The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best 10 Fielders In Cricket History

+14
Leff
Corporalhumblebucket
Gregers
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Issac Watson
Mike Selig
ShankyCricket
dummy_half
wadey101
Mad for Chelsea
guildfordbat
Fists of Fury
Hoggy_Bear
Stella
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best 10 Fielders In Cricket History Empty Best 10 Fielders In Cricket History

Post by Stella Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:43 pm

Onto the fielders.

In no particular order.

Roger Harper
Colin Bland
Bobby Simpson
Jonty Rhodes
Gus Logie
Ricky Ponting
Derek Randall
Viv Richards
Herchelle Gibbs
Andrew Symonds

Last edited by Stella on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Best 10 Fielders In Cricket History Empty Re: Best 10 Fielders In Cricket History

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:51 pm

Although it's difficult to judge players you haven't seen, a few players who might be worth considering include:

Gilbert Jessop
Learie Constantine
Neil Harvey
Richie Benaud
Alan Davidson
Gary Sobers

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Best 10 Fielders In Cricket History Empty Re: Best 10 Fielders In Cricket History

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:56 pm

Don't forget Trevor Penney, he was an electric fielder.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:59 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Don't forget Trevor Penney, he was an electric fielder.

He was but he didn't play tests.

Maybe I should change the title.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 06 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

I seem to remember him coming on as a sub for England once Whistle haha

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

Paul Collingwood
Tillkartne Dilshan
Viv Richards
James Anderson
Derek Randall
Jonty Rhodes
Andrew Symonds
Herschelle Gibbs
Mahela Jawyardene
learie Constantine

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 06 Oct 2011, 3:34 pm

You've got to include Gary Pratt if only to wind up the Aussies!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 06 Oct 2011, 3:36 pm

Laugh Absolutely.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 06 Oct 2011, 3:36 pm

guildfordbat wrote:You've got to include Gary Pratt if only to wind up the Aussies!

He could replace Ponting in my list Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:46 pm

Right well fielding wise you have to settle for those you've actually seen, which makes my life a lot easier.

Gibbs
Ponting
Collingwood
Rhodes
Mark Waugh
Mark Taylor
Harper
Symonds
Bell (best short leg fielder I've ever seen)
Anderson

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:00 pm

Can undestand Anderson being put in if it was a "best fielding fast bowlers" thread but he surely can't make it into a top 10 fielders of all time thread.

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

best I've seen wadey, which only goes back to about 96. Anderson IMO is currently in the top 3 fielders in the world, and given fielding standards have as a rule improved since I started watching he qualifies for me. Obviously had I been old enough to see Bland, Richards, Randall and the others he probably wouldn't be in there...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:15 pm

Fair enough, but I think Anderson is overated as a fielder and gets praised a lot more because it's unusual for a fast bowler to be a good fielder.

My ten would be:

Jonty Rhodes
Herchelle Gibbs
Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting
Colin Bland
Derek Randall
A.B Devilliers
Andrew Symonds
Mohammad Kaif
Roger Harper

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:17 pm

MFC
I'm not old enough to have seen Bland, but my understanding was he was considered a freak because he actually practiced fielding, and in particular throwing at the stumps.

Richards and Arkle were both extremely athletic fielders and would still be considered amongst the better fielders in a side, but perhaps wouldn't be viewed as outstanding (although of course their younger clones would be better for the organised practice and coaching that now goes on).

Also, there is the question of what criteria you use to judge a fielder - catching (slip and in the outfield), ability to get to the ball and gather quickly, power of their arm, accuracy.
Kevin Pieterson (for example) is very good ground fielder because he gets to the ball quickly, throws himself around and can throw accurately on the move, but he isn't always the most reliable catcher, so how do you rank him against say Botham or Bobby Simpson, who were outsanding slip catchers but rarely fielded in the deep?

Have to say though the best single bit of fielding I've ever seen was the run-out Roger Harper pulled off on Gooch in the Centenary test - GG used his feet and hit a firm straight drive that would have gone just to the on side of the stumps. Harper fields on his follow through (helped because he had some wingspan), and throws down the stumps behind Gooch which necessitated slightly spinning the ball round Gooch, who was still well out of his ground. Great fielding, and probably the only time in his entire Test career Harper got some turn Very Happy

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:41 pm

The best I have seen
off the top of my head(not in any order)

Jonty
ABD
Gibbs
Colly
Pollard
Punter
Symmo
Warner
Bell
Pup

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:42 pm

steve smith instead of clarke in the above list

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:14 am

I think we need to be a bit more precise: are we talking relative (to era and team) or absolute standards here? Because honestly if we're talking absolute standards I think the improvement of fielding standards in most countries make Jonty Rhodes a borderline pick, and anyone before him shouldn't be considered. Good as someone like Randall was (based on footage) he wasn't in the same class as Clarke, Ponting, Symonds, Gibbs, AB, Collingwood, Anderson, Smith (Steve), Pollard, Warner, Bell, Morgan, Raina, Imran Nazir, Guptill, I could go on...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Issac Watson Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:24 pm

amla is the best close in fielder i have ever seen, his catch to get strauss for a duck last england went to south africa was freakishly good.

