The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger takes the lead down under!

+25
monty junior
Hibbz
Rangiora
Doon the Water
erictheblueuk
Sand
KeizoYamata
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
gaelgowfer
Alsie
Shotrock
jeffkenna
Tiler76
navyblueshorts
MustPuttBetter
Lairdy
Doc
McLaren
kwinigolfer
Maverick
SmithersJones
Diggers
super_realist
Redrage
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is he back?

Tiger takes the lead down under! Vote_lcap16%Tiger takes the lead down under! Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Tiger takes the lead down under! Vote_lcap13%Tiger takes the lead down under! Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Tiger takes the lead down under! Vote_lcap71%Tiger takes the lead down under! Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 22 ]

Total Votes : 31

Tiger takes the lead down under! Empty Tiger takes the lead down under!

Post by Redrage Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/15689794.stm

Tiger Woods returned to form to hit a five-under-par 67 and establish the lead in the Australian Open.

The former world number one carded seven birdies and two bogeys to move to nine under in total on day two.

"It feels good to actually be there playing properly instead of slashing the ball all over the place," said Woods, who leads Australia's Peter O'Malley by one shot.

Woods, who started the day three shots behind overnight leader Jarrod Lyle, will have to maintain his form if he is to stay ahead of the chasing pack.

Local veteran O'Malley, 46, is one shot behind after carding a six-under-par 66, the lowest score of the day, with Australia's world number seven Jason Day a further shot back in third on seven under after a 68.

But all eyes will be on Woods to see if the 14-times major winner can maintain his lead.

Woods, who has dropped to 58th in the world, led the field during the final round of this year's US Masters.

But the last time he led at the end of a day's play was at his own Chevron World Challenge in December 2010, when he surrendered a three-shot lead on the final day.

"At Chevron I hit it with one shot," added Woods. "I hit basically a draw for the entire week. Right now I am able to move the ball both ways."

Starting at the 10th hole with a birdie, Woods picked up four more shots on the back nine before making his first bogey of the tournament at the third hole.

He responded immediately with a 25-foot putt at the fourth before dropping a shot at the sixth. But Woods picked up another shot with a stunning 280-yard approach which rolled onto the eighth green to set up a birdie.

Tiger Woods has not won a tournament since 2009 and has fallen out of the top 50 for the first time since he was a 20-year-old rookie in 1996

"I played well today," said Woods. "I could have been a little lower over my first nine holes. Even though I shot five under, it felt like it easily could have been eight or nine deep."

Day will celebrate his 24th birthday on Saturday looking to overhaul his idol Woods.

"He changed my life because I worked harder after I read his book. It is good to see him playing good golf again," said Day.

Overnight leader Lyle shot a 74 to drop to a tie for fifth on five under with four other players.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Tiger takes the lead down under! Empty Re: Tiger takes the lead down under!

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

Far far far too early to tell.
Worth noting is that Garcia won two tournaments on the bounce recently, one by an absolute mile, and most people said it was too early to say if he was back, and he actually won, so vis a vis it's way too early to say that Woods is back on the basis of two rounds in a truly tinpot tournament, with a field made up largely of journeyman, with not a single European in the field.

How I hate him, but at least he doesn't thank god when he wins.

Last edited by super_realist on Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:50 am

super_realist wrote:Far far far too early to tell.
Worth noting is that Garcia won two tournaments on the bounce recently, one by an absolute mile, and most people said it was too early to say, and he actually won, so vis a vis it's way too early to say that Woods is back on the basis of two rounds in a tinpot tournament, with a field made up largely of journeyman, with not a single European in the field.

