The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mav's European & Challenge Tour Weekly Edition - Andalucia Masters

+13
Doon the Water
Davie
LadyPutt
dynamark
Lairdy
mystiroakey
Sand
raycastleunited
princedracula
kwinigolfer
Redrage
JPX
Maverick
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mav's European & Challenge Tour Weekly Edition - Andalucia Masters Empty Mav's European & Challenge Tour Weekly Edition - Andalucia Masters

Post by Maverick Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:49 am

European Tour News:

So to start this week, there are many congratulations on offer to fans favourites, Sergio Garcia and Luke Donald.

Sergio romping home to victory on his home track, a course that he knows probably better than the back of his hand considering he was the club champion there at the tender age of 12, now that’s talent. Regardless of this nothing can be taken away from his win the biggest winning margin on the ET this year, and he had to beat the field I front of him and beat them he did.

Luke doing what champions do, standing on the 9th tee in the final round hadn’t been playing to well all week, out of the running for the win of the event and money list. Dug deep pulled out a World No1 and for want of a better word he “smashed” it. Leaving not only Webb in his wake but also stamping his authority on world golf showing he has the bottle to do it when it counts. Now let’s hope “Dim” Finchem and his cronies don’t find some way of awarding the player of the year award to an American, but how they are trying!

Announcement:
Kwini beat me to it this week on the other thread that is currently running.

The European Tour’s first true ‘tournament of champions’ is now confirmed and will take place from 19th – 22nd January 2012. The Venue is The Fancourt Links in South Africa’s.
The Volvo Golf Champions will be the first solely-sanctioned European Tour event of 2012 and will offer the most valuable purse ever seen on the African continent.

The Champions event is solely open only to European Tour players that have won an event on the previous year’s European Tour Schedule (so for 2012, all winners from 2011 qualify) and to current Tour Members with ten or more European Tour wins to their name e.g. Monty, Olazabal etc. There will be a sizeable amount of money on offer to the field. There should also be a sizeable amount of OGWR points on offer from first to last place hopefully PD nearer the time will be able to give us an idea of exactly how many, and with only something like a dozen events left to qualify for this there is incentive for many player to make the final cut for it.

So to the Event this Week - Andalucía Masters

This week sees the return to the Andalucía Masters at Valderamma a spot that is littered in the history of the ET, what with it being Seve’s Ryder Cup captaincy win on his home soil. A course that has seen many of not only Europe’s, but some of golf’s top names win with the like of Norman et al in years past.

This weeks defending champ GMac will be hoping the Spanish sun stirs his golf to some sort of form that has been clearly lacking all year since his switch to the PGA tour.

1. Not really much to say about this event really in recent years, it used to be after the PGA the big one to win as in was the season Finale but since the inception of the RTD it’s now seemingly another event. It has even lost a little of its prestige, the only real standout names in the field on the OGWR, McDowell, Kaymer and Rose. Then I guess when you consider the event the PGA tour now are running in the same week it’s not a huge surprise.

2. Justin Rose is returning to the ET this week at the scene of one of his most important victories. Rose won the season-ending Volvo Masters at Valderrama in 2007 winning what was a 3 way play-off with Simon Dyson and Søren Kjeldsen, the reason for the wins importance? It was the win that sealed his place at the top of the ET order of merit that year.

3. Valderrama is situated in Sotogrande, Andalucía. The course measures at 6988 yards and comes in at a par 71. The standout hole down the stretch if things get tight at the top will be the Par 5 17th. Not a long Par 5 at just 536 yards; however the green is not overly large and you have to fly it all the way to carry the water hazard to a green which slopes all back towards the water and they have been known to shave the approach which means a lot of balls roll back of the surface into the water.

Challenge Tour

Nothing to report on the challenge tour this week as were still in break period as everyone gets ready for the Challenge Tours grand final event in November where we’ll see cards one, others missing out by the skin of their teeth. All in all it should be an exciting end to the CT season and one that’s been standout for British players with so many in the top 25 for the money race.

