The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skyrim

+9
President Trump
Adam D
compelling and rich
Dass
Scottrf
The Galveston Giant
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
AlexHuckerby
ADMIN
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Skyrim Empty Skyrim

Post by ADMIN Mon 14 Nov - 0:05

So who else has got it and what do you think so far?

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Skyrim Empty Re: Skyrim

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Nov - 4:12

not got it but only heard good things however must warn you if you didnt like oblivion or the console versions of the fallout series i would imagine you wont enjoy this.

but seems good and love these games so i will be buying. warning the game will be slow at the beginning no doubt, must give it time.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 14 Nov - 9:10

I'm hoping to get it when I get my new playstation at Christmas. Do you have to have played Oblivion, or does it stand alone well?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 14 Nov - 9:46

Looking forward to it, can't afford it right now but will purchase just after christmas if not before.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 14 Nov - 9:51

Yep, loving it, killed a mammoth by hiding in a hut yesterday, and the dragon sequence was awesome. Like the perks system and otherwise pouring everything into magicka, as a mage, level 10 so far.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 14 Nov - 9:52

Sounds good Scott, on my second play through on rage, if i get that done i'll have a few games to trade in for it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 14 Nov - 10:37

AlexHuckerby wrote:not got it but only heard good things however must warn you if you didnt like oblivion or the console versions of the fallout series i would imagine you wont enjoy this.

but seems good and love these games so i will be buying. warning the game will be slow at the beginning no doubt, must give it time.

Don't necessarily agree with the Oblivion/Fallout remark, I'm not the biggest fan of either of those games for various reasons other than the fact of their open world first person perspective. I can't completely comment on Skyrim just yet as I've not delved deep enough into it yet but it's doing far more for me at this stage than either of those previously mentioned games did.

I'd agree if you didn't like the play style of those games then you're probably not going to like Skyrim.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 14 Nov - 10:42

Why would you like Skyrim but not Oblivion? I'd suggest if you didn't like Oblivion you wont like this.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 14 Nov - 10:43

Electric Demon wrote:I'm hoping to get it when I get my new playstation at Christmas. Do you have to have played Oblivion, or does it stand alone well?

It stands alone Electric, the only advantage of playing the previous four games (plus numerous expansions) in the series is occasionally from a historical point or extra depth to certain references that may come up. On the whole all the games are made to be completely new experiences within the same continent, though the last game deviated slightly from this continent at times.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 14 Nov - 10:47

played and loved oblivion even if it was slow at times and levels in the other world (forgotten its name) were very repetative. im hoping ive been a good boy and father christmas brings it me!! angel

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 14 Nov - 10:56

Scottrf wrote:Why would you like Skyrim but not Oblivion? I'd suggest if you didn't like Oblivion you wont like this.

To name one beyond just a superficial visual presentation I'd have to say the scaling of dungeons/items/mobs and certain other environments in Oblvion over the previous games was a major draw back.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 14 Nov - 11:00

Never found that a problem, didn't mind the difficulty of the dungeons. In fact it got too easy with the enchantments you could put on armour such as deflect damage, I didn't have to do anything for the enemies to kill themselves.

Looks like enchanting is at least as powerful on this.

What you could do on this though is visit every dungeon at level one, and then they will be incredibly easy when you are a higher level. Not sure that sounds better.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 14 Nov - 11:02

I'm going destruction magicka at present, currently lvl 6. Burning up some undead and frostbite spiders last night.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 14 Nov - 11:05

so theres not levels/dungeons that constantly repeat themselves on skyrim? my only gripe on obilvion

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 14 Nov - 11:20

Scottrf wrote:Never found that a problem, didn't mind the difficulty of the dungeons. In fact it got too easy with the enchantments you could put on armour such as deflect damage, I didn't have to do anything for the enemies to kill themselves.

Looks like enchanting is at least as powerful on this.

What you could do on this though is visit every dungeon at level one, and then they will be incredibly easy when you are a higher level. Not sure that sounds better.

