The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV3 reports BOD to have shoulder operation, out for 6 months

+9
eirebilly
Golden
D24tress
Knowsit17
Cari
red_stag
Glas a du
rodders
brennomac
13 posters

Go down

TV3 reports BOD to have shoulder operation, out for 6 months Empty TV3 reports BOD to have shoulder operation, out for 6 months

Post by brennomac Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

TV3 is reporting that BOD is to have an operation on his problem shoulder and will be out for 6 months, Joe Schmidt quoted as saying injury is not "career-threatening"

Can't say this comes as a surprise. Being left out of the Leinster team v Munster last Friday was ominous. Can only hope he does come back but shoulder operations are notoriously complicated and slow to heal - I had a rotator cuff op last year and it was at least 6 months before I got back even close to full mobility. 6 months means he's out of 6N and in all likelihood out of HC knockout stages if Leinster get through the pool stages. Best he can probably hope for is to be back for the tour to NZ - if he comes back at all. Tragedy if this is the way such a fantastic career ends

Big question for Leinster and Ireland is how to replace him - McFadden or O'Malley for Leinster, McFadden, Cave,
or Spence for Ulster.

Mods, didn't know whether to put this in international or club sections - you guys decide

brennomac

Back to top Go down

TV3 reports BOD to have shoulder operation, out for 6 months Empty Re: TV3 reports BOD to have shoulder operation, out for 6 months

Post by rodders Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:59 pm

Sounded like it was coming.

Terrible for BOD to miss 6 months with the sun already setting on his amazing career. Its a big blow for Leinster too.

This could be a blessing in disguise for Ireland though to give some other players a chance. I fear Kidney won't look past Earls but I seriously hope this opportunity is used to look at Cave, Spence, McFadden and Bowe.

Cave should be the front runner on form but like I say Kidney seems certain that Earls is BODs long term successor.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

TV3 reports BOD to have shoulder operation, out for 6 months Empty Re: TV3 reports BOD to have shoulder operation, out for 6 months

Post by Glas a du Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:05 pm

If I had a cap I would tip it to him. The guy has had hell of a career, but I reckon he will coach Leinster, Ireland and the Lions. At the very least he is in the Jiffy position, perennial pundit, but the guy is too clever for that.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:07 pm

Im still backing him to make the Lions tours.

I think we're likely to see McFadden at 13 and then Spence backing him up.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:09 pm

I know the Irish Indie reported that they were waiting for results of a scan on BOD's shoulder with a briefing due today.

I really hope that this operation doesn't mean the end of his career - both internationally and with Leinster. Someone of his calibre deserves to retire of their own accord and not be forced into it because of an injury. Best of luck to BOD with his recovery.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

I think he'll still make the summer tour but I hope he thinks long and hard about continuing until 2013. The time out and op may be enough to revive him for one more season but he's had a lot of miles on the clock, maybe more than any player in history. BOD is a legend but unfortunately, unlike Hulk Hogan, he isn't immortal Sad .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

Sincerely hope he doesn't have to retire on this. A player of O'Driscoll's class deserves to part on a more fitting note.

This is one of the worst blows Ireland and Leinster could have suffered imo. Say what you will about his best days being behind him, BOD has always and continues to be at the heart of the most successful times enjoyed by any side he plays for. His leadership by example and otherwise and his contribution are always telling and have always been missed when he's away.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:42 pm

i think and i hope he has one last trip down under to take on the all blacks next summer. We have never beaten them and if we could beat them with our greatest ever player and captain for his swansong it would be movie material

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

Ah im sure hell be back to play in the HC cup final. Very Happy

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:13 pm

If Leinster made the HEC final it would imply they are doing good without him. I think that were that the case it would be hard on whoever would lose out and would actually be a big risk.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm

ah i know was just kidding.

But seriously now that BOD wont be playing for the foreseeable future will kidney start with a completely new centre partnership?

It seems like darcy has been picked more for his relationship with BOD then on his own merit.

I would like to see something new, the team needs a new spark. Would like to see mcfadden and cave given a go.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 07 Nov 2011, 5:32 pm

Terrible news for BOD and i do have this feeling that he has played his last competitive match for Ireland. A realistic target will now be for the 6N in 2013 and i am not sure that he will have it in him. The summer tour will not leave him much time to get back and up to match fitness.