*MODs the weekly sticky if you wouldn't mind and removing last weeks Update thanks

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Mav's European & Challenge Tour Weekly Edition - Andalucia Masters Empty Re: Mav's European & Challenge Tour Weekly Edition - Andalucia Masters

Post by JPX Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Tournament of Champions - is an added tournament to the schedule or is it taking the place of a old one?

Seems a bit of a "rich get richer" event - loads of cash and ranking points for those that already have loads. Isn't there already a "Champions" event on tour?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Mav's European & Challenge Tour Weekly Edition - Andalucia Masters Empty Re: Mav's European & Challenge Tour Weekly Edition - Andalucia Masters

Post by Redrage Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:06 pm

I am glad the tour found a new home for Valderamma, it's a course that always sorted the wheat from the chaff. It's a strong field and a tough course, this should be good.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:11 pm

JPX,
This replaces the "Champions" event in Bahrain which won't be taking place in 2012.

Rr,
Pity about some of this week's absentees but some of those on hand will have a lot to play for, the Molinaris and Matteo for instance, Quiros and Jimenez, Peter Hanson; haven't seen any sign of Anders Hansen recently, wonder if he's injured.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:16 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:JPX,
This replaces the "Champions" event in Bahrain which won't be taking place in 2012.

Rr,
Pity about some of this week's absentees but some of those on hand will have a lot to play for, the Molinaris and Matteo for instance, Quiros and Jimenez, Peter Hanson; haven't seen any sign of Anders Hansen recently, wonder if he's injured.

I was surprised that Harrington isn't playing, he goes well around here and is returning to form.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Indeed this replaces the Bahrain event and is a move by the tour make it a fixture at the start of the season much like the Hawaii event is on the PGA tour.

It is good for Valderrama to be a regular spot on the schedule still and there is a decent field it's just a shame not more of the top guys are supporting it anymore, but since the RTD came in and extended the season the importance of Valderrama to the schedule has diminished a little

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:00 pm

This year's rather unexpected appearence of this Shanghai Masters (just ahead of a string of other significant Far East tournaments) has certainly made life difficult for the Andalucia organisers, with a few of the potential competitors chosing to run for the Chinese pot of gold instead (Harrington is one of them). And if that event grows in significance next year, it can potentially get even worse for Valderama...
Good to see they found a replacement for the Bahrain event.. I recall hearing an interview with one of the Volvo organisers of this event earlier in the year, just after those troubles in Bahrain, saying they were pretty confident that they will find a replacement, 'somewhere where is nice and warm'...

Despite the absence of some of the star players this week, Andalucia should be still worth something around 38 owgr points to the winner (same as last year). With Sergio in the field after last week, I really look forward to watching it...

Not sure what happened to Hansen, but he is listed in the HSBC field for next week, so will have to see if he turns up...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:41 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:JPX,

Rr,

I was at Valderrama yesterday. Course was looking very soggy and lush after 3 days of torrential rain, so the course will play long... hardly a problem to the pro's of course.

We were able to wander around the course and clubhouse unchallenged which was quite refreshing, and we watched a number of players practicing, which brings me to the main point of this post. My mate spotted Eduardo Molinari and asked him for a photo. Eduardo was happy to pose so my mate looks around and hands his camera to this kid standing next to us and asks him to take a photo. "Sure" says a bemused Matteo Manasero, raising the camera. The rest of us were in stitches.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:33 pm

ray,
Are you going to the tournament proper?
Some promising looking tee-times, Sergio, Justin Rose and Franny being a good 'un, Kaymer, McDo and the Mechanic would be another. Several more of course.
Wonder if this is the last chance for the Oliver Wilsons of this world to secure their 2012 cards, or will they get in some of the Asian events?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:53 pm

See Sergio is favourite at 11/2... I think hes got a good chance but wow that is skinny...

I was just looking at the RTD although I knew Dougherty had a very poor season I didnt know how poor.. 29 events and 10,200 Eur.. Just as well Di is doing well on Sky.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:04 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:ray,
Are you going to the tournament proper?
Some promising looking tee-times, Sergio, Justin Rose and Franny being a good 'un, Kaymer, McDo and the Mechanic would be another. Several more of course.
Wonder if this is the last chance for the Oliver Wilsons of this world to secure their 2012 cards, or will they get in some of the Asian events?