Cant see any real relevance in whether it has any Europeans or not, the only thing that matters is the rankings of the players who are competing and there are some very good ones but many very average ones.
But you are right, far too early to tell. I was way more impressed by Garcia's second victory, two wins on the bounce was clearly very good and he is playing well, I just didnt particularly agree with the posters who thought he was now a good bet for a major when he had never won a major when he was winning much bigger events than the two he won recently.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:53 am

I said yes, just because it seems like he's playing properly for the first time in a long time. And because without Simba this could get one-sided! Wink
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:54 am

super_realist wrote:Far far far too early to tell.
Worth noting is that Garcia won two tournaments on the bounce recently, one by an absolute mile, and most people said it was too early to say if he was back, and he actually won, so vis a vis it's way too early to say that Woods is back on the basis of two rounds in a truly tinpot tournament, with a field made up largely of journeyman, with not a single European in the field.

True, it is arguably a stronger field than the Castello though, a few good Aussies and the presidents cup Yanks are all present. It would be a decent start. I think a better discussion would centre on what would he have to do to be considered back? For me a WGC would do it, or a couple of PGA tour wins. For some I would reckon a major might be in order to convince them and even then that may not be enough for everyone.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:57 am

Without any Europeans Diggers (19 of which make up the top 50), it's clear it's a pretty depleted and poor quality field in comparison to PGA or European Tour events. There are some good players in there, but it's mostly people who aren't even household names in their own household.

However a win would still be a win (or W has he so shiversomely refers to them as)
My money is on a third or fourth round collapse and a local "no mark" coming up with the goods. Fingers crossed. I don't think I could bear a Woods win, even in a rubbish tournament like this. The forum would be flooded with soothsayers, johnny come lately's, lickspittles and glory hunters.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:57 am

I'm with SR, far to early to say in an event where its hard to miss a wide open fairway. There's no denying he's played a lot better over the 2 days than he has in a long time, but refering back to the sergio comment he went back to back, once where he destroyed the field by ridiculous amounts and the other in a strong fielded event without playing his best and simply got the job done.

If Woods can win this event it will help his confidence yes but its not exactly a stellar field he's up against so if he can pick up another win after in a bigger field then we could say he maybe on the comeback trail.

Oh and before anyone says I'm being anti Woods, I've said before I'm not a huge Tiger fan but I also don't dislike him either, I think if he made his comeback itd be good for golf to see how he competes now against a host of better players than those that were around in his heyday and I'd like to see him break Jacks record as it gets boring hearing about how golf was better in years gone by and how Jacks a more deserving all time great (queue abuse from those prefering yesteryear golf)

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:01 pm

super_realist wrote:
I don't think I could bear a Woods win, even in a rubbish tournament like this. The forum would be flooded with soothsayers, johnny come lately's, lickspittles and glory hunters.

It is bound to happen sooner or later though, as long as he remains fit anyway.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:04 pm

super_realist wrote:Without any Europeans Diggers (19 of which make up the top 50), it's clear it's a pretty depleted and poor quality field in comparison to PGA or European Tour events. There are some good players in there, but it's mostly people who aren't even household names in their own household.

However a win would still be a win (or W has he so shiversomely refers to them as)
My money is on a third or fourth round collapse and a local "no mark" coming up with the goods. Fingers crossed. I don't think I could bear a Woods win, even in a rubbish tournament like this. The forum would be flooded with soothsayers, johnny come lately's, lickspittles and glory hunters.

I actually think you owuld love a Tiger W as the forum would be flooded with people bigging him up and it would give you the perfect opportunity to do your favourite thing................which is talk about Tiger.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:06 pm

I know that he eventually will, just hoping it's 2023 or something like that.
Interesting article in The Scotsman that he hasn't proven to be a crowd puller at all in this event. Is this the beginning of the end for the public's sickening obsession with this chump?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:10 pm

Woods would take a win against the blind school right now, it's almost as if any sort of win is what he craves.
He looks to have enjoyed a favourable draw (the Friday morning "wave") with the wind picking up pretty much as he finished, the afternoon wave scores pretty awful.
This tournament, especially now, is more important to Tiger than almost anyone else in the field, a handful of Aussies excepted; it's certainly not as if there was much sign of the American PC survivors grinding it out, least of all Mahan of course.
With a win under his belt, Woods would be dangerous, not Major dangerous yet, but certainly PGA Tour dangerous - a loss after having the lead could be devastating.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:20 pm