Issac Watson

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 07 Oct 2011, 7:06 pm

Bell is another brilliant close fielder Issac, not much to split them.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

No-one has a highlight reel like Collingwoods, the guy was the master of the spectacular catch.

There may have been some great slip catchers and keepers in the past but the athleticism of outfielding today blows anyone from before the 90's out of the equation for me.
Fielding is the one discipline that has genuinly improved beyond recognition in modern cricket. Gone are the days were a player stands out because they can get the ball to the keeper without relaying it.
Remeber when direct hits were rare? Now fielders regularly aim for the stumps side on from outside the circle after a pick up on the run in one smooth action. 20 years ago people wouldnt have even though of trying some of the stuff people pull off routinely now.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 08 Oct 2011, 1:59 pm

Some extremely good fielders mentioned and points made in the posts above.

I agree with Mike and Peter that fielding standards have improved enormously over the last twenty years and appreciate the case they make about the superiority of the modern fielder. I do though believe there were certain fielders pre 1990 who had such natural talent and self dedication that at their peak they would not be far behind those of today. If those particular players from earlier eras had been able to experience the coaching, practice sessions, diet and fitness regimes of today, who knows how far they might have excelled?

As well as the nominations already made, I would give a shout to a few others from yesteryear and around the world. In particular: Paul Sheehan, Ross Edwards (both Australia), Eknath Solkar (India), Graham Roope (England) and in his prime Clive Lloyd (West Indies).

Dummy's comment as to where these guys are to field is also particularly relevant. If your life depended on a slip catch, Botham would be a good choice. However, if the same depended on a thirty yard sprint round the boundary edge and a diving stop to prevent a four .... well, you might as well start kissing your nearest and dearest goodbye rather than expecting Beefy to save the day and you!

It also needs to be appreciated that a great fielder will not necessarily be a test class batsman or bowler and thus might remain pretty unknown to the cricketing public. I would flag a couple from past years in the English county game:

* Alan Ealham of Kent - Mark's father, who played from the mid sixties until the end of the seventies. Despite looking like he ate three full meals every day in a transport cafe, he was a fine catcher and surprisingly athletic fielder in almost all positions. Had a particularly strong and accurate arm.

* Jim Foat of Gloucs - a lorry driver during the winter months but a jobbing cricketer throughout the seventies who was often selected for his county side more on account of his excellent fielding than his ordinary batting.

The person I've watched the last two seasons - and regular Surrey readers know where this is going - who I'm convinced will play for England is also already an exceptional fielder. I'm of course referring to Jason Roy. His run out of Dimi Mascarenhas in a t20 game at the Oval this summer was even better than Harper's wonderful dismissal of Gooch as rightly praised by Dummy.

The dismissals of Mascarenhas and Gooch are respectively the first and second best I've ever seen by fielders. The third is by the relatively unknown (well to most of you, I guess) Jackie Bond of Lancs. I posted a clip of that earlier today on Fists' 'Great Game Changing Moments' thread.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sat 08 Oct 2011, 2:21 pm

Rhodes
ABV
Pollard
Angelo Mathews
Dwayne Bravo
Gibbs
Colly
Ian Bell
Dilshan
Mark Waugh
Steve Waugh

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 08 Oct 2011, 2:27 pm

rather shamefully forgot about AB deVilliers in my previous post Sorry

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 08 Oct 2011, 5:41 pm

Many excellent suggestions made. In some ways I agree it's easier to pick out some of the older names, simply because they stood out so much, especially Bland and Randall.

Roope was an outstanding slip fielder - I saw more of his catches live than all the others mentioned in posts above, put together. It's a shame that so many of his full length horizontal takes at second slip were only seen by couple of hundred people at the Oval...

Guildford - well remembered Ealham and Jim "Foats like a butterfly, stings like a bee"!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 08 Oct 2011, 6:02 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Guildford - well remembered Ealham and Jim "Foats like a butterfly, stings like a bee"!

Thanks, Corporal. That made me remember another old comment that might cause both a frown and a smile for a Hammer like you. Brian Clough said of Trevor Brooking: ''He floats like a butterfly and stings like one too.'' Best 10 Fielders In Cricket History 57983 Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 09 Oct 2011, 2:35 pm

Stella, I am eagerly waiting for you create a thread about top 10 baldies vs full-haired. Smile

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 09 Oct 2011, 3:08 pm

I have no doubt whatsoever that if the previous great fielders had had the same coaching as modern players they would be as good as anything we've ever seen.

Anyway, time for me to get off the fence:
In relative terms:
Jonty
Randall
Bland
M. Waugh (best slipper ever IMO)
Ponting
Collingwood
AbdV
Bell (short leg and gully)
Bevan (can't believe no one has mentioned him, in the outfield he was sensational)
Viv Richards (how many run-outs?)

Absolute terms:
Jonty (just)
AbdV
Collingwood
Ponting
M. Waugh (for slips)
Bell
Warner (probably a better outfielder than Bevan but not comparitively)
Pollard
Bravo
Symonds

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sun 09 Oct 2011, 3:19 pm

How did I forget BEVAN!

