2000 was a very very long time ago and asking anyone to regain the form that distant is almost impossible in sport.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:16 pm

Will this new caddie help Tiger? Can't hurt him, but the caddie issue hasn't been the part of Tiger's game (IMO) that's been troubling. It's his amazing inconsistency when compared to his old game.

Hope he does a Michael Campbell? Not me ... I'm more hoping he does a "Westwood" (who competed at a pretty high level in the past 12 months).

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

I don't think Woods has the character to do a Westwood style comeback. He takes himself far too seriously I think and probably tries too hard as well. There's a certain amount of acceptance and patience required to get a career back and I don't think he gets it, and hope he doesn't.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

If LaCava is approaching retirement he will of course go where the money is. And that's the Tiger way.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:32 pm

Surely not if he wins F.A?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:40 pm

s_r:
I'm sure he got a guaranteed contract, could easily have been something like a $1M upfront downpayment.
Who knows whether either Woods or Joe made the right decision but would guarantee Dustin Johnson will win more money and more tournaments these next few years than Eldrick the Unready.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

Perhaps Kwini,
but if someone offered me the chance to work for an already established player, American Number 1, almost guaranteed to make pots of cash as well as being a likeable guy or an ailing has-been with a questionable level of fitness who is notiriously hard work I know which one I'd choose.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

..and apart from that he will suddently become famous. So even if he might winf fewer tourneys with Eldrick, I'm also quite sure the endorsement money will start flowing his way.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

Would have thought Joe LaCava was about already as "famous" as a caddie could be . . . . . . perhaps one %age point behind Williams and perhaps Fanny.
He's probably just about done as far as career caddying is concerned, one last mega-payday and out, with some ceremonial stuff with Fred when the Tiger feat turns to tears.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Looks like this might turn into another mini row - people complaining that it is Tiger trying to upstage the Solheim and FedEx news - others counterclaimng that he didn't release the news but Harmon did!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

Sure St.Butch was very calculating in how he released the news. But anyone with at least half a brain (and I even put Tiger in that category) would have known he'd tell the world. NBC certainly didn't know so Sky and 606v2's "MPB" scooped them!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:26 pm

Ha, i'm not sure i scooped anything but hey if this promotes 606v2 (or whatever it's soon to be called) as a leading world news outlet for golf then all the better?!...........
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

Davie wrote:Looks like this might turn into another mini row - people complaining that it is Tiger trying to upstage the Solheim and FedEx news - others counterclaimng that he didn't release the news but Harmon did!

As much as i'm no woods fan, I don't think you can pin this one on him for a change. I think Butch was in a way trying to make it something bigger than it really is by making it look as though former pupil Woods has stolen something from his own player. Bit like an episode of Star Wars LaCava goes over to the dark side to work under former pupil turned master Woods whilst Dustin Skywalker tries to be victorious for thruth and justice.....

Load of old trash really, caddies change who they work for pure and simple. All that matters is Dustin is on the up and Woods is on the way out.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:48 pm

I have read in a few stories/blogs accross UK and the States that LaCava felt himself and DJ just weren't a compatible match. If this is true it is likely that their relationship would not have continued much further regardless of TW. For someone like LaCava who has been in the game for years, worked with a few top class players I'm sure the chance to caddie for one of the greatest players of all time (and why he seems to be on a downward spiral still has the talent and work ethic and time to recover his career) is an intriguing job. I would imagine there was no shortage of top class caddies who would have relished the chance.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:48 pm

MPB, Davie,
As for "whatever it's soon to be called" I'm surprised the chat on the 606v2 re-brand thread doesn't include anything about re-restablishing the raison d'etre of 606v2. The "v2" part of v2 Sports Forum doesn't mean anything, and presumably the Sports Forum part is just reference to a sports chatroom. Can't it be more than that?
I seldom go on any board other than golf, baseball, horse racing occasionally and other sports / ice hockey, but it seems the Golf board is very respectful, has plenty of news at local/club/amateur and pro level plus lots about golf "travel", plus has some quality articles.

If this site is to grow, I'd think it would be good to build on what we have in "golf"?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:05 pm

Kwini, to be honest I've not commented on there as Hobo always given me the impression that once he's decided it's not up for debate. Anything you try and put forward will turn into a slanging match. I've no doubt the site will be rebranded 'Sport Forum v2' or whatever regardless of anything anyone says
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:16 pm

MPB,
Don't doubt you're right, which is why it seems this site will hit the buffers in terms of growth - as far as golf is concerned that might already have happened.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

Kwini, I think you're right. I don't remember noting more than 1 or 2 new regular posters in the golf section.
Plus, like them or not, people like OS, OP, LadyPutt, Sharrison, LJ of course, etc all seem to be posting very rarely if at all these days
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

I think goldwolf's fantasy game was a big part of the development of traffic on 606's golf board, and that engaged a lot of posters who otherwise would not have bothered.
I think we all need to help Ned (it must be horrendously time consuming without any assistance) develop a regular fantasy game as a staple of this site along with other regular spots. They could be, say:
Weekly articles by posters on:
A golf course.
Their particular club.
Equipment.
Media: Books, video lessons/or tips, Films etc.
Travel.
Competitions.