I think thats a bit OTT Kwini, you are over dramatising it I think. He is a born winner and for sure wants to win, thats what he is all about. Others could take a big lesson from that.
But I actually think he has been very honest about his game this week in interviews, admitted it wasnt where he wanted it to be earlier in the year and is clearly much happier having been able to put in the practise hours. Of course he will never get credit for any of that.
What Woods likes as much as winning though is competing, he thrives on it, I think a major slip down the field would be far more devastating to him than a high placing. At least with that he will have been competing again and he will still know his game is in a much better state than it was earlier in the year.
Tiger will never stop believing he is the best in the world and not winning this week wont change that a jot.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:21 pm

When you say “is tiger back” do you mean back to the previous level he achieved in the sport? If so he will only be back when he is regularly winning majors, so ask the question in 3 years time. He will be back if he has notched up 3-4 majors.

Looking at the last two rounds form the only thing we can read into it is that his shots are a little more accurate than his last outing. He also claims he is able to move the ball both left and right now, which was a huge part of his game. His putting was hardly on fire with 29 putts, although I do not trust the stats on the aussie open webpage.

A win of any sort will bost his confidence and that can only help him improve on the form of the last two seasons. I just hope he does not hibernate like he normally does over the winter and tries to build on whatever he has after this event and the pres cup.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:28 pm

Digs,
If he liked the "competing" so much, you'd think he'd compete a bit more.
I really don't think he has any interest in playing tournaments he thinks he can't win, and that's why we see him so seldom. But he knows there's a process to return to that place.
He's an addictive individual and winning is one of his drugs. And that is dangerous to every other golfer out there, Tiger's will to win, those chip-ins when in deep weeds, the putts from all over the place that are willed into the hole.
He's always sprayed the ball, but he's always been able to find a way to win. Until fire-hydrantgate.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

super_realist wrote:I know that he eventually will, just hoping it's 2023 or something like that.
Interesting article in The Scotsman that he hasn't proven to be a crowd puller at all in this event. Is this the beginning of the end for the public's sickening obsession with this chump?

I remember a couple of years ago how the Ausies had built him up into a god through mass media marketing. They saw it as massive coup to entice him over (payed him over $1m appearance fee)) and it worked, as the galleries were full every day. He actually won I think, but blotted his copybook with some of his petulance.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:35 pm

I think Princedracula has the Aussie Open at a higher rank than the Singapore Open, but that has its fair share of journeymen also.

I agree with Redrage's ideas of what would consititute being back. Always thought it was a matter of time and staying fit.

S_r, saw that in the Scotsman as well. Interesting that not many other media outlets choose to pick up on it, well, not outside these shores anyway. His golf vocabulary (he'd probably call it 'vocab') is horrible isnt it? What about the sentence - "it could have been 8 or 9 deep."? laughing I hope he's talking about being 8 or 9 under here...

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:37 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Digs,
If he liked the "competing" so much, you'd think he'd compete a bit more.
I really don't think he has any interest in playing tournaments he thinks he can't win, and that's why we see him so seldom. But he knows there's a process to return to that place.
He's an addictive individual and winning is one of his drugs. And that is dangerous to every other golfer out there, Tiger's will to win, those chip-ins when in deep weeds, the putts from all over the place that are willed into the hole.
He's always sprayed the ball, but he's always been able to find a way to win. Until fire-hydrantgate.

I think he thinks he can "compete" better and more consistently if he doesnt "compete" as regularly. I dont really think you can argue to much with his record prior to the his marriage collapse. It clearl;y worked for him.
Sure he wants to win but equally he isnt stupid, he knows someone like Day can beat him and if that happens but Woods continues to play well this week I really dont think he will be in anyway devastated. Quite the opposite because he knows that if he carrys on playing well he is going to win.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:38 pm

Lairdy wrote:What about the sentence - "it could have been 8 or 9 deep."? laughing I hope he's talking about being 8 or 9 under here...