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 09 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

ouch! forgot Bevan too...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 09 Oct 2011, 3:30 pm

guildfordbat wrote:That made me remember another old comment that might cause both a frown and a smile for a Hammer like you. Brian Clough said of Trevor Brooking: ''He floats like a butterfly and stings like one too.'' Best 10 Fielders In Cricket History 57983 Very Happy

Guildford - I would love to have seen Trevor Brooking playing in more modern times when opponents who went in for the kind of scything tackles to which he was often subject would presumably have been sent off with great regularity. Very Happy

Back on topic I meant to put in a word for Bobby Simpson at slip - I only ever "saw" him catching on the radio - but he never seemed to miss anything.....

I was also puzzled by a reference to KP's fielding prowess. He may have improved of recent times but my recollection was that when he first played test cricket he dropped about six chances in a row before he finally managed to hold on to one....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 Oct 2011, 4:11 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
I was also puzzled by a reference to KP's fielding prowess.

Corporal - I would guess this positive reference to KP was not made by Sir Winston .... Wink

Re: Jackie Bond as mentioned above and on another thread by me. Do you remember him? If not, I fear I'm the only one!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 09 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

guildfordbat wrote: Re: Jackie Bond as mentioned above and on another thread by me. Do you remember him? If not, I fear I'm the only one!

Guildford - I certainly do remember Jack Bond - a fairly modest performer as a batsman but who excelled as captain of Lancs. There were quite a lot of memorable Lancs players of around that vintage - including Simmonds, Hughes, Shuttleworth, Lever, Engineer, Clive Lloyd, Hayes (the next great hope for English batting!)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 Oct 2011, 4:34 pm

Corporal - thought and certainly hoped you would remember Jackie Bond! Good roll call of Lancs players by the way. You can also add David ''Bumble'' Lloyd and ''Little'' Harry Pilling to your list ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketfan12 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 9:35 am

The best I have seen

Rhodes
Gibbs
Mark Waugh (could field anywhere)
Harper
Collingwood
Anderson
Ponting
Richards
De Villiers
Boon (as a close in fielder)

cricketfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 19 Apr 2012, 9:37 am

cricketfan12 wrote:The best I have seen

Rhodes
Gibbs
Mark Waugh (could field anywhere)
Harper
Collingwood
Anderson
Ponting
Richards
De Villiers
Boon (as a close in fielder)

Nice list.

Logie was brilliant close in as well.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:08 am

Rhodes
Gibbs
de Villiers
Duminy
FAF du Plessis
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 19 Apr 2012, 2:51 pm

biltongbek wrote:
FAF du Plessis

Ah thats why they pick him

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 19 Apr 2012, 3:37 pm

biltongbek wrote:Rhodes
Gibbs
de Villiers
Duminy
FAF du Plessis

poor old Gibbs. Fantastic fielder but unfortunately his fielding will always be remembered for "that" drop.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:23 pm

It wasn't a "drop" it was a premature ejacu.... er sorry premature celebration. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm

Best I've seen would include:

Bobby Simpson (brilliant first slip)
Clive Lloyd (simply electric in the covers in his younger days)
Colin Bland
Derek Randall
Roger Harper
Peter Parfitt
Graham Roope
Nick Knight (wonderful all-round fielder)
Paul Collingwood (ditto)
Tony Lock (terrific close catcher)
Phil Sharpe (one of the great slips)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 30 Apr 2012, 12:27 pm

I see little mention of Trevor Penney - surely one of the finest fielders?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 30 Apr 2012, 12:31 pm

I never thought of Knight as being a great fielder. Penney was excellent in the covers/point from what I recall.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Mon 30 Apr 2012, 1:20 pm

I think that, if you look at the top 10 fielders realative to their contemporaries and exclude those whose reputation is based on their work in the slips (unfair I know), you'd probably come up with a list something like:

Gilbert Jessop
Learie Constantine
Neil Harvey
Gary Sobers
Colin Bland
Derek Randall
Roger Harper
Jonty Rhodes
Ricky Ponting
AB De Villiers

If you were factoring in slip-fielders you'd have to consider the likes of:
Hammond
Miller
Simpson
Botham
Waugh M.
Flintoff

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Apr 2012, 2:21 pm

If it's just slips then very very very old geezers like John Tunnicliffe (19th century Yorkshireman) might get in. What about Jayawardene and all those slip catches off Murali? Colin Cowdrey was a very good slip, as was Graeme Hick (another good all-round fielder).

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 30 Apr 2012, 2:25 pm

Hick was good in the slips or on the boundary thumbsup

Dravid was a good slipper as well. Although he dropped a few in his last year or so.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 30 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

No Monty Panesar?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:32 pm

Mention Monty and it's worth considering the WORST fielders of all time. Reckon room must be found for Devon Malcolm in this category. Anyone else spring to mind ?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm

Tufnell?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:43 pm

Ah, yes. Good old Tuffers.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 30 Apr 2012, 9:44 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Best I've seen would include:
Graham Roope
clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next