The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets vs Edinburgh

+8
Dorothy_Mantooth
funnyExiledScot
Smirnoffpriest
Manky-Flanker
RuggerRadge2611
mckay1402
ScarletSpiderman
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scarlets vs Edinburgh - Page 2 Empty Scarlets vs Edinburgh

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 06 Oct 2011, 1:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

From planetrugby.co.uk:

"Edinburgh coach Michael Bradley has made just one change to the side that upset champions Munster last week for Friday's clash away to with Scarlets. Prop Shaun Knight, who is on loan from Gloucester, comes into the front-row as a straight swap for Lewis Niven, who begins the match on the bench. Two other changes have been made to the bench with Robin Hilsop and Hamish Watson supplanted by Jack Gilding as a front-row replacement and the experience back-row Alan MacDonald, who returns to the fold for the first time since May, having completed his return from injury with a run-out for Heriot's last weekend.

"Beating Munster was great and the manner in which we played was very rewarding, keeping the pace of the game up and producing two fantastic tries," said Bradley. "We also defended exceptionally well and showed a lot of physicality in attack which gave us space going forward; something we've been bringing into our game and is a key element of our plans going forward. It's very important that we continue that form and that approach away against Scarlets this weekend."

Edinburgh travel to Llanelli in search of their first win on the road this season, while their hosts seek to bring a close to a four match losing streak.

"Scarlets are somewhat hamstrung by their commitment to Wales, with the majority of their backline in New Zealand, so it's a good opportunity for us to perform well and go for an away win which would be very important to us and our season," added Bradley.

Meanwhile, with a number of players picking up injuries in the past few weeks, Scarlets had a series of late fitness tests on Thursday. Making the race back from injury to the field are Andy Fenby on the wing, Dan Evans at full-back as well as Dominic Day and Aaron Shingler in the second row. Fly-halfAled Thomas has retained his place at number 10 after a strong performance against Treviso last weekend. Having impressed at training so far this season the talented 19-year-old Rhodri Williams gets his first start at scrum-half whilst Rhodri Gomer Davies returns following an illness last week. Those unavailable for selection include current skipper Iestyn Thomas, prop (calf strain), Nick Reynolds, wing/centre (ankle), Lou Reed, second row (knee), Josh Turnbull, back row (shoulder).

The region has been boosted by the news that Wales and Scarlets captain Matthew Rees has returned to his first week of training and conditioning after his recent neck operation and is making excellent progress. He is expected to return to action at the end of this month. Returning internationals from World Cup Duty for the Scarlets will include Fiji captain Deacon Manu (Prop), Scottish flyer Sean Lamont (wing/centre) and new signing Tongan second row giant Sione Timani. Manu has picked up a shoulder knock so will not return for a fortnight with Sean Lamont being rest for another week.

"We've had a short turnaround for this game, it's been a very focused week for us and despite the squad being stretched with injuries and bumps," said Scarlets Defence Coach Simon Easterby. "We know that we've got to improve our position in the league, but there's been no dent in confidence here, its been more about getting the best out of our performance and if we get that right the results will come."

Form: Scarlets have slipped to four straight defeats in the RaboDirect PRO12, whilst they have not lost five in a row in the tournament since season 2007/08. The WestWalians have won their last four encounters with Scottish opponents. Edinburgh's last four matches have all been won by the home side on the day, whilst Edinburgh's only away win in the tournament since December 2009 came at Aironi, 10-9, on 2 October 2010. Scarlets won both encounters last season, whilst Edinburgh have not won at Parc y Scarlets since 4 December 2009.

The teams:

Scarlets: 15 Dan Newton, 14 Lee Williams, 13 Rhodri Gomer Davies, 12 Gareth Maule (capt), 11 Andy Fenby, 10 Aled Thomas, 9 Rhodri Williams, 8 Ben Morgan. 7 Richie Pugh, 6 Rob McCusker, 5 Damian Welch, 4 Aaron Shingler 3 Rhys Thomas, 2 Emyr Phillips, 1 Phil John.
Replacements: 16 Kirby Myhill, 17 Peter Edwards, 18 Rhodri Jones, 19 Dominic Day, 20 Johnathan Edwards, 21 Ruki Tipuna, 22 Adam Warren, 23 Liam Williams.

Edinburgh: 15 Jim Thompson, 14 Lee Jones, 13 Matt Scott, 12 James King, 11 Tim Visser, 10 Gregor Hunter, 9 Greig Laidlaw (c), 8 Stuart McInally, 7 Roddy Grant, 6 David Denton, 5 Sean Cox, 4 Grant Gilchrist, 3 Shaun Knight, 2 Steven Lawrie, 1 Kyle Traynor.
Replacements: 16 Alun Walker, 17 Lewis Niven, 18 Jack Gilding, 19 Esteban Lozada, 20 Alan MacDonald, 21 Chris Leck, 22 Phil Godman, 23 Tom Brown.