Ha ha Laugh clap
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm

Lairdy, he'd probably call it his "V" for vocabulary, pretty soon he'll just be talking in a combination of singular vowels and consonants, it will probably make his post round interviews a bit more interesting though, like listening to the encrypted print out of an Enigma machine message.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

Far too early. He'll no doubt be after a win but I don't think it'll matter to him if he doesn't pull it off.......as long as he genuinely feels his game and the swing changes therein are making real progress. It sounds like they are but I think we need the evidence of a few more tournament rounds to think he's cracking it.

I'm ambivalent on The Return. I think it'll be good in general for the pro game if he's really competing again and also if he's learnt anything about public deportment it'll be a good thing too. I'm with S_R though on the return of the TW Fanboi types - not looking forward to that at all.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:31 pm

I wonder what Tiger's "V" is like for his other activities. Perhaps a few years ago he'd come home from Perkins and tell Elin all about it:
"Hi darling, Breakfast was great today, I had R over easy, S well done and C thought my suasage was very tasty. The pancakes were good too."

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:40 pm

Nice to see a Tiger story about his golf for a change!

Way too early to say whether Tiger "is back" or not, but I don't think the quality of the field is that important. We know Tiger knows how to win in the big events, it's all about how strong his game is, which has been pretty poor (by his standards) for at least 2 years. A win would be a massive confidence boost for Tiger, and while trying not to over-dramatise the significance, a confident Tiger would be a dangerous animal.

I find myself inclined to agree with Kwini here. I think the next 2 days are hugely important to Tiger, not just about winning or losing, but the opportunity he has to really put down a marker and win by a good margin (if he's playing as well as reported), and something he can take into next year.

Ultimately, Tiger is always going to be able to win on the weeks he plays well, just like any other player around the top 50 in the world rankings, it's how he scores when not playing well that I think is more significant for determining if he's "back". Grinding out the 70's rather than 73 or 74......

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:54 pm

super_realist wrote:
How I hate him, but at least he doesn't thank god when he wins.

Given his "personal transgressions" I don't think god has much place for Tiger so perhaps Tiger is wary that he be smited by the almighty smiter if he were to praise his name!!

Agreed to early to say he is back based on 2 rounds of golf, however the signs are there that he perhaps on the way!

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

A fine start for TW. To the avowed Tiger-basher I expect the same usual comments ... it's too early, crap field, etc. Yawn. No Europeans Rolling Eyes Like Tiger has a record of ducking tough tournaments.

But the storm clouds are gathering, for these same individuals. TW, like every other top professional, will get some form going, and will again compete at the highest levels. It what he does. I would expect it to happen in 2012, barring another injury.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I wonder what Tiger's "V" is like for his other activities. Perhaps a few years ago he'd come home from Perkins and tell Elin all about it:
"Hi darling, Breakfast was great today, I had R over easy, S well done and C thought my suasage was very tasty. The pancakes were good too."

Reminds me of a favourite Two Ronnies sketch. The Swedish made easy one - F U N E X? laughing Funny thing is why would Tiger need to speak Swedish now??
Swedish made easy

Last edited by Lairdy on Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cant write)

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm

Shotrock wrote:A fine start for TW. To the avowed Tiger-basher I expect the same usual comments ... it's too early, crap field, etc. Yawn. No Europeans Rolling Eyes Like Tiger has a record of ducking tough tournaments.

But the storm clouds are gathering, for these same individuals. TW, like every other top professional, will get some form going, and will again compete at the highest levels. It what he does. I would expect it to happen in 2012, barring another injury.