Sadly not. Back in London now... holidays are far too short! Sad

Sergio has got to be a good bet this week.... a long tight tree lined course that favours long straight hitters who can shape the ball. Small greens so focus is on accurate approach shots.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:08 pm

I think Bjorn will show up well here, he has done in the past and has a lot of experience of the course... and he is playing very well this year. He has a razor sharp short game which really helps around here.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:36 pm

great course Smile

backed david lynn at 80 pts on betfar- not sure why but i think he is due a run and win and maybe the bigger guns in the field arnt in top top form(bar sergio off course)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:13 pm

maybe the bigger guns in the field arnt in top top form

interesting point that when you consider how Kaymer is still insdie the top5 on the RTD standings considering apart form his very very early season win he has done exactly 0... Naff all nothing. WHo'da thought he would suffer such a slump after last year, GMac is on the slide but then he did the same thing last time he tried playing PGA Tour full time. Off the bigger names in the field, Sergio, Rose and Molinari are the best bets as they all drive the ball so well

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:04 am

Great start from Ramsey.. 4 under thru 8.. Taking his last round form especially where he hit every green in reg into this week..

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:49 am

not sure if i would call molinari a top player as yet- certainly has the talent , but has he followed on from his 2010 form- he has lost quite abit of ranking points this year

ramsey is killing it 5 under through 10 - only 3 players under par- so the course is playing tough

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:50 am

as i speak he eagles the 11th lol 7 under par

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:05 am

Sand wrote:Great start from Ramsey.. 4 under thru 8.. Taking his last round form especially where he hit every green in reg into this week..
Probably why I took him at the start e/w at 70/1 Whistle

Cue massive collapse!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:05 am

Ross fisher with a triple bogey on 8 censored to drop to level

Richie ramsey a 6 stroke lead king

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Dougherty at it (or not)again 7 over after 8 including a birdie.
Something very wrong there

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Nick Do, needs to put DiDO down for 5 minutes and concentrate on his holing out on the course not off it. A very talented guy is turning himself in someone that cannot even be classed as an also ran.

If he wants a temporary home for DiDo, i'm sure I can find room for her.

Some interesting scoring today, Ramsey a good round, fine player still not fulfilling his potential that a former US Am champ has, hopefully he can kick on. GMac over par again not surprised, not bothered, is there a more overhyped player?

Sergio just birdies to go -2 through 5. Then SR's favourite human being Lowry also appears near the top early doors.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:27 pm

See Ramsey was never 8 under must have been a mistake with his scoring.
Still a good round tho...

Come on Serg, good start.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:45 pm

yeah i noticed that 8 under thing.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Nick Dougherty +10 after 14 holes and propping up the table Yikes
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:14 pm

I really do wonder about the thought process(was gonna say sicology but cant spell it)of someone in his position(golf wise).Must surely be standing over every shot doubting his ability to execute.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:26 pm

dynamark wrote:I really do wonder about the thought process(was gonna say sicology but cant spell it)of someone in his position(golf wise).Must surely be standing over every shot doubting his ability to execute.

seve and faldo have also been there, and so have the rest of us amatuers. i think its phycology but then i cant spell either.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Psychology thumbsup

And now he's +11 after 16!!!!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:36 pm

I have been there but I have never been anywhere else sadly which makes it a lot easier to sleep at night.This is where the mind docs come in(sikia trist)

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:40 pm

The worst is when you are crushing it on the range and then towards the end of the session a few tommy tanks come out of knowhere- and you are crashed back down to earth like an atomic bomb.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Birdie, eagle to start back nine from Sergio Very Happy

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Dougherty's finished (probably thankfully) at +13.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Sand wrote:Birdie, eagle to start back nine from Sergio Very Happy

Ok put the mockers on him...

