The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting to Grips with a club

+6
super_realist
oldshanker
K@S
1GrumpyGolfer
McLaren
Maverick
10 posters

Go down

Getting to Grips with a club Empty Getting to Grips with a club

Post by Maverick Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:56 am

We have a good thread running on here about good looking sets of clubs. Much is made of a clubs aesthetics, its feel and its image to some degree.

What about one of the forgotten items of a club setup and one that directly affects both the clubs and the players performance the "GRIP"

This evening I've just re-gripped every club in my bag from driver through to wedges, changed from a multi compound golf pride grip and put on some Black Widow Tour Silk grips (White one's)

Taking them out on the course tomorrow for the first 606v2 eclectic round so will get a good feel for using them, but have to say they feel lovely and tacky they also look a bit funky.

So what grips do you have
What do you look for in grip performance
How often do you change grips

My answers would be:
Black Widow Tour Silks
Stickyness so and something that feels unrestrictive
Once a year, minimum

Here's the link for anyone that hasn't seen the black widow grips, not cheapest at 9quid a piece but I got a bit of discount and saved on fitting fees by doing myself
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_PS0039_A_cn_E_10074

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Getting to Grips with a club Empty Re: Getting to Grips with a club

Post by McLaren Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:35 am

Golf Pride multi compound.

I think I like these grips because the traction between your hand and the club comes from abrasion rather than the rubber feeling sticky. This may, in fact is, total paranoia but I find that a stickier grip causes me to hook it. Oddly more grip seems to make me take a stronger grip.

I tend to change them when ever I feel the time is right, vague I know but I just tend to change once the grip is not quite how I like it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:53 pm

I have Winn grips X17s on all of my clubs except the wedges. I like them because they were reasonably tacky and felt comfortable as I don't like to use a glove. I probably regrip every two years as I feel like I only play half a year and wouldn't get the value.

Next regrip will be with a Lamkin grip, I borrowed a guys driver and the grip felt so tacky and soft that the Winns will be a thing of the past.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:54 pm

I change my grips every year and have been using Sharpro dualcompound.
http://www.sharprogrip.com/grips_DualCompound.html
I had to change the grips on my second set of clubs in a bit of a rush and the only available grips were Innovation multicompound and they worked quite well in the wet.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:40 pm

I regularly change my grips and have found that I like the Lamkin Tour series oversize. Not because I've got huge hands - although they are quite big, but because my hands are not as supple as they used to be and I can hold oversize grips easier.

Started changing the grips myself 2 years ago because of an article on 606 by I forget who - could have been s_r - where they said just how easy it was and it is.

I'm in the middle of changing grips on my Marumans and regrooving at the same time.

I was outbid on some of those Black Widows Mav - but that is probably because I'm a bit of a cheapskate! Shocked

tip: make sure you clean off all of the 'milking' that comes from the solvent activated tape. Otherwise is will drip down the shaft and the insides of your bag will stick to it. Erm That is a real tip, don't read anything more into it................too late. Doh
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Oldshanker

It was goldwolf who provided us with all the info needed to change grips and I too change my own grips after reading his advice.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Goldie - of course. I wonder if he has a tip for easy regrooving that doesn't involve paying someone else or one of these stupid regroover tools.

Another tip - when using a regroover tool, put some masking tape on both ends of the face - not your face Mac! Wink - and then regroove, then if you slip a bit, the tape stops the tool from scarring the face!

Last edited by oldshanker on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fat fingers again)
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:36 am

Change my grips myself (strange set of satisfaction) on an annual basis. This year I have all white Lamkin Performance Plus 3 Gen.
I have found them to be very good so far.

One tip, When cleaning grips add a smidge of white spirit to your soapy water, helps make the grip that wee bit more sticky and grippy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:05 am

Golf Pride Multi Compound, in white.

Just bought some VDR grips too (white, of course). Look nice, but haven't tried them yet. http://golfpride.com/Grips/Default.aspx?cat=noncord&grip=vdr#

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerw12 Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:42 am

You are all going to laugh but I still use GolfPride Swingrite full cord grips. About 10 years ago I bought a job lot off eBay as I love them. I only have 3 left now so I'm going to be on the hunt for some new ones. I may end up going for the v55 full cord as they seem to be quite similar.

Tigerw12

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:00 am

I used to be a big fan of the V55 grips but I always use a ribbed grip. Sadly, you can now only get the round version of the V55 so I've switched to the tour velvet instead.

Unfortuneately, there is quite a limited choice of ribbed grips Sad

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:04 am

I previously used New Decade Multi-compount, but i actually found the surfaces to be too...erm...textured. By that, i mean i was very aware of the grooves and ridges in my hand - whereas i feel that a grip should just sit there and do it's job quietly and efficiently. So, i moved to BCT Cords, and i prefer the feel of these, but here in Dubai, the combination of sun, sweat, dust, sand etc is pretty harsh on the grips, and the BCT's only really last about 6 months or so. The Multi Compounds lasted significantly longer, but even with those i'd change around every 9 months.

Here in this climate, the clubs that get a lot of use - for example my 54 degree wedge and the pitching wedge - probably need regripping every 4-6 months to maintain peak performance, but of course that is expensive and time consuming (and i'm not a pro!) so i change mine every 6-9 months or so.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down