The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorting out the enigma that is England : Organisational and structural problems

+9
Gatts
LordDowlais
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
formerly known as Sam
tomathy
Geordie
aitchw
Shifty
Portnoy
13 posters

Go down

Sorting out the enigma that is England : Organisational and structural problems Empty Sorting out the enigma that is England : Organisational and structural problems

Post by Portnoy Tue 11 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

First things first for me for England:

1. Get the RFU sorted out. Which in itself is the most complicated problem in that it relies on the most flatulent of Old Farts to agree that there is a better way. And there again they have to decide to collectively fall on there swords whilst having willed their powers to a more rational overseeing body. [pigs might fly]

2. Make all England Managers/coaches reapply for their jobs. Some have failed comprehensively. Some have addressable shortcomings. Those that know that have personally come up short will not reapply.

3. Reassess England's increasingly dubious performances in European competition.

4. Re-evaluate the share of contributions made to England's' cause in terms of Central Contracts and English talent (not EQP) being beyond the wage cap. England to determine CC-Players' availability for Jeff/European games.

And Mods, please don't merge this again with " England's problems and potential solutions " which is much more centred on technical / personnel problems
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Sorting out the enigma that is England : Organisational and structural problems Empty Re: Sorting out the enigma that is England : Organisational and structural problems

Post by Shifty Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

I'm not really sure how to "fix" English rugby, I do look at Wales and Ireland and the young talent being produced there and then look at England and see they aren't quite producing the number of quality young players.

I think England are being hindered by the fact few younger players are being given oppertunities at Guiness level, and despite English clubs being financially out muscled by French clubs they still continue to bring in non English players.

A also think Johnsons policy of being more than willing to pick players who are "not quite" totally English could be damaging their side. They look a bit like Wales when we had a team full of Australians and New Zealanders, who we simply assumed were better players because of their accents.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Sorting out the enigma that is England : Organisational and structural problems Empty Re: Sorting out the enigma that is England : Organisational and structural problems

Post by aitchw Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:47 pm

Alyn, there are a number of 1st rate academies up and down the country producing excellent youngsters. Many of them figure in the age groups and do well witness England's U20s. I don't know where they go to after but there is no shortage of them. The problem does appear to be related to a: the large foreign contingents and b: national structures for bringing them on. For me the 2 areas therefore are doing something at AP level and a change in attitudes in all sorts of areas at RFU level. The guys who get as far as Saxons seem to just get stuck there and either don't progress as players or don't get fair chance in the Elite squad. Short of a mass change over at the RFU I don't see a solution. I would like to see a more ruthless approach that utilises the Saxons more when Elite squad players don't perform. Once a player establishes themselves at the top table they just keep being picked irrespective of performance. The reliance on imports is not healthy, hasn't generally produced results and is a block to home grown talent.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 12 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Since the World Cup, Squeaky (aka Clerical Assistant with responsibility for paper clips and replacement biros) now gets to report on RWC performance to - nobody probably.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Oct 2011, 3:50 pm

1) Sort out the rfu issues...ie the bigwigs.

2) Change the policy on foreigners (residency etc) and non selection of players playing overseas etc.

3) Change the coaches....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Wed 12 Oct 2011, 3:59 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:1) Sort out the rfu issues...ie the bigwigs.

2) Change the policy on foreigners (residency etc) and non selection of players playing overseas etc.

3) Change the coaches....

I agree that the non-selection of overseas players is a tricky one, but I don't see how the policy of treating people who have qualified on residency equally is one of our problems. Tuilagi, for example, seemed to be the most committed player we had out there.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Oct 2011, 4:01 pm

Thats just one of my issues..... Very Happy Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Wed 12 Oct 2011, 4:02 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Thats just one of my issues..... Very Happy Wink

just to clarify, are you against anyone qualifying on residency, or do you just think the number of years should increase?
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 12 Oct 2011, 4:08 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Thats just one of my issues..... Very Happy Wink

So express your concerns comprehensively GF. I know that at root for you it is a loss of talent from your exceptional academy and being plugged as the ultimate feeder club. What changes from the top-level down would you see as fair and reasonable?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Oct 2011, 4:17 pm

But i should have explained...i was refering to those like Hape etc who have previously represented other teams...which has taken the place of a youngster who could have 2 years international rugby under his belt...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 Oct 2011, 4:21 pm

But portnoy, i dont thin thats an issue with the RFU etc...thats misguidance being given to the kids, or maybe over amibtion at too early a stage. At a time when many should be getting weekly first team premierhsip games...most are gaining spelks on leicester or london irishs benches etc.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 12 Oct 2011, 4:28 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:But portnoy, i dont thin thats an issue with the RFU etc...thats misguidance being given to the kids, or maybe over amibtion at too early a stage. At a time when many should be getting weekly first team premierhsip games...most are gaining spelks on leicester or london irishs benches etc.

