The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTF - Race for the last three places

+6
Mad for Chelsea
CaledonianCraig
Positively 4th Street
time please
wow
carrieg4
10 posters

Go down

WTF - Race for the last three places Empty WTF - Race for the last three places

Post by carrieg4 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:31 pm

Mardy Fish, who is currently sitting at eighth in the rankings, has had to retire from his first round match at Basel after only one game. This obviously lessens his chances of qualification depending on recovery time and performance at Paris Masters.

Given that the rankings points from 9th to 15th are pretty close who do you think can step up and make that final push to qualify??

BTW - wishing Fish a speedy recovery and hope it is not too serious.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

WTF - Race for the last three places Empty Re: WTF - Race for the last three places

Post by wow Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:29 pm

I want delpo to qualify.

wow

Back to top Go down

WTF - Race for the last three places Empty Re: WTF - Race for the last three places

Post by time please Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:37 pm

I saw that Fish had to retire - do you know what happened to him carrie? After such a good American hardcourt season, it would be such a pity not to see him at WTF.

Ferrer has qualified right? He looks unassailable if not in any case. I would have thought that Tsonga would hang on and qualify, and Berdych must have a very good chance to do the same.

Agree wow would be fantastic to see JMDP back in the big time - it's not impossible, and he is a great big match player.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

He suffered a left hamstring strain but it is not known how serious it is at the moment.

Ferrer qualified fifth for the finals - only the other three places still up for grabs but I agree Tsonga a very likely candidate.

It would certainly be interesting to have Del Potro in the finals - he doesn't have any points to defend so it is definitely not impossible Smile

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:49 pm

Ferrer has indeed qualified tp. 9th to 15th are close, but the gap between 8th and 9th is fairly large. Fish should just about hang on, which would be due reward, unless someone below him can get to the Paris final, or win Basel/Valencia. Del Potro has the ability to do that, and Paris has a history of throwing up surprise results. I'd also like to see the big man make it,

If Fish is out for the season then things will be interesting for the others and a big win will not be necessary.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

Yep, it kind of all depends on Fish. Would be a real shame for him not to make it after the season he has had.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:56 pm

Thanks P4S (I always mean to say that is one of my favourite Dylan songs - I just love it when you feel a bit furious ! mad Very Happy ) anyway........thought little Daveed had done so, but couldn't totally remember.

Fingers crossed for the Tower of Tandil, and I agree carrie that it would be such a shame for Fish to miss out - hope nothing too serious going on with him.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:01 pm

I strongly suspect Fish has already done enough to book his spot at the WTF. To be displaced from the top eight he'd need some big performances from those below him such as Almagro and I cannot see that happening. However, if this injury is serious then I may get a bit more nervous about his prospects.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:15 pm

time please wrote:Thanks P4S (I always mean to say that is one of my favourite Dylan songs - I just love it when you feel a bit furious ! mad Very Happy ) anyway........thought little Daveed had done so, but couldn't totally remember.

Fingers crossed for the Tower of Tandil, and I agree carrie that it would be such a shame for Fish to miss out - hope nothing too serious going on with him.

Then I applaud your taste. The title is a bit of a misnomer, I once read the song described as the ultimate f**k you song! This doesn't reflect my attitude in life though...

Fish would bring something different and it would be good to see him make it. However, I also think Tsonga, for his unpredictability and character, and Berdych, who has shown he can mix it with the big boys, would be good additions. Feel bad writing it but Ferrer is probably the weak link, can't see him troubling many on that surface in the way that Del Potro could. Still, he's there on merit.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:59 pm

No I can tell you don't have that attitude at all P4S - unlike moi for the last few days, I'm afraid! It is the ultimate f**k you song - but I have always seen it as the dumped lover's bravado - a sort of 'I Will Survive' for the thinking man/woman. Whatever....it is a great and witty piece of Dylan Very Happy

I would love to see Tsonga come through - he is fantastic entertainment when on. Berdych didn't light up the place last year, but again he can be a tremendous player.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 4:40 pm

I agree about Berdych but he may come good this year - only 18 days to go Yahoo

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 6:41 pm

carrieg4 wrote:I agree about Berdych but he may come good this year

Erm

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:17 pm

woops, kiss of death there carrie.

What's so frustrating about the Tsongas and Berdyches of this world is that on their day they can beat anyone, but they're maddeningly inconsistent. I mean, Nishikori? Nice player, plenty of talent, intelligent too, but no big weapons, which suggests (I didn't watch the match) that Berdy basically started hitting the ball out al the time.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:43 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:woops, kiss of death there carrie.

What's so frustrating about the Tsongas and Berdyches of this world is that on their day they can beat anyone, but they're maddeningly inconsistent. I mean, Nishikori? Nice player, plenty of talent, intelligent too, but no big weapons, which suggests (I didn't watch the match) that Berdy basically started hitting the ball out al the time.
DIdn't he beat Tsonga in China? Nishi was supposed to be amongst the young chasing pack but injuries have hampered his progress.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

YOU CAN DO IT, POTRO!!!!!!!

Yahoo

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:18 pm

There are two variables:

1. If Fish is fit to play it looks to me as though Fish, Tsonga, and Berdych have probably done just about enough to qualify. In that scenario I think that those will be the three lining up in London for the following reasons:

(a) I can't see Almagro or Tipsarevic making the final in Paris or Simon winning in Paris.

(b) Del Boy or Monfils need a mega combination like a win in Valencia and nothing less than SF in Paris, which is asking a lot and not helped by the fact that they are drawn to meet in the SF at Valencia meaning that one of them will get a maximum 180 from there.

2. However, if Fish cannot play then 9th place is obviously very interesting, and the last place is very much up for grabs by any of the five mentioned above. Much is going to depend upon the luck of the draw, but I'd say Tipsarevic (except for his flunk in Basel) or Del Boy look decent bets to end up 9th ahead of Almagro.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:05 pm

Looks like Fish is fit to play. There is no tear in the hamstring and he just needs a few days treatment. Very happy for him, would have been such a shame if he missed out after the season he has had.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 02 Nov 2011, 7:09 pm

carrieg4 wrote:Looks like Fish is fit to play. There is no tear in the hamstring and he just needs a few days treatment. Very happy for him, would have been such a shame if he missed out after the season he has had.

Absolutely - he has thoroughly earned it, I think.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Wed 02 Nov 2011, 7:11 pm

almagro at O2 will be a catastrophe. Please no.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 7:25 pm

wow wrote:almagro at O2 will be a catastrophe. Please no.

I know, it's shocking....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 02 Nov 2011, 7:26 pm

dear me Almagro at the WTF, this is what we need the old :facepalm: smiley for... Not going to happent hopefully.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:43 am

So, barring a phenomenal run by one of the others, it's Fish, Berdy and Tsonga for the WTF then?

Can't see Delpo missing out next year - will be great to have him back Very Happy

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by eraldeen Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:13 am

Fish

Berdych

Tsonga

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down