One of the best players Ireland has ever produced though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:03 pm

It could be a blessing in disguise for Ireland. Whilst i think BOD deserves the right to dictate when he leaves the international setup the fact that this will force us to look at alternatives is a positive.

I think Stag might be right in that all we will see is Earls (fitness permitting) moving in with Trimble on the wing and McFadden benching. I hope he looks at other options mind you. Cave has been Ulsters best player this season by some distance and if he can maintain that form through the Heineken he should be looked at.

I have to confess i hope we go on form when replacing him and not who is most experienced and i will say the same thing if Earls or Mcfadden or Barnes is the in form 13. Lets reward performances.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:27 pm

For Leinster and for now.... step Up Mr O' Malley.

BOD will be back, but if it was to happen, its best it happens before the HC kicks off, to get McFadden and O Malley up to speed. Darcy to mix and match. Or maybe even benched if all goes well.

I have full confidence in those two. Maybe Macken will start to show his hand too now. Drico just said it himself. We have the talent to make it hard for him to get back. Its what our Academy is all about.

I'm pretty excited by it actually. Feel sorry for BOD - love that goy. But, he has not been even near his best this last year. So this gives him the chance, to get it fixed, rest, reset and have one last year at the top.

Then retirement in France. He's earned it.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:29 pm

Will O'malley get the big games for Leinster? I thought they would go with D'arcy/McFadden as they did at the weekend.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:38 pm

O Malley is the better 13, Stand. Yes, I think they will start with Darcy at 12 and Mcfadden at 13. But I pray they have O Malley on the bench. Still see McFadden as a 12.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

The only problem with the bench is that coaches tend to have someone who can cover various positions. Can O'Malley cover 13 and the back three?

Also I think I would play Nacewa at 15 for your HC games, even if that means Rob Kearney on the bench.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:25 pm

Gibbo, BOD would be stupid to retire in France, he'd lose all his IRFU taxes. Moving to France is a young mans game.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

Don't know how the tax ting works Stag. Does he have to hang around for years after, to get it? If not, no one would blame him for skee-daddlin.

The French would love him. Even at 33/34.

Rav,
Good point. To me, he is made for outside-centre. So is Macken.

I feel Rob Kearney and Nacewa will always start - this season. No matter in what position. But Schmidt has to start opening up options at centre. Plenty of games to do it in. If Darcy gets injured... what then? We need them both ready to go.

Last edited by Gibson on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cant spell, function or type!)
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:41 pm

You have to retire while playing for an Irish team.

So Jonnie Sexton could go to France now for 4 years come back to Leinster and retire. He gets reimbursed upon retirement for the taxes paid.

If you go abroad and retire there, you don't.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:46 pm

Aaah. Strings attached. Fair enough. He finishes with Leinster so.

Love to see him on the Irish team that beats NZ down there.

And... another Heino. Maybe a 6-N.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:47 pm

Its the reason that Heaslip and especially Sexton have been looking at short moves to France between the RWCs.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:50 pm

I see. It all makes sense man. I think they should go after 2013 (Sexton) and 2014(Heaslip). Its when their IRFU contacts end. Make even better players out of them.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:55 pm

I know Sexton has tested the water.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:17 pm

Hopefully Madigan is well bedded in by then. I think it would be a great move for him. He is intelligent. New language, new culture, new tricks to learn. JW and Contepomi loving it.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:17 am

Standulstermen wrote:Will O'malley get the big games for Leinster? I thought they would go with D'arcy/McFadden as they did at the weekend.

I though McFadden played really well at 13 against Munster. Personally I think Fitzgerald at 12 and McFadden at 13 may work well at Leinster. They seem to have a good understanding with each other and could interchange the way BOD and D'arcy did in the early days.

Darren Cave is playing exceptionally well and even before BOD's injury should be a shoe in for the 6N squad. Nevin Spence should be in the mix too but needs to be playing at Ulster.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 08 Nov 2011, 12:54 pm

Not fair to have such a talent end his career like that. Hope he makes it to NZ as you need experience down there. The only problem I see is he´ll be short of rugby if he does go. Let´s hope he makes a speedy recovery.

In a way NZ are in a similar predicament with Richie McCaw. He´s getting his plate removed from his foot so it´s an opportunity for a young player like Todd to come onto the scene and stake his claim.

That said, it´s cruel when injury takes a player out at the twilight of his career, especially given such a glittering career. Fingers crossed he makes it back because Ireland can still use that leadership and experience to good effect.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down