In which case you are on the wrong thread GF.

Haddawayman. thumbsup
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 12 Oct 2011, 4:40 pm

I don't think there is a particular issue with residency etc as there are residency qualified players who are overlooked as well as the couple that actually make the team. I think the biggest problem lies with the lack of incentive to plough time and money into producing young talent.

I would therefore like to see the following;

1)Compensation paid by any club signing a player from another who is 21 or under and who has been offered a contract of equal or greater worth to that which he is already on. That way the club who has produced the young player isn't making a loss on their investment and it means big clubs that poach have to give something back.

2)RFU payments to clubs to increase wage budget, therefore teams that provide the most England players and those that take advantage of the rewards for playing EQP players under the age of 24 (the RFU are handing out a financial rewards for this) have more financial power to retain these players.

3)EQPs under the age of 20 do not count towards the salary cap irrespective of how many games they play.

4)The RFU to fight tooth and nail to stop any attempt by SH unions to move the next RWC deeper into the NH season.

As for the RFU there needs to be a committee put together to review the board who should all be forced to re-apply for their positions against competitors. Following this there should be a similar set up used to Rob Andrew and the English first team management/coaches.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 12 Oct 2011, 5:05 pm

Again this is the automatic solution mode rather than the underlying cause identification problem.

I admit that the RFU meltdown occurred during the England RWC campaign but the RFU must sort itself out before any management/coaching issues are decided.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:31 am

Mr Moore in today's Telegraph:

Spoiler:

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:59 am

A pretty damming report there by Brian Moore I must say. I also have to say I agree with everything he has said, except the bit when he said he played for England for nothing, I bet there were a few brown envelopes stuffed into his boots from time to time Wink . I must say though I thoroughly agree about what he said about the kids, who are they supposed to look up to ? I can honestly say that this is the worst England team I have seen at a world cup and their behaviour was unexceptable. I can remember when Colin Charvis was laughing on the subs bench after he came off against Italy in a game we lost, there was a public outcry here in Wales. We also had Mike Phillips and Andy Powell playing up not so long ago, but they were then made examples of, and now the attitude has changed in the Welsh squad. If the attitudes of the English players doesn't change post haste, and the hierarchy does not drag them in and put their feet back on the ground then nothing is going to change for England. These players should be privileged to be where they are now, not arrogant and pompous, what kind of examples are they showing the youngsters in England ? Not the same as the class of 2003 I can tell you.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:04 am

Just read it. Kirwan wouldn't deal with the negative aspects well. Edwards would be a great addition but i think for him it is who he works with and he and Gatts are a fine fit

Dean Richards would fit in nicely but I am afraid his history might have been blighted by Bloodgate and can you imagine what the media with do with any controversy England became involved in!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:14 am

1) Sack the whole England management, the whole RFU and Rob Andrew.

2) Stick Martyn Thomas in the stocks to be pelted with tomatoes by the public.

3)Complete restructure is needed. Instead of employing old farts bring in some new blood.

4) Youth unemployment is at an all time high why not take some young people off the street and getting them working on rejuvenating English rugby. Younger people in general are more open minded,less traditional and will lead to a fresh approach.

The old boys club image needs to be thrown to the dogs. People like Rob Andrew and Clive Woodward should be avoided.

5) More effort needs to be made to get rugby played in all schools. Grassroot levels and up

6)The RFU should have more co operation with the AP clubs. Listen to them and help work together for the best of English rugby.

E.g. the utmost should be done to help with stadium acquisition and expansions of existing ones. If it means pumping in some money then they should do it.

7) Attract more young supporters. They are the future. Of course it's the 40+ who currently make up the core support but if you start young and cultivate a love of rugby it will stay with them throughout their life.

8) Co ordinate with emerging countries like Japan,Russia,USA and Georgia.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 13 Oct 2011, 10:44 am

So in a characteristically act of blind stupidity, Martyn Thomas has given MJ 7-14 days to declare his plans for the future http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15284735.stm

But of course this dismisses entirely the pachyderm in the parlour.

In order to start sorting the problem he, and the rest of of the board should subject themselves to the same scrutiny. Quite honestly the board should put itself in order. Changing stuff below decks is stupidity whilst there can be no pretence of stability in the principal offices at the top.

Get the front office sorted first.

Last edited by Portnoy on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : style and legibility)
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:04 am

Agree completely that PIGS MUST FLY. England Rugby is the ultimate output of the RFU organisation. Therefore the RFU must be sorted as an organisation for England to be successful on an on-going basis. This goes deep to how Rugby is structured and managed throughout England.