He's certainly overplayed his "injuries" though and could probably have played more tournaments this year than he has, if he's fit enough to play this week (one Couples insisted he played), I'm sure he could have managed any one of the higher profile tournaments in the last 4 weeks or so (although, granted he wasn't eligible for Shanghai)
However I think people are only exercising caution when mentioning poor field, no Europeans etc because there was a majority verdict that Garcia still had a lot to prove despite 2 great wins, even if Woods did win, it wouldn't really mean anything other than he played well for a tournament.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Alsie Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

Surely the likes of Day, Scott, Ogilvy, Kuchar, Watney, Johnson take it above the level of a truly tinpot field

Tiger always said injury free and being able to get the proper reps he would back near the top, are we seeing the first signs of this now bearing fruit?

will his putting hold up though?

Alsie

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

If - and it's a big "if" - he is on his way back, I'm more interested in how other players will now cope with a resurgent TW. As far as I can remember Rolling Eyes Yang is the only player (pre-Tiger apocalypse) to put him down in the clinch, so to speak.

Let's face it, none of the american pros have stepped up to the plate to replace him as top dog and in spite of three irishmen and one german poaching american majors in recent years, I somehow don't think he will see 'the ooropeans' as a great threat ... at least that's what his memory will tell him.

Still, there is the question of mental and physical baggage and does he still carry those? Given the damage to his left leg, can't see how that isn't going to break down again sooner rather than later.

As for the mental baggage, I think we will have to wait and see on that one as well. One thing is for sure: Tiger Woods can't possibly be the same man he was before.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

SR - How do you know he's "overplayed" his injuries? You seem to be drawing specific conclusions based on guesses. And even if he was fit to run a marathon, where and when he competes is entirely his decision and part of his schedule to comeback as he thinks best.

And Sergio is not back. He's in parts unknown. First time he won professional tournaments back to back weeks, and he totally dominated one of them. Bully for him -- I hope he tears it up in 2012.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

Would he have bothered to play in such a tinpot event had it not been for the insistence of Couples for inclusion into the Presidents Cup team?

Of course I don't know if he's fit or not, but he's only playing golf for heavens sake, and he does have a requirement under the PGA to play a minimum number of events, which I think (my opinion) that he has shirked citing injury due to him chopping it about for most of the year. I think his problems always have been more mental than physical, but the physical stands up better for the purposes of "legitimate" absence in the form of a note from his mum from Tournament play.

I have never ever said Sergio is back either, I was saying that simply because he has won two tournaments it doesn't prove anything, just like if Woods won this municipal competition this weekend.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:46 pm

Shot, that was point SR was trying to make. Even though Sergio won back to back events people are still saying it is too early to say he is truly back.

I think it is the same thing with Tiger, he's put good rounds in before and then disappeared. Time will tell, whether he wins this week or doesn't isn't going to change my opinion; it's too early to tell if he is properly back. Let's see him playing good golf in a full schedule against full fields and see when he stands then.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:51 pm

Tinpot event? It's a professional golf tournament with what, 24 majors among the entrants (ok, inflated with Woods alone with help from Norman)? Plus, Jason Day, Adam Scott, and Dustin Johnson, etc. are absolutely top notch.

And it's the week before the President's cup, which be being held in the same country and which TW is playing in. The logic of competing there could not be more compelling.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

Is it not a little more important to analyse why tiger is playing well rather than speculate what this win might do for his confidence in the future. If his previously strong attributes, which set him apart, are back to working order it will be a better indication of the state of his game. Although never the straightest driver it will also be interesting to see if he has improved in that area since his fall series appearance.

In the past it was the following where woods was better than the rest and what made him so goof.

• Great play from 150-250 yards out. (long irons especially close to the hole)
• Putting inside 10-15 foot
• All shots within 100 yards

The last point maybe being the most important as it meant he avoided many bogies from situations other players simply could not recover from. If we start to see these skills being demonstrated over the next two rounds and the pres cup then maybe we can say he will be in with a better chance of winning next year.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:57 pm

I think you are missing the point SR. The tournament entry list has a very weak and very long tail indeed full of Australian journeyman and Chinese players. Hardly stellar.
Woods is also playing more out of necessity rather than need, Couples indicated he wouldn't be picked as a wild card unless he played in it.