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Some more big numbers being shot today. Is the course set-up just very difficult, is the weather bad or what??!!

Would someone confirm the cut-line please? I'm assuming from et.com that it's top fifty??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 pm

The wind is certainly up in andalucia and combine with the course being cut tight it seems a lot of players are struggling to cope with it. Certainly be worth keeping an eye on Sergio coming through the pack over the weekend, he was hitting some serioulsy wind piercing iron shots yesterday it was majestic to watch.

The cut line should be around the T50 and ties out here, which is a regular occurence in this event. Wouldn't be suprised to see this beig one of the highest scoring cut lines this year currently at +5 and can't see it going any lower, possibly higher though maybe +6 at close of play

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Rustin Jose is moving up nicely!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks guys,
Only Jose and two others (Echenique and OllieFisher) at -2 or better. Ramsay looks like he's coming down to earth, Sergio and Justin could be in the lead next time I blink.

Still think it's a great shame and an indictment on the money grabbers that this event is not supported by lw1, midgetmac, Monty and the others. A great chance missed for the E.T. to be leading the golfing world at this time of year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Your spot on Kwini with all that...

Think if Sergio and Justin can get in at -2 would be surprised if they werent leading or at worst 1 off.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Still think it's a great shame and an indictment on the money grabbers that this event is not supported by lw1, midgetmac, Monty and the others. A great chance missed for the E.T. to be leading the golfing world at this time of year.

100% agree with that Kwini, the playing of the money spinning Shanghai shin dig, has in effect taken the shine off what is one of the great ET events and Venues. Good to see Kaymer, Rose, McDowell etc sticking to a proper sanctioned event that is about the win and not about the money.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Bit of a hiccup for Rustin with back to back bogeys but he's still looking like he'll be in good shape for the weekend

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Another bogey for Rose...

A par for Sergio and thats a good round if he does that.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Three Scots in the top six............goodness me.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Doon,
They've all had to right their respective ships after bad starts, hope they keep it up.
The cut just about to go to +6, even +7 (and Matteo) is not out of the question.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Agreed, I also love Valderama and would hate to see this tournament being hurt in any way by whatever future developments. Hope they have a backup plan for this event in case the Shanghai thing gets momentum and is sanctioned by ET next year. Valderama obviously can be a pretty punishing course and a tough test of golf, and having available the alternative of an event on a relatively easy course with loads of 'easy cash' on offer could leave many guys (and I'd say especially their management teams!) with an easy choice to make...

Great to see Sergio continuing his excellent form and as I said would love to see him wining this as well... It's also the kind of test where I would never rule out very experienced people like Bjorn, Hanson, GMac, etc... As for Kaymer, once again, not quite sure what to say about him, his form and his prospects. Certainly a great showing so far by the Scots...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:10 pm

my back lynn is doing nice at present(80's), 1 under and only a few ahead of him

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Lynn's looking a very tasty investment mysti, time to consider laying some of it off?

Oliver Wilson having a good tournament, perhaps top ten-worthy by the time Round 2 is complete. If he can keep his nose clean for the weekend, this could be a career-altering event for him.

Matteo just about to duck under the cut-line.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:57 pm

i would but its not worth it at the current lay price, although he is only 25's i can only lay at 65 (there is no market on him) gonna have to wait untill final day if he is still up there , or back others at that point as a virtual lay

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:48 pm

3 players under par Shocked
Great performance to be level par today and still holding on to his -6.

Best score today too is -1.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 pm

the scot deserves alot of credit.

I have to play this course, looks amazing- love that 18th.

sergio has put in another v good performance, hasnt pushed at all and is looking a good favourite.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Blimey, they didn't half struggle today. Fans will have to be up a bit earlier tomorrow to see the marquee players.

Well done to Richie Ramsay for hanging onto his lead though. Be interesting to see how far his career goes. Very rare for a golfer on this side of the pond to win the US Amateur so I'm wondering if has that je ne sais quoi which separates the champion golfer from the journeyman golfer.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:29 pm

gael,
We're wondering the same thing nowadays about Eddie Molinari . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next