Level scaling blind like Oblivion did will always make things far to easy in many respects, its just a simple way to milk more from content/items etc that wasn't present in the previous games. At least they have modified it somewhat for Skyrim and seem to have put some thought into how to keep the combat challenge while still using the same base model.

Everything I've read suggests your last paragraph is to simple a look at the new system, since every time you revisit a dungeon the game should automatically scale it based on your characters level and other factors not present in Oblivion. Especially from a quest perspective the game should work them into close by new areas you haven't visited and then generate the mobs to counter balance your character.

I'm still not a huge scaling fan but at least they have tried to be more inventive this time over Oblivion's more simplistic slap dash attempt.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 14 Nov - 11:22

compelling and rich wrote:so theres not levels/dungeons that constantly repeat themselves on skyrim? my only gripe on obilvion

Dungeons on the whole should respawn after a few days in game for the most part though there will be dungeons exempt to this. Hope that helps.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 14 Nov - 14:39

I should probably be more clear as I was in a rush when I wrote the above statements and re-reading them they aren't especially clear or correct in their context.

Dungeons in Skyrim will work on a a hidden level base, which your current level will then be used to determine how that hidden level model should scale. An example would be a Dungeon with a hidden level of 30-40 which you enter at level 25, all mobs will then be set to the bottom of that hidden scale resulting in them being level 30. If you were to enter the same dungeon at Level 35 then the mobs would sit at that level for all future adventures into said dungeon no mater your level thereafter.

There's comments to suggest that once a dungeon is cleared and subsequently the mobs spawn, they should do at a harder difficulty. I take this to mean they should respawn at the top end of the hidden scale if you have out leveled the dungeon. Though trying to confirm mechanics at times often becomes a chore when they are not released clearly by the developer through either choice or laziness.

The only mobs I'm aware that still scale on a simple linear basis are the Dragons though there may be others.

The Skyrim quest system (Radiant) will still work changing many aspects of quests including locations, outcomes, environment and mobs based on your character play style.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 14 Nov - 14:49

If anyone wants to buy it, do so through our amazon affiliate code please!!!!

Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 14 Nov - 14:50

What's this Adam?

What do I have to do?

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 14 Nov - 14:52

Demon - we have set up an account with Amazon.

Basically the price is the same as if you bought direct, however, we get a small percentage of each sale done through our link.

So if the price is there or thereabouts, buying it through the link above will help us meet the running costs of the forum.

The same goes for anything on Amazon - we are going to be launching a shop any day with full details. So if you want to buy a Ipad or Kindle for Xmas, do it through the link please!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 14 Nov - 14:57

Would you need a specific link for each product, or will there just be a general Amazon link, and if you use it, any product you look at and then buy will help v2?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 14 Nov - 15:00

If I'd know Adam I would have used it for buying Skyrim, though if its the case of buying anything through Amazon will be like this I'll use your link in future. I purchase quite a lot of books per month and normally have a £300-700 DVD order every 4 months also.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 14 Nov - 15:10

not sure on a link for each product.

How we think it works is that if you go into amazon through our link (ie the one above), as long as you dont close the window and continue to shop, we get credited with all sales.

Its something that we are checking.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 14 Nov - 16:11

I hope you've started thinking of something properly awesome to say for your 10,000th post Adam!

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 14 Nov - 16:19

Electric Demon wrote:I hope you've started thinking of something properly awesome to say for your 10,000th post Adam!
Why change the habit of a lifetime?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Nov - 1:52

Dass wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Why would you like Skyrim but not Oblivion? I'd suggest if you didn't like Oblivion you wont like this.

To name one beyond just a superficial visual presentation I'd have to say the scaling of dungeons/items/mobs and certain other environments in Oblvion over the previous games was a major draw back.

Slightly superficial though surely? I would put it down to if you thought Oblivion was pants you'll think this is pants 9 times out of 10.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 16 Nov - 8:03

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Dass wrote:

Slightly superficial though surely? I would put it down to if you thought Oblivion was pants you'll think this is pants 9 times out of 10.