A win is a win though, what I'm saying is that it won't tell us very much.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Alsie Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:04 pm

[quote="super_realist"]Would he have bothered to play in such a tinpot event had it not been for the insistence of Couples for inclusion into the Presidents Cup team?

Agreed, but what a masterstroke from Fred it could be now if Tiger is coming off a win. Looking like a better pick than Kevin Keegan Bradley after that.

surely a better indicator of Woods and even Garcia being back are holing putts, hitting quality golf shots, keeping errant shots at bay and beating quality golfers

Alsie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:09 pm

Hardly a masterstroke Alsie, it would have caused an outrage if he had picked him without having played a tournament in months with Bradley omitted despite being a major winner.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Alsie Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

he came in for a lot of flak for the pick though SR, getting him to play the week before in the hope that he builds confidence and Tiger actually achieving this must surely earn Fred some credit

Alsie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:25 pm

Alsie wrote:he came in for a lot of flak for the pick though SR, getting him to play the week before in the hope that he builds confidence and Tiger actually achieving this must surely earn Fred some credit

"No pudding unless you finish your dinner"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

SR - It would not have caused an outrage -- at least among those who understand what a Captain's pick is: regardless of current form the player the captain thinks will best help the team.

Keegan, along with countless other players, could have qualified for the team if he simply played better this year and last.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:37 pm

Wouldn't it? Pick a player who has been dining out on past form for two years or someone who has been playing great this season (Bradley)

Woods perhaps could have qualified himself, had he bothered to play.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:42 pm

SR - Exactly. Any player who doesn't make the squad on play has no real argument. And anyone suggesting a Captain "must" pick a certain player over another doesn't understand what a "Captain's pick" is all about.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

Super, I doubt you be moaning if Poulter was picked for the RC under the same circumstances.
And Woods was 5-0 in his last Presidents Cup, better than anything Poulter has done in an RC.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:53 pm

Only just better. RC is certainly a better standard too. Poulter is the best RC player from the last two RC's

Just seems to me that Woods has been picked out of sentimentality rather than any other reason.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:55 pm

I've just seen a tweet (retweeted by @paulmahoneygolf) from @SimbaRW (Simba Roberts)

if Tiger is ever truly back, those young gun will just be side shows. Nobody ever hits it like he does! No even close!

Could this be our late, lamented Simba?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:59 pm

So you are saying you would pick Poulter on his past RC record ?
But you can only see sentimentality as a reason for Woods pick despite him being the best player in the last Presidents Cup ? And Woods was what 3 from 4 in the last RC as well so one oft he best Americans again.
Or would you accept that Poulter would just be a sentimental pick given his form this year ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 4:04 pm

Diggers, I would pick Poulter if he was in decent form and had been playing regularly, Woods has been doing neither.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 4:05 pm

Davie wrote:I've just seen a tweet (retweeted by @paulmahoneygolf) from @SimbaRW (Simba Roberts)

if Tiger is ever truly back, those young gun will just be side shows. Nobody ever hits it like he does! No even close!

Still talking a load of man sausage I see

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 4:08 pm

super_realist wrote:Diggers, I would pick Poulter if he was in decent form and had been playing regularly, Woods has been doing neither.

Thats a complete cop out of an answer. Its a simple question, if the RC team was being picked now would you pick Poulter ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Nov 2011, 4:08 pm

Davie wrote:I've just seen a tweet (retweeted by @paulmahoneygolf) from @SimbaRW (Simba Roberts)

I will follow him later and report back.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:Diggers, I would pick Poulter if he was in decent form and had been playing regularly, Woods has been doing neither.

Thats a complete cop out of an answer. Its a simple question, if the RC team was being picked now would you pick Poulter ?

How is it?
Would I pick Poulter now? I doubt it, Would I even pick Garcia now? again probably not, but he'd be deserving of more consideration surely than Woods or Poulter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next