Date: Friday 7 October
Venue: Parc y Scarlets
Kick-off: 19.05 BST (18.05 GMT)
Referee: Dudley Phillips ((IRFU) "

3 players on development contracts in the starting XV for Embra (4, 10 & 13) - an impressive backing of youth

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scarlets vs Edinburgh - Page 2 Empty Re: Scarlets vs Edinburgh

Post by RDW Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:55 pm

That really was one of the most woeful performances I have seen from Edinburgh in years - and there have been a few clangers!

Scrum ripped to shreads, poor at the breakdown, so many handling errors, flimsy defence.

I suppose the thing with such a young team is the lack of consistency week on week - the highs of last week with the very low lows of this weel.

Pretty grim stuff having just almost recovered from that shambles the was Scotland in the world cup!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm

me neither, but it was just the result we needed. A happy Scarlet over here, but commiserations to Edinburgh OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm

I just got back from the game, it took me 40 minutes to do a drive that normally takes 5-7 minutes... I hate the M4 around Margam at rush hour it's insane steam. I nearly gave up on the journey but thankfully I went all the way.
I got there 15 minutes before kick off, luckily so didn't miss it.

I thought the Scarlets went pretty well tonight, considering the team they had out, when it was announced prior to the game I was very worried, but they pulled through which was a fantastic accomplishment!
Even the regulars in the stand were quizzical over a few of the guys who were named from what I could understand from their conversations.
Though their fans starting a conversation in English and finishing it in Welsh is always very confusing for me when I go to that ground.

The only black spot for me was again young scrum half Rhodri Williams, his service was (again) terrible, he dithers so much at the break down he kills any chance of the Scarlets getting quick ball, and so their momentum goes. If that wasn't bad enough he was made to look like a prop forward when their number 14 Lee Jones made him look very silly by swerving round him for a try in the second half. He was pulled off shortly after (thankfully).
The replacement scrum half had much quicker service and the Scarlets took control quickly and killed the game off.

Nigel Davies has a track record of producing quality backs, so I guess you must trust his judgement with playing Rhodri Williams, but I am just not seeing the potential of the kid, despite his young age. He just looks totally out of his depth at this level, he needs another few seasons in the Welsh Premiership.

I was actually amazed to see a Scottish winger with dazzling feet, thankfully after he scored they announced his name as Lee Jones so I'm going to assume it's the Welsh blood in him Whistle.

I thought Ben Morgan had a great game, the Scottish looked terrified of him by the end of he game and he looked like he was enjoying it! that will do his confidence the world of good.

One thing I always seem to forget to do is to get my ticket in the terraces so I can hunt down rugbydreamer and give her a smooch kiss , sadly I always seem to end up in the South Stand, though I was near Phil Bennett , and the Scarlets analyst team which was nice.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Oct 2011, 5:26 am

Shocked

ah Rhodri's not so bad. Does need to improve his service but he is a sniping type of scrum half and he's looking to do things, just needs to improve his execution. Needs the experience so well done Nige for giving it to him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 08 Oct 2011, 6:57 am

I wondered why nige put rhodri in instead of tipuna - rhods did sum nice snipin but made so many bad errors and bad decision makin,that we lookd a lot better with tipuna on

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:16 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Shocked

ah Rhodri's not so bad. Does need to improve his service but he is a sniping type of scrum half and he's looking to do things, just needs to improve his execution. Needs the experience so well done Nige for giving it to him.
It's too soon I think hun Sad
He needs a few years at Llanelli RFC before he steps up to regional rugby, he looks like a bunny in head lights at the moment.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:38 am

Sounds like Chunk and Dickinson are under no threat from young Traynor.

Pleased for Lee Jones. Scotland badly need a quality finisher, and he's made a great start to the season. No more Webster please.

Funny that Edinburgh are struggling whilst Glasgow are not. I know it's early days, but I really thought Edinburgh would do well at the start of the season, certainly with that backline.

Poor start for Bradley. He seems to be matching his nothing reputation. Great appointment.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:52 pm

Alyn - in fairness I don't think that Rhodri has done too bad, esepecially considering the non-experienced backs around him. I appreciate that he is still very young, but the Scarlets have no chance at the title this season, so blooding youngsters is probably the best option, providing we can stay ahead of one of the regional rivals.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2