I consider the game mechanics to be the core of any game beyond anything else and in Oblivion's case there was some serious issues with regards how it developed as a game. I suppose you could have made the same statement around Daggerfall and then Morrowind, there was plenty of people who have enjoyed previous incarnations of the Elder Scrolls series only to have serious issues with a future installment the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion being prob the biggest.

There's no doubt some folk will dive straight into Skyrim based on Oblivion experience's and notice no difference at all but there's plenty who will and that's why I felt using Oblivion as a model to like this game was a bit simplistic. As for superficial reasons, about the only thing I consider in that category as far as games are concerned are graphics since they are the least important part of any game.

Loved Morrowind, disliked Oblivion & enjoying Skyrim so far. Wink

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 18 Nov - 21:14

Just found a dragon causing absolute mayhem setting fire to giants and mammoths, so was slowly draining his health while avoiding being trampled by a mammoth. Killed him, just as I was absorbing his soul a giant smashes me 100 feet in the air...

This game is awesome.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 19 Nov - 1:31

will get skyrim next payday methinks

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon 21 Nov - 10:32

I bought it on Saturday and only got a chance to play it last night and didnt stop til after 2 this morning, its a truely brilliant game as my mate called it "Oblivion with bells on" I just didnt want to stop playing it well worth the money and the map inside was a nice touch Very Happy

Just one question is there anyway to get people back that you have kinda lost lol, I excepted the Golden Claw quest off the Trade post bloke in the first town and pressed my magic button by mistake, this caused him and his sister to attack me, so I ran off and waded across the river where they followed me but I left them and now there shop is locked and I can complete the bloody quest Doh

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 21 Nov - 10:37

Can't you reload an old autosave?

I think the scaling on this game is broken to be honest. I'm a mage who has been stacking health, but due to having enchanting maxed I don't use magicka, and can take down mammoths in about 3 seconds.

I'm using clothing and never die, if I used armour all the challenge would be lost.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon 21 Nov - 10:41

You can but Im not gonna ive done loads since then and im not going back, I might take a look for them and if I cant find them meh

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 21 Nov - 11:03

Are you on PC? There are console commands to take you to people if so.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 21 Nov - 11:32

Scottrf wrote:Just found a dragon causing absolute mayhem setting fire to giants and mammoths, so was slowly draining his health while avoiding being trampled by a mammoth. Killed him, just as I was absorbing his soul a giant smashes me 100 feet in the air...

This game is awesome.

I think I know exactly the place as I tried to pull the dragon in between the lot of them, mammoths though ignored the fact they were getting on fire and joined in on the game of squish the mage.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon 21 Nov - 12:08

Scottrf wrote:Are you on PC? There are console commands to take you to people if so.

No Xbox, im not too pust tbh its just annoying because the quest is 99.9% finished

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Nov - 12:06

Dicey Reilly wrote:I bought it on Saturday and only got a chance to play it last night and didnt stop til after 2 this morning, its a truely brilliant game as my mate called it "Oblivion with bells on" I just didnt want to stop playing it well worth the money and the map inside was a nice touch Very Happy

Just one question is there anyway to get people back that you have kinda lost lol, I excepted the Golden Claw quest off the Trade post bloke in the first town and pressed my magic button by mistake, this caused him and his sister to attack me, so I ran off and waded across the river where they followed me but I left them and now there shop is locked and I can complete the bloody quest Doh

The game auto saves over a few slots so would pick an autosave prior to your magical happy slapping and accept the quest again.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 23 Nov - 9:03

K-PX0110 wrote:
Dicey Reilly wrote:I bought it on Saturday and only got a chance to play it last night and didnt stop til after 2 this morning, its a truely brilliant game as my mate called it "Oblivion with bells on" I just didnt want to stop playing it well worth the money and the map inside was a nice touch Very Happy

The game auto saves over a few slots so would pick an autosave prior to your magical happy slapping and accept the quest again.

