The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest Heavyweight Rounds

+2
Imperial Ghosty
Sugar Boy Sweetie
6 posters

Go down

Greatest Heavyweight Rounds Empty Greatest Heavyweight Rounds

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 27 Feb 2011, 12:14 pm

Here's a few of the all time classic heavyweight rounds IMO,

Holmes v Norton Round 15: brutal round in which the two fighters stand toe to toe and slug it out, Holmes shows tremendous resolve to suck up some of nortons digs and has norton on rubbery legs before the bell rings. Edge of your seat stuff. Holmes goes on to win the decision in a classic. 

Bowe v Holyfield 1 Round 10: Similar to Holmes Norton this round was a brutal slugfest, neither man willing to yield. Ring Mag round of the year 1992. Bowe would deck Holy in the next round and go on to take a UD, with two more fights to follow. 

Ali v Frazier III Round 12: After losing his way in the middle rounds getting literally beaten up by Fraziers body attack, Ali turns the fight around finding a second wind and matching Fraziers attacks with fast, accurate straight combos that pump into Fraziers face in a pulsating round. Ali goes on to dominate the next two rounds and win by TKO when Fraziers corner pull him out after the 14th. 

Which great heavyweight rounds spring to mind for you?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Greatest Heavyweight Rounds Empty Re: Greatest Heavyweight Rounds

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 27 Feb 2011, 12:35 pm

Can't for the life of me remember there names, was for a minor title but was between a south african with a weird name and an american.

The American gets knocked down and is pretty much out of it but then turns it around and KO's the other guy

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 27 Feb 2011, 12:38 pm

Ayup Sugar Boy, nice article. I think the ones you've picked are really strong contenders, but some others I'd add would be round two of Dempsey-Firpo in 1923, as well as round seven of Dempsey-Tunney II in 1927. Obviously we all know about the 'long count' in that round, but even taking that out of the equation it was still a great round, with Dempsey stalking him relentlessly but having to back up near the end of the round when Tunney landed a sickening body shot which turned the bout back in his favour. In his autobiography, Dempsey described it as "the hardest blow I have ever received. It was not a question in my mind of being knocked out - I thought I was going to die."

Round thirteen of Louis-Conn (first edition) would be a decent shout, as would round twelve of Tua-Ibeabuchi, round seven of Shavers-Holmes (second fight), round ten of Cooney-Holmes and round eight of the second bout between Marciano and Charles. Although we could be here all day, plenty to pick from.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 27 Feb 2011, 12:48 pm

Darroll Wilson against Courage Tshabalala but my memory is playing tricks on me, it was over two rounds not just the one

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun 27 Feb 2011, 2:32 pm

Foreman-Lyle....round four...I think

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun 27 Feb 2011, 2:37 pm

Round 3 of Derrick Jefferson Maurice Harris was a cracker.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 28 Feb 2011, 5:16 pm

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down