The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ball Options

+8
oldshanker
dewsweeper
Nay
Marcus
Maverick
navyblueshorts
LondonJonnyO
Doc
12 posters

Go down

Ball Options Empty Ball Options

Post by Doc Mon 28 Feb 2011, 10:42 am

Last season I was using Bridgestone Tour B330 with some great results. For the optimum performance with this ball you need to have a fairly high swing speed, and mine was around 100mph. I think my speed has fallen to around 95 so maybe this is why I'm not seeing the same results, or it may be something else. Yes I know the conditions are not favourable etc.

What are the differences between good balls as I've never liked ProV1's etc, what would happen if I started using a softer ball for example

Doc

Back to top Go down

Ball Options Empty Re: Ball Options

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 28 Feb 2011, 10:51 am

Doc.

I also use the Tour B330 and love it... but I do have a very high swingspeed. I've experimented with the other models in this range and there is a feel difference with the B330S being considerably softer off the putter face I find... I also have trouble controlling the amount of backspin I get on the B330S and lower speed rated balls.

If your swingspeed has dropped as far as you say then biggest difference you will find going to the S or the RX (I think thats the model which is suited to around 95mph but am happy to be corrected) is that you'll find yourself getting more carry and overall distance with it. This is due to the fact that you won't be compressing the B330 Tour enough to get the most out of it... and will probably be getting more release on the green than is optimal for your approach shots with the B330 Tour.

As for the ProV1s... I hate em. They spin far too much. And that leads to a massive loss of yardage for me.

Try the S and RX if you can get them in sleeves... They will perform as well as the B330... and maybe a little better.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 28 Feb 2011, 10:56 am

I'm around 100 for my driver SS and I really like the 330RX and RXS despite them being for 'slower/amateur' swing speeds. Then again, I like a soft feel off putter and for chipping. Plenty of spin, especially with the RXS.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 28 Feb 2011, 12:27 pm

I've said this many times about the Pro v1x overated ball far to high a spin rate equals loss of ditance and have been known to spin one of the green from back to front with what would have been with a better ball stiff! The Zstar is pretty good for most, I'd say if you can try and have a few rounds with. A few different balls to get what your looking for but no doubt bridgestones range is the best throughout

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 28 Feb 2011, 12:40 pm

I notice that there is a change to the B330 Tour for this year.. new cover material that does exactly what it does now... but gives a softer feel.

Could be interesting as the only problem I ever had with this was the slightly too firm feel off the putter.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Mon 28 Feb 2011, 12:49 pm

Callaway i(s) and i(z) are magnificent balls. Far better than the B330S I used last year.

Pro V1s are overrated. They're fine if you want to show off to your pals by spinning them back miles, but I'd prefer a much more manageable and predictable amount of spin, which the Callaways give perfectly.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:32 pm

Marcus wrote:Callaway i(s) and i(z) are magnificent balls. Far better than the B330S I used last year.

How are the i(s) and i(z) in terms of resilience? I've always had problems shredding the covers of Callaway balls to bits. Not much fun.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:49 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Marcus wrote:Callaway i(s) and i(z) are magnificent balls. Far better than the B330S I used last year.

How are the i(s) and i(z) in terms of resilience? I've always had problems shredding the covers of Callaway balls to bits. Not much fun.

I find their durability to be far better than their predecessors (the iz a bit more than the is), but to be honest, the grooves on my wedges are so sharp that theyre likely to chew their way through any ball pretty quickly. They definitely last longer than Pro V1 & top end Nike, and are perhaps on a par with Bridgestone.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 28 Feb 2011, 6:26 pm

Does anyone have lower swing speeds than 95mph and what ball do they use/recommend.

over 80mph but under 95 i should say

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 28 Feb 2011, 6:43 pm

The amateur average is probably around 70 mph or so... So pretty much anything you like really as most of the mid-range models on the market will be for that sort of level.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 28 Feb 2011, 6:47 pm

cool thx

thats as i expected, at the moment just using lake balls. Was just interested to know if there would have been much difference.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 28 Feb 2011, 7:03 pm

Thats not to say that there won't be certain balls that are better than others for you.