Can remember the same on Fallout 3 if you shot at the guy who runs the shop in the huge ship, although it can be fatal it's more realistic than them just standing there. My mate has got it and is going to trade me it for Rage when he's finished. Or so he says.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Fri 25 Nov - 15:50

I see what your saying but I didn't kill them I just did the roar and they chased me until I lost them on the other side of the river, but they simply just didnt return to their shop and in not doing so I cant complete the blooming quest mad

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Nov - 1:57

Spent the whole weekend playing it and still doesn't feel like i've got anywhere nor do I have any gold to upgrade my current weapons, start doing a quest then get sidetracked and then sidetracked again. Keep meaning to clear all the active quests i've got but so damm hard to do, got home from work and decided that a certain mission needed completing, 4 hours later it was still not done and now have about 20 active quests. Saying it has about 500 hours of gameplay seems a bit conservative thus far.

I'm an imperial warrior type guy, can't be bothered with all this magick stuff.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 29 Nov - 9:26

Anyone finding it lacks a challenge? Maybe it's because of the simple combat system but don't really have any fear of dying or needing to use tactics and that's after increasing the difficulty. Died from falling more times than combat.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 29 Nov - 17:42

I've got it now, with not playing oblivion i'm struggling with it a bit just now, think i might start again. Too easy to get sidetracked.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 29 Nov - 17:54

It's not so much down to the combat system which isn't hugely different in style from something like Dark/Demon Souls. It's more to do with poor class/skill balancing on Bethesda's part, plus with their NPC leveling mechanic nothing is every going to be out with your level range (other than Dragons). Though the Dragons will be placed intentionally to be around your level when you reach them.

I've not looked to closely this time around at the game mechanics behind the combat system but I'd assume there's some serious problems with it. Then again it's no great surprise that it's easier than a previous installment (though Oblivion was ridiculously easy as well) with the current trend of games headed that way, plus Bethesda aren't known for great storytelling or challenging games on the whole.

If you're lucky enough to be playing a PC version of the gaming then your first task as with most games is to rank up the difficulty to top and then go searching for AI/difficulty increasing mods.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 29 Nov - 20:22

I don't know if i was expecting to much but i kind of feel let down by Skyrim.
It was one of the two games I've been looking forward to all year, but it hasn't lived up to my expections.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu 1 Dec - 20:34

I was playing Morrowind a short while back and found it amazing of course but I was wondering if Skyrim's been improved in areas such as making the world more believable. I mean like the people in the towns actually doing things other than standing around or when you escort people as part of a quest they actually get on with what it was they were supposed to do at the place you took them to.

I guess what I'm asking is is it just like Morrowind but bigger and with better graphics or have other aspects moved forward as well?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 19 Dec - 9:20

How are you guys getting on? I'm at level 37.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 19 Dec - 9:39

I'm at lvl 25 and am a destruction mage, have the staff that summons a demon so tend to use that at the beginning of combat to tank everything whilst I nuke from a distance. Dragons don't seem to be an issue at all now, from what used to be something that I'd run a mile from now I actively hunt them down. Still have occasional problems though with the end of dungeon boss.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon 19 Dec - 9:48

Im level 13 now, ive only played a few times but had great fun sacrificing the WinterRun guards lastnight so I could kill a Giant, that'll teach them for giving up adventuring after taking an arrow to the knee Wink

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 19 Dec - 10:19

This person gave up adventuring a while ago...

Spoiler:

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 19 Dec - 10:20

Macclads (formerly Hero) wrote:I'm at lvl 25 and am a destruction mage, have the staff that summons a demon so tend to use that at the beginning of combat to tank everything whilst I nuke from a distance. Dragons don't seem to be an issue at all now, from what used to be something that I'd run a mile from now I actively hunt them down. Still have occasional problems though with the end of dungeon boss.

The Dragons are amazing, i like watching them cruisae about in the distance, causing mayhem or just gliding silently looking for trouble. I tend to spint towards the dragons when they land using the Whirlwind shout, i've had a few killcams where he's jumped on the dragons head to finish it off, great stuff.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 19 Dec - 10:20

Level 2, not had that much time to play it thus far and the time I have spent on the Xbox has mainly been playing Rage which I am actually really getting into.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next