Someone mentioned going down to the grass roots. I have a sneaky suspicion that the further one gets from the RFU offices the more successful people are. But we have to start at the top to be ultimately successful.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:11 pm

I dont buy into the idea that the issues within the RFU are the reason that the England team are not performing.

They have nothing to do with what goes on, on the pitch.........its very simple.......

1) Plenty of youngsters like Ben Youngs, etc are picked out for excelling in their club teams..for playing on the front foot / making breaks, taking risks etc.

Why is it then that they suddenly look scared to take a risk, play on the BACK foot...its like their so scared to make a mistake or try anything.

This screams COACHING issues. Poor squad environment.

Now either Johno has to identify this and replace the coaches, or Squeaky takes it upon himself and sacks Johno, hires a manager who brings in coaches who CAN coach properly.

So not big internal RFU issues...its a coaching issue.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:26 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I dont buy into the idea that the issues within the RFU are the reason that the England team are not performing.

They have nothing to do with what goes on, on the pitch.........its very simple.......

1) Plenty of youngsters like Ben Youngs, etc are picked out for excelling in their club teams..for playing on the front foot / making breaks, taking risks etc.

Why is it then that they suddenly look scared to take a risk, play on the BACK foot...its like their so scared to make a mistake or try anything.

This screams COACHING issues. Poor squad environment.

Now either Johno has to identify this and replace the coaches, or Squeaky takes it upon himself and sacks Johno, hires a manager who brings in coaches who CAN coach properly.

So not big internal RFU issues...its a coaching issue.

Before any coaching/management decisions are put in place, the board needs to be sorted.

Some big decisions need to be made - like SCW's potential involvement.

Also the IRB will have to feel confident that they've not made a big mistake by granting RWC2015 to England.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:44 pm

I dont buy into the idea that the issues within the RFU are the reason that the England team are not performing.

True but if you replace Johnno with somebody and then the board changes and that person isn't in favour with the new board he could be seriously undermined and then what progress would be made? No, the management that will be in place for the next 4 years must be the ones to evaluate the RWC performance and make the changes they deem necessary. Can't have half a board with temporary CEO who is facing a third vote of no confidence making those decisions.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

Completely agree. The changes have to be from the top down, with the top guy interviewing and appointing the people he wants and so on.

Yes, turmoil off the field did not need to lead to the mess on the field, and Johnson and his team should not be excused their failings just because the RFU are in a mess. I don't believe that had anything to do with it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:30 pm

I certainly don't think english rugby has a problem with youth development. In the professional era there have never been as many young players playing in the AP (a while back I did a post where I got 3 decent XV's out of the last 4 u20 squads). Also the Championship now has plenty of young players playing professional rubgy, for instance Sam Hill at Pirates and Tommy Bell at Leeds. But it takes time for these players to work through the system.

The RFU are going to change, come what may. What England needs is a signficant change in the senior coaching to get more out of the players we already have.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:35 am

Just to build on that (and stealing from Juggler):

Percentage of EQP players gettign game time each week by club:

Harlequins - 91.7% (last season - 74.9%, up 16.9%)
Gloucester - 88.6% (last season - 66.9%, up 21.7%)
Leicester - 76.5% (last season - 64.3%, up 12.2%)
Northampton - 76.4% (last season - 66.3%, up 10.1%)
Bath - 75.8% (last season - 72.3%, up 3.5%)
Newcastle - 69.2% (last season - 66.4%, up 2.8%)
Saracens - 67.4% (last season - 56.4%, up 11.0%) Consider that under Venter, up until Jan 2011, they were running at around 45% to see the turnaround
Lon Wasps - 67.2% (last season - 69.9%, down 2.7%)
Worcester - 66.1% (last season - n/a)
Sale - 65.0% (last season - 62.5%, up 2.5%)
Lon Irish - 64.6% (last season - 59.9%, up 4.7%)
Exeter - 64.0% (last season - 59.6%, up 4.4%)

EQ starters each week: 136.5, 70.0% (last season - 115.6, 64.2%)
EQ players each week: 195.2, 72.2% (last season - 164.7, 64.7%)

We'll see a drop now that many of the foreign recrutis have come back from the World Cup, as we did 4 years ago. But this is a very good start and continues an upward trend over the last couple of seasons.

So, on average 195 EQed players have been involved per week. That seems plenty to me, and many are young, like Addison, the wing who's played centre for Sale during their impressive start to the season. Also worth noting that Exeter recently supplied 5 of the starting backs in England u18's highly impressive tour of Australia, so their stats should improve over time.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down