Try a few and see what you like.

Also... lake balls aren't great. You will lose something with refurbs or straight lake balls.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by dewsweeper Mon 28 Feb 2011, 10:46 pm

Nay Bother wrote:Does anyone have lower swing speeds than 95mph and what ball do they use/recommend.

Hi

My swing speed is now lower than my age,unfortunately, I am 71.
I use Srixon Soft Feel in summer and, please do not scoff , Pinnacle Dimension in winter.
My Pro sells the latter at £12 a dozen and the Srixons at £14,both very good value.
I rely on a good short game and putting,it is all I practise these days.
Both of these balls are well worth a try as they do feel responsive off the club and are durable(I don't hit far enough to lose balls these day)
In my opinion there are many lower compression balls on the market to suit slower swing speeds,my Pro even tossed me a sleeve of Pinnacle Pink Lady balls to try.they were good but not worth the mickey taking I got off my pals!!!!!!!

dewsweeper

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 28 Feb 2011, 11:25 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:The amateur average is probably around 70 mph or so... So pretty much anything you like really as most of the mid-range models on the market will be for that sort of level.

That seems quite low to me LJ. I would have thought that my swingspeed is about average and on a driver it is around the 90mph mark. One of my playing partners has a very lazy swing and his is 80-85mph. He uses a srixon zsomething, whereas I like a softer ball because I do not generate a lot of backspin
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 28 Feb 2011, 11:31 pm

I'm using Maxfli/Taylormade Noodle Long and Soft at present, picked up on OnlineGolf at £14.99 for 36, finding with driver and low-mid irons especially that they soaring with a lovely penetrative flight. Also have a nice feel on/around the green. Definately not as soft as ProV1 and the like but are a tiny fraction of the cost.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 28 Feb 2011, 11:33 pm

85ish is around average for most players with a driver. And most S flex shafts are rated at around that impact speed. 70 isn't far off... 75 at a push.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 28 Feb 2011, 11:38 pm

Well, as always, when it comes to shafts and swingspeeds, I will bow to your extensive knowledge, because up until 3 months ago, I did not have a clue what my swingspeed was at impact. I just knew that I had a habit of going too fast on my backswing. Hmm that sounds like another problem brewing Shocked now where did I put Dolly?
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 28 Feb 2011, 11:49 pm

Surprised to hear no love for the prov1 as I really like it. Apart from the winter months when you may as well hit a commando I get a noticeable increase in distance with a pro v1.

It seems to respond well to a more controlled swing, more so than other balls. It just feels so good to sweet spot the pro v1.

Another ball that I like almost as much is the srixon z star.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 01 Mar 2011, 8:04 am

Dewsweeper great to see that you're still knocking a few down. With regard to your comment about the ladies ball, someone told me once, that in winter it can be better for a ladies ball to be used for most players. Even the old type balatta balls would work better in cold wet conditions, but not tried it.

I'll be giving the Srixon Z Star a whirl to see how I get on, but funny about the ProV1 comments isn't it. It seems over 95% (Small group) of us don't like them, yet they spend millions on advertising each year, much more than the competition. thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue 01 Mar 2011, 9:27 am

Shanker lots of people mistake quick for fast.

You could swing it in less than a second but because of the way in which they release is timed and various other things struggle to get it above 70 or 80 mph with any club. Most balls that are targetted at mid range players and higher have a compression designed to take advantage of that sort of impact speed. Obviously the demographic of the player will have an impact due to age, body type and so on... but that's not a bad estimate. The thing is that people think that they swing it faster when all they are really doing is swinging it harder... Not the same thing.

Look for example at the speed ratings for a Dynamic Gold.

An R300 is probably one of the most popular shafts on the market. It's fitted as standard into almost all off the shelf sticks and although it works for most players is often said to be a bit stiff... That's rated at 75-85 mph for a 5 iron.