Even one effort a month on each subject, plus a weekly game, European Tour article, PGA Tour article would attract much more participation.

And it would be good for breaking news, even if it was just a substantiable rumour, warranted an immediate "sticky".

No reason at all why it couldn't be a golf on-line magazine, with lots of chat and the usual pieces.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

A bit of a surprising move given that Dustin Johnson is one of the hottest properties in the game. However for LaCava it is a chance to caddy for one of the best the game has ever seen . If Tiger stays healthy and if he gets his game back then who wouldn't want to be the caddy for the historic 19th Major championship win?
Lets face it at 35 Tiger is still young enough to play at the top level for another 10 years atleast, now while I don't think we will ever see him dominate like he did in the past it may only take one victory to get the band wagon roling again and the confidence return.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:12 pm

I thought I would pop on to address some of the issues raised.

I will tackle the name at the end if thats okay.

Firstly, regards the growth situation. I have tried to get some links in place but I cant do everything myself - remember, I dont get paid to do this.

Leaderboard was hopefully going to offer us something but it has been met with indifference from both sides - they have barely mentioned us, and although I dont keep an eye on this section, I dont think we have used any of there articles as a starting point for debate (which we have permission to do).

I have offered up other ideas such as the golf course directory, but that is something that the members have to drive - that would get clubs involved if you started it.

If you have any other ideas, the admin team would love to hear them and we will do our best to do what we can.

With regards to making up my mind on things - the advert thing was necessary. It should never have been a debate in the first place.

However, we are open to suggestions on how to improve and change. The v2 name is not set in stone by any means. In fact, we would be delighted if you could come up with a name for us.

Please do not feel that any of the admin team can not be approached - we may disagree with things but we try to be reasonable in the most.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm

Hi Hobo,
Appreciate your comments.
I too thought the "golf course directory" idea was a good one; difficult to drive from here though.
No reason why we shouldn't try a quasi-directory with members writing about either their club, a local course, or a special course. In the past 24 hours posters have written about experiences at Pine Valley and Royal Dornoch, a pair of courses in anyone's top twenty around the world. There's lots of material is what I'm saying!

Just wanted to throw out some ideas which might be a catlyst for re-invigorating the golf board, which may or may not give the Founder fathers ideas for other boards.

I started with the golf fantasy game because that created an exponential increase in participation on 606 about four years ago when goldwolf kicked it off, despite massive interference by BBC mods. Then I just threw out some other options for regular articles.

Just thinking aloud really but participation on "golf" will inevitably taper off until Hawaii and the "Gulf" warm things up again in January.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 26 Sep 2011, 3:49 pm

cheers kwini.

If you want me to do anything like set up sub forums within golf to faciliate the geographical directory, let me know.

If any of you want to approach golf sites that you know of or even let me know, I will try my best to help.

And we could really use some rebranding ideas!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm

Sorry, not related to Tiger's new caddie, but a lot of the talk is about which player (Dustin or Tiger) will do better next year.

Assuming Tiger remains fit during 2012 how well do we expect him to perform:

Majors
How many wins?
How many top 5s?
Non Majors
How many wins?
How many top 5s?
End of Year (2012) World Ranking
?

I'll open with 1 top 5 in Majors, 1 win and 3 top 5s in Non-Majors and getting back to 7th in the World Ranking.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Scottie

Who knows? Tiger is such an enigma, he is equally capable of going either way. If he continues thrashing at the ball and spraying it all over the place, he could end up outside the top 100 by the end of next year but if he finds and sticks with a top coach then he could get his game back.

I think one thing is conclusive, the guys on tour no longer fear him so he won't be able to intimidate them anymore. In fact, I think a lot of them would now relish going head to head with him such would be their confidence levels. I don't think he'll win a Major next year, possibly not even a tour event. I can see him winning some sort of limited field invitational event ( no, not the Masters!!!) like a skins event or his own end of season jamboree.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:15 pm

Perhaps his end of season event should have only Michael Campbell as the only other invited player. He might actually win something.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:19 pm

I think Tiger will be hoping to make a statement about his game at his Chevron love-fest in December. It's his event, he has largely dominated it, the course is full of par fives so suits him to the proverbial T, and you know he'll be up for it.
Say what we like about McDowell but I reckon Tiger's losing last year's Chevron was a big blow to his big ego.
He won't much care about Fry's.com, appearance fee events in Asia and Australia, or even the Pres Cup. But he WILL care about his Chevron tournament.
Should he be an also-ran there, he'll likely be an also-ran next year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next