The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gene Fullmer.. How do the "highbrow" rate him?

2 posters

Go down

Gene Fullmer.. How do the "highbrow" rate him? Empty Gene Fullmer.. How do the "highbrow" rate him?

Post by Joshsmith Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:30 pm

Fullmer beat the Champion Robinson to win the Middleweight belt in jan. 57 no doubt about the decision.
No doubt also about the next time Robinson fought Fullmer May 57 (Fullmer had fought twice inbetween) was caught with the "perfect punch"
He went on to fight Robinson twice again and never lost..
How do the chaps on here rate Fullmer?

Joshsmith

Back to top Go down

Gene Fullmer.. How do the "highbrow" rate him? Empty Re: Gene Fullmer.. How do the "highbrow" rate him?

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:46 pm

Very, very highly, to the point where I have absolutely no hesitation about slotting him in amongst the names who I believe compromise the ten greatest Middleweights of all time. The Utah man would be at the lower end of that list, but still a definite feature in it all the same.

For a fighter who, from the outset, seemed so limited, Fullmer's record is remarkably consistent. Very few defeats on his record which could be classed as shocking / highly disappointing etc, and very few 'safe' defences of his title during his reign. I don't think his shortcomings against Tiger should be held against him all that much either, for two reasons. First off, Fullmer was coming to the end of what was, in every sense of the word, a gruelling career, and secondly because Tiger was one hell of a Middleweight champion in his own right. Prior to lifting the title, his only loss of real significance came to Lausse, but let's remember that Lausse was arguably the best natural 160 lb fighter of all time to never lift the crown.

I think Fullmer's achievements, considering that he was a brawler without a genuine knockout punch, are remarkable. Certainly part of the all-time elite at 160 lb, a truly great fighter.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Gene Fullmer.. How do the "highbrow" rate him? Empty Re: Gene Fullmer.. How do the "highbrow" rate him?

Post by Joshsmith Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:45 pm

Very well put 05Chrisi have have been trying to clue myself up on the black and white days of boxing.. 1st guy i came across was Fullmer and what a great find it was, not only for fighting Robinson 4 times but having only lost once. Also i find myself agreeing with you about Dick Tiger a very very hard Nigerian..

Joshsmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down