The misconception comes with the speed rating on some of these balls being <105 mph is amateur average... but that's a premium ball (for the RX and RXS) targetting the average competitive amateur. Very different.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Tue 01 Mar 2011, 10:15 am

I have tried a couple of "cheaper" balls over the winter Titliest NXT tour, Srixon Z star and Callaway Diablo and really like the Diablo. Its very straight of the driver but stops well on the greens. The Z star has too much spin, going right or left easily on drives and pulling back a lot on the greens. The NXT feels hard on the putter and drives werent as long as the Diablo and the Diablos are only £18 a dozen as opposed to £26 for NXT and £22 for Z stars

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 01 Mar 2011, 10:33 am

HiGun,

What were the Diablo's like off the putter and around the greens compared with the NXT's?

I've been using the Nike One Vapour's this winter and just found the covers to scuff so so easily. Go through at least 3 a round and now have a practice bag full of scuffed Nikes for my efforts!?!?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Tue 01 Mar 2011, 11:03 am

Sharrison,
A bit softer on the putter than the NXT but not nearly as soft as the Z star, fine around the greens though, that said greens are quite soft at the minute. Cover on the Diablo is pretty scuff proof too, our course plays 15 hole comps in the winter and the diablo will get round the 15 in decent nick, wouldnt want to go much further with it though and wouldnt use it again in anger. Its a good ball and perfect for winter golf, certainly worth a go for the money.

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 01 Mar 2011, 5:23 pm

Marcus wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

I find their durability to be far better than their predecessors (the iz a bit more than the is), but to be honest, the grooves on my wedges are so sharp that theyre likely to chew their way through any ball pretty quickly. They definitely last longer than Pro V1 & top end Nike, and are perhaps on a par with Bridgestone.

Hmm. Ta for that. May have to give them a blast this Summer thumbsup.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by dewsweeper Tue 01 Mar 2011, 5:57 pm

Doc wrote:Dewsweeper great to see that you're still knocking a few down. With regard to your comment about the ladies ball, someone told me once, that in winter it can be better for a ladies ball to be used for most players. Even the old type balatta balls would work better in cold wet conditions, but not tried it.

I'll be giving the Srixon Z Star a whirl to see how I get on, but funny about the ProV1 comments isn't it. It seems over 95% (Small group) of us don't like them, yet they spend millions on advertising each year, much more than the competition. thumbsup

Hi Doc

Yes, still still trying to master this great game,it's one of thejoys of golf you can still play and even be competitive with the handicap system.I am actually hoping to get my H/C down this season after going up to 15 over the last two years due to health reasons,back to full fitness now,hope to get back to 12 or 13 with a bit of luck.
I really believe, for older golfers in particular but also for anyone with a slower swing speed (dodgy ground here,no one likes to admit to a slow speed unless like me they can blame it on age!!!) that low compression balls are the way to go.Even the golf mags have been suggesting this over the last few months.

I notice you are from Cheshire.I play at Warrington have you played it? Really good nick all year round and despite being at bit short by todays standards quite tricky though due to playing around a hill rather than up and down.Marvellous views all round the county.

dewsweeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue 01 Mar 2011, 9:28 pm

dewsweeper wrote:
Nay Bother wrote:Does anyone have lower swing speeds than 95mph and what ball do they use/recommend.

Hi

My swing speed is now lower than my age,unfortunately, I am 71.
I use Srixon Soft Feel in summer and, please do not scoff , Pinnacle Dimension in winter.
My Pro sells the latter at £12 a dozen and the Srixons at £14,both very good value.
I rely on a good short game and putting,it is all I practise these days.
Both of these balls are well worth a try as they do feel responsive off the club and are durable(I don't hit far enough to lose balls these day)
In my opinion there are many lower compression balls on the market to suit slower swing speeds,my Pro even tossed me a sleeve of Pinnacle Pink Lady balls to try.they were good but not worth the mickey taking I got off my pals!!!!!!!

Ha Ha thanks, i was at the range tonight and they were selling sleeves of the Pinnacle Pink Lady balls, couldnt bring my self to buy them though

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down